Taccetta's appeal dismisses 22 years after trial

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Taccetta's appeal dismisses 22 years after trial

Post by Wiseguy »

Reputed Lucchese mobster has appeal dismissed 22 years after trial
By Seth Augenstein | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
February 27, 2015

17130292-mmmain.jpg
A reputed underboss in the Lucchese crime family serving a life sentence had his appeal dismissed by a federal court Thursday.

Martin R. Taccetta, 63, was originally convicted in state Superior Court of racketeering and theft charges in 1993, in a case surrounding the 1984 golf-club beating death of Ocean County businessman Vincent "Jimmy Sinatra" Craparotta.

Taccetta was acquitted on the murder charge against him, but convicted on the other counts. Since the first-degree racketeering charge involved violent crimes, a judge sentenced him to life in prison under state law.

Maintaining he had no part in the murder, Taccetta appealed the sentence for more than a decade, saying his attorney gave him bad advice on how long his prison sentence could be of convicted.

Taccetta was released from prison in December 2005, when a Superior Court judge ordered that he was entitled to a new trial. He was sent back to prison after the New Jersey Supreme Court ruled against him in 2009.

On Thursday, the federal judges said Taccetta, who was challenging the constitutionality of his sentence, should continue serving that sentence.

"Taccetta has... failed to show that any constitutional tension created by the New Jersey Supreme Court's opinion violated clearly established federal law as determined by the United States Supreme Court," the federal judges wrote in their opinion.

Taccetta, of East Hanover, was reputedly part of the Lucchese crime family's New Jersey branch.

At the time, the charges against Taccetta were part of the longest trial in American history, according to reports of the time. The subject became a 1995 book called "The Boys from New Jersey," by former Star-Ledger reporter Robert Rudolph.

Attorneys for Taccetta could not be reached today by phone.

Steven Yomtov, the deputy attorney general who handled the federal appeal, said Taccetta could potentially file an appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court. But this result was gratifying, he said.

"I believe the Third Circuit reached the correct decision," Yomtov said.

Taccetta has been serving his life sentence at New Jersey State Prison in Trenton since July 2009, a corrections spokeswoman confirmed.

http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2015 ... _jers.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All roads lead to New York.
bronx
Full Patched

Re: Taccetta's appeal dismisses 22 years after trial

Post by bronx »

no body and gets life, what scumbags...also have him black boxed..
East Bronx
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by East Bronx »

bronx wrote:no body and gets life, what scumbags...also have him black boxed..
And the idiot who wrote the caption labels him the under. Morons.
"Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in your first half-hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker." ---- Rounders.
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

East Bronx wrote:
New papers have been calling him the under boss and his brother the boss for decades. Makes good headlines. Marty did get fucked though. He shouikd have taken the plea deal he was offered. Worse part he has to serve his sentence in state prison with all the jerk off gangbangers doing life. His sentence isb no walk in the park. He would much rather be serving it at a minimal security prison in the federal system. The min security fed prison in wv where his brother got shipped off to must seem like club med compared to rahway or Trenton state prison where he did 20plus yrs. Nj state prison is like fuckin Haiti !
willychichi
Full Patched

Post by willychichi »

For those that haven't seen it here is some court info on Taccetta's consecutive sentences and other case/trial info.

The trial court found Martin Taccetta eligible for an extended term sentence both as a persistent offender and as a professional criminal.   See N.J.S.A. 2C:44-3a, b.   The court, after merging count one into count two, sentenced Martin as follows:  life with 25 years parole ineligibility on count two;  10 years with 5 years parole ineligibility on count five consecutive to the term on count two;  and 10 years with 5 years parole ineligibility on count six concurrent with count five but consecutive to count two.   The  court also imposed required Violent Crimes Compensation Board (VCCB) penalties.

