Mob Talk Sitdown 23

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PHL_Mob
Straightened out

Re: Mob Talk Sitdown 23

Post by PHL_Mob »

Another company they’re in connected to Merlino and Petullo is Advanced Business Capital doing business as Triumph Business Capital. They basically give truckers a cash advance on their invoices... more capital intensive but high fee business. Another example of sketchy but legit business....
PHL_Mob
Straightened out

Post by PHL_Mob »

Here’s how the scam works for any of you who care

https://www.bbb.org/article/news-releas ... loan-scams
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Chris Christie wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:53 am2 If you look into the final days of LA, New Orleans or Pueblo, what you seen was something very similar: divesting in street crime, hanging onto some marginal rackets (book, gambling) while strongly refocusing on legitimate ventures, not to become captains of industry (although this did happen when you apply underworld muscle into legitimate business deails) but to rather eek out a living and leave something to the family (lower case f). KC is arguably the same: there isn't much of any crime family there, but juke boxes are controlled by alot of familiar surnames. Even Tampa seems to have gone this route.
You could add Detroit to that list.
All roads lead to New York.
scott22
Straightened out

Post by scott22 »

The Detroit Family has been fully diversified into white collar stuff since its inception. It isn't a new direction, alas Philly or other families of the past that were transitioning from straight street rackets as they faded away.

Scott
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

scott22 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:52 pm The Detroit Family has been fully diversified into white collar stuff since its inception. It isn't a new direction, alas Philly or other families of the past that were transitioning from straight street rackets as they faded away.

Scott
All Families had at least SOME diversification into White Collar stuff. I don't think Detroit was unique in that way. Detroit seemed to be a little more unique in having many relatives related by blood or marriage. Have no idea what shape they're in at this time but you never hear anything about them.
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
Hellboy 17
Associate

Post by Hellboy 17 »

Hear more about Chicago than Detroit. That tells me a lot
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

scott22 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:52 pm The Detroit Family has been fully diversified into white collar stuff since its inception. It isn't a new direction, alas Philly or other families of the past that were transitioning from straight street rackets as they faded away.

Scott
Well Detroit, for the last 20 years or so anyway, has largely reflected what Christie was describing - bookmaking and legitimate businesses. The most significant case post-GamTax was the 2006 bust, which was primarily a bookmaking case. In other words, you see the same factors in Detroit that you did in those other cities he listed, i.e. small and shrinking membership, basically down to gambling and legit interests, and indictments becoming more and more a thing of the past.
All roads lead to New York.
Nicholas
Straightened out

Post by Nicholas »

Chris Christie wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:29 am The guys who killed Big Mac McKenna made a movie about it called Taking Over and it was used in their trial as evidence against them.
Holy shit, what a story about this Big Mac character. From LA to boot!
SILENT PARTNERZ
Full Patched

Post by SILENT PARTNERZ »

Scott
Scott is correct on this point:
Detroit Parntership Business Chart.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'three can keep a secret, if two are dead'
Bricktop
Associate

Post by Bricktop »

Cool chart!
moneyman
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by moneyman »

Chris Christie wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:53 am
Merlino attempted to legitimize himself. When he came out, I was highly skeptical he was 'the boss' because I was aware from my contacts that he was feeling out the interests of a book or film deal, both of which went nowhere.
What sort of book or film was Merlino pitching? Any sort of autobiographical book or film would have implicated him in previous crimes no?
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

Chris Christie wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:29 am
Stroccos wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:01 amMerlino was telling everyone he didn’t want to do anything illegal , IMO just a ploy in case someone was recording . yet he was collecting money from the medical scam through advertising company .
melrino proposed three guys from prison , Ligambi didn’t want to make those guys because he didn’t know them .
Those guys may of been made when Marty Angelia got of prison
1 He could have been using a ploy or he could have been serious. There's enough pointers to argue either way.
2 From someone who used to work in "that business" and could have been charged with "criminally receiving" despite my belief at the time that it was strictly legitimate, the medical insurance industry, especially in Florida, is not clear-cut black and white. I'm sure there were physicians "involved" who thought what they were doing was wholesomely legitimate. The nature of the business isn't "hey, let's do this illegal thing" but rather "here's a very good business opportunity, I'll send you over the details and if you're interested, our attorneys can meet and discuss the legal nuts and bolts." On the ground level, no one is liable, everyone is sold under the guise of legality and motivated by the fine profits.... then again, maybe he did know he was doing something illegal?
3 Yes, he proposed guys which indicates 100% that he is still affiliated/has involvement with the Phila. Family. However, it could be argued that if he was the final authority, he wouldn't have to propose anyone to Ligambi, he could just issue an order. I can't see Scarfo having to run proposed members by Piccolo for his say-so had a similar scenario occurred in 1989... I'm not arguing Merlino's innocence, I'm proposing the possibility that he was trying to step away from criminal ventures, that it wasn't as clear cut as "the boss is coming home."... I guess it depends on how you look at it: if you consider any and all interaction with "the criminal organization" then he's certainly a criminal, but if you view it as an "organization composed of criminals" then he's simply associating with Organizational people he's known who have criminal records.

