Lower East Side today?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Re: Lower East Side today?

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Extortion wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:18 pm
JeremyTheJew wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:17 pm Oh wait I forgot it's 2020.

It's only hipsters.

Same with Williamsburg
Also not entirely. Williamsburg is mostly gentrified but many old school joints still exist but as far as population, it’s mostly younger and gentrified. I used to live in Greenpoint so I know but people like to put labels on them neighborhoods but its only about 50%-70% accurate cause there are also minorities and hoods in east williamsburg by Bushwick but theres some old school joints on graham and withers
Graham st ur talking about the giant Cooper PJs. Get a 45$ bundle of dope.

And yes the real LES is all PJs. From Houston to what.... Smith houses?? You got Baruch, grand etc. Alphabet city has all the Ave d buildings. I use to stay in Jacob riis building.

Now BK ik a lot better....
I stayed off the J/M train Myrtle stops which was right next to Knickerbocker. That is the only area that you can feel a "mafia like" presence and it's more PR then Italian.

I stayed a few years in bed stuy. Which has almost no mafia presence. The G train was a block away. Nostrand Ave.

Greenpoint is like a Jewish / somewhat black hood.
Kinda like crown heights
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
Peppermint
Full Patched

Post by Peppermint »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:01 pm

It's only hipsters.

Same with Williamsburg
Also not entirely. Williamsburg is mostly gentrified but many old school joints still exist but as far as population, it’s mostly younger and gentrified. I used to live in Greenpoint so I know but people like to put labels on them neighborhoods but its only about 50%-70% accurate cause there are also minorities and hoods in east williamsburg by Bushwick but theres some old school joints on graham and withers
I stayed off the J/M train Myrtle stops which was right next to Knickerbocker. That is the only area that you can feel a "mafia like" presence and it's more PR then Italian.
Good old Knickerbocker, what’s the neighboring establishments like? What kind of businesses have they become?

Johnny Biello and my Great Grandfather Louie Lombardi used to use the Knickerbocker’s phones as means of communication, since the Pepperment didn’t have phones due to bugging concerns.

Surprised that such an atmosphere still lingers there
It’s Blood alone, that moves the wheels of history
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

Flushing wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:21 pm
newera_212 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:51 pm
Flushing wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:53 pm

It's only hipsters.

Same with Williamsburg
East Williamsburg still has a vestige of Italian. Fortunato Brothers, Bamonte's, the feast (which I guess is cancelled this year)

Who knows if any of these barely-hanging-on Italian neighborhoods will survive after covid.
was pleasantly surprised, although not too surprised, to see Fortunato Brothers open right now during Covid. i passed by there last sunday morning and picked a bunch of shit up. not my favorite place but its still pretty good and ill support it every time im in that area. my uncle is friends with mario who apparently is a pretty good guy, and also a very rich guy. supposedly owns tons of buildings in williamsburg, including the building the bakery is in. he gutted an apartment in the building and turned it into a giant dining room to host dinners according to my uncle. pretty badass considering 1 bed apartments are renting over there for 2g’s a month easily.

as far as bakeries go i really like gian pietro in astoria. underrated, understated place...insane bread. also the bakery sal catalano owned in middle village is still open under a different name and is really good as well.

back to the LES, outside of the “recent arrivals” its probably the most diverse neighborhood in the USA. even now. between the mitchell lamas and projects, the old artists, the younger people with money, the chinese, old jews, etc... you got every type of person living down there. awesome neighborhood with a lot of history. if you think about it, if you’re 3rd gen irish american, italian american, puerto rican american, german american, etc,,. then theres a good chance you can trace your roots somewhere on your family tree to the LES / 4th ward. its an interesting place for sure
I really need to get up to Astoria more often before it vanishes into the hipster ether.

Honorable mention: the last Italian business in Bushwick,.
Circo's Pastry Shop. Started in 1945. Survived the riots, the arsons and the Bonannos. I hope they survive covid because I've always wanted to try this place out. Photo attached:
Screenshot_20200511-001605~2.png
hell yeah thank you im definitely going to check this place out
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:01 pm

It's only hipsters.

Same with Williamsburg
Graham st ur talking about the giant Cooper PJs. Get a 45$ bundle of dope.

And yes the real LES is all PJs. From Houston to what.... Smith houses?? You got Baruch, grand etc. Alphabet city has all the Ave d buildings. I use to stay in Jacob riis building.

I stayed a few years in bed stuy. Which has almost no mafia presence. The G train was a block away. Nostrand Ave.

Greenpoint is like a Jewish / somewhat black hood.
Kinda like crown heights
nah on Graham Ave thats the Williamsburg Houses. thats more in the ‘actual neighborhood’ and not too far from Fortunato Bros, short little walk from where Napolitano’s Motion Lounge was, etc...

Cooper Houses are on Kingsland Ave on like the border of Greenpoint and East Williamsburg in a super desolate, remote, and still very industrial area. i dont think they are notorious or notable as being a crazy, dangerous project - but just because of the location, its gotta be one of the worst places in all of NYC to live.

your point still stands though, kingsland ave is a big dope spot...right off the Meeker Morgan exit on the BQE. Still very very active to this day, although bundles are probably like $60 now im guessing
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

In Cooper that's what they were known for when I lived in BK.

Now I have not been to these neighborhoods in over 5 years and haven't lived in then for almost 8 now and the transformation of BK started around 12 or so years ago.

Now I saw something about Queens, Astoria. Now that is one of the few places that I believe is still a area where u can feel a small bit of nostalgia. A lot of Italians too.

