General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

eboli
Full Patched

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by eboli »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:04 pm
eboli wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:38 am
00bo wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:29 pm I've heard a lot about the mafia involved in boxing, exactly what did they do?
They fixed a lot of fights and made a lot of money. There were made members acting as boxing managers to fighters like Rocky Castellani. Even top guys like Marciano, Graziano, LaMotta had some involvement with organized crime.
I thought lamotta wouldnt work w em and thstz why they had problems. According to Raging Bull at least.
LaMotta was known for throwing fights. The most well-known one was against Billy Fox in 1947. Fox's manager was Frank Palermo who had ties with Lucchese and Genovese. He was a business partner with Frankie Carbo. Palermo and Carbo later "managed" Sonny Liston. They got him from John Vitale from St. Louis as a form of repayment of old debts. Vitale was heavily involved in fixing fights too.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

eboli wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:02 am
JeremyTheJew wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:04 pm
eboli wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:38 am
00bo wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:29 pm I've heard a lot about the mafia involved in boxing, exactly what did they do?
They fixed a lot of fights and made a lot of money. There were made members acting as boxing managers to fighters like Rocky Castellani. Even top guys like Marciano, Graziano, LaMotta had some involvement with organized crime.
I thought lamotta wouldnt work w em and thstz why they had problems. According to Raging Bull at least.
LaMotta was known for throwing fights. The most well-known one was against Billy Fox in 1947. Fox's manager was Frank Palermo who had ties with Lucchese and Genovese. He was a business partner with Frankie Carbo. Palermo and Carbo later "managed" Sonny Liston. They got him from John Vitale from St. Louis as a form of repayment of old debts. Vitale was heavily involved in fixing fights too.
I think that fight was portrayed in the movie. Where he was yelling at hin to punch him.

So LaMotta really did take the falls. I did not know that.
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

I've always wondered, what do made members call their Families/other Families? Do they use the name the feds/the media gave them(Bonanno's/Colombo's etc)? I've been reading about Joey Massino, and supposedly he wanted to change the name from the Bonanno Family to the Massino Family, but that obviously never caught on.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

thekiduknow wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:18 am I've always wondered, what do made members call their Families/other Families? Do they use the name the feds/the media gave them(Bonanno's/Colombo's etc)? I've been reading about Joey Massino, and supposedly he wanted to change the name from the Bonanno Family to the Massino Family, but that obviously never caught on.
Good question. I believe it might of been Lino that said he wasnt sure he was a Bonanno untill years after association
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:19 pm
thekiduknow wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:18 am I've always wondered, what do made members call their Families/other Families? Do they use the name the feds/the media gave them(Bonanno's/Colombo's etc)? I've been reading about Joey Massino, and supposedly he wanted to change the name from the Bonanno Family to the Massino Family, but that obviously never caught on.
Good question. I believe it might of been Lino that said he wasnt sure he was a Bonanno untill years after association
Oh wow, that's interesting. He would have to know by the time/when he was made right? It would make sense to keep associates in the dark about who they are working for.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

They either use the media name or they use the name of the current boss.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Don't know why a low-key guy like Massino would want to rename the Bonannos after himself. Seems counterproductive, unless it was, as Pogo pointed out, guys referring to the group based on the then-boss.
There's a group of either trolls or idiots who pop up every now and again saying that the Gambinos and Genoveses have been renamed as the Amato family and some other bullshit. Don't know where the fuck they pull that out of but they can stick it back wherever they found it.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

I read that it was after Joe Bonanno released his book, and Massino wanted to distance the family from him in the aftermath. But you're right, for a guy who wouldn't even let his guys say his name it seems odd that he would change the Family name, however that would work.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Did tony soprano die??
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by UTC »

thekiduknow wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:00 pm I read that it was after Joe Bonanno released his book, and Massino wanted to distance the family from him in the aftermath. But you're right, for a guy who wouldn't even let his guys say his name it seems odd that he would change the Family name, however that would work.
Ego above all else.
Mvguy818
Associate

Post by Mvguy818 »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:01 pm Did tony soprano die??
No he is in WITSEC and owns car wash in San Francisco
FriendofFamily
Full Patched

Post by FriendofFamily »

I can't imagine the Gambino Family being named anything else. Too Much Prestige to wash that away for some name change.
Know which Game to Play
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Mvguy818 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:50 pm
JeremyTheJew wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:01 pm Did tony soprano die??
No he is in WITSEC and owns car wash in San Francisco
Some ppl actually believed he was gonna flip
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

Does anybody have the transcripts to the Stefanelli tapes?
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

gohnjotti wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:04 pm Does anybody have the transcripts to the Stefanelli tapes?
https://pastebin.com/2eYWJ87s