Vincenzo Troia thread

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

cavita
Full Patched

Re: Vincenzo Troia thread

Post by cavita »

I'm wondering if anyone here has researched LCN ties in Frankfort, New York as there seems to be some connected San Giuseppe guys there starting around 1910 and on. Salvatore Immordino, Frank Longo, the Caiola family and even the Cangelosi families all seemed to settle there for awhile before moving on. It makes me wonder what the draw was with that city at the time.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

cavita wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:47 pm I'm wondering if anyone here has researched LCN ties in Frankfort, New York as there seems to be some connected San Giuseppe guys there starting around 1910 and on. Salvatore Immordino, Frank Longo, the Caiola family and even the Cangelosi families all seemed to settle there for awhile before moving on. It makes me wonder what the draw was with that city at the time.
Might be worth digging into other Sicilian residents there at the time to see if any other familiar surnames crop up.

Utica is also of interest to me. Giuseppe Aiello of Chicago fame lived there for a time I believe and had relatives there. He was from Bagheria and there seemed to be a closely connected network of guys from that area east of Palermo around the US at the time that would later be centralized in Illinois and Wisconsin, as well as California. I wonder if the SGI guys were tapped into that at all if they were in Frankfort, near Utica. Along the lines of what I was just saying in the "number of families" topic, my hunch is there may have been a distinct but small mafia group in the Utica area that was later brought under the Buffalo fold as a decina by the 1930s, but even then they were a pretty autonomous group.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

I should also add that Vincenzo Troia was arrested on September 23, 1929 on charges of murdering three-year old Frank Gelosi and seriously injuring the boy's father Joe Gelosi, a local bootlegger, in Madison, Wisconsin. Also charged along with Troia was Madison resident Frank Guidera. Troia, who the newspapers said was using the alias Lorenzo Salvatore, gave his address as 1501 Clifton Avenue, Rockford, which was the home of Anna DeMarco. DeMarco was once married to Jack DeMarco, a big Rockford bootlegger who was murdered in January 1932. The newspapers also said that Troia was using the last names Ruffino and Salvato. Troia would eventually be released off all the charges in the murder investigation when witnesses stated he was in Rockford at the time of the murder.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Does anyone have any information on Troia's movements after he entered the country from the period 1925-1927? I'm assuming he spent some time in New York and then Madison, Wisconsin. The earliest I can pin him to Rockford is March 1927 when he donated to a fund for the family of Rockford Police officer Cichella who died. At that time he was using the alias Lorenzo Salvato. I can't find evidence he spent time in Madison but I know he had to because of Joe Gelosi of that city naming Troia and Charles Guidera as the killers of his three year old son. It's almost certain Troia spent some time in Madison due to the heavy population of people from San Giuseppe Iato. The aliases Troia used were Lorenzo Salvato/Salvata, Louis Ruffino, Salvatore Ruffino, Elia Costanza and Joe Caioli/Caiola
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

cavita wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:10 am Does anyone have any information on Troia's movements after he entered the country from the period 1925-1927? I'm assuming he spent some time in New York and then Madison, Wisconsin. The earliest I can pin him to Rockford is March 1927 when he donated to a fund for the family of Rockford Police officer Cichella who died. At that time he was using the alias Lorenzo Salvato. I can't find evidence he spent time in Madison but I know he had to because of Joe Gelosi of that city naming Troia and Charles Guidera as the killers of his three year old son. It's almost certain Troia spent some time in Madison due to the heavy population of people from San Giuseppe Iato. The aliases Troia used were Lorenzo Salvato/Salvata, Louis Ruffino, Salvatore Ruffino, Elia Costanza and Joe Caioli/Caiola
I don’t have any confirmatory evidence myself either for those years, but I strongly suspect that he was in Madison also. Along with the Gelosi thing, there was also the Madison Vincenzo Troia, who was probably a cousin, who married Ninfa Manderino of SGJ in Madison in 1925. That other Troia also spent some time in St Paul in the 1920s, and thus it might be worth looking into there was any evidence that Troia or one of his aliases was ever documented in MN in this period as well.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

cavita wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:10 am Does anyone have any information on Troia's movements after he entered the country from the period 1925-1927? I'm assuming he spent some time in New York and then Madison, Wisconsin. The earliest I can pin him to Rockford is March 1927
cavita wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:14 am Vincenzo “Big Vince” Troia:
1925 allegedly entered the U.S. illegally while disguised as a monk according to the May 31, 1934 Rockford Register Republic who quoted immigration authorities.
I'm pretty sure that Troia entered the country to attend the 28th International Eucharistic Congress which took place in Chicago from June 20 to 24, 1926.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

