General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Villain
Filthy Few

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Villain »

In addition to Alderisios interests on the South Side, it was maybe possible because of Aiuppas interests in that same area and during the late 60s, besides being a capo himself, still Joey A had a lower rank than Alderisio who in turn was a top rep for the whole west side block at the time which also included Aiuppa. The connection between Aiuppa and Alderisio can be easily explained through Nicoletti and years later, Aiuppas associate Al Tornabene still had interests on the south
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Villain wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:56 pm In addition to Alderisios interests on the South Side, it was maybe possible because of Aiuppas interests in that same area and during the late 60s, besides being a capo himself, still Joey A had a lower rank than Alderisio who in turn was a top rep for the whole west side block at the time which also included Aiuppa. The connection between Aiuppa and Alderisio can be easily explained through Nicoletti and years later, Aiuppas associate Al Tornabene still had interests on the south
I suspect the "Joe" LNU who met St. Louis boss Tony Giardano and and LA CI Frank Bompensiero in Cicero and arranged their meeting with Alderisio in 1968 was Aiuppa. Bompensiero only said "Joe" was a made member of the Chicago family and gave some general info about his appearance and house.

The relationship seems to fit and if it was Aiuppa it seems he was used as a liaison to St. Louis.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:26 pm
Villain wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:56 pm In addition to Alderisios interests on the South Side, it was maybe possible because of Aiuppas interests in that same area and during the late 60s, besides being a capo himself, still Joey A had a lower rank than Alderisio who in turn was a top rep for the whole west side block at the time which also included Aiuppa. The connection between Aiuppa and Alderisio can be easily explained through Nicoletti and years later, Aiuppas associate Al Tornabene still had interests on the south
I suspect the "Joe" LNU who met St. Louis boss Tony Giardano and and LA CI Frank Bompensiero in Cicero and arranged their meeting with Alderisio in 1968 was Aiuppa. Bompensiero only said "Joe" was a made member of the Chicago family and gave some general info about his appearance and house.

The relationship seems to fit and if it was Aiuppa it seems he was used as a liaison to St. Louis.
That's interesting. I believe that Aiuppa was a protege on his younger days under Capone Syndicate gangster Screwy Maddox, o who of course was from St Louis and part of the Egan's Rats gang. It could be that Aiuppa thus had longstanding ties to STL.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:54 pm
B. wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:26 pm

That's interesting. I believe that Aiuppa was a protege on his younger days under Capone Syndicate gangster Screwy Maddox, o who of course was from St Louis and part of the Egan's Rats gang. It could be that Aiuppa thus had longstanding ties to STL.
That adds to the idea that it may have been Aiuppa.

Interestingly St. Louis boss Giardano used the non-Italian Arthur Berne in East St. Louis to arrange the meeting with "Joe", made member of the Chicago family.

St. Louis was sort of like Cleveland and Chicago in that they held certain non-Italians in high regard. Morris Shenker was the obvious one, as he had stature through his relationship to Giardano. Another was Jimmy Michaels, a Syrian gangster who was a business partner with Giardano and was held in high regard with the St. Louis family even though he had previously killed two made members of the St. Louis family without permission. That alone speaks volumes, especially with St. Louis being a primarily Sicilian family.

St. Louis leaders Giardano and John Vitale also served as pallbearers at East St. Louis gang leader Buster Wortman's funeral. Wortman was of course close to Chicago and I suspect he may have served as an earlier point of contact between Chicago and St. Louis given they continued to use East St. Louis as the go-between.

Not too surprising that Arthur Berne would help facilitate a meeting between made members of the LA, St. Louis, and Chicago families given the latter two's approach to non-Italians. Bompensiero (the informant) notes that they did not discuss formal mafia matters in front of Berne nor Alderisio's girlfriend, so despite using a non-Italian liaison they still followed mafia protocol when it came to discussing the organization and their membership.

EDIT: The Chicago Crime Commission said Joe Aiuppa was a close friend of Buster Wortman and attended his funeral in East St. Louis. It seems almost certain he was the "Joe" who met the other mafia members in Cicero and took them to Alderisio.

