1980 Pittsburgh Chart

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JCB1977
Filthy Few

Re: 1980 Pittsburgh Chart

Post by JCB1977 »

Chris Christie wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:19 am
JCB1977 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:56 am I have Charlie’s FBI file. The FBI in Miami was following him to Joe Sonken’s Gold Coast Restaurant meeting with Peanuts Tronolone in 1983-1986. They had his phones tapped and said he was calling Mike Genovese’s number direct from his home to Mike’s home. Charlie was also meeting with Bufalino Family members at Joe Sonken’s joint. Unfortunately, a lot of the file is redacted but it definitely shows that he was very active while down in Florida
Hmm, okay. We need to include these cross-family connections then. In arranging the crews I'm trying to do it demographically west to east, Warren would be on the far left, followed by Youngstown, Stuebensville then we enter into the PA stuff. I'm thinking of putting the external guys at the top but that's subject to change.

So who else for Warren, just these four guys under him? Anyone else to add?
I'm trying to find out if the De Cristofaro brothers were still alive "and active" in 1980.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

JCB1977 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:51 am
Stroccos wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:37 pm Ironcially The commission didn’t even include imburgia in the active mob member chart in there 1989 edition
But they did in 1990
Yeah strange that they didn’t even mention him , maybe he was that low key and living part time Fl

Anyone have the full copy of the 1987 report ,
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
FriendofFamily
Full Patched

Post by FriendofFamily »

JCB1977 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:56 am I have Charlie’s FBI file. The FBI in Miami was following him to Joe Sonken’s Gold Coast Restaurant meeting with Peanuts Tronolone in 1983-1986. They had his phones tapped and said he was calling Mike Genovese’s number direct from his home to Mike’s home. Charlie was also meeting with Bufalino Family members at Joe Sonken’s joint. Unfortunately, a lot of the file is redacted but it definitely shows that he was very active while down in Florida
Joe Sonken's Place was quite the place where a lot of activity transpired among families. My Wife and her former husband use to eat in there almost Daily during the Winter months of Florida.

My Wife and I went there during that time of the 1983-1986 time frame and even later than that.

Hey, did you ever hear that Joe Sonken threw Frank Sinatra and his entourage out of the place?

He didn't take any shit from people.

My Wife knew Joe Sonken much better than I did.
Know which Game to Play
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Hi Governor,

Please add Atilleo DiCristfaro to the Imburgia crew in Warren/Niles, OH
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

JCB1977 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:44 am Hi Governor,

Jcb woukd rocky LaRocca be considered a associate even though he was in the pagans ?
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Stroccos wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:58 am
JCB1977 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:44 am Hi Governor,

Jcb woukd rocky LaRocca be considered a associate even though he was in the pagans ?
I would have to say definitely

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

they didn't come up in the search if they area already on there I apologize
Ronald "farmer" Brown
Anthony "Ninny" Lagatutta
Maggiebnk
Prospect

Post by Maggiebnk »

I have several pics you are looking for. I'll message you privately.
Maggiebnk
Prospect

Post by Maggiebnk »

JCB1977 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:58 am New Kensington/Altoona/Johnstown 1980: (Joseph Regino was semi retired, living primarily in Florida) When Regino was semi retired, the Altoona/Johnstown operation was absorbed by Mannarino/Ciancutti

After the death of Kelly Mannarino on July 11, 1980, his protege Thomas "Sonny" Ciancutti took over the area:

Boss-Sonny Ciancutti

His associates were the following:

