Genovese Family Administration

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Frank
Full Patched

Re: Genovese Family Administration

Post by Frank »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:41 pm I found the source on Mario Gigante being acting underboss to acting boss Danny Leo. It was John Bologna, the informant who reported it.

"Bologna continued to feed the FBI about new bosses and underbosses in the Gambino and Genovese crime families, plus a shady group of "Albanians" in 2005 and 2006. Danny Leo became the new Genovese boss in 2006, according to Bologna, with Mario Gigante as his acting underboss."

Scroll appr 2/3 down:

http://www.fivefamiliesnyc.com/2017/06/ ... eased.html
Did Bologna say that Leo was Official Boss. He said Mario Gigante was acting underboss, but said Leo was the new Boss.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Frank wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 11:19 pm
Did Bologna say that Leo was Official Boss. He said Mario Gigante was acting underboss, but said Leo was the new Boss.
At the time there were reports Leo became official and Mario was acting as underboss until Bellomo is out on the streets. In 2007 Leo got pinched and the feds identified him as former acting boss.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

eboli wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:15 am
At the time there were reports Leo became official and Mario was acting as underboss until Bellomo is out on the streets. In 2007 Leo got pinched and the feds identified him as former acting boss.
Yes I remember Leo was said to be acting boss, but I couldn't help but notice that Bologna said Mario was acting underboss and that Leo was the new boss. Maybe Bologna worded it wrong. Well anyways it's interesting to know that it looks like Mario was the acting underboss, something I didn't know. Also the article about the buged table and cell phone indicated that Mario was acting boss at one time.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Frank wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:30 am Yes I remember Leo was said to be acting boss, but I couldn't help but notice that Bologna said Mario was acting underboss and that Leo was the new boss. Maybe Bologna worded it wrong. Well anyways it's interesting to know that it looks like Mario was the acting underboss, something I didn't know. Also the article about the buged table and cell phone indicated that Mario was acting boss at one time.
Yeah, he probably was acting boss more than once. After Dentico's indictment in 2005 Capeci reported Mario Gigante was acting. At the time all of the identified major players from the past couple of years were under indictment.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Unless it was some lazy writers using the word "boss" loosely later on, I think Leo was always known to be acting boss. Capeci was the first to identify Leo as acting boss (citing Fed sources) and he was indicted as such.
All roads lead to New York.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

eboli wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:04 am
Frank wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:30 am Yes I remember Leo was said to be acting boss, but I couldn't help but notice that Bologna said Mario was acting underboss and that Leo was the new boss. Maybe Bologna worded it wrong. Well anyways it's interesting to know that it looks like Mario was the acting underboss, something I didn't know. Also the article about the buged table and cell phone indicated that Mario was acting boss at one time.
Yeah, he probably was acting boss more than once. After Dentico's indictment in 2005 Capeci reported Mario Gigante was acting. At the time all of the identified major players from the past couple of years were under indictment.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Wiseguy wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:11 am
Unless it was some lazy writers using the word "boss" loosely later on, I think Leo was always known to be acting boss. Capeci was the first to identify Leo as acting boss (citing Fed sources) and he was indicted as such.
Just your regular internet bullshit and speculation. A few publications picked up on it and started reporting it as a fact and it got blown out of proportion. Capeci had a few articles about it before Leo's indictment.

https://www.nysun.com/new-york/meet-the ... oss/44363/
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Dentico was indicted with Cirillo. Is Cirillo still thought to have been acting boss at that time?? With it now looks like Mario becoming acting boss with Cirillo off the streets.or Mario could have become acting boss after Iannello was indicted a few months later. If in fact Iannello was acting boss. So Mario went from acting boss to acting Underboss??
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

eboli wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:28 pm [
Just your regular internet bullshit and speculation. A few publications picked up on it and started reporting it as a fact and it got blown out of proportion. Capeci had a few articles about it before Leo's indictment.

