Family Councils / Consigli / Seggia / Elders / Inner Circle

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: Family Councils / Consigli / Seggia / Elders / Inner Circle

Post by PolackTony »

Chris Christie wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:31 pm
PolackTony wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:54 pm
Chris Christie wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:37 pm
We were posting at the same time, so I just saw this now. Very well-stated and I fully agree.
Thank you, sir. I take my hat off. Every time we speak I learn something new.

This board is truly honored to have you here. You bring so much to the knowledge-base. Salut.
I could say the exact same about you, brother. Always learn a lot when we talk and look forward to the next convo.
B. wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:50 pm I'm not comfortable saying Ricca or Accardo were definitely senior council members and/or in a sort of segretario position over the council, but I do believe their positions were consistent with that kind of structure.
Agreed. As we have no info to support that they had any formal or semi-formal position, their formal status may have amounted to semi-retired "former boss" (again, as Nick C named JB). While several CIs referred to them as "Chairmen", that may just be an informal/descriptive term for their role, as the senior members that represented the interests and will/authority of the family as a whole (in the way that an actual "chairman of the board" is the representative of the shareholders of a company and is generally responsible for setting the direction of the company's activities and evaluating the performance of executive officers, etc.). "Chairmen", along with "segretari" or "capi consiglieri," I think are accurate descriptors of their role and power vis-a-vis the family, the "board", and the official boss, though there doesn't seem to be anything beyond the FBI referring to them as "consiglieri" that points to them having any formal position aside from former boss. CI accounts are consistent that they were semi-retired, removed from the formal chain of command, but were the ultimate word, and were responsible for advising the boss, directing family policy, and dealing with disputes. Even during the period of leadership crisis following Giancana's exile, CIs still say that they were semi-retired, and just acting as the executive until one could be appointed.
Chris Christie wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:42 pm Had Zerilli's plan actually came to fruition, he would have become Consig and Mike Polizzi would have become boss and today there'd be arguments today over whether or not Polizzi was a puppet boss. If people cared more about Pittsburgh they'd argue that Amato was the real power behind La Rocca. I think people get hung up on "the real power" when the admin all serve as different components of the larger power. These Consigli, when they were still in existence were an extended addition to that.
Yes, and it takes nothing away from someone like Ricca, Accardo, or Zerilli to note that decisions and policy in these families were not reached by dictatorial decree, but via deliberation and consensus among the most senior members along with the official boss. Ricca and Accardo weren't despots, and they weren't controlling Giancana and Aiuppa like the man behind the curtain in the City of Oz. From what we can tell, they interfered little in the official boss's exercise of his duties and prerogatives, though they actively advised them in strategy and approach to problems. The board of directors of a company evaluates the performance of the executive officer, is responsible for appointing said officer, and if the executive is derelict in their duty or actively damaging the interests of the company and its shareholders, they can remove the executive and replace them. While I don't think that Chicago was explicitly modeled on a corporate boardroom (I suspect that, if there was a deeper continuity to the "board" in Chicago, its remote origins -- as with the consigli in the mafia more generally -- may lie in the communal model of government in 19th century Western Sicily and the relationships between the sindaco and communal council), it is a similar model for understanding the interplay between an official executive officer and the body of interests that this officer represents and acts in the interest of. No one would think of the CEO as being the "puppet" of the board, just that the CEO is appointed to act in the interests and goals of the company, as defined and evaluated by the board.
B. wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:55 pm A question with Chicago is continuity. Were there senior members/leaders who formed a committee/board/council before Giancana? Not necessarily people with Accardo and Ricca's stature but some sort of body involved in policy/admin (Ricca would have already been part of it under Accardo if that's the case and would have been as dominant as he was later, but you get my question).
Of course, as of now we don't have the evidence to really address that either way and likely never will. But, to be fair, we don't ask that about Milwaukee or Detroit or San Jose. If we don't assume that the consigli in those families were de novo latter-day innovations, then I don't think there's any reason to assume that Chicago would've been manifestly different.
B. wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:55 pm Based on Pierce's info there was a group of leaders involved in the selection of Giancana as boss which could indicate something like that was in place. He included Humphreys in it, whose opinion was important, but hard to gauge all the ins-and-outs from a meeting where a non-member was told about the change. Sort of like DeRose saying important non-Italians couldn't attend the induction ceremony but celebrated with the members afterward, the selection of a new boss likely included non-members in the process maybe with some invisible guardrails in place when it came to informing made members vs. someone like Pierce who was significant but still not a made member.
Hard to say with the Humphreys thing what Pierce meant by that. There were CIs who stated that Alex was on the "board' while other CIs carefully and explicitly stated that he wasn't and could not be because he wasn't Italian and couldn't be a member in the first place. Now, Humphreys and Alex certainly attended meetings of the "board". I'd suspect that there were meetings that dealt with internal mafia matters that they did not attend, or when talk turned to that and away from "business", they had to excuse themselves, as when Aiuppa asked Maishe Rockman to leave his meeting with Cleveland. If they weren't letting these guys attend the ceremony when new members were being inducted (which should surprise no one, after all), I doubt that they were allowing Humphreys or Alex to formally vote or select the rappresentante (though they were apprised of the decisions and their opinions also sought out, from the perspective of how family policy might impact important areas like political/judicial corruption and labor/business racketeering operations that these guys were in charge of directing).
B. wrote: He also said Buccieri and Ricca were the only non-Sicilians on the committee -- he was wrong about Cerone but right about everyone else. It's very interesting DeRose, a Jewish transplant from New York, knew the heritage of certain leaders and noted this in context with the committee. DeRose was not in a position to have researched that and it's unlikely he discovered it himself. Whoever relayed it to him must have considered it a noteworthy conversational detail if nothing else that deserved to be mentioned or it was more widely discussed than we know. Tells us there were people who still thought about heritage as idle organizational gossip if nothing else.
[...]
Side note but DeRose's info comes across like he got his info on the org from a Sicilian. The language he uses, his knowledge of the 100% Sicilian Benevento faction (though he got the years wrong), references to Capone as a "Camorra" man in the 1920s, and feeling it necessary to tell the FBI most of the committee was Sicilian point to him getting a more Sicilian-centric perspective from someone. EDIT: Alternately, DeRose didn't get his info from a Sicilian which is equally if not more interesting.