New York is 100% changed.
When I was there... There were areas where you'd walk thru certain parks (thompkins sq park) In alohaville and youd see ppl actively shooting up drugs.... As well as sesame street being filmed in same park.
Get this....
There is schools surrounding the area and they would WALK THROUGH these parks and the famous "crusty row" would be in changed.... Thompkins was a well known place back then.
LES was my main hangout.
I lived in BED STUY and sold dope in LES.

Back then it was just so different. Everything changed there....

They use to say...
Ave A stay away
Ave B better shed blood
Ave C get Crills (crack)
Ave D your dead
Cacuzza
Straightened out

Post by Cacuzza »

It's only hipsters.

Same with Williamsburg
East Williamsburg still has a vestige of Italian. Fortunato Brothers, Bamonte's, the feast (which I guess is cancelled this year)

Who knows if any of these barely-hanging-on Italian neighborhoods will survive after covid.
The Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel (the week of July 16) in Williamsburg is cancelled this year because of the virus.
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Cacuzza wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:15 pm

It's only hipsters.

Same with Williamsburg

The Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel (the week of July 16) in Williamsburg is cancelled this year because of the virus.
That's the best Italian feast left in New York. The neighborhood is no longer that Italian, but a few are still there and everyone returns for the feast.
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Williamsburg Brooklyn yesterday almost had a riot when a hispanic couple saw Jews walking in a crowd, many without facemarks and called the police. They made the mistake of getting out and yelling at them, a fight broke out and they were arrested for pulling masses off a few. Crazy shit. Jews have been fighting Hispanics and a few Blacks for over 30 years there now, that is Williamsburg for you. The old days are long gone.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/11/couple-ar ... -brooklyn/
TommyShots
Straightened out

Post by TommyShots »

bert wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:07 pm Williamsburg Brooklyn yesterday almost had a riot when a hispanic couple saw Jews walking in a crowd, many without facemarks and called the police. They made the mistake of getting out and yelling at them, a fight broke out and they were arrested for pulling masses off a few. Crazy shit. Jews have been fighting Hispanics and a few Blacks for over 30 years there now, that is Williamsburg for you. The old days are long gone.

The couple of times I went to Southern Brooklyn & surrounding areas that’s dominated by Jews, it’s like a different world, they do whatever they want basically.
crabby appleton
Straightened out

Post by crabby appleton »

TommyShots wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:11 pm
bert wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:07 pm Williamsburg Brooklyn yesterday almost had a riot when a hispanic couple saw Jews walking in a crowd, many without facemarks and called the police. They made the mistake of getting out and yelling at them, a fight broke out and they were arrested for pulling masses off a few. Crazy shit. Jews have been fighting Hispanics and a few Blacks for over 30 years there now, that is Williamsburg for you. The old days are long gone.

The couple of times I went to Southern Brooklyn & surrounding areas that’s dominated by Jews, it’s like a different world, they do whatever they want basically.
They even have their own EMS. Does the Brooklyn based Jewish EMS respond to Gentiles or non Jews? This question isn't intended to be anti-Semitic, its asked out of curiosity.
crabby appleton
Straightened out

Post by crabby appleton »

bert wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:02 pm
Cacuzza wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:15 pm

It's only hipsters.

Same with Williamsburg

That's the best Italian feast left in New York. The neighborhood is no longer that Italian, but a few are still there and everyone returns for the feast.
They used to have an annual Our lady of Mount Carmel Feast in East Harlem. If they still have it I would imagine it is cancelled this year too. But I don't know if they even have it anymore or whether it has died out over the years. If I recall it is a smaller event than the one in Williamsburg. Williamsburg is a week long block party. I hope they have it next year.
Extortion
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Extortion »

Midwood is almost all jewish. I hate the hasids, not the regular jews. They stare at you and are confrontational and could never hold their own in a fight so i dont understand why they bother? So ppl can fight them and then they cry hate crime? Happens a lot in brooklyn and a lot of the time it is their fault cause They talk a lot of shit
“In Italian, La Cosa Nostra is also known as ‘our headache.’” -Jerry Anguilo
Flushing
Straightened out

Post by Flushing »

Extortion wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:52 pm

Midwood is almost all jewish. I hate the hasids, not the regular jews. They stare at you and are confrontational and could never hold their own in a fight so i dont understand why they bother? So ppl can fight them and then they cry hate crime? Happens a lot in brooklyn and a lot of the time it is their fault cause They talk a lot of shit
All I'll say is that it's absolutely incredible how the hipster/yuppie invasion skipped right over orthodox Williamsburg and orthodox crown heights. I mean the gentrification has taken huge swaths of formerly off-limits neighborhoods like bed stuy and Bushwick and sunset park and is heading towards Brownsville...

But gentrification never penetrated those orthodox neighborhoods. Surely there is an explanation, as it's illegal to rent and sell only to a specific race or religion.

What an enigma.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

When we lived off of Bedford Ave we use to walk to Williamsburg bridge and occasionally my moron gf would get lost... She's ask for directions.... And then little Jew fuck curled assholes wouldn't even tell her where she was!
Uncle Pete
Straightened out

Post by Uncle Pete »

Flushing wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:10 pm
Extortion wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:52 pm

All I'll say is that it's absolutely incredible how the hipster/yuppie invasion skipped right over orthodox Williamsburg and orthodox crown heights. I mean the gentrification has taken huge swaths of formerly off-limits neighborhoods like bed stuy and Bushwick and sunset park and is heading towards Brownsville...

But gentrification never penetrated those orthodox neighborhoods. Surely there is an explanation, as it's illegal to rent and sell only to a specific race or religion.

What an enigma.
After that shooting in Jersey City back last year, I read that about 100 Hasidic Jews from Brooklyn pooled they money together and began purchasing cheap houses in a predominantly black neighborhood and continued to rent them out to the local community for quite some time. Once they accumulated a few entire blocks, they all moved in and it becomes their own little stronghold in the middle of a black neighborhood