Yeah that was the article. I'm not sure Leo's name ever even came up on the forums before that.
Frank wrote:Dentico was indicted with Cirillo. Is Cirillo still thought to have been acting boss at that time?? With it now looks like Mario becoming acting boss with Cirillo off the streets.or Mario could have become acting boss after Iannello was indicted a few months later. If in fact Iannello was acting boss. So Mario went from acting boss to acting Underboss??
If you're referring to the 2005 indictment, yes, Cirillo was acting boss at the time.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Frank wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:34 pm Dentico was indicted with Cirillo. Is Cirillo still thought to have been acting boss at that time?? With it now looks like Mario becoming acting boss with Cirillo off the streets.or Mario could have become acting boss after Iannello was indicted a few months later. If in fact Iannello was acting boss. So Mario went from acting boss to acting Underboss??
Cirillo was acting boss at the time of his indictment. Mario was identified by Capeci as acting boss after Ianiello's indictment. Ianiello was identified as "an acting boss". If Mario was indeed acting underboss it would've been after Leo became acting boss, but I was never able to find any credible sources that identify Mario as anything other than acting boss or member of committee/panel throughout the years after his release from prison in 2001.

Wiseguy wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:37 pm

Yeah that was the article. I'm not sure Leo's name ever even came up on the forums before that.
One other place I've seen him mentioned as boss was in Understanding Organized Crime by Stephen Mallory. In it he writes:
Genovese boss Daniel ("The Lion") Leo was given an additional 18 months after pleading guilty to RICO, loan sharking, and illegal gambling charges. He became the boss of the Genovese family in 2005. He was ordered to forfeit $1.3 million from the family's illegal gambling operation (McCain, 2010).
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

eboli wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:52 pm
Frank wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:34 pm Dentico was indicted with Cirillo. Is Cirillo still thought to have been acting boss at that time?? With it now looks like Mario becoming acting boss with Cirillo off the streets.or Mario could have become acting boss after Iannello was indicted a few months later. If in fact Iannello was acting boss. So Mario went from acting boss to acting Underboss??
Cirillo was acting boss at the time of his indictment. Mario was identified by Capeci as acting boss after Ianiello's indictment. Ianiello was identified as "an acting boss". If Mario was indeed acting underboss it would've been after Leo became acting boss, but I was never able to find any credible sources that identify Mario as anything other than acting boss or member of committee/panel throughout the years after his release from prison in 2001.

Wiseguy wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:37 pm

One other place I've seen him mentioned as boss was in Understanding Organized Crime by Stephen Mallory. In it he writes:
Genovese boss Daniel ("The Lion") Leo was given an additional 18 months after pleading guilty to RICO, loan sharking, and illegal gambling charges. He became the boss of the Genovese family in 2005. He was ordered to forfeit $1.3 million from the family's illegal gambling operation (McCain, 2010).
Yeah, if you read that Capeci article, while the headline is a little misleading (and Capeci understands the distinction), its said in the article itself that the feds had him as acting boss.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Yes I've seen Leo listed as acting boss as early as 2005 and some say 2006.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Frank wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:58 pm Yes I've seen Leo listed as acting boss as early as 2005 and some say 2006.
That's interesting because in april 05 they had Quiet Dom as acting boss:

https://www.justice.gov/archive/usao/ny ... apr05.html

And later the fbi had Leo as acting boss as early as the beginning of 2005:

https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/newyo ... 12710a.htm

Either they formulated that poorly or he was Cirillo's successor.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

eboli wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:14 pm
Frank wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:58 pm Yes I've seen Leo listed as acting boss as early as 2005 and some say 2006.
That's interesting because in april 05 they had Quiet Dom as acting boss:

https://www.justice.gov/archive/usao/ny ... apr05.html

And later the fbi had Leo as acting boss as early as the beginning of 2005:

https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/newyo ... 12710a.htm

Either they formulated that poorly or he was Cirillo's successor.
Yes it goes all over the place. Is Bologna stating that Mario Gigante was acting underboss under Leo accurate?? Also Bologna leaving the word acting out when describing Leo, does that mean something. With Leo being described as Cirillo succeessor in one article. What then happens to the Mario Gigante or Matty Iannello time line as reported acting boss. Obviously some of the information is wrong
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

With a guy like Mario Gigante, being the boss's brother, and a panel member, and this is pure speculation,but maybe he was acting boss till the Chin decided on who the new acting boss would be. So in other words he had multiple brief terms as acting boss. Kind of like with the acting boss indicted and jailed who do we report too. Well I assume it would always be Mario. Just a thought.