The DeRose comment on the ancestry of the "board' members is very interesting. If a Jewish dude was aware of these things and thought it was worth relating to the FBI, one can imagine that a lot of the Italian guys thought it was important. Clearly, the distinction between Sicilian/non-Sicilians was still important enough to warrant commentary. Several of the Chicago CIs report that membership in the past was restricted to Sicilians; obviously, people knew that the mafia was originally a Sicilian thing before the other Italians were allowed to join. This was still going to be a salient category for people, and there were plenty of Italian-born guys still around. Regardless of who DeRose was close to, I'm sure that in this era both Sicilians and mainlanders were well aware that the mafia was originally a Sicilian thing, and were probably at least aware of which members were Sicilians. IIRC correctly Frank Cullotta said that originally it was just a Sicilian thing, before Capone, and I doubt he necessarily got that from a book or movie -- his paternal grandparents were from Cefalu and he grew up on Grand Ave where people very much knew if you were Sicilian or Bares'. As a kid, I recall that Sicilians were still looked upon as different than the other Italians. Subtle, but people would react if you said that someone was Sicilian, and my impression was that there was an implicit assumption that Sicilians were still seen as having an essentialized link to the mafia.
B. wrote: When Bomp visited a drunken LaPorte later on, he said Accardo, Ricca, and a group of captains were running the organization with Giancana gone. LaPorte may or may not have been part of this group, as he told Bomp he only met with Accardo and Ricca once or twice a month (which could have been how often the committee met or could indicate LaPorte was less involved) and Bomp's perception was that LaPorte was largely inactive. Interesting DeRose didn't name LaPorte as being on the committee earlier.
One thing LaPorte's favor for being a possible "board" member was that he went way back and was Dom Ruberto's cousin -- he was a core member of the Heights crew for almost 40 years at that time. We know, however, that he seemed to have become negligent in his duties as capo in the 60s, his members were disgruntled, he seems to have wanted out of "the life" and was spending as much time as he could in California. So he had the seniority, but may not have been stable enough at that time to continue to serve in that capacity. Hard to say. Battaglia, Prio, and Buccieri I think are shoe-ins (and one CI in the 70s stated that DiBella was on the "board", suggesting that the Northside crew's input was considered important beyond Prio as an individual member).
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Chicago's ruling group walked like a duck and talked like a duck, that's for sure. Enough sources refer to a committee or board that I'm confident it wasn't just one person's perception of the admin alone or a way of generalizing the various leaders. A big detail for me is DeRose saying disputes involving a member were escalated to the "committee". One of the main functions of the consiglio in most examples was to preside over and vote in underworld trials for high-level issues involving made members, especially involving life and death. This was true for the joint consiglio Valachi described in NYC, a big purpose being to give members a fair trial and not leave them at the mercy of his boss/captain alone. The 1970s member informant said Ricca and Accardo were mainly concerned with mediating and preventing violence at that point.

