Frank Cali shot dead

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Frank Cali shot dead

Post by Lupara »

slimshady_007 wrote:
Villain wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:25 am It will be quite interesting if the feds' final conclusion is that Cali was murdered over some family issues, meaning after 10 or 15 years his murder will be still looked upon with large suspicion, same as the ones which occurred through out the mobs history in the US
To be honest, the whole situation is puzzling. A kid whos not even a mob associate, whacks one of the top Gambinos over a women. I still dont get why Comello, whos obviously a nut, would crash in to Cali’s car as a way of luring him to his death. Why did he plan it so well? And did he rly think that if he got away with the murder, that the Gambinos weren’t gunna retaliate? Not sayin anything like ik for sure it was a mob hit, but im just confused.
Good point. And apparantly there was another car at the scene. It can't be ruled out that this kid wasn't manipulated by somebody.
Bklyn21
Full Patched

Re: Frank Cali shot dead

Post by Bklyn21 »

Supposedly there was another car, And im pretty sure there was supposedly another passenger in the vehicle according to some witnesses
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

Bklyn21 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:17 am Supposedly there was another car, And im pretty sure there was supposedly another passenger in the vehicle according to some witnesses
we can find a conspiracy in any scenario
The second shooter was spouse to kill both cali and the kid and he chickend out, will be interesting to see how it shakes out

I think Bronx point is on point , the kid had second thoughts when he first came out then flipped out and shot him in the back
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
Ozgoz
Straightened out

Post by Ozgoz »

I think there is more/something else we don’t know.

Also I think it’s s bit harsh to critisize people for wild speculating, when the end result is completely unthinkable this time last week.
WHHAAT MUUUYDAAAAH???????
Dante
Honorary Member

Post by Dante »

slimshady_007 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:37 am
Villain wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:25 am It will be quite interesting if the feds' final conclusion is that Cali was murdered over some family issues, meaning after 10 or 15 years his murder will be still looked upon with large suspicion, same as the ones which occurred through out the mobs history in the US
To be honest, the whole situation is puzzling. A kid whos not even a mob associate, whacks one of the top Gambinos over a women. I still dont get why Comello, whos obviously a nut, would crash in to Cali’s car as a way of luring him to his death. Why did he plan it so well? And did he rly think that if he got away with the murder, that the Gambinos weren’t gunna retaliate? Not sayin anything like ik for sure it was a mob hit, but im just confused.
He didn’t plan it well at all. He was identified and arrested after a couple of days. He left prints at the scene and kept the vehicle.
Camo
Straightened out

Post by Camo »

Lupara wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:08 am
Camo wrote:Honestly, i think this outcome is weirder than most of the theories.
Yeah, and that is why it's easy to say in retrospect how we all let our imaginations run wild when that is kind of an obvious response to a mob boss getting killed, especially someone like Cali who was believed to run a tight ship.
There was also valid reasons to believe he could have been killed by the mob (outside of him just being a mobster) particularly the rumour of him cheating on his wife who is an Inzerillo and that he wasn't at that party. Iirc those both came from Felice whose info has been excellent.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Mob hit or not the whole situation is very interesting just as it is bizarre. It will keep us talking about it for some time, which in itself is good. Sometimes you need a change of pace from the regular searching for a 90-year-old-man's obituary, George Anastasia's "you knows" and The Arm's ever increasing power.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

For what it's worth this thread has already surpassed the Buffalo/Violi thread in number of posts, which is over 1200 now in less than a week. Has there ever been a more popular thread? The only one that comes close that I remember was the Nick Rizzuto has been shot thread of the RD. I whish we could read that still as it had similar speculation and wild theories.
Camo
Straightened out

Post by Camo »

Lupara wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:01 am For what it's worth this thread has already surpassed the Buffalo/Violi thread in number of posts, which is over 1200 now in less than a week. Has there ever been a more popular thread? The only one that comes close that I remember was the Nick Rizzuto has been shot thread of the RD. I whish we could read that still as it had similar speculation and wild theories.
Just checked and GBB has four threads with more posts than this, none of them would've happened in 4 days obviously they'll be longrunning ones. First is "Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over" with nearly twice as many, it's been going on for six years though. Think this is unprecedented, i wasn't on the RD though.
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

Ozgoz wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:54 am I think there is more/something else we don’t know.

