General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

scagghiuni
Full Patched

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by scagghiuni »

ChicagoOutfit wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:59 pm What is the etymology of the phrase "Cosa Nostra?"

As in, who started using it? The Americans? ...and then the Sicilians started to use the phrase after? Or was the phrase brought over to the states by the Sicilians? If it was the Sicilians that started using the phrase and brought it over to the US, which clan/family was the first to use it? If the phrase was started in US, when did the Sicilians start to use it in Sicily?

TIA
the sicilians began to use that name in the 1950s, before then the organization did not have a specific name, or at most 'society of men of honor', from the newspapers called 'mafia' after the unification of italy (1860) and 'sect' before, anyway it had the same structure and ranks
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: General Mob Questions

Post by Lupara »

bert wrote:Now I'm curious, who were the other soldiers besides DeMeo who were part of Gaggi's crew?
I'll echo this. Wondering as well.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Here is a ggret breakdown of the Gaggi Crew Circa 1979 that JD posted some years back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Known members under Gambino Captain Anthony Gaggi by the beginning of 1979:

1. Anthony 'Nino' Gaggi (54y)

Soldiers
- Frank Bonino (62y)
- John 'Johnny Pesche' Chiarello (66y)
- Joseph 'Joe Brewster' Delmonico (59y)
- Roy DeMeo (39y)
- Gregory DePalma (47y) (IP)
- James 'Jimmy the Clam' Eppolito (63y) (Murdered 10.1979)
?- James Eppolito Jr. (33y) (Murdered 10.1979)
- Frank 'Butch' Guglielmini (54y)
- Joseph Guglielmini (69y)
- Accursio 'Swifty' Marinelli (68y)
- Victor Masotto (70y)
- Peter 'Petey 17' Piacenti (58y)

Associates [most with DeMeo]
- Vito Arena (37y)
- Henry Borelli (31y)
- James Coonan (33y) (Westies)
- Frederick DiNome (39y)
- Paul 'Paulie Pinto' Dordal (33y)
- Joseph 'Dracula' Guglielmo (51y)
- Philip 'Philly Glass' Massi
- Dominick Montiglio (32y) (On Record with Gaggi) (Fled 12.1979)
- Harvey 'Chris' Rosenberg (29y) (Murdered 5.1979)
- Edward 'Fast Eddie' Rendini (30y)
- Frank Santora Jr. (43y) (On Record with Eppolito)
- Anthony Senter (24y)
- Joseph Testa (24y)
- Patrick Testa (22y)
- Ronald 'Bulldog' Turekian (22y)
- Ronald Ustica (35y) (Partner with DeMeo in autotheft operation)
- Herman 'Hymie' Weisberger (59y) (On Record with DeMeo)
- + many others not listed

It's worth noting that several guys previously under Vincent Corrao in the 1970s wound up with Gaggi. There were likely others from that crew. but I limited it only to the ones named specifically.

After DeMeo's murder control of the Westies was given over to Daniel Marino, a Soldier under James Failla (these guys all go back to the original Lombardozzi-Gennaro regime). When Gotti became Boss he made Marino a captain and presumably most of Gaggi's remaining crew was put with him or broken up.

Another possible crew member would be Peter Castellana, but I'm not sure if he was moved at some point. I'd be interested to see if anyone can identify some more made members of this crew.
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Super wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:08 pm Hey guys any one help me with who was in punchy and blasts crew once they was co capos for the west side
Would be keen to know the answer as well if anyone can assist.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

gohnjotti wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:28 pm Soldiers can have associates that are “on record” with them, forming a de facto crew of associates that answer to the soldier. Multiple cooperating witnesses have testified to this, the most recent example I have looked at being Joe Campanella.
Yeah, Definitely. That was the basic structure of the Outfit from our research. When a guy became made (ceremony or in some other way) he was now put in charge of something and had his own little crew of guys that worked under him. Their power began and ended with him. Sometimes, there was more than one made guy running a sub crew. It all varied depending on what was being done. Bookmaking usually always involved more than one made guy running a sub crew.
Sometimes, there was even a small crew of associates run by one main associate who answered to the made guy in charge of a particular area or racket. Example would have been a small robbery crew that acted on their own but answered to a particular made guy/guys who in addition had his/their own sub Crew.
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
JMAN723
Straightened out

