Gambino 1960's Chart (in progress)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re: Gambino 1960's Chart (in progress)

Post by Angelo Santino »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:51 am Thanks Clark. So Alu was most likely made in the 1970s. Chris, CASTIGLIONE, ISADORE was born 16 July 1909, received Social Security number 044-07-2834 (indicating Connecticut) and, Death Master File says, died April 1972. His wife' s name was Maria Stella Sardo if that helps.
Thanks. I can find him in CT but I cant locate him prior to that when he lived in Bk which has made it hard identifying his parents. Antiliar will figure it out. Hes the best at this.

Thanks for trying and for all the help. Got 125 addresses done today.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Chris Christie wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:45 pm
HairyKnuckles wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:51 am Thanks Clark. So Alu was most likely made in the 1970s. Chris, CASTIGLIONE, ISADORE was born 16 July 1909, received Social Security number 044-07-2834 (indicating Connecticut) and, Death Master File says, died April 1972. His wife' s name was Maria Stella Sardo if that helps.
Thanks. I can find him in CT but I cant locate him prior to that when he lived in Bk which has made it hard identifying his parents. Antiliar will figure it out. Hes the best at this.

I believe that Isadore Castiglione was born 1909 in NYC to Angelo Castiglione and Paola Mustazza. There is a Manhattan birth record for a "Tiodoro" Castiglione with these parents, born 1909/07/19. The parents were married in Brooklyn in 1908, with Angelo stating that his parents were Isidoro Castiglione and Vincenza Adamo; Paola listed hers as Pietro Mustazza and Anna Severini. In his WW1 draft registration, Angelo (married to Paola) states that he was born 1881/01/19. In 1915, an Angelo Castiglione, resident in Brooklyn, had filed for US naturalization, stating that his birthdate was 1881/01/19 and that he was born in Castellammare del Golfo. That document lists the same address as the later draft registration, 238 N 5th St (Williamsburg, makes sense given CDG...). However, in 1929, there is a record of an Angelo Castiglione, born 1881, who was returning to NYC from a trip to Sicily. The passenger manifest stated that he was born in Monte San Giuliano (renamed Erice in 1934, of course), where his father Isidoro resided.

This matches the passenger list for a 1914 trip back from Sicily where Paola Mustazza (daughter of Pietro Mustazza) was traveling with her sister-in-law Giovanna Castiglione, brother-in-law Andrea Castiglione, and her two young children, Isidoro (aged 4 at the time) and Vincenza Castiglione. Paola's husband (and father of her children) was listed as Angelo Castiglione, and they resided at 385 Metropolitan Ave in Williamsburg (this is just a few houses down from 238 N 5th). Giovanna, Andrea, and Angelo's father was listed as Isidoro Castiglione, residing in M.S. Giuliano. Paola's birthplace was also listed as M.S. Giuliano, while Giovanna and Andrea Castiglione were listed as born in Calatafimi. Isidoro and his sister were listed as born in Brooklyn.

In 1925 the Castigliones still lived on N 5th St, but by 1940 they had moved to 1571 Dekalb Ave in Bushwick, though Isidore had left by then (haven't found a 1930 census record for them yet, presumably due to spelling errors with the surname). In 1925, it seems that Isidore was listed as "Zito".
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Father's name was Giacomo Cracchiolo (or Cracchiola) (b c.1893) and mother was Anna Lagana. Giacomo's father's name was Ignazio, but could not find the mother's name. I suspect it was Isabella Cracchiolo Balsamo since their first two children were named Ignatius and Isabella.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:26 pm

I believe that Isadore Castiglione was born 1909 in NYC to Angelo Castiglione and Paola Mustazza. There is a Manhattan birth record for a "Tiodoro" Castiglione with these parents, born 1909/07/19. The parents were married in Brooklyn in 1908, with Angelo stating that his parents were Isidoro Castiglione and Vincenza Adamo; Paola listed hers as Pietro Mustazza and Anna Severini. In his WW1 draft registration, Angelo (married to Paola) states that he was born 1881/01/19. In 1915, an Angelo Castiglione, resident in Brooklyn, had filed for US naturalization, stating that his birthdate was 1881/01/19 and that he was born in Castellammare del Golfo. That document lists the same address as the later draft registration, 238 N 5th St (Williamsburg, makes sense given CDG...). However, in 1929, there is a record of an Angelo Castiglione, born 1881, who was returning to NYC from a trip to Sicily. The passenger manifest stated that he was born in Monte San Giuliano (renamed Erice in 1934, of course), where his father Isidoro resided.