No source has said it outright, but I believe a key function of the consiglio in Families was to prevent factional warfare among aspiring leaders. It democratized major policy and admin decisions, made life or death decisions a matter of concensus, and allowed different factions to have a voice. Significant leaders or the boss could manipulate or influence this, but when a decision was made it could be defended by the fact that they put it to a vote, similar to what happened with elections. It also provided counterpoint to the boss like the official consigliere (whose duties seem to be very close to the consiglio, not a big surprise given the name).

What's telling about Chicago is how few bosses were murdered after 1931, or anyone in the admin for that matter. Wasn't Giancana the only one? And he was no longer running the group. For an organization made up almost entirely of killers with an army of associates who were equally ruthless, it's incredible how well they managed to avoid high-level violence despite having the DNA of a volatile organization with plenty of reason for competition, early warfare, and crews that operated semi-autonomously. Not to mention the tendency for other Families to fan the flames for their own gain. However they saw their board/committee, I'd guess it played a major role in how well they navigated these issues and Accardo/Ricca set the tone.

With LaPorte, he may have been in a unique position in that his area of the Heights/Indiana gave him autonomy and authority with less crossover with other groups. This could have given him a seat on the board or he didn't need to be on it for the same reasons.

Question with DeRose is whether he was told the committee was made up mostly of Sicilians or if he knew certain leaders were Sicilian on an individual basis, i.e. he learned Accardo, Battaglia, etc. were Sicilian and just happened to share that when telling the FBI about the committee vs. a member specifically told him "most of the committee is Sicilian".

Makes you wonder too what DeRose would have said if asked where his family came from. Like we've talked about he could have been an Italian Jew who did have a real Italian hometown and simply hid the Jewish part. If he was in conversations about which leaders were Sicilian, I'd expect the people he knew to have casually asked him what part of Italy he was from himself. Even if his knowledge was imperfect, there is a ring of truth to a lot of his info that makes me curious if he was being schooled for membership early on and what sort of problems that would have presented if he hadn't run into his own issues.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Boston FBI office's Patriarca chart 1962:

Five elders listed between boss and underboss.
nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by nash143 »

A 'committee of seven' mentioned to evaluate Joe Biondo's attitude.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:01 am Boston FBI office's Patriarca chart 1962:

Is this comprehensive or are there missing members? I'll eventually get to this group but I should likely finish what I have started.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

No clue -- Nash and Pogo would be the people to ask. The Springfield / Worcester names are wrong for sure as most if not all are Genovese guys.

I think the info about the elders originally came from Vinny Teresa. His info isn't always reliable but there is good mixed in with the bad.
Southshore88
Straightened out

Post by Southshore88 »

nash143 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:24 am A 'committee of seven' mentioned to evaluate Joe Biondo's attitude.
Great find - has there been any documentation for who the 7 elders may have been?

Interesting that they noted Biondo was living with a prostitute - did that play any role in the issue between Gambino and Biondo? It’s been documented before how Gambino wasn’t known for his philandering and had a family man image so would be curious if that was explicitly stated as part of the schism.
nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by nash143 »

Southshore88 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:26 am
nash143 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:24 am A 'committee of seven' mentioned to evaluate Joe Biondo's attitude.
Great find - has there been any documentation for who the 7 elders may have been?

Interesting that they noted Biondo was living with a prostitute - did that play any role in the issue between Gambino and Biondo? It’s been documented before how Gambino wasn’t known for his philandering and had a family man image so would be curious if that was explicitly stated as part of the schism.
Unfortunately, I don’t know any more than what is on that extract.
nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by nash143 »

Chris Christie wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:11 am
B. wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:01 am Boston FBI office's Patriarca chart 1962:

Is this comprehensive or are there missing members? I'll eventually get to this group but I should likely finish what I have started.
There is a list I put together here - viewtopic.php?f=32&t=7227 . Not 100% complete, would need a little review.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

nash143 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:12 am
There is a list I put together here - viewtopic.php?f=32&t=7227 . Not 100% complete, would need a little review.
Good work, brother!
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I don't know if anyone has info on Willie Fapiano, but he was allegedly a Boston associate who later worked with Meyer Lansky. He said that when Buccola was the boss Lombardo was the underboss and Cucchiara was the consigliere. I have Cucchiara's heavily redacted FBI file on paper. It leaves much to be desired. Here's a link to the book: https://archive.org/details/godsontruel ... cchiara%22
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Great find. The committee of seven fits with the multi-Family consiglio described by Joe Valachi, which had seven seats and arbitrated disputes between members and their bosses.

But then there's the Patriarca tape where he seems to indicate Carlo Gambino should be contacted through some sort of council, seemingly in Gambino's own Family.
nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by nash143 »

From a 1962 file. Unsure if this has been brought up before?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thanks Nash -- I think that's from Valachi, as he referred to Rao and Joe Biondo sitting on the NYC-NJ consiglio.