Michael Franzese and the 12 Questions - Updated Page 5

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

FriendofFamily
Full Patched

Michael Franzese and the 12 Questions - Updated Page 5

Post by FriendofFamily »

So I haven't completely given up trying to get the Twelve (12) Questions answered from a year and half ago. I contacted Michael yesterday and he responded.

"That was awhile ago, my friend. Please resend them and I'll do my best." .... "Thanks!"

Even if he answers a question or two would be nice, but realistically this man was a Capo and has survived Sit Downs where a lot of money was at Stake, including his own life, so for us to think that we are somehow going to "hold torches to his feet until he talks" is unrealistic.

BTW: Question Number #8 is missing that we had some time ago. Michael did not receive Question #8 either before or currently.

For those that need the refresher on the 12 Questions they are as follows:

So here's the questions I have now so far.....
1. To your knowledge, when did Carmine Persico become boss of the Colombo Family? And if he wasn't considered the boss in the 70's was he still pulling the strings from prison?
2. In this article, (Ill post the link that WG posted), you stated there are 9 families in the U.S. Do you come to that conclusion from personal knowledge or is that an assumption from what you have seen in the past?
3. Was Carmine Galante the boss of the Bonnano Family? Or was he just a powerful captain who thought he was the boss?
4. Do you have any thoughts on Hugh McIntosh? If so, can you speak on his relationship to Carmine Persico?
5. Michael Persico was quoted by your father as being a special member. Could you elaborate? Does that mean he was made but kept secret or not made but treated as such?
6. Has your father ever stated on when he was made? And if so did he ever state who was present?
7. Did you have any made members in your crew while you were captain and if so who were they?
9. The Genovese Family leadership pre 1981, when Vincent Gigante became boss and Fat Tony Salerno had a stroke has been a mystery. As far as you understand, who was the boss of the Genovese Family in the 1970's? Also any other administration members?
10. What was your fathers relationship and opinion on Carmine Persico? And also what was your relationship to his sons and nephews?
11. Further expanding on the last question what were your thoughts on Allie Boy Persico when both of you were captains? Was he an effective leader who took after his father?
12.. Any thoughts or opinions on any other mobsters you encountered in the 70's or 80's?
Last edited by FriendofFamily on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Know which Game to Play
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Re: Michael Franzese and the 12 Questions

Post by aleksandrored »

great questions, I hope he answers, I found it strange to say that he only had 9 families, although families like LA did not have much power at that time they still existed, so I think he must have more than 9 in the 70s
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

aleksandrored wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:23 am I found it strange to say that he only had 9 families, although families like LA did not have much power at that time they still existed, so I think he must have more than 9 in the 70s

His 9 families remaining comment was more recent (about 10-12 years ago). Probably referencing the 9 families still recognized by the Feds.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

He did asnswer these questions. I know beacuse I posted this one:
7. Did you have any made members in your crew while you were captain and if so who were they?
The answer was something to the effect of "yes, I had many guys under me".

Disappointing to say the least.
There you have it, never printed before.
yatescj7781
Straightened out

Post by yatescj7781 »

The only question I have is about the October 75 making ceremony. Jog his memory if it was 75,76, or 77 and if the lucchese and Genovese made members before 76 and Allie boys being made in 72
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:13 am
aleksandrored wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:23 am I found it strange to say that he only had 9 families, although families like LA did not have much power at that time they still existed, so I think he must have more than 9 in the 70s

His 9 families remaining comment was more recent (about 10-12 years ago). Probably referencing the 9 families still recognized by the Feds.

Pogo
Yeah, the comment was from one of his appearances a while back. He said, "There are 9 La Cosa Nostra families. 5 of them exist in New York."

That stuck out because it agreed with a 2004 CNN article - "Operation Buttondown, the code name for the FBI's campaign to crush the Mafia, reduced the number of families operating in the United States from 24 to only nine, the FBI officials said."
All roads lead to New York.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

yatescj7781 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:15 am The only question I have is about the October 75 making ceremony. Jog his memory if it was 75,76, or 77 and if the lucchese and Genovese made members before 76 and Allie boys being made in 72
He has always claimed 1975 so he will probably stick to that even if he now knows he remembered it wrong. The books opened up in early 1976 so he can not have been made in 1975.
There you have it, never printed before.
SILENT PARTNERZ
Full Patched

Post by SILENT PARTNERZ »

NYC
Chicago
NE
Philly
= 8
He must either count Detroit or the DeCavs as being gone.
'three can keep a secret, if two are dead'
FriendofFamily
Full Patched

Post by FriendofFamily »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:38 am
yatescj7781 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:15 am The only question I have is about the October 75 making ceremony. Jog his memory if it was 75,76, or 77 and if the lucchese and Genovese made members before 76 and Allie boys being made in 72
He has always claimed 1975 so he will probably stick to that even if he now knows he remembered it wrong. The books opened up in early 1976 so he can not have been made in 1975.
You can count on Michael as he will always say 1975. I don't think he can change his story even if it was something else because if you don't know when you're MADE then he loses credibility and then everyone would start doubting everything that he says or does. It wouldn't be profitable and the Marketability of him then goes down.