This matches the passenger list for a 1914 trip back from Sicily where Paola Mustazza (daughter of Pietro Mustazza) was traveling with her sister-in-law Giovanna Castiglione, brother-in-law Andrea Castiglione, and her two young children, Isidoro (aged 4 at the time) and Vincenza Castiglione. Paola's husband (and father of her children) was listed as Angelo Castiglione, and they resided at 385 Metropolitan Ave in Williamsburg (this is just a few houses down from 238 N 5th). Giovanna, Andrea, and Angelo's father was listed as Isidoro Castiglione, residing in M.S. Giuliano. Paola's birthplace was also listed as M.S. Giuliano, while Giovanna and Andrea Castiglione were listed as born in Calatafimi. Isidoro and his sister were listed as born in Brooklyn.

In 1925 the Castigliones still lived on N 5th St, but by 1940 they had moved to 1571 Dekalb Ave in Bushwick, though Isidore had left by then (haven't found a 1930 census record for them yet, presumably due to spelling errors with the surname). In 1925, it seems that Isidore was listed as "Zito".
Thank you. That's very interesting as one would think he would have been with the Trapanese Bonannos, even Erice was tied to CDG in the 1880's. It is what it is but makes me wonder if his affiliation was misidentified.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:29 am

Thank you. That's very interesting as one would think he would have been with the Trapanese Bonannos, even Erice was tied to CDG in the 1880's. It is what it is but makes me wonder if his affiliation was misidentified.
Yeah, I was thinking the same. Especially given that his father identified enough with CDG to apparently give this as his birthplace on his naturalization record, even if that wasn't technically correct, and the family lived in Williamsburg/Bushwick. It seems that after he joined the army during WW2 (?) he relocated to CT and maybe at that point he fell in with the Gambinos.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

PolackTony wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:00 am
Chris Christie wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:29 am

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Especially given that his father identified enough with CDG to apparently give this as his birthplace on his naturalization record, even if that wasn't technically correct, and the family lived in Williamsburg/Bushwick. It seems that after he joined the army during WW2 (?) he relocated to CT and maybe at that point he fell in with the Gambinos.
Leads me to think that it fell under "personal," maybe there was a problem with a Bonanno that prevented his 'career' with that borgata or maybe he had no contacts to that group when he ingratiated himself with 'the life.' It's never been an exact science despite the fact that he's now number 2 in the cast of CDG connected members who weren't Bonannos in NY, the other one being the more recent Dino Calabro of the Colombos I think.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Was Filippo Pappa T-based?
Name Filippo Pappa
Spouse Francesca di Girolamo
Father Michele Pappa
Mother Gelsomina D'Amato
Children Susan Anunciata
Birth 5 Mar 1891 Minturno, Latina, Lazio, Italy
Death 9 Nov 1969 Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut, USA
Residence Apr 01, 1940 Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut, USA
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Chris Christie wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:34 pm
Name Filippo Pappa
Father Michele Pappa
Mother Gelsomina D'Amato
Children Susan Anunciata
All I have is the name and that he was deceased by 1976.

A Schenactady man with that name was indicted in 1916 on manslaughter charges. The case was thrown out after a witness (Anna Gallo) confessed to have lied about the defendant. I don´t know if this Filippo Rappa relocated to Hartford, Connecticut later on.
pappa.png

There was a Filippo Papa living in NY too (note the spelling of last name). He was born Jan 18, 1900 and died November 1978. But that doesn´t fit with the Filippo Pappa listed as a deceased Gambino member on a FBI list dated Jan 1977.

