Business or Blood: Mafia Boss Vito Rizzuto's Last War

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

dixiemafia
Full Patched

Re: Business or Blood: Mafia Boss Vito Rizzuto's Last War

Post by dixiemafia »

I agree, it could be Stefano with his Dad being in the adviser role. I just don't see some new guy that was only tight with Vito that nobody knows taking over and everyone falling in line even with the Rizzuto hit list still being active.
If I didn't have my case coming up, I would like to come back with you gentlemen when this is over with and really lay the law down what is going on in this country.....
toto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by toto »

Lupara wrote:Nobody flips because of the relatively short sentences criminals serve for crimes such as drug dealing or even murder.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D2005 met Tapatalk
Nobody has flipped so far. Short sentences are no guarantee. Some guys refuse jail altogether and will flip. The whole Bonanno dominoes collapse happened because Frank Coppa didn't want to go back to jail for a few years.

It is a matter of time and circumstance.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

toto wrote:
Lupara wrote:Nobody flips because of the relatively short sentences criminals serve for crimes such as drug dealing or even murder.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D2005 met Tapatalk
Nobody has flipped so far. Short sentences are no guarantee. Some guys refuse jail altogether and will flip. The whole Bonanno dominoes collapse happened because Frank Coppa didn't want to go back to jail for a few years.

It is a matter of time and circumstance.
Fair enough.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Recently finished reading this book. Overall I liked it but a few things did stand out.

As already mentioned, there was the claim about the Bonannos being oldest family in New York. Not sure where they got that. Also Sciasci being killed to appease Gotti because he called a Gambino member a druggie? Not exactly. Also the claim that the NY families had been getting a "serious ass kicking" by Russian, Chinese, and Albanian gangsters? I'd challenge the authors to give even any examples of that. Then there was the claim about the Bonannos "being in no position" to avenge Montagna. That may indeed be true but the same thing could be said about the Rizzuto's failure to avenge Sciascia. I did like how the authors basically conceded that Canadian justice is a joke.

As far as the war itself, while the Rizzutos certainly had their enemies beforehand, it seems to me that the void was created with Vitos' extradition to the U.S. and the subsequent arrest of so many people in the organization (including several of the top guys) in Project Colisee. The Desjardins-Mirarchi-DiMaulo group was the driving force to take out the Rizzutos. While it's easy to believe they at least supported it, probably looking for an opening, much of the 'Ndrangheta's involvement seems vague or based on circumstantial evidence. You also had the black street gangs trying to push their way into traditional Rizzuto territory with the firebombings. I thought it was interesting that Montagna, who had an uneasy alliance with Desjardins before it all went bad, used the blacks to collect extortion payments. And it seems both sides used them to carry out some hits.
All roads lead to New York.
dixiemafia
Full Patched

Post by dixiemafia »

Wiseguy wrote:As already mentioned, there was the claim about the Bonannos being oldest family in New York. Not sure where they got that. Also Sciasci being killed to appease Gotti because he called a Gambino member a druggie? Not exactly. Also the claim that the NY families had been getting a "serious ass kicking" by Russian, Chinese, and Albanian gangsters? I'd challenge the authors to give even any examples of that.
Yea we have challenged a few things they have said about the American branch of the Mafia for a while now. They seem to just throw anything out there when it comes to the American's but they do their homework on the Canadians. Weird for sure.
Then there was the claim about the Bonannos "being in no position" to avenge Montagna. That may indeed be true but the same thing could be said about the Rizzuto's failure to avenge Sciascia. I did like how the authors basically conceded that Canadian justice is a joke.
I don't think the Bonanno's cared much about Montagna anymore as he was never coming back. Yea if he took over the GTA they had a chance to make money off him, but I'm betting even the Bonanno's didn't think Montagna would be able to take over in Montreal. The Rizzuto's got their revenge IMO when they broke away from the Bonanno's after Sciascia was killed. Until they realize their justice system is weak, they will be plagued with problems like this with no rats for years to come.
As far as the war itself, while the Rizzutos certainly had their enemies beforehand, it seems to me that the void was created with Vitos' extradition to the U.S. and the subsequent arrest of so many people in the organization (including several of the top guys) in Project Colisee.

Of course. Even Joe Bravo made a joke about the mice playing since Vito was in jail. There is nobody in their right mind that would have tried to topped Vito if he didn't go to prison. If Montagna would have came to the GTA talking and doing the same shit with Vito out and he would have dropped quickly.
The Desjardins-Mirarchi-DiMaulo group was the driving force to take out the Rizzutos. While it's easy to believe they at least supported it, probably looking for an opening, much of the 'Ndrangheta's involvement seems vague or based on circumstantial evidence. You also had the black street gangs trying to push their way into traditional Rizzuto territory with the firebombings. I thought it was interesting that Montagna, who had an uneasy alliance with Desjardins before it all went bad, used the blacks to collect extortion payments. And it seems both sides used them to carry out some hits.
Desjardins/Di Maulo was in a no win situation much like Joe Bravo was. They had to go along with Montagna or die, but if Vito lived they also die. Lucky for Raynald he was in jail when Vito got out. Ducarme Joseph was a major player with the black street gangs and I can almost guarantee he was the one behind the firebombings.
If I didn't have my case coming up, I would like to come back with you gentlemen when this is over with and really lay the law down what is going on in this country.....
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Wiseguy wrote:The Desjardins-Mirarchi-DiMaulo group was the driving force to take out the Rizzutos.
I'm curious how you came to that interpretation as Desjardins, Mirarchi and Di Maulo are merely described as conspirators. The authors pretty much reaffirm Montagna as the main antagonizer. For instance they state that Arcuri, after introducing Montagna, had opened the flood gates for the man who turned Vito's life into hell.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

I'm on my phone and it doesn't seem like I can start a new thread with Tapatalk.

Anyway, Desjardins has been warned by the police that there is a plot to murder him. I can't post the translation, but here's the article.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/justi ... ardins.php
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Also, it appears that there is tension among factions of the Montreal Mafia. Stefano Sollecito's leadership is also put into question. Recently there was a meeting between the reps of several factions. It seems the situation is very fragile at the moment. Interesting times might be ahead.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/justi ... ndetta.php