Revisiting the Magaddino transcript - names

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

bronx
Full Patched

Re: Revisiting the Magaddino transcript - names

Post by bronx »

louie d. from 18th ave was sent to kill neil ..he got away by running out the back door of the ravenite..
dimaggio
Associate

Post by dimaggio »

B. wrote:Is there any info on why Robilotto got released from the Genovese? I assume he was still with them at the time of the Moretti murder.
Its said Roberts was never made because one of his brothers Benny Robilotto was a cop. But that's strange because it says that this brother was in business with Jon Diogaurdia and was building mansions in Florida and buying restaurants. Pretty good on a cop salary

I

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... 4&tab=page
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

HairyKnuckles wrote:
bronx wrote:B. i found on hunts site, the american mafia..under dellacroce that rave was dead in 1958..maybe this can help with dates
Bronx, you may be right about Rava being the one who killed Roberts. In the FBN book, it says Rava´s "whereabouts unknown since 11-14-57". I took this as meaning that Rava was killed right after the Appalachin meeting. The statement is only half true. Rava did (with Salvatore Tornabe) turn himself in for questioning Nov 25th. I figure the statement was written down sometime in between those two dates. So with that in perspective, Rava could very well have been killed in late 1958.

Does anyone have access to NY Times old articles? Perhaps there is an article there saying when exactly Rava went missing?

B, if Rava was still alive in 1958, the "Dannarao" mentioned in the transcript could very well be Tommy Rava.
I'm not saying this is correct, but to me the name most similar to Dannaro is Rosario "Charles" Dongarro. Just sayin'.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

agree
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

bronx wrote:louie d. from 18th ave was sent to kill neil ..he got away by running out the back door of the ravenite..
Who was louie d. from 18th ave Bronx?
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

lets see if any bensonhurst guys on here know who louie d. is
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

bronx wrote:lets see if any bensonhurst guys on here know who louie d. is
In the meantime you could PM me. LOL
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Cheech wrote: We all come here to discuss and learn. And this the best forum i have ever been too. B. HK. Atiliar. jD. Felice. Pogo. Chris christie. All top notch people. Throw in charaxters like phat and jcb and foh and my girl ag77 and you got a great place.

Rant over. :ugeek:
Agreed. This is a great place for everybody who´s interested in Mafia related stuff. And it´s the posters who make this forum great. Each and single one of them. We all bring something to the table.
dimaggio wrote:
Its said Roberts was never made because one of his brothers Benny Robilotto was a cop. But that's strange because it says that this brother was in business with Jon Diogaurdia and was building mansions in Florida and buying restaurants. Pretty good on a cop salary

I

It´s true that Robert´s brother was a cop, or atleast some sort of LE agent. That may be the reason why the Genoveses rejected him. Anastasia however, was willing to bring him in. He was definitely a made Gambino, identified as a captain by multiple sources. Thanks for the link and welcome aboard DiMaggio.
bronx wrote:louie d. from 18th ave was sent to kill neil ..he got away by running out the back door of the ravenite..
Louie DeFilippoo?
There you have it, never printed before.
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

HairyKnuckles wrote:
Cheech wrote: We all come here to discuss and learn. And this the best forum i have ever been too. B. HK. Atiliar. jD. Felice. Pogo. Chris christie. All top notch people. Throw in charaxters like phat and jcb and foh and my girl ag77 and you got a great place.

Rant over. :ugeek:
Agreed. This is a great place for everybody who´s interested in Mafia related stuff. And it´s the posters who make this forum great. Each and single one of them. We all bring something to the table.
dimaggio wrote:

I

It´s true that Robert´s brother was a cop, or atleast some sort of LE agent. That may be the reason why the Genoveses rejected him. Anastasia however, was willing to bring him in. He was definitely a made Gambino, identified as a captain by multiple sources. Thanks for the link and welcome aboard DiMaggio.
Louie DeFilippoo?
Found this online and copied it, looks like that guy.

Louis Michael De Filippo, also known as Luigie Di Filippo, Louis De Fillippo, Louis Michael De Fillippo

De Filippo who was born on January 15, 1922, has FBI # 3558839 and resides at 5413 19th Avenue, Brooklyn, New York. He has been identified by confidential source 4 as a member of the Carlo Gambino "family" under Carmine Lombardozzi.

De Filippo has a record dating back from 1943 which includes arrests for robbery, mail fraud, conspiracy to violate the income tax laws, extortion and gambling. He was released from prison on November 18, 1964.

De Filippo has been active for many years as a shylock under Carmine Lombardozzi and has been engaged principally in shylocking, connected with the securities field as will be explained in more detail under Section VII.

De Filippo was arrested on November 1, 1960 and convicted in New York County along with [redacted] for extortion and conspiracy in connection with shylocking rackets operating in the New York City Garment Center. He was sentenced on September 19, 1962 to serve one to two years in state prison.
LcnBios
Straightened out

Post by LcnBios »

The info about Louis DeFilippo being involved in the attempted Dellacroce hit is from 1963/1964 FBI reports. They've been available for a couple of years now. I'm sure a guy like bronx hasn't seen them, he's just passing along what he hears from old timers on the street. Same with his post in the Failla/Gennaro thread about the DiBellas and Eduardo being under Carmine Lombardozzi. That also turns up in an FBI report from a few months earlier, and coincidentally the FBI CI couldn't remember Eduardo's last name either. Again though, I'm not saying bronx got his info from this or a similar report. He's a street guy that doesn't do research. Except for that one time he posted about looking up old immigration files. Aside from that it's all direct from the street.

If anyone's interested, others involved in the attempt on Dellacroce included Michael Scandifia (he and DeFilippo were the assigned shooters), Peter Tortorella (driver) and Salvatore Aurello (to point the victim out). Dellacroce was able to escape and reach out to the right people and get the hit called off.
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

JD wrote:The info about Louis DeFilippo being involved in the attempted Dellacroce hit is from 1963/1964 FBI reports. They've been available for a couple of years now. I'm sure a guy like bronx hasn't seen them, he's just passing along what he hears from old timers on the street. Same with his post in the Failla/Gennaro thread about the DiBellas and Eduardo being under Carmine Lombardozzi. That also turns up in an FBI report from a few months earlier, and coincidentally the FBI CI couldn't remember Eduardo's last name either. Again though, I'm not saying bronx got his info from this or a similar report. He's a street guy that doesn't do research. Except for that one time he posted about looking up old immigration files. Aside from that it's all direct from the street.

If anyone's interested, others involved in the attempt on Dellacroce included Michael Scandifia (he and DeFilippo were the assigned shooters), Peter Tortorella (driver) and Salvatore Aurello (to point the victim out). Dellacroce was able to escape and reach out to the right people and get the hit called off.
Who in the world would order a hit like that and why?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Antiliar wrote:
I'm not saying this is correct, but to me the name most similar to Dannaro is Rosario "Charles" Dongarro. Just sayin'.
For sure. And Dongarro would fit the limited information we have, except "Dannarao" was said to be dead by the time of this recording and I believe Dongarro was alive until the 1970s. Looking back at the transcript, I may have overthought some of the details surrounding "Dannarao", though -- a deceased Gambino capodecina who was part of a faction of 10 to 12 other capodecinas and he ordered the killing of "his" underboss and had to answer to the Commission. I couldn't find anything about "Dannarao" being murdered for any of this, which I had assumed, only that he's dead.

To go back to a couple of other random names in the transcript:

"Carlo Livorzi"
- Could be Buffalo member Carl/Carlo Alessi. Don't know anything about him and "Livorzi" is only mentioned as someone that Sciacca/"Loffa" ran into on their way to visit Magaddino.

"Pineddu Stafford"
- Could be Giuseppe Stabile, an early Bonanno member who was arrested with Joe Bonanno for firearm possession and later murdered in the 1940s. Magaddino's reference to "Stafford" describes him as deceased and uses him as an example when discussing whether Joe Bonanno should "remove" Joe Asaro for his infractions. It sounds like Bonanno may have consulted with Magaddino about the fate of "Stafford", much like he was doing with Joe Asaro. This story bleeds into the story about Giovanni Bonventre being sent somewhere by Bonanno and using a hunting rifle, which also seems to relate to a dispute between Bonventre and Gaspare DiGregorio -- maybe Bonventre killed "Stafford"?
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

JD wrote:
AlexfromSouth wrote: Who in the world would order a hit like that and why?
There are conflicting motives given. The report from May 1963 says it was because 'the Gambino people' suspected Dellacroce of helping to kill Armand Rava.

This might be a case where the info was taken down wrong, because in the same paragraph the CI talks about Dellacroce and Rava killing John Robilotto together.

Later reports describe the incident as a further attempt to clean out the former Anastasia/Rava supporters. This motive has a good deal of support from other sources, most seem to agree Rava and Dellacroce were close at the time.

Rava's death itself is interesting. We have the roadside account where he's shot to death (available on MF site), and another from December 1962 that says he was murdered inside a funeral parlor in Florida by Thomas Altamura and Joseph Indelicato. This source (pretty sure it's Alfred Santantonio) claims they wrapped him up in a body bag, stabbed him with an ice pick and dumped it in the everglades.

Unfortunately the FBI's files on Rava might have been lost, I'm sure there would more available there to maybe help clear things up.
Agreed. It's not clear to me and there is no reason that "the Gambino group" would try to kill Dellacroce because HE helped to kill Rava. If that was the case, it would mean that Dellacroce gave up Rava and sided with the the Gambino group against the Anastasia faction, wich is no reason why those guys would have him killed. Hope you understand what I mean?

Ps. As longer I read about those guys and the mob, the more I think it really happened (Neil helping kill Rava).
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

JD wrote: Rava's death itself is interesting. We have the roadside account where he's shot to death (available on MF site), and another from December 1962 that says he was murdered inside a funeral parlor in Florida by Thomas Altamura and Joseph Indelicato. This source (pretty sure it's Alfred Santantonio) claims they wrapped him up in a body bag, stabbed him with an ice pick and dumped it in the everglades.
Interesting that both reports are so specific/detailed but so different. The one involving Avarello sounds very dramatic, with Rava challenging his killers and withstanding bullets before being beaten to death. Both place his death in Florida with his body not being publicly found, so that much is consistent.

As for Dellacroce and Rava's relationship, I know it's been believed that Dellacroce took over Rava's crew, but is there anything to back that up? It's also been said that Armond Dellacroce was named for Armando Rava, which seems likely/possible.
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

I know it's been said that Rava's and Rava himself were loyal to Anastasia but in that same crew you can find guys who pop up as pro-Gambino latter on like Ferrara, failla, Vincent De Cicco, Aurello, etc. So the age old claim that Neil's crew from when he took over in 1957 is questionable to say the least. Dellacroce was promoted to capo than to Underboss, to me it looks like Carli Gambino was very greatfull for something. Could it be because of him giving up Rava and in a sense Anastasia, we will never know.

in my opinion if Dellacroce was sicilan he would a had a much bigger chance of being boss after Carlo.