General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

maxiestern11
Full Patched

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by maxiestern11 »

Here’s a bit of background on T Vitta

ANTHONY (TONY PEPSI) VITTA - born 1938. Believed born in Brooklyn. (251 Jefferson Street).
Resided for later years in Queens before relocating out to Nassau County (East Rockaway area).

By 1976, LE was carrying Vitta as an (inducted) soldier in the Gambino Family. He served in the regime, and was the confident of, Joseph N. Gallo. - longtime consigliere.

Activities: extortion, shylocking, strong-arm (suspected enforcer), labor racketeering.

A low-key member, he served as a very close associate to Gallo, handling day to day functions and was Gallo’s “problem solver”.

Primarily a loan shark, not much is known about Vitta, but shortly after becoming a member, he bought and operated the Ravenswood Inn, a Beechhurst Queens restaurant and bar for several years.

In 1987, he was among four (Gallo and Armone included) convicted in federal court for racketeeering (Rico). He was specifically accused in the strong-arm extortion of a photography color laboratory (Stewart Color Lab) for $1,000. a week in shakedown money. This extortion went on for over eight years.

Another extortion he was accused of, was the $500. a week shakedown of E. M. Mechanical, a small Bronx construction firm. This extortion scheme went on for more than three years before he was arrested.
-
Originally 16 Gambino members were indicted in one big case - “Gambino Family Case”, but ultimately seven separate trials were held.

Note: [Vitta received a 10 year federal prison term]

“Tony Pepsi”..... kept low key after getting paroled. He died in 2018..... at 80 years old.
—————————————————-——————————————————
SlapDatCorn2
Prospect

Post by SlapDatCorn2 »

Is there any information on like smaller, or big organised criminal groups going head to head with any crime family? If so, could anyone link me to topics or share some information with me? I know how big the mob was back in the day, but there has to be some criminal factions who defied the mob, and wanted to go against them.
SlapDatCorn2
Prospect

Post by SlapDatCorn2 »

SlapDatCorn2 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:50 am Is there any information on like smaller, or big organised criminal groups going head to head with any crime family? If so, could anyone link me to topics or share some information with me? I know how big the mob was back in the day, but there has to be some criminal factions who defied the mob, and wanted to go against them.
And to add on, did they actually succeed with that, i.e killing high ranked members.
slimshady_007
Full Patched

Post by slimshady_007 »

SlapDatCorn2 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:50 am Is there any information on like smaller, or big organised criminal groups going head to head with any crime family? If so, could anyone link me to topics or share some information with me? I know how big the mob was back in the day, but there has to be some criminal factions who defied the mob, and wanted to go against them.
Alex Rudaj led a crew of Albanians who wanted to defy the mob and take over their gambling rackets. In the end the whole Rudaj gang was busted by the feds in 2004, just saving them from the Lucchese Family, who were planning to kill some of them.
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

There always have been, mostly small groups who thought they were going to scare off the mob, or just were suicidal. One group was led by a rouge cop, but they did everything, stick ups, burglaries and everything else. It was in the 1940's or 1950's. They started robbing mob card games and 2 were killed, Langone and Russo. The rest of the gang were arrested on other charges and that group broke up.
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

bert wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:25 am
There always have been, mostly small groups who thought they were going to scare off the mob, or just were suicidal. One group was led by a rouge cop, but they did everything, stick ups, burglaries and everything else. It was in the 1940's or 1950's. They started robbing mob card games and 2 were killed, Langone and Russo. The rest of the gang were arrested on other charges and that group broke up.
Here is a thread on Gigante killings which mentions them
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3908&p=90048&hilit=langone#p90048
Rat
Straightened out

Post by Rat »

How did video poker machines work? Why would shop owners put something out in the middle of their store that is illegal?
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

Rat wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:39 pm How did video poker machines work? Why would shop owners put something out in the middle of their store that is illegal?
Extortion.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Rat wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:39 pm How did video poker machines work? Why would shop owners put something out in the middle of their store that is illegal?
To make more money. They were everywhere in the 1980's, in the back of candy store news stand types places, in the back of Bodegas and traditional delis, everywhere. They were easy to buy, and sold legally and openly. The reason they were sold openly is because they were sold as "For entertainment purposes only" meaning no money was to be paid. The machines did not pay out any money. If you won, you went to the store owner or bartender, who would come look, and pay what the machine said you won.
In a few industrial areas where they had body shops and wholesale only warehouses, you could see machines stacked outside for sale, totally legal. They were sold by the same distributers who sold cigarette and candy machines, and video games for kids to play. Anyone could buy one or more poker or other type machine, no license needed. You could buy one and put it in your home if you wanted.
Rat
Straightened out

Post by Rat »

bert wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:29 pm
To make more money. They were everywhere in the 1980's, in the back of candy store news stand types places, in the back of Bodegas and traditional delis, everywhere. They were easy to buy, and sold legally and openly. The reason they were sold openly is because they were sold as "For entertainment purposes only" meaning no money was to be paid. The machines did not pay out any money. If you won, you went to the store owner or bartender, who would come look, and pay what the machine said you won.
In a few industrial areas where they had body shops and wholesale only warehouses, you could see machines stacked outside for sale, totally legal. They were sold by the same distributers who sold cigarette and candy machines, and video games for kids to play. Anyone could buy one or more poker or other type machine, no license needed. You could buy one and put it in your home if you wanted.

Do cops not often look into these machines? That was more my question, like is the risk generally low for the shop owners? That was more my question.
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

Rat wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:45 pm
bert wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:29 pm

Do cops not often look into these machines? That was more my question, like is the risk generally low for the shop owners? That was more my question.
No, unless they wanted money from the owner to look the other way. I'm talking about the 1980's through the 1990's. That is when they were big. Once online stuff came around it died out some. I never saw a place closed for having them, although there were cases where that happened. Those usually involved a place having having mob ties as the reason, or if a place had fights, noise, and other issues that forced the cops to do something. Most cops when off duty played the games themselves in the bars they hung out in.
MichaelGiovanni
Straightened out

Post by MichaelGiovanni »

Anyone know who sponsored Christy Tick or who he came up under in the Brooklyn crew?
Nice rug ya got here kid...it’d be great for a craps game
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

MichaelGiovanni wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:47 pm Anyone know who sponsored Christy Tick or who he came up under in the Brooklyn crew?
Not a lot is known about Furnari's early years. He was a life-long friend and protege of Corallo, so there's a good possibility he sponsored him during the late 50's, after Furnari's release from prison. If that's the case, he was under Sal Curiale initially and Paul Vario after 1960. By the late 60s Christie Tick was a captain and most likely his crew split off from the Vario regime.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

In Italy, is the Ndrangheta and Camorra basically equivalent to our bloods and crops??

It seems there are 100s of clans which make them more of a street type gang in my opnion
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:14 pm In Italy, is the Ndrangheta and Camorra basically equivalent to our bloods and crops??

It seems there are 100s of clans which make them more of a street type gang in my opnion
Not an expert but I’ve read that those two clans both have interests that go far beyond “street gang” stuff. Read Gomorrah by Roberto Saviano for an intriguing account of the Camorra’s activities.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com