General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Villain
Filthy Few

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:53 am
Villain wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:28 am In addition, heres one small part of Eto's testimony which PolackTony previously referred to...

And these two which were given by the feds...i hope they r visible...

Thanks for posting. I’ve always found Eto’s whole story fascinating, of course. I’d really like to know the terms Eto himself would’ve used for the ranks (not that they necessarily still would’ve been the same that made guys would’ve used within “the clique”). Terms like “boss of bosses” and territorial boss smack to me of an LE perspective. Another thing to add is that the Feds had Eto as referring to Civella as the “territorial boss” of KC. Assuming that this wasn’t Eto’s own term, the Feds were either using this term imprecisely, or they really saw the large Chicago “street crews” as something like their own families.

With Joey DiVarco, even in one of the Fed accounts they note that him being a capo answering to another capo was highly unusual. One thing to keep in mind is that DiVarco had been the natural next in line to take over after DiBella died. So I wonder if DiVarco had been bumped up to capo under Prio already, or if he only was when Solano got the spot, as a way of formally recognizing DiVarco’s status and seniority (like a consolation prize, basically).
I agree regarding the terms and in fact, you can even find info from the 2000s in which the goverment and media uses terms like "south side crime family", although you can find similar terms from the late 50s and early 60s like the "Mafia on the South Side" etc.

I believe that DiVarco possibly received his status sometime around the early and mid 60s, especially when Allegretti went to jail and Dom Nuccio began spending more of his time in Florida.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Coloboy wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:21 am I also find it interesting that in Eto’s testimony he does not list Carlisi or Difronzo as Territorial bosses with the others.

Do we think this is because from a technical perspective those areas were still looked over by Cerone and Aiuppa respectively?
Well they are also missing from that 1976 photo which means that you might be right. Also, i believe that Carlisi inherited Ortenzis position who in turn was possible capo for Aiuppas crew but died during the early 80s.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:57 am
Villain wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:21 am
Snakes wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:17 am I think that guys who went to prison (Pilotto, LaPietra, Lombardo) still held their capo status. Upon their release, other guys acted as capos of those crews because of parole restrictions that limited interactivity with street guys or felons.

However, in Pilotto's case there was nothing to come back to when he got out.

I think that other crews having interests in the Heights is merely them obtaining an interest or partnership in rackets or businesses in those locations as opposed to any supervisory or jurisdictional position. I know there are newspaper clippings out there that hint at that but based on the files that I have, it would seem to indicate that the Heights still operated as independent crew. This doesn't rule out someone like Ferriola being a funnel for money from that crew to the bosses, though. We also don't know the true circumstances of why Tocco would be fearful of Ferriola. Perhaps Ferriola was tasked with supervising the disposal of the bodies and handed them off to Tocco for final burial? If so, he had every right to have been displeased with the way the burial was handled and could have petitioned Carlisi to have Tocco killed for screwing it up, hence the fear on Tocco's part.
We cant believe that the Ferriola crew entered the Chi Heights area but we can believe that Tocco was made in 83 and instantly bumped to a capo position who also had jurisdiction over Indiana?

I dont know what your files say but what about the extortions and wreckings that occurred during the early 80s around the Heights area and C City? The same situation occurred back during the late 60s when Buccieri tried to enter LaPortes territory. It wasnt like they were obtaining an interest or partnership in rackets, but instead it looked like an invasion.
This is another hard question as the same set of evidence could fit more than one explanation. Snakes makes a good point, that Tocco fucking up the Spilotro burials would be enough for him to fear for his life. My understanding is that following Lombardo’s imprisonment Ferriola was installed as street boss. Thus he was the “chief enforcer” and Tocco would have good reason to fear the reaper, even if Ferriola wasn’t trying to muscle in down in the Region.
I agree and i also understand Snakes opinion or statement since it makes sense the most, but still it doesnt change my view on the situation. If Tocco feared for his life, means that he couldve mention Carlisi and DiFronzo, not Ferriola (even if Ferriola was allegedly in charge of the two executions). By mentioning Ferriola means two things....Ferriola was either above Tocco in the Outfits hierarchy, or there was some type of rivalry between the two and Tocco was possibly afraid from Ferriola in using Toccos mistake against him?