Post by JMAN723 »

Amershire_Ed wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:24 pm
bert wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:18 pm
Amershire_Ed wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:50 pm This is probably the most basic of basic questions, but what typically defines a “crew”? For some reason I was under the impression that a crew typically was a group of made guys and associates under the supervision of a captain. But that doesnt work with the DeMeo Crew for example. Nino Gaggi was a captain, and Roy DeMeo was just an associate for much of his time on the street. But Gaggi is often lumped in as part of the DeMeo Crew even though he had a higher rank than anyone in the DeMeo Crew. What am I misunderstanding here?
It's people using the term crew loosely. People refer to old friends as their old crew for example. A Mafia crew is a captain and soldiers, that's it. Associates are with a crew, but not really part of it. There have been a few associates who were as close to being part of a crew as can be, Joe Watts is an example. If DeMeo was not a captain, and the people with him were not made at the time, they were not a crew in the Mafia sense of the word.
So in the mafia sense, the DeMeo Crew was actually the Gaggi Crew? It just seems like a lotta mob guys refer to it as the DeMeo Crew. I’ve never heard anyone call them the Gaggi Crew. That’s why I was a little confused.
Technically Nino Gaggi was their captain. But Chris, Anthony,Joey Henry,Freddy,etc all reported to Roy. Roy was the only made guy in the Demeo crew. Technically their crew was apart of the Gaggi regime
Etna
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Etna »

Is Caffe Intermezzo on Bloomfield ave in Newark, NJ a "spot"?
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

nino's crew john chiarello was with jimmy brown brewster was with aureole and not made in79. it was tom masotto.i believe anthony vitta was with nino,but not 100% also jimmy jr was not made
pharion
Straightened out

Post by pharion »

bronx wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:48 pm nino's crew john chiarello was with jimmy brown brewster was with aureole and not made in79. it was tom masotto.i believe anthony vitta was with nino,but not 100% also jimmy jr was not made
Vitta was with Armone then I think he went with Failla.
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

Tony Pepsi.... ORIGINALLY was brought around and groomed by Joe N. Gallo, his “compare”..... of this I’m 100% certain 😎
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

maxiestern11 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:03 pm Tony Pepsi.... ORIGINALLY was brought around and groomed by Joe N. Gallo, his “compare”..... of this I’m 100% certain 😎
Where was tony pepsi from?
Etna
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Etna »

What were the origins of the Lucchese Brooklyn faction?

I know the family started in the Bronx and Harlem, but habe idea how the Brooklyn faction became incorporated into the family.
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

AlexfromSouth wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:51 am
maxiestern11 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:03 pm Tony Pepsi.... ORIGINALLY was brought around and groomed by Joe N. Gallo, his “compare”..... of this I’m 100% certain 😎
I know he had lived in the Astoria area at one time. As you know that’s where Gallo lived for years.
-
I did a profile on Vitta. I think it said he was born here, but I tell you, I’ve met him and I always thought he was born on the other side, because he seemed to almost have like an accent when he talked.... so I’m not sure where he originated from. I met him twice in the mid-1970’s
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

maxiestern11 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:49 am
I know he had lived in the Astoria area at one time. As you know that’s where Gallo lived for years.
-
I did a profile on Vitta. I think it said he was born here, but I tell you, I’ve met him and I always thought he was born on the other side, because he seemed to almost have like an accent when he talked.... so I’m not sure where he originated from. I met him twice in the mid-1970’s
You met him in Bath beach? Were you made Maxie? :)
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

AlexfromSouth wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:31 pm
maxiestern11 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:49 am
-
You met him in Bath beach? Were you made Maxie? :)
No, he used to operate a bar/eatery called the Ravenswood Inn in Whitestone, Queens...... we went there to pay him a call one evening. I went back after that one evening with a date because she came from that general area so it was close for us. -
-
And no I am not made as you say. I just happen to have grown up with a lot of nice people, and have a lot of “friends”!