Regarding Frank Perrone. I found him in the 1940 Census. It says he was born in Italy, which could explain why he´s hard to track down. One funny thing is that he is listed as a bookmaker. Wasn´t being a bookmaker illegal back in 1940?
perrone.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There you have it, never printed before.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Regarding Joseph Zingaro; I´m almost certain this is the Joseph Zingaro who later became member of the Gambino Family:
zingaro.png

So he had a brother named John. A NY census search show that two brothers Zingaro (Joseph and John), living in the Bronx, were sons of John (born in or around 1877) and Concetta (born in or around 1887).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:56 am
Chris Christie wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:34 pm
Name Filippo Pappa
Father Michele Pappa
Mother Gelsomina D'Amato
Children Susan Anunciata
All I have is the name and that he was deceased by 1976.

A Schenactady man with that name was indicted in 1916 on manslaughter charges. The case was thrown out after a witness (Anna Gallo) confessed to have lied about the defendant. I don´t know if this Filippo Rappa relocated to Hartford, Connecticut later on.

pappa.png

There was a Filippo Papa living in NY too (note the spelling of last name). He was born Jan 18, 1900 and died November 1978. But that doesn´t fit with the Filippo Pappa listed as a deceased Gambino member on a FBI list dated Jan 1977.

Regarding Frank Perrone. I found him in the 1940 Census. It says he was born in Italy, which could explain why he´s hard to track down. One funny thing is that he is listed as a bookmaker. Wasn´t being a bookmaker illegal back in 1940?

perrone.png
Some we can't really look up and looks like he's one of them. As it stands out of 319 names I'm missing 25 addresses and 29 origins which isn't too shabby.

Gotcha. I had his DOB as 1909/11/22, his WW2 draft reads 1909/10/21. There are occasionally discrepancies, different documents show different dates but it's unquestionably the same person but with this one, given the commonality of the surname made me hesitate jumping to any assumptions. Thanks!
44025_04_00066-00876.jpg
Could this be Vincent Crisalli? He died in 1977
44027_03_00032-00767.jpg
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Hold that thought on Crisalli.
crisalli.PNG
If this is the Crisalli he had to have been at least 20 between 1929 and 1940 making the 1926 one too young. There was an older V. Crisalli on Henry St who was born in 1894 whose job on paper would likely get him on that list above-
NY-2369379-4302.jpg
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Chris Christie wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:05 am Hold that thought on Crisalli.

crisalli.PNG

If this is the Crisalli he had to have been at least 20 between 1929 and 1940 making the 1926 one too young. There was an older V. Crisalli on Henry St who was born in 1894 whose job on paper would likely get him on that list above-
NY-2369379-4302.jpg
Yes that´s him. His father´s name was Joseph and mother´s name was Maria. The younger Crisalli you posted above was the son of Martha, Jimmy Crisalli´s sister. He also had a notorious brother named Paul. Jimmy Crisalli died in 1954.

https://sv.findagrave.com/memorial/1278 ... t-crisalli
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

An ongoing pattern amongst these names seems to be employment at the piers.

He's not on the list of 60's members and I'm not sure if his status was ever confirmed but could be a potential early Lupo-D'Aquila-Mangano member.

Salvatore Mangiamelli,1878/7/29, Palermitan, president of local 338 also listed his employment there.
NY-2370182-0222.jpg
He died in May of 1970.
USM1490_1920-0009.jpg
Photo
USM1490_1920-0010.jpg
Clark
Straightened out

Post by Clark »

He would be a good bet, but I have never seen it mentioned or confirmed. You can see his name on committees with some heavy-hitters dating back to the Mangano era, he was in a position of power in a union that the Gambino family controlled etc. What else is telling is that his sons also became leaders in Local 338, which might suggest he wasn't just a figurehead but rather someone who could place relatives in key roles.

Like those connected to the Camarda family (who were tied to the Mangano family), he and his sons were definitely part of the group on the waterfront that lost some sway when Anastasia took over and began to work towards amalgamating the Brooklyn locals. After the Crime Commission investigations, one son was convicted for shady union business, another moved to Florida, and their name doesn't appear much once they were absorbed into 1814.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Chris Christie wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:05 am .
I updated the free Italian records. You may find things you couldn't find before.