Also I think it’s s bit harsh to critisize people for wild speculating, when the end result is completely unthinkable this time last week.
This. It's the most talked about mob incident in years. It wouldn't be right for us nerds to not speculate and throw out some wild theories. :D
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

I thought it was fun for us to speculate. He' was in the mob, why wouldn't you think he was clipped. I think since we imediately started speculating everyone posting knew it was just a pure guess and knew there was a possibility of it being non LCN related. I think the truth of what happened is just as easily crazy as Gene being behind it.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Frank wrote:I thought it was fun for us to speculate. He' was in the mob, why wouldn't you think he was clipped. I think since we imediately started speculating everyone posting knew it was just a pure guess and knew there was a possibility of it being non LCN related. I think the truth of what happened is just as easily crazy as Gene being behind it.
It's more crazy imho.
SILENT PARTNERZ
Full Patched

Post by SILENT PARTNERZ »

Anthony Comello to waive extradition from N.J. to face charge he gunned down mob boss in N.Y., attorney says
Updated 11:27 AM; Today 9:32 AM

The 24-year-old man arrested in New Jersey Saturday on charges he shot and killed a reputed mob boss in Staten Island last week is expected to waive extradition Monday when he appears in court in Ocean County on Monday, his attorney said.

High-powered New York lawyer Robert Gottlieb also told NJ Advance Media that his client, Anthony Comello, has been scheduled to appear in court in Staten Island on March 25.
Comello, 24, of Staten Island, was apprehended early Saturday on Cadiz Drive in a bayfront community in Brick. Property records show his relatives own one of the dozen homes on the quiet, secluded street. Comello was held over the weekend at the Ocean County jail after being charged with murder. He faces a charge of being a fugitive from justice in New Jersey, according to court records.

On Sunday, law enforcement continued to limit access the neighborhood at the southernmost end of Brick, where most houses have boat docks.

Cali, 53, who also went by “Frank” or "Franky Boy,” was shot 10 times with a 9mm handgun Wednesday night outside his home in the Hilltop Terrace section of Staten Island.
According to The New York Times, at about 9:15 p.m. on Wednesday, Comello backed his pickup truck into Cali’s parked Cadillac Escalade, then walked up to the door of his home and rang the doorbell, showing himself on video cameras.

The brazen killing was the first slaying in more than 30 years of a New York City crime boss.

While the motive for the killing remains unclear, preliminary information suggests it might not be related to organized crime, according to SILive.com. The report, citing sources, said Comello may have pursued a relationship with a female member of Cali’s family and was denied.
Federal prosecutors in Brooklyn had referred to Cali in court filings in recent years as the underboss of the Gambino organization, related through marriage to the Inzerillo clan in the Sicilian Mafia.

Multiple press accounts since 2015 said Cali had ascended to the top spot in the gang, although he never faced a criminal charge saying so.

His only mob-related criminal conviction came a decade ago, when Cali pleaded guilty in an extortion conspiracy involving a failed attempt to build a NASCAR track on Staten Island. He was sentenced to 16 months in federal prison and was released in 2009.

The last crime family boss to be shot in New York City was Paul Castellano. The Gambino crime boss was assassinated outside Sparks Steakhouse in Manhattan in 1985.

The Gambino family was once among the most powerful criminal organizations in the U.S., but federal prosecutions in the 1980s and 1990s sent its top leaders to prison and diminished its reach.
'three can keep a secret, if two are dead'
Camo
Straightened out

Post by Camo »

The report, citing sources, said Comello may have pursued a relationship with a female member of Cali’s family and was denied.
That wording makes it sound like he tried to get with his niece and she rejected him so he killed her uncle. I'm sure it was just to keep it short so as not to keep repeating the same things but that would actually make a lot more sense because it could explain why he hit the car and why Frank shook his hand since he didn't know who he was.
PaddyWhack
Straightened out

Post by PaddyWhack »

“Sometime in recent years, his strange behavior in a federal courthouse led the United States Marshals Service to briefly take him into custody and ask the Police Department’s Intelligence Division to check its records to determine if he had any history of terroristic threats.“

Truly a whackadoo...I wonder what that is all about?