Again, this can be argued either way and I'm not certain which is what, only that there's a thin case to be made that he didn't "hit the ground running" back into the moblife. The fact that he reached out to GA for a potential book deal and that he met with Fratto and Provenzano about a potential film kinda validates that. I mean I guess it's possible he was doing that to "throw off the feds" but I highly doubt it, law enforcement just doesn't work that way and could potentially damage him. The guys who killed Big Mac McKenna made a movie about it called Taking Over and it was used in their trial as evidence against them.

2. he cant be that stupid to not think it was 100 percent legit.
3.When ligambi was introuduced to the gambinos he was introduced as the acting boss , also according to Licata Merlino was calling the shots from prison . Ligambi didnt want to make those guys because he didn't know them very understandable in the 2000's , ( i mispoke earlier it was steve Mazzone not angelinia. who was they were wiating for him to get off supervised release to hold some more cermonies) But we cant compare the 1980's to current lcn , Merlino doesn't weield the power Scarfo had not even close. I don't what the deal he has with Ligambi is but Imo Joey is the boss or at least its his seat if he wants it,

I bet merlino wanted a ton of money for his story, sure if they give him a few million or what ever he do it , but when he failed he needed to feed his gambling addiction.
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Stroccos wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:58 am
Chris Christie wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:29 am
Stroccos wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:01 amMerlino was telling everyone he didn’t want to do anything illegal , IMO just a ploy in case someone was recording . yet he was collecting money from the medical scam through advertising company .
melrino proposed three guys from prison , Ligambi didn’t want to make those guys because he didn’t know them .
Those guys may of been made when Marty Angelia got of prison
1 He could have been using a ploy or he could have been serious. There's enough pointers to argue either way.
2 From someone who used to work in "that business" and could have been charged with "criminally receiving" despite my belief at the time that it was strictly legitimate, the medical insurance industry, especially in Florida, is not clear-cut black and white. I'm sure there were physicians "involved" who thought what they were doing was wholesomely legitimate. The nature of the business isn't "hey, let's do this illegal thing" but rather "here's a very good business opportunity, I'll send you over the details and if you're interested, our attorneys can meet and discuss the legal nuts and bolts." On the ground level, no one is liable, everyone is sold under the guise of legality and motivated by the fine profits.... then again, maybe he did know he was doing something illegal?
3 Yes, he proposed guys which indicates 100% that he is still affiliated/has involvement with the Phila. Family. However, it could be argued that if he was the final authority, he wouldn't have to propose anyone to Ligambi, he could just issue an order. I can't see Scarfo having to run proposed members by Piccolo for his say-so had a similar scenario occurred in 1989... I'm not arguing Merlino's innocence, I'm proposing the possibility that he was trying to step away from criminal ventures, that it wasn't as clear cut as "the boss is coming home."... I guess it depends on how you look at it: if you consider any and all interaction with "the criminal organization" then he's certainly a criminal, but if you view it as an "organization composed of criminals" then he's simply associating with Organizational people he's known who have criminal records.

Again, this can be argued either way and I'm not certain which is what, only that there's a thin case to be made that he didn't "hit the ground running" back into the moblife. The fact that he reached out to GA for a potential book deal and that he met with Fratto and Provenzano about a potential film kinda validates that. I mean I guess it's possible he was doing that to "throw off the feds" but I highly doubt it, law enforcement just doesn't work that way and could potentially damage him. The guys who killed Big Mac McKenna made a movie about it called Taking Over and it was used in their trial as evidence against them.

