Mob Talk - 1/25/16

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

TommyGambino
Full Patched

Re: Mob Talk - 1/25/16

Post by TommyGambino »

I don't really see what points toward merlino being smart tbh, fair play to him the firends he grew up with are loyal to him and he's clearly charismatic but the guy gives interviews, is on Instagram, allows made guys to hang out with rats, spent 12 of the 16 years as boss behind bars, the other 4 in Florida. I don't see it.
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

Pete wrote:
TommyGambino wrote:
Chucky wrote:
TommyGambino wrote:
Chucky wrote:
TommyGambino wrote:
Pete wrote:
TommyGambino wrote:Merlino doesn't sound like a smart guy at all, sounds very lucky to me.
Say what you want about merlino but he's been boss of a family for close to 20 years and he's never been caught on a wire saying anything very incriminating, never been convicted of the numerous hits he's been involved in, and he's not doing life. His guys are loyal to him which is the main reason he's not doing life. Must be doing something right most guys don't make it 5 years. Of course luck plays a role though
Put him as the boss of any other family and he'd fail miserably.
That's an irrelevant argument that doesn't hold water, try again.
Is it? Merlino and his crew are more like a street gang then CN. He wouldn't have got far in NY with his attitude.
Look at my response to Sonny for the NY argument, Joey wouldn't have been what he was if he was a Brooklyn or Bronx guy because the climate of things in NY are different, so there's no comparison worth anyone's time.

Joey's father was the underboss and his uncle was a skipper, his friends outside of Mazzone are the sons, nephews or brothers of other made guys, he's been around and close with made guys all his life. You can say he's "more like a gang leader then CN", but fact is he's been a made guy for roughly 25 years and outside of the Sodano bullshit, which he was in the right, NY/NJ never had a problem with him as boss. Look at all the bosses from the 80s and 90s, how many are still on the street? Just him, and it's not by accident.
So he wouldn't have bet into his friends books or not pay bookies if he was from NY? Sounds like Merlino would have grown up to be a piece of shit, no matter where he's from.

merlino's spent what, 4 years free since being made boss 16 years ago? and got indicted the same year he was made boss.

New York's interest certainly isn't what it was when it comes to Philly.

He allows top members to hang around with KNOWN rats, like i said he comes across more a gang leader then CN boss.
From what I understand he didn't bet into his friends and not pay. Him and his friends bet into guys like previte who weren't even made guys and didn't pay. Guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree though
An article said he bet into Johnny Changs book and didn't pay, some other made member as well i forget, someone posted it on bb not too long back. Couldn;t believe it.
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

B. wrote:Montreal, Philadelphia... why do these topics all get polluted with nonsense and bullshit? Some of you need to dial it back.

Huge 10 page topics like this should have page after page of interesting discussion and new info, not "what would Merlino be like if he came up in NYC" and "does he seem more like a gang leader or a mob boss?" Listen to yourselves.
A few people said Merlino is smart, I can't debate that with them? Threads always go slightly off track, that's how they keep going.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

TommyGambino wrote:
B. wrote:Montreal, Philadelphia... why do these topics all get polluted with nonsense and bullshit? Some of you need to dial it back.

Huge 10 page topics like this should have page after page of interesting discussion and new info, not "what would Merlino be like if he came up in NYC" and "does he seem more like a gang leader or a mob boss?" Listen to yourselves.
A few people said Merlino is smart, I can't debate that with them? Threads always go slightly off track, that's how they keep going.
The quality of this discussion is fucking garbage and below this board.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

TommyGambino wrote:

Seems like a legit debate to me. Maybe someone should make a list of approved topics so we don't get off track??? :roll:
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

How would Angelo Bruno's reign have been different if he was born in a manger in Bethlehem, PA?

Kind of reminds me of another question that a lot of people in South Philly are asking themselves right now:

If Joey Merlino is so smart, how come he hasn't cured cancer and AIDS?
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

B. wrote:
TommyGambino wrote:

The quality of this discussion is fucking garbage and below this board.
You set the bar do you?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Just re-read Chucky's responses, don't make it about me. I'm out of this one.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

B. wrote:If Joey Merlino is so smart, how come he hasn't cured cancer and AIDS?
Because he probably has stocks of company's that made the current medicines that don't cure it. :twisted:
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

B. wrote:Just re-read Chucky's responses, don't make it about me. I'm out of this one.
Take a shot then try to put it on chucky :lol: :lol: :lol: grow a pair
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Chucky
Full Patched

Post by Chucky »

Pete wrote:
B. wrote:Just re-read Chucky's responses, don't make it about me. I'm out of this one.
Take a shot then try to put it on chucky :lol: :lol: :lol: grow a pair
He's telling him to re-read what I wrote, maybe if he does he'll have a fucking clue. B's a solid guy, he's not putting anything on me.
Just smile and blow me - Mel Gibson
Chucky
Full Patched

Post by Chucky »

TommyGambino wrote:So he wouldn't have bet into his friends books or not pay bookies if he was from NY? Sounds like Merlino would have grown up to be a piece of shit, no matter where he's from.

merlino's spent what, 4 years free since being made boss 16 years ago? and got indicted the same year he was made boss.

New York's interest certainly isn't what it was when it comes to Philly.

He allows top members to hang around with KNOWN rats, like i said he comes across more a gang leader then CN boss.
Merlino was boss before he had the title, there's a reason the Genovese called for him after the Sodano hit went down and not Natale, the feds and NY knew who was running the show, it wasn't rocket science. He's been the top dog since Stanfa got locked up.

NY interest isn't what it was, true. That said, the Gambinos sent quite a few top guys to meet with Ligambi & Staino, and there were a bunch of NY guys at Staino & Esposito's weddings. There's still a fairly strong relationship with the Gambinos & Colombos.

He bet into independents who balked at the street tax, it either put them out of business or got them in line, there was too much heat on all of them to start clipping books, that was their alternative and it worked.

As for the hanging with rats thing, I'm guessing your referring to Johnny Chang's buddy? He was never a player and hung on the fringes....at best. It's not like he's hanging around with Tommy Scafidi. Fuck, Joe Sr and Joe Jr are friends with Virgil, he's a family friend, this is a horseshit example.
Chucky
Full Patched

Post by Chucky »

And he never bet in John Chang's book, that is complete horseshit.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

I think B's response is over the top.

The tangent in conversation was good natured and has somewhat of a point. Merlinos 'quality' as a gangster. Would his skill set be transferable or was it more his environment which allowed him to prosper.

Sometimes I think the 'ruling clique' here need to develop a little patience in exercing latitude when it comes to material slightly not to their specific tastes.

As in, can we all get over oursleves a little.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

SonnyBlackstein wrote:I think B's response is over the top.

The tangent in conversation was good natured and has somewhat of a point. Merlinos 'quality' as a gangster. Would his skill set be transferable or was it more his environment which allowed him to prosper.

Sometimes I think the 'ruling clique' here need to develop a little patience in exercing latitude when it comes to material slightly not to their specific tastes.

As in, can we all get over oursleves a little.
Right on the money. As long as we're on topic and civil there's no need for people jumping in. Especially when their only thing to add is that they don't like what we're discussing. If you don't like it stay in the other threads. Pretty simple