Was Dellacroce an infomer?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

bronx
Full Patched

Re: Was Dellacroce an infomer?

Post by bronx »

thanks B exactly how i remember the rumors, i did not think he produced paper work i.e. 302 ect. lets not discount he may have made it up to get decicco killed ,maybe from an old grudge. they both were no nonsense men. you are correct the G does not admit who was a c.i. after death..seems they should, may be seeds for guys to be c.i.s without having to catch them committing a crime then trying to flip them. if it would come out decicco, dellacroce, lombardozzi plus many other high profile guys were closet rats ,fodder for some
NYNighthawk
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by NYNighthawk »

It was a very high top echelon informant who gave up Gotti's apt. above the Ravenite. That info was Gotti's downfall.
Hailbritain
Full Patched

Post by Hailbritain »

B. wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:27 am Gus Sclafani's mother-in-law worked for the courts and had been passing information along to Sclafani, Joe Corrao, and others since at least the mid-1970s. From what I've read, all of the known information she passed along except the info the prosecutors used to set her up was accurate. It's likely she passed along other information that she was not charged with and that LE was not aware of. This is from the NYT:
The racketeering indictment charged that Mrs. Russo conspired from 1975 to 1983 - when she worked in the criminal division of the court - with Gambino family leaders, including the late boss of the family, Paul Castellano, to obtain and pass on information about secret grand jury matters and other criminal proceedings. The information helped organized-crime members flee to avoid arrest and prosecution, the indictment asserted.

In the two counts to which she pleaded guilty, Mrs. Russo was charged with conspiring to obstruct justice with her son-in-law, Augustus Sclafani, who has been identified as being associated with the Gambino group. He is listed as a fugitive, but law-enforcement agents say they believe he is dead.

One of the counts said Mrs. Russo provided information in April 1983 about a sealed grand jury indictment against Alphonse (Junior) Persico, the son of Carmine Persico, who the authorities say is the head of Colombo organized-crime group in the city.

The other said that, in September 1983, she passed on information about another sealed indictment. But that indictment, according to two prosecutors, Douglas E. Grover and Laura A. Ward, was ''specious'' and had been drawn up to test the honesty of Mrs. Russo, who had come under suspicion.

In both instances, according to the charges, she gave the confidential information to Joseph Corrao, a reputed Gambino captain, who is one of those scheduled for trial Monday.
I can't find an actual quote, but I have read before that Sclafani picked up the DeCicco / informant rumor through this source. Gravano's 302 says that Sclafani claimed to have a "source in law enforcement" claiming DeCicco was informing.
HairyKnuckles wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:13 am The tip must have come from somebody who was going to be there or somebody who was going to drive one of the bosses there. That´s the most logical explanation for the successful catch. Usually the bosses do not tell their underlings where exactly a meeting will take place. In their eyes, they don´t need to know the details. Another possibility is that the tip came from the house owner. Do anyone know who the house owner was at the time? That could narrow it down in finding out who the tipster was.
The Commission meeting was held at the home of one of Tommy Bilotti's relatives. DeCicco served as the chauffeur taking the different family representatives from their cars to the home where the meeting was located. The tip was said to be from an existing informant with the codename "Mr. G" (not clear if that was his actual codename or used only for the Boss of Bosses book), said to be a Gambino member, I believe.
Mildred russo was the mother in law
dimaggio
Associate

Post by dimaggio »

NYNighthawk wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:35 am It was a very high top echelon informant who gave up Gotti's apt. above the Ravenite. That info was Gotti's downfall.
I've seen interviews with both Bruce Mouw and Jim Kalstrom, both ex Gambino task force, that they were not so much tipped off about the apartment as the FBI who were monitoring the ravenite would see nettie cerilli leave like clockwork every time gottis voice disappeared from their surveillance audio. They put 2 and 2 together.
dimaggio
Associate

Post by dimaggio »

Hailbritain wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:07 am
B. wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:27 am Gus Sclafani's mother-in-law worked for the courts and had been passing information along to Sclafani, Joe Corrao, and others since at least the mid-1970s. From what I've read, all of the known information she passed along except the info the prosecutors used to set her up was accurate. It's likely she passed along other information that she was not charged with and that LE was not aware of. This is from the NYT:
The racketeering indictment charged that Mrs. Russo conspired from 1975 to 1983 - when she worked in the criminal division of the court - with Gambino family leaders, including the late boss of the family, Paul Castellano, to obtain and pass on information about secret grand jury matters and other criminal proceedings. The information helped organized-crime members flee to avoid arrest and prosecution, the indictment asserted.

In the two counts to which she pleaded guilty, Mrs. Russo was charged with conspiring to obstruct justice with her son-in-law, Augustus Sclafani, who has been identified as being associated with the Gambino group. He is listed as a fugitive, but law-enforcement agents say they believe he is dead.