It also makes sense given Aiuppa's ties to Kansas City and Civella. Seems Aiuppa was the liaison between both the St. Louis and KC families in Missouri.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Re: Chicago Mob? Anyone with info

Post by Patrickgold »

Villain wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:27 am
Patrickgold wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:13 am
Villain wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:37 am
Patrickgold wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:16 am That was quick. He plead guilty in less than a month.
Thats the best tactic to prevent further investigation and to receive a lesser sentence...most of the criminals from my neck of the woods are doing the same thing this last decade...i dont know much about the current US judicial system but thats how things go around here
Your right. He was probably pressured from higher up. Lake County is Solly D’s territory
Which ethicity currently "rules" Lake County?
It depends where in Lake County. Highland Park and most of the cities around it are Jewish. An exception of that would be Highwood which has traditionally been an Italian enclave and is where this guys bookmaking operations was. It still has italians but it has also become more Latino. Lake Forest has been more of the wasp type groups with old money. Waukegan, Zion and North Chicago have a lot of blacks. Also, the naval base is in Waukegan and the Outfit has always targeted them for money in the past. There use to be a lot of strip clubs in the area but there is no more.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Jimmy Inendino was overseeing loansharking in Waukegan and a lot of the north suburbs when he was arrested in the mid 70s with his brother Sam, Frank Butera, Greg Paloian and Nick Keller. I think that's always been the Cicero Crew's territory. Also remember that back in 2012, Jack Ruggirello was found dead in his restaurant - Trattoria Ruggirello - which had burned down under suspicious circumstances. Sal Canzoneri was also killed in Highland Park likely by Jack Gail back in 2000.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

I think Rugirello was killed by Mandell. That’s what I heard. That would have been a grand Ave hit
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Needles Gianola was an interesting guy who was credited with a lot of hits, including the attempted murder of Torrio - was his father in law Lawrence Mangano or another powerful old timer?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

SolarSolano wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:22 am Needles Gianola was an interesting guy who was credited with a lot of hits, including the attempted murder of Torrio - was his father in law Lawrence Mangano or another powerful old timer?
Paul Labriola was the step son of Mangano. Gianola was associated with Crackers Mendino and Phil Alderisio.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:34 am
SolarSolano wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:22 am Needles Gianola was an interesting guy who was credited with a lot of hits, including the attempted murder of Torrio - was his father in law Lawrence Mangano or another powerful old timer?
Paul Labriola was the step son of Mangano. Gianola was associated with Crackers Mendino and Phil Alderisio.
I think the confusion with Labriola is due to the nicknames -- Labriola was called Needlenose whereas Gianola was just Needles.

SolarSolano I'm assuming that you saw Labriola's dad as implicated in the Torrio hit attempt? The son -- as with Gianola -- was way too young at the time.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

Patrickgold wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:17 am I think Rugirello was killed by Mandell. That’s what I heard. That would have been a grand Ave hit
I was always under the impression that Mandell was an Elmwood Park guy. However, as we have discussed, it is likely that EP was folded into Grand sometime between 2000-2010. I always referenced this article and quote from the tribune when thinking about this theory. This is from the story about Mandell.

In reading below, I pick up two things. First that he considered himself an Elmwood Park guy. Second, that he goes to Albie Vena for permission to kill someone. (The part where he asks Vena for permission is from a different article, but the sitdown is referenced here below).

Why would an EP guy go to Vena for permission? Because by that time Vena was overseeing what was left of EP. My theory anyway.

The article below also incorrectly refers to Vena as the boss of Elmwood Park.

Mandell sure was a nasty dude.

After that legal setback, Mandell moved to Naples, Fla., for a time, but when he returned to Chicago, he had changed his last name to Mandell and quickly tried to establish himself in the city’s criminal underworld, according to evidence at his 2014 trial.

Michael, the FBI informant, testified that he was introduced to Mandell in July 2012 as he was lunching at La Scarola on West Grand Avenue in Chicago. A mob associate brought Mandell over to the table where Michael was sitting with reputed Outfit boss Albert “The Little Guy” Vena and several others, according to the testimony.

Two months after that meeting, Michael dropped a bombshell on his FBI handlers. He said Mandell had come to his office that morning in September 2012 and asked for his help on a plan to lure Brookfield businessman Steve Campbell to a phony real estate deal, then kidnap and torture him until he gave up his cash and signed over deeds to all his properties.

The FBI instructed Michael to play along. Two days later, agents were listening as the two talked about potential locations for “Club Med” — an industrial space Mandell wanted to take his victims to that would be outfitted with saws, handcuffs, zip ties and surgical instruments, as well as an industrial sink for draining blood, authorities said.

Just two days before the fire that killed Ruggirello, the FBI had set up video and audio recording equipment at Michael’s realty office in the 6300 block of North Milwaukee Avenue, according to the FBI affidavit.

On that morning, Mandell was captured talking not only about the planned abduction and murder of Campbell — whom he jokingly referred to as “Soupy Sales” — but also a separate plan to kill a reputed mob-connected businessman named Anthony Quaranta in order to take control of his piece of a lucrative Bridgeview strip club called PoleKatz. For days, Mandell had been casing Quaranta’s home and monitoring his wife’s movements, even placing a GPS device on her car, according to the evidence.