2. he cant be that stupid to not think it was 100 percent legit.
3.When ligambi was introuduced to the gambinos he was introduced as the acting boss , also according to Licata Merlino was calling the shots from prison . Ligambi didnt want to make those guys because he didn't know them very understandable in the 2000's , ( i mispoke earlier it was steve Mazzone not angelinia. who was they were wiating for him to get off supervised release to hold some more cermonies) But we cant compare the 1980's to current lcn , Merlino doesn't weield the power Scarfo had not even close. I don't what the deal he has with Ligambi is but Imo Joey is the boss or at least its his seat if he wants it,

I bet merlino wanted a ton of money for his story, sure if they give him a few million or what ever he do it , but when he failed he needed to feed his gambling addiction.
2. He may very might have been that stupid (or naive). I don't know what he was or wasn't thinking, but I've seen people alot more intelligent than him swallowed up in the bust a few years ago. These were medical attorneys and practicing MD's and some of them were genuinely shocked to their core that it turned out not to be legal. This entire insurance fraud involving shell companies and trans dermal creams wasn't an "East Coast LCN" operation. They got involved but it wasn't like they set the entire thing up. You have some very smart people (sharks) who came up in and around the medical industry, probably failed at becoming md's themselves so went the medical sales route, some of them have law degrees. They decide to make money so they look at ways to get around the law legally. Doctor's can't legally own a share in a drug company that their profiting from, but they can own a share in a company that "invests" for them into specific drug companies. And who can set that up? Others in the game then see that wielding results and get into it themselves. It's not as conspiratorial as it's implied. This is just one singular aspect. It's an entire racket like bootlegging and what I explained is the equivalent to growing yeast.

Now, I doubt he would probably could care about inquiring about the '5%' illegal part if he was told "Here's a thing, 95% legal!" But coming from someone who used to pull murders and armed robberies compared to medical fraud now, in his mind maybe he was doing everything legal, at least what he envisions it. Again, I don't know.

3 Everything you said is correct regarding what came out of those tapes. But... I don't agree enough to concede my suspicions but I lack the solid evidence to keep it from sounding like Mob Fantasy Football if I present it. Again, I wasn't saying you are wrong.
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

[/quote]

2. He may very might have been that stupid (or naive). I don't know what he was or wasn't thinking, but I've seen people alot more intelligent than him swallowed up in the bust a few years ago. These were medical attorneys and practicing MD's and some of them were genuinely shocked to their core that it turned out not to be legal. This entire insurance fraud involving shell companies and trans dermal creams wasn't an "East Coast LCN" operation. They got involved but it wasn't like they set the entire thing up. You have some very smart people (sharks) who came up in and around the medical industry, probably failed at becoming md's themselves so went the medical sales route, some of them have law degrees. They decide to make money so they look at ways to get around the law legally. Doctor's can't legally own a share in a drug company that their profiting from, but they can own a share in a company that "invests" for them into specific drug companies. And who can set that up? Others in the game then see that wielding results and get into it themselves. It's not as conspiratorial as it's implied. This is just one singular aspect. It's an entire racket like bootlegging and what I explained is the equivalent to growing yeast.

Now, I doubt he would probably could care about inquiring about the '5%' illegal part if he was told "Here's a thing, 95% legal!" But coming from someone who used to pull murders and armed robberies compared to medical fraud now, in his mind maybe he was doing everything legal, at least what he envisions it. Again, I don't know.

3 Everything you said is correct regarding what came out of those tapes. But... I don't agree enough to concede my suspicions but I lack the solid evidence to keep it from sounding like Mob Fantasy Football if I present it. Again, I wasn't saying you are wrong.
[/quote]

2. I know what your saying I am not talking about the whole medical care industry just Merlino , I’m just pointing most of the people he dealt with the medical scam were connected to organized crime , and one more thing why wouldn’t Merlino tell his probation officer about the money he was getting ? All signs to me he probaly knew this wasn’t legit again we don’t know what Merlino was thinking
3. Yeah didn’t think that just pointing out the tapes but it is also possible they were putting the official boss title on Merlino so there be a little less heat on Ligambi as well
It’s just my opinion Merlino holds the title

Scoops Licata would probaly enjoy this board ,
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

I tend to lean towards Stroccos thoughts on this.