One of the counts said Mrs. Russo provided information in April 1983 about a sealed grand jury indictment against Alphonse (Junior) Persico, the son of Carmine Persico, who the authorities say is the head of Colombo organized-crime group in the city.

The other said that, in September 1983, she passed on information about another sealed indictment. But that indictment, according to two prosecutors, Douglas E. Grover and Laura A. Ward, was ''specious'' and had been drawn up to test the honesty of Mrs. Russo, who had come under suspicion.

In both instances, according to the charges, she gave the confidential information to Joseph Corrao, a reputed Gambino captain, who is one of those scheduled for trial Monday.
I can't find an actual quote, but I have read before that Sclafani picked up the DeCicco / informant rumor through this source. Gravano's 302 says that Sclafani claimed to have a "source in law enforcement" claiming DeCicco was informing.
HairyKnuckles wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:13 am The tip must have come from somebody who was going to be there or somebody who was going to drive one of the bosses there. That´s the most logical explanation for the successful catch. Usually the bosses do not tell their underlings where exactly a meeting will take place. In their eyes, they don´t need to know the details. Another possibility is that the tip came from the house owner. Do anyone know who the house owner was at the time? That could narrow it down in finding out who the tipster was.
The Commission meeting was held at the home of one of Tommy Bilotti's relatives. DeCicco served as the chauffeur taking the different family representatives from their cars to the home where the meeting was located. The tip was said to be from an existing informant with the codename "Mr. G" (not clear if that was his actual codename or used only for the Boss of Bosses book), said to be a Gambino member, I believe.
Mildred russo was the mother in law
The house was owned by Dewey and Angelina Gheraldi. She was tommy Bilottis first cousin
NYNighthawk
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by NYNighthawk »

dimaggio wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:03 am
NYNighthawk wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:35 am It was a very high top echelon informant who gave up Gotti's apt. above the Ravenite. That info was Gotti's downfall.
I've seen interviews with both Bruce Mouw and Jim Kalstrom, both ex Gambino task force, that they were not so much tipped off about the apartment as the FBI who were monitoring the ravenite would see nettie cerilli leave like clockwork every time gottis voice disappeared from their surveillance audio. They put 2 and 2 together.
They don't want to admit they had an informant telling that info
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

would be good advertising.after these high level guys die to promote C.I.s
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

NYNighthawk wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:46 am
dimaggio wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:03 am
They don't want to admit they had an informant telling that info

In the recent Junior Gotti documentary Meow admitted that they had informants inside the Ravenite who told them that Gotti was having his high level meetings in the apartment above the Ravenite.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

bronx wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:56 am would be good advertising.after these high level guys die to promote C.I.s
I would guess it's a matter of policy not to reveal that info, even after death. It could potentially jeopardize operations that are still underway as a result of information from the deceased informant, or put the lives of the informant's associates/relatives in danger.

As far as the Ravenite bug goes, the unfortunate thing is that the Gambino FBI team from the 1980s has given inconsistent information and even lied about their investigations. A great example is the elaborate lie about how they bugged Castellano's house in the book "Boss of Bosses", written by two FBI agents. I've never seen any reason to believe the results of their investigations were deceptive, but unfortunately they haven't always been straightforward about the investigative process itself. Whether that is to protect their investigative techniques or just a self-serving move is another question.
DPG
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by DPG »

bronx wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:56 am would be good advertising.after these high level guys die to promote C.I.s
Jace on bb swears up and down there were no informants before Scarpa. Gave him links to read about them and says he doesn't believe bloggers who bend facts to fit their theories. O and he doesnt consider early families such as Morello to be the Mafia. He's a little out of touch imo.
I get it....first rule of fight club.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

Hello B. ill agree if a guy died within several years it may jeopardize cases on going, after a decade or more? not really. nobody is ever killing family members who were c.i. s..italy maybe these days..frank copa, frank lino, i.e. fathers ratted they still function and live freely and openly in the mob. they are fair game if anyone is. they are made guys involved with the life, a guy like dellcroce, whom i do not believe or decicco i also do not believe were undercover rats, lombardozzi very well could have been.if any of those guys were living two lives, my opinion and it is just that, would go a very long way for the G to recruit C.I.s.. who would not want a stay out of prison card today? and they pay you also..
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

Pogo is right on pointing out with bruce m said..there was that street rumor before they got pinched ,a high level guy in that family was a c.i.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

I think it's a mystery why most CIs did what they did. Various motivations, frustrations, etc.
NYNighthawk
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by NYNighthawk »

bronx wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:59 pm Pogo is right on pointing out with bruce m said..there was that street rumor before they got pinched ,a high level guy in that family was a c.i.
[/Let me give you a further hint to think about - who was in that apt but never caught talking mob business on those tapes?
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

Hawk great tip, and should have been lol