Was Joe Lombardo ever boss of the Outfit, even briefly?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Was Joe Lombardo ever boss of the Outfit, even briefly?

Post by Dwalin2014 »

I have re-watched a documentary about the history of the Chicago mob (the one from the "Underworld" series, featuring the investigation on Pat Marcy among other things). I noticed it said that after Accardo's death Joe Lombardo probably inherited his postion as "chairman" of the Outfit (the power behind the throne position, not the front boss rank that Giancana, Aiuppa and others had). How accurate or at least possible this is in your opinion? Was Lombardo even the real power overruling DiFronzo or did he never rise above the rank of capo? I also read somewhere he was consigliere for some time, but the consigliere position is the de-facto boss in Chicago, Ricca and Accardo had been this during their power years, if I got it right. Anyway, some articles I read years ago were very much confused about whether DiFronzo, Lombardo or Andriacchi was the real boss in the 90s after Accardo died.

So, to sum it up, do you think did Lombardo initially ranked higher than DiFronzo in terms of "real" power by pulling the strings behind the throne or did the Outfit return to the "normal" boss system with DiFronzo, when it's the boss and not the advisor who is in charge, like in New York?
cavita
Full Patched

Re: Was Joe Lombardo ever boss of the Outfit, even briefly?

Post by cavita »

The following is an excerpt from "The New Outfit" by Steve Warimbir, Chicago court reporter from 2002. Everyone has an opinion and the fact that even law enforcement can't agree on who was/is running the Outfit is maddening for mob watchers:

Who's the boss?

Is it Joey the Clown?

Or No Nose?

Or the Builder?

The fact that mob watchers are not even sure who's running the Chicago Outfit these days--Lombardo, DiFronzo or Andriacchi--is seen by some as a sign of great sophistication.

"That very fact that you need to ask that question shows how effective the Outfit is," argues St. Xavier University Professor Howard Abadinsky, who has written on Chicago organized crime.

Or it could mean there is no clear leader willing to step up and take the heat from the feds, other observers argue.

The Chicago mob, Abadinsky points out, wisely keeps a low profile, especially compared with the New York mob, which has a way of gathering headlines through gunplay.

Or as then mob boss Tony Accardo once told FBI agents in the early 1970s, "We're gentlemen in Chicago. They're savages in New York."
Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dwalin2014 »

cavita wrote: Or as then mob boss Tony Accardo once told FBI agents in the early 1970s, "We're gentlemen in Chicago. They're savages in New York."
What a hypocrite Accardo was. No New York mafioso could be compared in terms of being savage to the individuals who did the Action Jackson 3-day-long job. Even Casso and Scarfo killed their victims quickly (with the exception of Jimmy Hydell).
dixiemafia
Full Patched

Post by dixiemafia »

Dwalin2014 wrote:
cavita wrote: Or as then mob boss Tony Accardo once told FBI agents in the early 1970s, "We're gentlemen in Chicago. They're savages in New York."
What a hypocrite Accardo was. No New York mafioso could be compared in terms of being savage to the individuals who did the Action Jackson 3-day-long job. Even Casso and Scarfo killed their victims quickly (with the exception of Jimmy Hydell).
Yea no joke, I have found Accardo's character fascinating considering he stayed up near the top for that long with nobody ever going after him and him not spending no time in jail. But he was one ruthless MF'er for sure!! He definitely shouldn't be calling NYC savages and he was just as bad, if not worse.

Also though it could have just been him buttering up the agent as well. It was well known he was very respectful to the agents and in return they showed him a lot of respect as well. It was smart too because they were less likely to go after him than they were someone like Giancana that basically spit in their face and even sued them.
If I didn't have my case coming up, I would like to come back with you gentlemen when this is over with and really lay the law down what is going on in this country.....
Mr. Madbull
Associate

Post by Mr. Madbull »

Fascinating guy for sure. Can't comment on the 'savages' comment as I've never heard it. One thing that struck me odd about him is the story that he allocated one glass of Champagne per guest at his daughters wedding. I know that sounds ridiculous and probably isn't true, but it always stuck with me. Was he anti-booze? Was he being frugal? And since we're talking about him, can anyone explain that photograph of him sitting with Aiuppa at a cemetery as a hearse rolls by?

Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Frank sr and jr discussed the clown being boss on a wiretap this was late 90's they said he was but not anymore basically through the 90's at various times carlisi, difronzo, lombardo, monteleone, and andriacchi served as boss. As for the pic they were at a funeral together and someone took a picture what's not to get?
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Anyone know whose funeral they were at?

I don't see the controversy over his statement? I presume he was referring to the internecine and public warfare there.
dixiemafia
Full Patched

Post by dixiemafia »

I never seen that pic before, but I imagine if they were seen there for a while they were talking business I'd imagine unless it was someone close to them being buried and it could have simply been support. That looks like it was near the end for Accardo as he looks pretty old there.
If I didn't have my case coming up, I would like to come back with you gentlemen when this is over with and really lay the law down what is going on in this country.....
rayray
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by rayray »

Actually, Accardo looks like he was in fairly good shape in that funeral pick. This had to be quite a few years before he was called in front of congress or whatever it was he was doing. When they were asking him about his nickname Joe Batters lol.

That pick looks like late late 70's maybe 80 to 82 but no later in my opinion.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Definitely at most early 80s cause Obrien went away in 86 and didn't get out until 10 years later.
Mr. Madbull
Associate

Post by Mr. Madbull »

rayray wrote:Actually, Accardo looks like he was in fairly good shape in that funeral pick. This had to be quite a few years before he was called in front of congress or whatever it was he was doing. When they were asking him about his nickname Joe Batters lol.

That pick looks like late late 70's maybe 80 to 82 but no later in my opinion.
I agree he looks in pretty good shape. Doubt those guys were there coincidentally, but you never know in a city the size of Chicago.
Mr. Madbull
Associate

Post by Mr. Madbull »

I'm thinking it was taken early 80s due to the style of the hearse. I'm no expert on hearse's, but it just doesn't quite have that 70s look to it. Maybe East Bronx can comment on it.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

I don't think Lombardo was ever the Outfit boss. Can't really find a place in the time line where he would have been.
All roads lead to New York.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Only time I can think of is 1992-1994, when DiFeonzo and Carlisle were in prison. I guess Andriacchi could have been acting for DiFrondo but who really knows.
Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dwalin2014 »

But even if he wasn't official boss, could he have been an advisor with real power, like Ricca or Accardo? The official boss position was always subordinate to the elder consigliere in Chicago since Al Capone. I mean, could the relationship between Di Fronzo and Lombardo been like Nitti/Ricca and Giancana/Accardo?
In that documentary they said that Giancana was like a "chief executive" and Accardo like a "chairman", and they said Lombardo inherited the "chairman" position.