1. Jimmy Prato-Youngstown Capo (Prato answered directly to Kelly Mannarino)
2. Joey Naples-Youngstown (Naples answered directly to Ciancutti)
3. James "Jimmy the Greek" Ameris- New Ken major bookmaker (Westmoreland County)
4. Daniel "Speedo" Hanna- Arnold, PA (Westmoreland County)
5. Steven Hatzimbes- Lower Burrell, PA (Westmoreland County)
6. Robert "Bobby I" Iannelli- Pittsburgh (had his own massive network by 1985 after imprisonment of Tony Grosso)
7. Samuel "Sam" Lanzino- Lower Burrell, PA (Westmoreland County)
8. Peter Mercurio Sr.- Natrone Heights, PA (Allegheny County)
9. John Sabatini- Corapolis, PA (Allegheny County)
10. Robert "Bobby" Sabatini- Corapolis, PA (Allegheny County)
11. Gerald Sabatini- Corapolis, PA (Allegheny County)
12. Manuel "Manny" Xenakis- Corapolis, PA (Allegheny County)
13. Ralph "Big Head" Masselli- Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County)
14. John "Jack" Verilla-Made Member (Paid tribute to Kelly Mannarino and then Sonny Ciancutti)
15. John Caramadre- Verilla Associate, Altoona, PA
16. Vincent Caracciolo- Verilla Associate, Altoona, PA
17. Samuel "Sam Fashion" Fashionatta- Altoona, PA (Blair County)
18. Paul Folcarelli aka Paul Farrell- Altoona, PA
19. Joseph "The Weep" Ruggiero- Altoona, PA
20. Alfred "Freddie" Corbo- Largest bookmaker in Altoona, answered to Mannarino then Ciancutti
21. Frederick Piera- Johnstown, PA (Assumed control in 1981 of Dick Williams bookmaking operation-Cambria County)
22. Richard "Dick" Williams- Johnstown, PA (Cambria County)
23. Michael Gulino- Johnstown, PA (Cambria County)

**Jeffrey Risha (who would have been 27 years old in 1980 and Joseph Tobasco are candidates but I do not believe they were with Sonny in 1980, nor could I find any info that they were there in 1980.
I think Jeff Risha's father, Thomas, was involved in gambling as early as 1938. Also perhaps an arrest in 1986. Jeff's brother Patrick was politically powerful, and Patrick's son opened a controversial strip club in Pgh's West End a few years before his untimely death. So this Risha family was with somebody from the early days. Perhaps Ripepi?
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Maggiebnk wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:18 am
JCB1977 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:58 am New Kensington/Altoona/Johnstown 1980: (Joseph Regino was semi retired, living primarily in Florida) When Regino was semi retired, the Altoona/Johnstown operation was absorbed by Mannarino/Ciancutti

After the death of Kelly Mannarino on July 11, 1980, his protege Thomas "Sonny" Ciancutti took over the area:

Boss-Sonny Ciancutti

His associates were the following:

1. Jimmy Prato-Youngstown Capo (Prato answered directly to Kelly Mannarino)
2. Joey Naples-Youngstown (Naples answered directly to Ciancutti)
3. James "Jimmy the Greek" Ameris- New Ken major bookmaker (Westmoreland County)
4. Daniel "Speedo" Hanna- Arnold, PA (Westmoreland County)
5. Steven Hatzimbes- Lower Burrell, PA (Westmoreland County)
6. Robert "Bobby I" Iannelli- Pittsburgh (had his own massive network by 1985 after imprisonment of Tony Grosso)
7. Samuel "Sam" Lanzino- Lower Burrell, PA (Westmoreland County)
8. Peter Mercurio Sr.- Natrone Heights, PA (Allegheny County)
9. John Sabatini- Corapolis, PA (Allegheny County)
10. Robert "Bobby" Sabatini- Corapolis, PA (Allegheny County)
11. Gerald Sabatini- Corapolis, PA (Allegheny County)
12. Manuel "Manny" Xenakis- Corapolis, PA (Allegheny County)
13. Ralph "Big Head" Masselli- Pittsburgh, PA (Allegheny County)
14. John "Jack" Verilla-Made Member (Paid tribute to Kelly Mannarino and then Sonny Ciancutti)
15. John Caramadre- Verilla Associate, Altoona, PA
16. Vincent Caracciolo- Verilla Associate, Altoona, PA
17. Samuel "Sam Fashion" Fashionatta- Altoona, PA (Blair County)
18. Paul Folcarelli aka Paul Farrell- Altoona, PA
19. Joseph "The Weep" Ruggiero- Altoona, PA
20. Alfred "Freddie" Corbo- Largest bookmaker in Altoona, answered to Mannarino then Ciancutti
21. Frederick Piera- Johnstown, PA (Assumed control in 1981 of Dick Williams bookmaking operation-Cambria County)
22. Richard "Dick" Williams- Johnstown, PA (Cambria County)
23. Michael Gulino- Johnstown, PA (Cambria County)