Read more at: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/nj-superior- ... cMzwM.dpuf
Obama's a pimp he coulda never outfought Trump, but I didn't know it till this day that it was Putin all along.
East Bronx
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by East Bronx »

Rocco wrote:
East Bronx wrote:
New papers have been calling him the under boss and his brother the boss for decades. Makes good headlines.
Yeah, I know. But it still bugs me. It's like when they'd call his brother the "Boss of the Jersey Mafia," when a) He wasn't even the boss of his family. And b) I fucking hate it when they use the term "Boss of the (insert state) Mafia."
"Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in your first half-hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker." ---- Rounders.
Chicago
Straightened out

Post by Chicago »

Last edited by Chicago on Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dwalin2014 »

Chicago wrote:@ Bronx Tale,
They do the same thing in Chicago. Every guy who gets arrested is a Boss. Every single guy in the Outfit is a Boss.
There are 6 million Bosses in Cook County. :lol:
Just like in Italy: when they arrest 20 mafiosi, the newspapers scream: 20 BOSSES ARRESTED! This happens so often that it doesn't even amuse me any more.
Dellacroce
Straightened out

Post by Dellacroce »

Says hes gonna take it all the way to the supreme court.

http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2015 ... tence.html
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

Dellacroce wrote:Says hes gonna take it all the way to the supreme court.

http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2015 ... tence.html
He must have allot of dough paying all these attorneys all these years. When he was released he was indicted like 3 times in just a few years on new charges. Wheres he going? Lol
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

Not even that Chicago.. But the guy was released for four years and in that time he was hit by 3new indictments. Freedom is just not in the cards for this guy. Its a Pipedream. And he was stiring the pot within the NJ crew the day he walked out of jail. He didn't want to answer to Perna. He was underminding him going around his back to NY. He was willing to answer to Nicky Jr when he got out because he was gonna play the kid and undermined him go to the panel in NY make JR look like and idiot in the hopes he'd become capo. But it went to Ralph. His brother who gets out next year is even worse. Should be very interesting if Mike T falls inline under Ralph and Mike P. I just don't see that happening...
BobbyPazzo
Straightened out

Post by BobbyPazzo »

Rocco you know a lot about these guys I can tell you're from around the way. I live in bloomfield but I'm originally a Clifton paterson guy. Grew up around joe Gatto's people. 21st ave cianci street Union ave. I met the Perna's through a player believe it or not. Then eventually starting dealing with them.
Most of you wouldn't be comfortable in my playground.
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

BobbyPazzo wrote:Rocco you know a lot about these guys I can tell you're from around the way. I live in bloomfield but I'm originally a Clifton paterson guy. Grew up around joe Gatto's people. 21st ave cianci street Union ave. I met the Perna's through a player believe it or not. Then eventually starting dealing with them.
My prediction is Mike T gets locked up in no time because he has no one to front for him. His son is going away and is buying time with his lawyer trying to work out a good plea deal for the load of weed they caught him with in his pickup truck. I just don't see Mike T falling in line under Mike P. Cousins or not..I don't see it. Marty had a hard time with it as well when he was out. Mike P has people to front for him to keep him in the back ground. Mike P is the reason Ralph Sr was made and later bumped up to Capo. MP is highly respected. Did time in Lewisburg w/ Maddona and many other NY heavy weights. As well as in Fairton in S jersey. The guy can do no wrong with NY. If MP goes down it will be because of MT. Just my two cents.
BobbyPazzo
Straightened out

Post by BobbyPazzo »

Yea I heard the same shit out there. That its mike p not mike t calling the shots.
Most of you wouldn't be comfortable in my playground.
BillyBrizzi
Straightened out

Post by BillyBrizzi »

Rocco wrote:
BobbyPazzo wrote:Rocco you know a lot about these guys I can tell you're from around the way. I live in bloomfield but I'm originally a Clifton paterson guy. Grew up around joe Gatto's people. 21st ave cianci street Union ave. I met the Perna's through a player believe it or not. Then eventually starting dealing with them.
My prediction is Mike T gets locked up in no time because he has no one to front for him. His son is going away and is buying time with his lawyer trying to work out a good plea deal for the load of weed they caught him with in his pickup truck. I just don't see Mike T falling in line under Mike P. Cousins or not..I don't see it. Marty had a hard time with it as well when he was out. Mike P has people to front for him to keep him in the back ground. Mike P is the reason Ralph Sr was made and later bumped up to Capo. MP is highly respected. Did time in Lewisburg w/ Maddona and many other NY heavy weights. As well as in Fairton in S jersey. The guy can do no wrong with NY. If MP goes down it will be because of MT. Just my two cents.
Seth Ferranti of gorillaconvict.com also speaks very highly of Michael Perna, called him a class act in the article below, a very good article btw..

http://gangstersinc.ning.com/profiles/b ... on-a-story
FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT