General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: The Commission

Post by Wiseguy »

B. wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:07 pm Massino claimed that the official Commission no longer existed after the Commission Case in the mid-1980s. However, many sources, including mobsters, have used the term informally since then to refer to the leaders of the NYC families, especially when they meet to discuss policy, etc. We have heard of new policies and city-wide mafia rulings through the 1990s, which would have to have been discussed among the leadership of the different groups. Examples would be the ban on murders in the 1990s and the "plus two" induction rule where each family could add two members per year without replacing a deceased member.

In the case you're referring to, it seems that it simply means leaders of NYC families were made aware of the promotion and gave their approval.
Apparently Massino felt the guys caught up in the Commission case made up the last legitimate Commission. Maybe because it was all 5 official bosses?
All roads lead to New York.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Ironically Joe Bonanno said the same thing about the Commission no longer existing past the early 1960s.

Did Gravano refer to the Gambino-Genovese-Lucchese meeting in 1988 as a Commission meeting? I don't remember. I do remember him saying how they discussed seating Vic Orena at the next meeting (which never happened) so it sounds like he was refering to a Commission meeting but I don't remember if he used the word Commission or not.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

According to Scarpa, Vincent Gigante refused to meet with or even recognize any ruling panels being used by two or three of the families (not sure who all had something like that in place), which is why the Colombos established Orena as acting boss with a full acting administration. It may have contributed to the Luccheses electing Amuso, too, as having an official boss on the street gave them more power. Later Gigante extended this even to acting leaders, which is why the 1988 meeting only had families with official administrations. The Bonannos of course had lost their standing all around at the time, too. Not sure what language Gravano used offhand.

Gigante's "rule" would have been new post-Commission Case, though, because we know that Commission meetings didn't always include the official boss, with Tony Salerno representing Gigante and Gerry Lang representing Persico. There are reports of John Morale representing Joe Bonanno at at least one Commission meeting as far back, I believe, as the 1950s, when Joe Bonanno was in Tucson.

One of Joe Bonanno's complaints was that the Commission was supposed to meet every 5 years to vote to decide to keep the Commission in place and he claimed they either missed this meeting and/or didn't vote on it, therefore the Commission was invalid by the time he had his problems with them. This 5 year vote rule has been mentioned by other sources, including Magaddino, so it was definitely real and I'm pretty sure Magaddino or another source confirmed what Bonanno said about the vote not being cast.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

B. wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:44 pm According to Scarpa, Vincent Gigante refused to meet with or even recognize any ruling panels being used by two or three of the families (not sure who all had something like that in place),

The Gambinos, Colombos and Bonannos had ruling panels during that 1986-88 period.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:49 pm
B. wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:44 pm According to Scarpa, Vincent Gigante refused to meet with or even recognize any ruling panels being used by two or three of the families (not sure who all had something like that in place),

The Gambinos, Colombos and Bonannos had ruling panels during that 1986-88 period.

Pogo
Yep, that's who Scarpa specifically referred to.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

scarpa said gambino's had a panel? they had complete admin..funny about chin and that position he took...he had guys up front from the day he took over ,
Heathen
Straightened out

Post by Heathen »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:15 pm

Did Gravano refer to the Gambino-Genovese-Lucchese meeting in 1988 as a Commission meeting? I don't remember. I do remember him saying how they discussed seating Vic Orena at the next meeting (which never happened) so it sounds like he was refering to a Commission meeting but I don't remember if he used the word Commission or not.

Pogo
Gravano refered to it as his first and only commission meeting.
Heathen
Straightened out

Post by Heathen »

Also in D'Arco's book he talks about Casso and Amuso meeting him at his hamburger stand, and Amuso hinting he was going to a meeting and made a c with his finger. Don't know how much we trust D'Arco word though.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

bronx wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:16 pm scarpa said gambino's had a panel? they had complete admin..funny about chin and that position he took...he had guys up front from the day he took over ,
Believe it was when Gotti was being held on the assault charge without bail and hadn't selected a replacement for Frank DeCicco yet so he had the panel of Joe Armone, Sammy Gravano and Angelo Ruggiero on the street for a brief period
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

chin, you are correct ,sam was put on not long after frank maybe a month or so,joe gallo was also on the street still,they killed paul dec, frank was dead april, sam was in place i believe when deebee was killed not sure of that date .if so one knows thats about how long..but i stand corrected Chin
Mason_dixon
Straightened out

Post by Mason_dixon »

Hey I just watched the new special on the Gottis on A and E. Do any of you have an opinion on if Jr is still having anything to do with the Gambino? It always blew my mind how well the all live on all that dirty in taxed money and how he government hasn’t jumped on tax evasion charges on all those families obviously still living well?
SILENT PARTNERZ
Full Patched

Post by SILENT PARTNERZ »

Mason_dixon wrote:Hey I just watched the new special on the Gottis on A and E. Do any of you have an opinion on if Jr is still having anything to do with the Gambino? It always blew my mind how well the all live on all that dirty in taxed money and how he government hasn’t jumped on tax evasion charges on all those families obviously still living well?
Junior is not active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'three can keep a secret, if two are dead'
slimshady_007
Full Patched

Post by slimshady_007 »

Anyone know who the members of mike sarno’s are? (Cicero)
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

slimshady_007 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:15 pm Anyone know who the members of mike sarno’s are? (Cicero)
The crew he had when on the streets?
slimshady_007
Full Patched

Post by slimshady_007 »

Frank wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:05 pm
slimshady_007 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:15 pm Anyone know who the members of mike sarno’s are? (Cicero)
The crew he had when on the streets?
Past and present members
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.