In their conversation, Mandell discussed his frustration with what he perceived to be weak and ineffective Outfit bosses, including Vena, identified in testimony as the reputed leader of the mob’s Elmwood Park crew.

“I’ll show you what Elmwood Park really looks like,” Mandell said to Michael, making a slitting motion across this throat on the video. “I can get really nasty.”
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Villain wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:13 am
Hired_Goonz wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:03 am
Villain wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:32 am Speaking about wiretaps, heres few interesting "quotes" from Frank the German Schweihs....

The first one is about one street tax collector who Schweihs didn't like:

FRANK: "I think he's gonna open up a hotdog stand in Alaska."

The second one is regarding North Side member Mike Glitta who sent someone to shake down Schweihs' associate Red Wemette:

FRANK: "Now, if Mike sent this cocksucker, sent this cocksucker here to bother you, Mike's in some fucking serious trouble, Red! Cause he has no excuse, he knows better. He knows this fucking joint is spoke for. And I don't think he would be that stupid to try and step on my fucking pecker or the people I'm affiliated with. Do you understand?"

And in the last one, Schweihs reassures Red Wemette that he's safe from harm as long as Schweihs protects him:

FRANK: "No, you don't have to be afraid, you got my word on that. There ain't no one gonna fucking touch you unless they knock me down first, and I'm not an easy guy to knock down, Red. You're with us, you're with me and there ain't no one gonna fuck with you - case closed! You got my fucking solemn promise on that."
Didn't he go on to say about this Glitta guy "I hope the fuck he did send the guy! What do you think about that?" Lol was there beef between Glitta and the German?
Lol to tell you the truth i never researched the whole situation, but both the Grand Av crew (Lombardo, Schweihs) and the North Side mob (Solano, Glitta) operated on each others territories and so theres a great possibility that the beef really occurred, altough Glitta died of natural causes :)
Glitta may have thought he could move in on Wemette now that Lombardo was in prison and Louie Eboli was dead. Schweihs was also caught saying this on a recording so we may be able to chalk it up to the typical braggadocio that occurs in such situations, although Schweihs was a nut and a killer so he would have probably said to Glitta's face given the opportunity.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

What was Mandell's name originally before he changed it to Mandell?
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

Snakes wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:49 am
Villain wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:32 am Speaking about wiretaps, heres few interesting "quotes" from Frank the German Schweihs....

The second one is regarding North Side member Mike Glitta who sent someone to shake down Schweihs' associate Red Wemette:

FRANK: "Now, if Mike sent this cocksucker, sent this cocksucker here to bother you, Mike's in some fucking serious trouble, Red! Cause he has no excuse, he knows better. He knows this fucking joint is spoke for. And I don't think he would be that stupid to try and step on my fucking pecker or the people I'm affiliated with. Do you understand?"

And in the last one, Schweihs reassures Red Wemette that he's safe from harm as long as Schweihs protects him:

FRANK: "No, you don't have to be afraid, you got my word on that. There ain't no one gonna fucking touch you unless they knock me down first, and I'm not an easy guy to knock down, Red. You're with us, you're with me and there ain't no one gonna fuck with you - case closed! You got my fucking solemn promise on that."
Didn't he go on to say about this Glitta guy "I hope the fuck he did send the guy! What do you think about that?" Lol was there beef between Glitta and the German?
Lol to tell you the truth i never researched the whole situation, but both the Grand Av crew (Lombardo, Schweihs) and the North Side mob (Solano, Glitta) operated on each others territories and so theres a great possibility that the beef really occurred, altough Glitta died of natural causes :)
Glitta may have thought he could move in on Wemette now that Lombardo was in prison and Louie Eboli was dead. Schweihs was also caught saying this on a recording so we may be able to chalk it up to the typical braggadocio that occurs in such situations, although Schweihs was a nut and a killer so he would have probably said to Glitta's face given the opportunity.
Maybe Scheiws told Glitta to do it to add validity to ghe shakedown. Like to see you need me if you dont someone else will come in here and ask for more/ bigger piece.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Tonyd621 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:07 pm
Snakes wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:49 am

Maybe Scheiws told Glitta to do it to add validity to ghe shakedown. Like to see you need me if you dont someone else will come in here and ask for more/ bigger piece.
The only thing about that was Wemette already belonged to Grand Avenue and therefore to Schweihs. Remember Schweihs said "this is a declared fuckin' joint."