**Jeffrey Risha (who would have been 27 years old in 1980 and Joseph Tobasco are candidates but I do not believe they were with Sonny in 1980, nor could I find any info that they were there in 1980.
I think Jeff Risha's father, Thomas, was involved in gambling as early as 1938. Also perhaps an arrest in 1986. Jeff's brother Patrick was politically powerful, and Patrick's son opened a controversial strip club in Pgh's West End a few years before his untimely death. So this Risha family was with somebody from the early days. Perhaps Ripepi?
So glad to see you on here my friend! That would make complete sense considering Risha was from Ripepi territory in Fayette County.

I’ll start checking his name crossed with Ripepi. However, Johnny Bazzano took over for his father in law. Wouldn’t Risha have been inherited by Bazzano Jr?

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Maggiebnk
Prospect

Post by Maggiebnk »

Hi, guys. I'm new to this forum, so I hope you'll be patient with me. I have a lot of questions, but once I get acclimated, I might be able to contribute a little bit. First of all, who controlled which geographic areas in western PA? I read thru the forum, but I still don't have a clear picture of this.
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

Maggiebnk wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:00 am Hi, guys. I'm new to this forum, so I hope you'll be patient with me. I have a lot of questions, but once I get acclimated, I might be able to contribute a little bit. First of all, who controlled which geographic areas in western PA? I read thru the forum, but I still don't have a clear picture of this.
Your question is right in JCB's wheelhouse. You may what to check out some of the break downs already given in this thread.
Last edited by FriendofHenry on Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola
Maggiebnk
Prospect

Post by Maggiebnk »

FriendofHenry wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:01 am
Maggiebnk wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:00 am Hi, guys. I'm new to this forum, so I hope you'll be patient with me. I have a lot of questions, but once I get acclimated, I might be able to contribute a little bit. First of all, who controlled which geographic areas in western PA? I read thru the forum, but I still don't have a clear picture of this.
Your question is right in JCB's wheelhouse. You make what to check out some of the break downs already given in this thread.
I did read through the posts, and while there is a lot about Johnstown, Altoona, New Kensington, for instance, all stuff I already knew, not much about Butler Co., Indiana Co., Beaver Co., and places north. And even a breakdown of the various parts of Pittsburgh would be helpful. But maybe that's what the forum is supposed to come up with?
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Maggiebnk wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:29 am
FriendofHenry wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:01 am
Your question is right in JCB's wheelhouse. You make what to check out some of the break downs already given in this thread.
I did read through the posts, and while there is a lot about Johnstown, Altoona, New Kensington, for instance, all stuff I already knew, not much about Butler Co., Indiana Co., Beaver Co., and places north. And even a breakdown of the various parts of Pittsburgh would be helpful. But maybe that's what the forum is supposed to come up with?
Absolutely, that is what we will come up with.

In the 1960's, a guy by the name of Sam Adornato (from Reggio Calabria) was allegedly the guy in Indiana County. In the MF files, he is connected to Dominic "Big Dom" Mallamo from Youngstown as well as Paul and Mike Romeo. For all intensive purposes, he comes off as a legitimate businessman in Indiana and the owner of a popular restaurant. But so did Paul & Mike Romeo. I have no clue of Indiana County had representation in 1980. If anything, I would think Joe Regino controlled this territory because of it's close proximity to Johnstown. I would venture to say that Indiana County was pretty dead since the mines were not running to much any longer.

Beaver County- Frank Unis Sr and Frank Unis Jr (Aliquippa)

Butler County- My guess is Lawrence Amodie from New Castle, PA (partners with Michael Gulino in Johnstown)

**Ironically, Indiana, beaver and Butler County had their own black hand groups in the early days but 1980 in Indiana and Butler is murky.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Hi All,

Please welcome maggiebnk to the board. She is one of the best historians I know from Pittsburgh, born and raised in New Kensington. She is a wealth of knowledge, ESPECIALLY ON THE EARLY DAYS. She is a personal friend of mine and agreed to help us on this project. Please treat her with respect.

Thanks!

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP