Opinion/Discussion: DeCavalcante Present Day

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Opinion/Discussion: DeCavalcante Present Day

Post by B. »

The low member-associate ratio is similar to what we see in Sicily. Could be a coincidence but could also be a byproduct of the DeCavalcantes' strong Sicilian ties. A Sicilian mafia expert talked about how in some Sicilian mafia families there were even fewer associates than members... I wonder though if he meant proposed members or "on record" associates... seems every Sicilian cosca would have countless civillians associated with mafia activities, but maybe in Sicily they put fewer people "on record" in the same way they do in the US.

Historically too many DeCavalcante members in Elizabeth were just union laborers and contractors, not "organized crime" figures with rackets and crews. No doubt that's a factor. They also tended to recruit members more along traditional Sicilian lines and didn't rely on a large "pool."
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Just for interest in 1988 they were listed at 50 members and 80 associates.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
nmj1199
Associate

Post by nmj1199 »

Joe Gatto, inactive soldier passed away a few months ago. He was a foreman at local 394 played cards at the Ribera club.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Great find. This is his obituary.

https://www.chubenkofh.com/obituary/francesco-gatto
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Can anyone confirm if Joseph Miranda, Joseph Giacobbe and Paolo Farina are dead? They would be closing in on 100 if they are still alive.

Pogo
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Farina was still alive in August 2016. There was an article in the Peterstown paper about him turning 90. From the article he seemed to be in good shape for his age. Haven't seen anything since.
nmj1199
Associate

Post by nmj1199 »

Pogo The Clown wrote:Great find. This is his obituary.

I always knew him as Joe, lol they used to use so many different 1st names his son is a good friend of mine. His father wasn't active as far as I was aware and held great respect in the family and community. Everyone who knew him said he was a great guy.

stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:34 pm Great find. This is his obituary.

From the article:
”He was a member of the Ribera Club in Elizabeth and was a man of great respect and honor within his community and among friends.”
stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

nmj1199 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:26 am
Pogo The Clown wrote:Great find. This is his obituary.

I always knew him as Joe, lol they used to use so many different 1st names his son is a good friend of mine. His father wasn't active as far as I was aware and held great respect in the family and community. Everyone who knew him said he was a great guy.

Sorry for your loss
joerock
Straightened out

Post by joerock »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:14 pm Can anyone confirm if Joseph Miranda, Joseph Giacobbe and Paolo Farina are dead? They would be closing in on 100 if they are still alive.

Pogo
I’d like to know the same thing there ain’t much info about Joseph Miranda other then he was at one time the underboss
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Not much is known about him. His name is mentioned once in the Plumber Tapes. By the fall of 1999 he was a member in the Schiro-Goacobbe Crew. Capeci reported that he was a loanshark. Capeci also reported Miranda had been complaining for years about never being promoted to Capo before being promoted to Acting Boss and UnderBoss following the big indictments. I always got a chuckle out of that. Could have been something right out of the Sopranos. An old bitter Soldier constantly complaining about how he is never promoted and then finally when he is in his 80s he is named Acting Boss after everyone else is locked up. If the Sorpanos would have continued you could have put Patsy Parisi in that role (although he wasn't as old).

Pogo
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:03 am Not much is known about him. His name is mentioned once in the Plumber Tapes. By the fall of 1999 he was a member in the Schiro-Goacobbe Crew. Capeci reported that he was a loanshark. Capeci also reported Miranda had been complaining for years about never being promoted to Capo before being promoted to Acting Boss and UnderBoss following the big indictments. I always got a chuckle out of that. Could have been something right out of the Sopranos. An old bitter Soldier constantly complaining about how he is never promoted and then finally when he is in his 80s he is named Acting Boss after everyone else is locked up. If the Sorpanos would have continued you could have put Patsy Parisi in that role (although he wasn't as old).

Pogo
He feels marginalized.
All roads lead to New York.
NJShore4Life
Full Patched

Post by NJShore4Life »

Miranda also owns/owned a bar in the City in Manhattan on 1st Ave on the East Side.

-Dante
Dave65827
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dave65827 »

I Wonder how recruitment is for the DeCavs. Like the families like Philly and Bonnanos have recruited a fuckton of guys comparing to say 20 yrs ago when they where like on the brink.

I also imagined all the young guys looking to join OC look for the 5 families and not the Pygmy family. Wonder how they look for guys or maybe they just want to tone it down like some of the historical families and just ride into the sunset
joerock
Straightened out

Post by joerock »

NJShore4Life wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:16 pm Miranda also owns/owned a bar in the City in Manhattan on 1st Ave on the East Side.

-Dante
I can’t imagine he owns it now at his age but that’s interesting for sure name of bar?