Chicago mob boss solly D talking on Feds wire

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Re: Chicago mob boss solly D talking on Feds wire

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Pete wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 5:16 pm So the chin ordering caponigro and Salerno tortured and killed is not a nut job but if he took part in it he would be a nut job?
I know it seems illogical but there is a difference.

One could be considered a necessary deterrent, as a warning in a criminal world controlled only be violence and scope.
The other is an unnecessary participation in a necessary act which indicates enjoyment and a pleasure of the act rather than done and delegated out of said necessity.
Last edited by SonnyBlackstein on Tue May 23, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
NickyEyes1
Straightened out

Post by NickyEyes1 »

These guys are all the same. One being from NYC and one being from Chicago makes no difference.
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

cavita wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 11:14 am
Fughedaboutit wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 4:52 am
Pete wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 12:39 pm
Fughedaboutit wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 6:14 am psychopath imo
So I assume your saying all mobsters are psychopaths? I don't think a capo personally strangling someone is any different than a soldier who shoots someone. Keep in mind many of these hits like the spilotros were done in residential areas where you couldn't just start shooting guns without the cops coming. Sure the outfit would make examples of some guys by brutally killing them but that was usually when it was personal like the guys who robbed accardos house
No, not all mobsters.

But guys in administration positions participating in murders because they seem to enjoy it, that is a nut job.
Perhaps they participated to see personally that the job got done and or to see how some of the guys acted under pressure?
Yeah I am sure that's it.

They couldn't have trusted hitmen do it or monitor that huh?

I mean, capos and bosses have participated and been at murders of low level bookmakers.

I could see your argument for something like say, the Spilotro brothers murder...but the other situations make your argument null and void.

I mean, for 5 families with over 1000 made members, these situations are few and far in between

in chicago with 50 or so made guys, whatever the number is...it was more of the norm.
"I wanna hear some noise." "Tell Salvie to clean the boat, the whole boat top to bottom" -Nicodemo "Nicky" Scarfo Sr"
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

A lot of these guys came up as killers. Ferriola, the LaPietras, Turk Torello, etc. That whole Buccieri crew was a bad group. I just assume that they felt they were better insulated by doing it themselves, particularly if information needed to be gathered. This is not to say that they didn't have trusted killers to do their dirty work; Frank Schweihs, Harry Aleman, Fred Poradyla, Frank Calabrese, etc. Believe me, there were plenty of killings in Chicago to go around.
BillyBrizzi
Straightened out

Post by BillyBrizzi »

Jimmy Fratianno explains in the video below at 2:33 perfectly how mob guys were when it came to murders.
He had the contract to kill Russian Louie, but 9 high ranking members of the L.A. family stayed around to watch the hit go down..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY3FX9cCAL4
FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Im not a fan or anything but that is why guys like Ross Prio stayed for so long at the top (1947/48-1972). During his youth he was also quite violent, i mean he was saying to his victims that if they dont pay up theyll receive an axe in their heads. But during his term as capo there are examples in which contracts were being cancelled if Prio was near the areas where the targets were being located. True criminal royalty
Last edited by Villain on Wed May 24, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

Villain wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 7:50 am Im not a fan or anything but that is why guys like Ross Prio stayed for so long at the top (1947/48-1972). During his youth he was also quite violent but during his term as capo there are examples in which contracts were being cancelled if Prio was near the areas where the targets were being located. True criminal royalty
That is how it should be done.

But guys like him seem to be the exception to the rule in Chicago.
"I wanna hear some noise." "Tell Salvie to clean the boat, the whole boat top to bottom" -Nicodemo "Nicky" Scarfo Sr"
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Fughedaboutit wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 8:09 am
Villain wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 7:50 am Im not a fan or anything but that is why guys like Ross Prio stayed for so long at the top (1947/48-1972). During his youth he was also quite violent but during his term as capo there are examples in which contracts were being cancelled if Prio was near the areas where the targets were being located. True criminal royalty
That is how it should be done.

But guys like him seem to be the exception to the rule in Chicago.
As I previously stated that back in the old days, meaning previous of the 1970's the Outfit used to have a more of a diplomatic faction which was formed by criminals who down the road got smarter or criminals who simply possessed more brains than muscle, such as Prio, Emery, LaPorte, Ferraro, Roti, Ricca etc. These guys were different mostly because their main goal was to represent themselves as successful legitimate businessmen. I mean if you read some of Riccas court transcripts or wiretapped convos, youll find out that the guy was always acting like a true gentleman. But on the other hand some people say that you cannot blame their proteges since they were the ones who did their most ugly work. Well ill dissagree mainly because guys like Prio, Ricca or LaPorte once also did the heavy stuff but "somehow" became smarter and more powerful. So we cannot compare Aiuppa or Carlisi with these fellas mainly because of reasons such as the first one was illiterate and the second argued during trials like woman during or before her period.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
BillyBrizzi
Straightened out

Post by BillyBrizzi »

Maybe we can also say that the 'brain drain' (George A's bottom-of-the-gene-pool hypothesis) within the American Mafia was starting to have its effect from about the 1970's.
FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

BillyBrizzi wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 7:06 am Jimmy Fratianno explains in the video below at 2:33 perfectly how mob guys were when it came to murders.
He had the contract to kill Russian Louie, but 9 high ranking members of the L.A. family stayed around to watch the hit go down..

Jimmy broke it down better than I could it looks like
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

Pete wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 3:46 pm
BillyBrizzi wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 7:06 am Jimmy Fratianno explains in the video below at 2:33 perfectly how mob guys were when it came to murders.

Not really.

A small family from LA...not one of the NY five, so they do things different.

Second, he only talked about it with a single hit, and they happened to already be there for a meeting and instead of leaving they stayed.

Chicago on the other hand, higher ups personally and purposefully go to executions they should be nowhere near.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Fughedaboutit wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 7:34 am

Not really.

Second, he only talked about it with a single hit, and they happened to already be there for a meeting and instead of leaving they stayed.

Chicago on the other hand, higher ups personally and purposefully go to executions they should be nowhere near.
Right so they could have other people do it and end up getting ratted on just like ny. Before 05 there was never a member of the outfit convicted of a gangland killing. That would suggest the way they did it was much more intelligent than what ny does. Believe what you want though we're just going around in circles here
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

Pete wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 11:55 am

Not really.

Right so they could have other people do it and end up getting ratted on just like ny. Before 05 there was never a member of the outfit convicted of a gangland killing. That would suggest the way they did it was much more intelligent than what ny does. Believe what you want though we're just going around in circles here
Or it could be the fact they have like 30 made guys vs 200 per family
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Fughedaboutit wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 12:58 pm
Pete wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 11:55 am

Not really.

Or it could be the fact they have like 30 made guys vs 200 per family
Or maybe you need to check your facts. The outfit only got down to 75 guys around the year 2000 and kept dwindling due to the fact difronzo didn't wanna make guys anymore. 20's through the 90's they had anywhere from 125 to close to 200 at their peak. Easily bigger than every family in the us besides the genovese and gambinos. The only families that ever had 200 were the genovese and gambinos. So you are saying all of the five families had 200 guys a piece? Sorry but you have no idea what your talking about
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

I think the number's for Chicago were inflated in the sixties but I think at their peak they were roughly on par with the three smaller NY families. Either way, they were more selective as far as who was made and had dozens of non-Italians in important positions so the manpower numbers are fairly misleading.