Remember in the Last Scene of the Movie "The Man who Shot Liberty Valance" the newspaperman said "When the legend becomes fact - Print the legend".

Know which Game to Play
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

SILENT PARTNERZ wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:01 am NYC
Chicago
NE
Philly
= 8
He said 9. He's almost certainly counting NJ.
SILENT PARTNERZ
Full Patched

Post by SILENT PARTNERZ »

Snakes wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:49 am
SILENT PARTNERZ wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:01 am NYC
Chicago
NE
Philly
= 8
He said 9. He's almost certainly counting NJ.
I agree. Him being from NYC, he'd know about
the DeCavs more so that Detroit.
'three can keep a secret, if two are dead'
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Got it, thank you guys, the nine families would be the 5 of NY, Chicago, Philadelphia, decavalcante and Patriarca?
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

aleksandrored wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:15 pm Got it, thank you guys, the nine families would be the 5 of NY, Chicago, Philadelphia, decavalcante and Patriarca?
Yes, those are the nine.

In addition to that CNN article excerpt, it also lines up with what the FBI currently has on their website -

The LCN is most active in the New York metropolitan area, parts of New Jersey, Philadelphia, Detroit, Chicago, and New England. The major LCN families include the five New York-based families—Bonanno, Colombo, Gambino, Genovese, and Luchese; the Newark-based DeCavalcante family; the New England LCN; the Philadelphia LCN; and the Chicago Outfit.
https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/organiz ... rime/Mafia

Interestingly, those same families were the same ones listed in this article from 25 years ago -

"The federal government's hit list for the Mafia once included nearly 20 cities, but officials say they are close to crossing off Cleveland; Denver; Los Angeles; New Orleans; Pittston, Pa.; Rochester, N.Y.; San Francisco; San Jose; St. Louis and Tampa. 'We still have powerful La Cosa Nostra families in New York City, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston and south Florida," said Paul Coffey, who heads the Justice Department's organized crime division. He added that no major Mafia family 'has been completely eradicated.'"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 3cbbd7c567

The reference to "south Florida," which we also saw in a similar article years later, is in reference to where the NY families were active.
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Wiseguy wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:35 pm
aleksandrored wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:15 pm Got it, thank you guys, the nine families would be the 5 of NY, Chicago, Philadelphia, decavalcante and Patriarca?
Yes, those are the nine.

In addition to that CNN article excerpt, it also lines up with what the FBI currently has on their website -

The LCN is most active in the New York metropolitan area, parts of New Jersey, Philadelphia, Detroit, Chicago, and New England. The major LCN families include the five New York-based families—Bonanno, Colombo, Gambino, Genovese, and Luchese; the Newark-based DeCavalcante family; the New England LCN; the Philadelphia LCN; and the Chicago Outfit.
https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/organiz ... rime/Mafia

Interestingly, those same families were the same ones listed in this article from 25 years ago -

"The federal government's hit list for the Mafia once included nearly 20 cities, but officials say they are close to crossing off Cleveland; Denver; Los Angeles; New Orleans; Pittston, Pa.; Rochester, N.Y.; San Francisco; San Jose; St. Louis and Tampa. 'We still have powerful La Cosa Nostra families in New York City, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston and south Florida," said Paul Coffey, who heads the Justice Department's organized crime division. He added that no major Mafia family 'has been completely eradicated.'"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 3cbbd7c567

The reference to "south Florida," which we also saw in a similar article years later, is in reference to where the NY families were active.
Thank you, this also shows how much the Mafia has weakened in the US, since it only has 9 families remaining is a strong blow, but I think it is also due to the fact that it does not have many Italian-Americans as in the previous decades.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

aleksandrored wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:41 pmThank you, this also shows how much the Mafia has weakened in the US, since it only has 9 families remaining is a strong blow, but I think it is also due to the fact that it does not have many Italian-Americans as in the previous decades.
Italian-Americans entering mainstream American life, and there not being the quantity or quality of new recruits, is the #1 reason the number went from 24 to 9. Repeated prosecutions certainly helped the process but there's a reason why most of the remaining families are in the Northeast - it's where most of the Italians are.