Visiting Kansas City

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Visiting Kansas City

Post by nash143 »

Civella 1960
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by nash143 »

Charles Bengimina
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by nash143 »

Frank Tousa - 1963
nash143
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by nash143 »

Chris Christie wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:24 am Missing photos-
Sam Carrollo
Charles Bengimina
Paul DiGiovanni
John Molle
Frank Tousa
Here's a few photos. I've never been able to find photos of the other guys.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

B. wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:55 pm Great link. Curious about the Joe Licavoli on there, says he was connected to Detroit. A Sam Licavoli is also listed. The infamous Licavolis had a brother and relatives in St. Louis but never heard of anyone in KC.
I wondered the same thing
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Thank you, Nash. I will be sure to credit you.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

With the exception of Chiappetta who moved/transferred to St Louis, 100% of the KC membership lived in KC. Unlike other Families like CL, Pittsburgh, Detroit and Phila. that were regional groups. Even Chicago appears to have been mostly contained to Chicago/Heights with exceptions.

I wonder if we'll find the same thing for St Louis, Madison, Milwaukee, Rockford and Springfield.

In terms of mapping this, is it even relevant? There are no factions and it seems more interesting where the city was situated rather than where members lived.
kcmap2.PNG
kcmap.PNG
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Chris Christie wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:28 am With the exception of Chiappetta who moved/transferred to St Louis, 100% of the KC membership lived in KC. Unlike other Families like CL, Pittsburgh, Detroit and Phila. that were regional groups. Even Chicago appears to have been mostly contained to Chicago/Heights with exceptions.

I wonder if we'll find the same thing for St Louis, Madison, Milwaukee, Rockford and Springfield.

In terms of mapping this, is it even relevant? There are no factions and it seems more interesting where the city was situated rather than where members lived.

kcmap2.PNG
kcmap.PNG

As stated, I want each of these 63 charts to be measurable with one another-
1) Origins (Region, Prov, City)
2) Occupation
3) Addresses (condensed or scattered)

Multi-citied families and single city families have different needs when it comes to mapping. And this KC Family has 3 members today who weren't Sicilian, so the mainland Italy map is redundant compared to a NY Families. It's stuff that I as the designer have to deal with but I'm open to ideas and suggestions.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Chris Christie wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:38 am
Chris Christie wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:28 am With the exception of Chiappetta who moved/transferred to St Louis, 100% of the KC membership lived in KC. Unlike other Families like CL, Pittsburgh, Detroit and Phila. that were regional groups. Even Chicago appears to have been mostly contained to Chicago/Heights with exceptions.

kcmap2.PNG
kcmap.PNG

As stated, I want each of these 63 charts to be measurable with one another-
1) Origins (Region, Prov, City)
2) Occupation
3) Addresses (condensed or scattered)

Multi-citied families and single city families have different needs when it comes to mapping. And this KC Family has 3 members today who weren't Sicilian, so the mainland Italy map is redundant compared to a NY Families. It's stuff that I as the designer have to deal with but I'm open to ideas and suggestions.
Great work here. A major part of the picture with Chicago is the different dynamics of distinct Italian settlement communities in the city as well as adjacent suburbs (Melrose Park, the Heights, Gary). I know far less about KC but from what I can tell the North End was pretty much the Italian community, which was mostly Sicilian, so there was probably less context for distinct factions to form. Chicago developed crews that were like factions, almost like subfamilies, as they reflected multiple distinct Italian communities (I see it as almost like a regional family in that way but all contained within one huge metro area). This is just a tentative theory; as I said, I lack the kind of detailed domain knowledge of KC history and social geography to really make that comparison, but that’s how it looks to me.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

The KC Mafia developed in the North Side on certain streets. It would be interesting to see the proximity of certain members to each other. The important nuclei of KC were the DiGiovannis and the "men in the bakery."

We could also see if proximity reflected crews.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Antiliar wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:12 pm The KC Mafia developed in the North Side on certain streets. It would be interesting to see the proximity of certain members to each other. The important nuclei of KC were the DiGiovannis and the "men in the bakery."

Sent you the link to the map. I know shit about this city, if you see something that should be noted, Ill listen, the ones in green are from the Bakery and lived real close by.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Antiliar wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:12 pm The KC Mafia developed in the North Side on certain streets. It would be interesting to see the proximity of certain members to each other. The important nuclei of KC were the DiGiovannis and the "men in the bakery."

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Has anyone found John Lazia's heritage? Having trouble tracing it. The family used Lazio and Lazzio spellings as well and I've found multiple DOBs for him ranging from 1859-1864. There was a Giuseppe Lazio born in Sambuca in 1857 and that town shows up in Kansas City.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:42 pm Has anyone found John Lazia's heritage? Having trouble tracing it. The family used Lazio and Lazzio spellings as well and I've found multiple DOBs for him ranging from 1859-1864. There was a Giuseppe Lazio born in Sambuca in 1857 and that town shows up in Kansas City.
Were did you get that John Lazia was that old? KC papers reported him to have been born in the 1890s in Brooklyn. This matches a John Lazie [sic.] born in 1895 in NYC living in KC. The papers also reported that John’s father was Giuseppe Lazzio, who died in 1931 in KC. Giuseppe Lazzio was born sometime around 1860 and have his wife and John’s mother as Francesca Ligari. Haven’t narrowed the ancestry down yet but does this match the guy from Sambuca that you found?
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Sorry, I left out that I was referring to his father Giuseppe as being born 1859-1864, not John. I only found Italian records for the Giuseppe Lazio born 1857 in Sambuca so not sure that one ever came to the US but I haven't found any other candidates.