The order for the Spilotro contract allegedly came from the top, meaning Lombardo and the rest of the capos were only able to join in the decision and thats why most of them were personally involved in it so they can show loyalty. So if anyone wanted to see Tocco dead, first he should receive ok from the bosses, something that clearly didnt happen.
Last edited by Villain on Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

If DiVarco was under Solano it doesn't make sense to me that he could have been a capo. However, it is possible that for a brief period the could have been "co-capos" with separate responsibilities, like Solano in charge of union activities and DiVarco in charge of gambling. I'm not saying that I believe this, only that it's possible. In a phone call with Joe Fosco and Mike Mags, they told me that when John DiFronzo was made underboss that Willie Messino was also made underboss. They were co-underbosses. It only lasted until they went to a meeting with another Family and Willie lost his temper. He was told to retire and he did. As far as I know and they know, there have never been co-underbosses before or since.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:40 am If DiVarco was under Solano it doesn't make sense to me that he could have been a capo. However, it is possible that for a brief period the could have been "co-capos" with separate responsibilities, like Solano in charge of union activities and DiVarco in charge of gambling. I'm not saying that I believe this, only that it's possible. In a phone call with Joe Fosco and Mike Mags, they told me that when John DiFronzo was made underboss that Willie Messino was also made underboss. They were co-underbosses. It only lasted until they went to a meeting with another Family and Willie lost his temper. He was told to retire and he did. As far as I know and they know, there have never been co-underbosses before or since.
There used to be some duos in the past...like Ferraro and Alex, besides Alex being an alleged top rep for Ferraro in the South Side mob...when Battaglia became underboss in 64, Alderisio was allegedly the top west side rep but was also Battaglias assistant and even entered the Loop area....some sources say that after Riccas death, Accardo was the boss while Aiuppa and Alex were his underbosses....or maybe it was Cerone instead of Alex, i dont really remember....possibly even Campagna and Nitto...

As for DiVarco, he was always under Prio and later under Solano.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

I have also seen files and evidence that Ferriola gobbled up some rackets on the South Side before Tocco could sink his hooks in. This could have been during the turmoil around the Pilotto indictment/assassination attempt.

Again, the other thing we don't know is Ferriola could have had some supervisory role in the burials and may have had the carte blanche to kill Tocco if he fucked up. Or, if Tocco wasn't a capo at the time, Ferriola could have just asked Carlisi for permission to kill him, particularly if there was any chance of the murders making their way back to them. Remember, we don't know the exact details of what happened after Nick Calabrese left the house and when Tocco and company buried the bodies. It is mostly accepted that Fecarotta assisted in the transport but we don't know who else was in involved in the operation. Maybe Ferriola was in charge of the whole thing (murder, burial, everything).

Who knew that Ferriola's position in the decade of 1979-1989 would eventually turn out to be such a mystery as far as his power and position within the organization?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Snakes wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:11 pm I have also seen files and evidence that Ferriola gobbled up some rackets on the South Side before Tocco could sink his hooks in. This could have been during the turmoil around the Pilotto indictment/assassination attempt.

Again, the other thing we don't know is Ferriola could have had some supervisory role in the burials and may have had the carte blanche to kill Tocco if he fucked up. Or, if Tocco wasn't a capo at the time, Ferriola could have just asked Carlisi for permission to kill him, particularly if there was any chance of the murders making their way back to them. Remember, we don't know the exact details of what happened after Nick Calabrese left the house and when Tocco and company buried the bodies. It is mostly accepted that Fecarotta assisted in the transport but we don't know who else was in involved in the operation. Maybe Ferriola was in charge of the whole thing (murder, burial, everything).

Who knew that Ferriola's position in the decade of 1979-1989 would eventually turn out to be such a mystery as far as his power and position within the organization?
Lets say Tocco was a capo...besides Palermo, how many made guys Tocco had under his rule?
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Villain wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:31 pm
Snakes wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:11 pm I have also seen files and evidence that Ferriola gobbled up some rackets on the South Side before Tocco could sink his hooks in. This could have been during the turmoil around the Pilotto indictment/assassination attempt.

Lets say Tocco was a capo...besides Palermo, how many made guys Tocco had under his rule?
See, that's the thing. I see more and more evidence that Palermo was the overall boss and Tocco was not. Or, that they were on equal plains with Tocco heading the Heights and Palermo heading NW Indiana. I have even seen informant statements opining that Tocco was nobody and that Palermo was the real power. However, Scarpelli (a confirmed made guy) stated that Tocco bossed the Heights and NW Indiana but he also said that he didn't know much about that crew.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

I need to post the excerpt but Ferriola was described as "moving in" on Heights territory. It didn't really state that Tocco reported to Ferriola but it was implied that Ferriola had enough pull to muscle into the Heights without Tocco being able to do anything about it. This was post-Spilotro so maybe it was Ferriola throwing his weight around because Tocco was on bad paper for the burials? I'm not really sure.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Wasn't Tocco's brother - Papa Joe Tocco - who had a crew in AZ - later found out to have provided evidence on some case or another as in informed?

Would love to know more about how the Tocco brothers came into the Chicago Heights crew and who their sponsors were. By far the most mysterious Outfit crew from my view.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

SolarSolano wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:58 pm Wasn't Tocco's brother - Papa Joe Tocco - who had a crew in AZ - later found out to have provided evidence on some case or another as in informed?

Would love to know more about how the Tocco brothers came into the Chicago Heights crew and who their sponsors were. By far the most mysterious Outfit crew from my view.
Tocco did six years (1967-1973) for his role in an auto theft ring and had been arrested several times previously for various theft and gambling charges although these were dismissed for lack of evidence. He was also alleged to have "run girls" (prostitutes) while he was coming up and had three rape/sodomy arrests in the late 40s and early 50s. It appears that Al Pilotto was who brought him into Outfit circles and that he had a reputation as a hitman and an enforcer in the early 70s and was always armed. Sources also revealed that his acquaintances were almost exclusively "gamblers, hoodlums, or prostitutes."
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Snakes wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:37 pm
SolarSolano wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:58 pm Wasn't Tocco's brother - Papa Joe Tocco - who had a crew in AZ - later found out to have provided evidence on some case or another as in informed?

Tocco did six years (1967-1973) for his role in an auto theft ring and had been arrested several times previously for various theft and gambling charges although these were dismissed for lack of evidence. He was also alleged to have "run girls" (prostitutes) while he was coming up and had three rape/sodomy arrests in the late 40s and early 50s. It appears that Al Pilotto was who brought him into Outfit circles and that he had a reputation as a hitman and an enforcer in the early 70s and was always armed. Sources also revealed that his acquaintances were almost exclusively "gamblers, hoodlums, or prostitutes."
That's really interesting Snakes. Was Tocco from the Hungry Hill Sicilian section down there?
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

The news stations called Tocco the Southside mob boss. So much so that I thought it was a whole different Family.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

SolarSolano wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:20 pm
Snakes wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:37 pm

That's really interesting Snakes. Was Tocco from the Hungry Hill Sicilian section down there?
Correct, Tocco grew up by 23rd St and East End in the famed “Hill” section of Chi Heights.

From my info, I don’t believe that he had any Sicilian ancestry, however. He was born 08/1929 to Michaelangelo Tocco, born in Chicago, and Laura Storto, born in PA (I’m not sure but I think Pittsburgh). His paternal grandfather was Giuseppe Iocco (which appears to have been the original spelling of the surname. I guess they got screwed by the Medigan’) of Campobasso Molise. His paternal grandmother was Delisio, which is strongly concentrated in Campania and Molise. His mother’s name Storto is also heavily concentrated in Molise. So Tocco may have been 100% Molisano.

BTW I posted his HS yearbook photo to the Mugshots thread.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Snakes wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:08 pm
Villain wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:31 pm

See, that's the thing. I see more and more evidence that Palermo was the overall boss and Tocco was not. Or, that they were on equal plains with Tocco heading the Heights and Palermo heading NW Indiana. I have even seen informant statements opining that Tocco was nobody and that Palermo was the real power. However, Scarpelli (a confirmed made guy) stated that Tocco bossed the Heights and NW Indiana but he also said that he didn't know much about that crew.
Since most of the guys were connected to Palermo, do you think that after the Pilotto shooting, Palermo was possibly under some type of pressure and wasnt trusted 100%? I mean the Guzzinos and DAndreas were with Palermo and maybe he didnt know about the plot, but still....maybe like the case with Jimmy DeGeorge?