JoelTurner wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:06 am
cavita wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:10 am Does anyone have any information on Troia's movements after he entered the country from the period 1925-1927? I'm assuming he spent some time in New York and then Madison, Wisconsin. The earliest I can pin him to Rockford is March 1927
1925 allegedly entered the U.S. illegally while disguised as a monk according to the May 31, 1934 Rockford Register Republic who quoted immigration authorities.
I'm pretty sure that Troia entered the country to attend the 28th International Eucharistic Congress which took place in Chicago from June 20 to 24, 1926.
That would make perfect sense as to why he was in monk's robes. I may have to check Chicago newspapers and see if I can find him there from 1925-1927
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

cavita wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:31 am
That would make perfect sense as to why he was in monk's robes. I may have to check Chicago newspapers and see if I can find him there from 1925-1927
I checked for Troia in the Chicago papers and nothing came up. Unless he was arrested or indicted, there's no reason for his name to show up.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:02 pm
cavita wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:31 am
I checked for Troia in the Chicago papers and nothing came up. Unless he was arrested or indicted, there's no reason for his name to show up.
Yeah, I was hoping against hope he may show up but he could also have used an as yet unknown alias.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

On Nov 10 1930, in Freeport, IL; Vincenzo Troia was indicted as a part of a large liquor ring.

He paid a $10 000 bail under the name Loranze Salvata and gave an address of 1400 Clifton St.

Some other notable names on that indictment were:

- Philip Vella - 218 15th St

- Tony Domino - 1122 S Main St

- Theodore Ingrassia - 1130 Main St

- Tony LaPuma - 1501 Clifton St

- Paul Giovingo - 1033 Montague Rd

- Tony Giovingo - 1033 Montague Rd

- Paul Scamardo - 709 Morgan St

- Tony Musso - 1120 Ferguson St

- Leo Rocconi - 411 Lincoln St [IDK who’s Rocconi; this was Troia’s store address]

- Jack DeMarco - Romona and Montague rd 

- Theodore LaFranka - No address

(https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/984923627/)

—————————————————————

A Feb 4 1931 article discussing Tony Domino’s sentencing mentions that Troia, under the name Big Vince Salvatore, had previously been sentenced to 30 days in Stephenson county jail for contempt of court. He had called a witness a liar.

(https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/320456047/)

—————————————————————

On Jun 1 1934, Troia was mentioned as a prisoner, under the name Lorenzo Salvatore, in jail in Ottawa, IL. This was for liquor & tax reasons.

I’m not sure if this stemmed from the same arrest as the May 3 1934 one with Frank Longo and Phil Picciuro that’s mentioned in the original post.

(https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/81841099/)
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

JoelTurner wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:28 pm On Nov 10 1930, in Freeport, IL; Vincenzo Troia was indicted as a part of a large liquor ring.

He paid a $10 000 bail under the name Loranze Salvata and gave an address of 1400 Clifton St.

- Leo Rocconi - 411 Lincoln St [IDK who’s Rocconi; this was Troia’s store address]

—————————————————————

A Feb 4 1931 article discussing Tony Domino’s sentencing mentions that Troia, under the name Big Vince Salvatore, had previously been sentenced to 30 days in Stephenson county jail for contempt of court. He had called a witness a liar.

—————————————————————

On Jun 1 1934, Troia was mentioned as a prisoner, under the name Lorenzo Salvatore, in jail in Ottawa, IL. This was for liquor & tax reasons.

I’m not sure if this stemmed from the same arrest as the May 3 1934 one with Frank Longo and Phil Picciuro that’s mentioned in the original post.

Leo Rocconi was an alias used by Gaspare "Jasper" Calo
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

cavita wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:50 pm
JoelTurner wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:28 pm On Nov 10 1930, in Freeport, IL; Vincenzo Troia was indicted as a part of a large liquor ring.

—————————————————————

—————————————————————

Leo Rocconi was an alias used by Gaspare "Jasper" Calo
I can't view your link because it's a pay site and I can't find the November 10, 1930 article through Genealogybank.com