DeCavalcante Info Thread (Cont'd)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: DeCavalcante Info Thread (Cont'd)

Post by B. »

cavita wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:52 pm I find it interesting the contacts that Bacino had in the early years- also at the 1928 Cleveland summit with Bacino was Salvatore Oliveri who represented the Calumet City area. Oliveri was born in Corleone and after the Capone/Aiello wars he settled in Rockford and was listed on their membership rolls. Also, regarding the 1942 bootlegging charge that Bacino was involved in, most of the men from Kenosha at the time were early Camorra members- Ricchio, Covelli, Nudi, etc.
There were a few people at that meeting who were, or would become, significant names in New Jersey, too: Mike Russo, Salvatore and Andrew Lombardino, Emanuele Cammarata.

Bacino would seem to have been there as an aide to Pasquale Lolordo, who was a leader in Chicago by 1928, but I can't necessarily underestimate him. Though he was 26, we've heard it wasn't uncommon for members in Sicily to be made as teenagers, so a 26-year-old could be a veteran of the mafia in those days.

There were many immigrants from Ribera in Chicago back then, too, but doesn't seem to have been as tight-knit as back east. The DeGeorges (DiGiorgio) are the only other Chicago family members I know of. Not sure how captain Jim DeGeorge's falling out/fleeing to Wisconsin affected Bacino, if at all. Interesting you found those connections between Bacino and Wisconsin.
SILENT PARTNERZ
Full Patched

Post by SILENT PARTNERZ »

Chaps wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:00 pm Yes, they were related, although I'm not 100% sure of the actual relationship. I've read where he was either a nephew or great-nephew. Would love to see a family tree. I bet you could do one for 95% of the DeCavalcante Family.
That would be a good family tree. The same surnames exist at ach
generation. Many family members joined the mob.
'three can keep a secret, if two are dead'
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

On one of the DeCav tapes, Sam talks about holding a meeting at the Ribera club but his cousin tells him that, according to "Giacomino", there is too much heat from LE at the club. Giacomino is the nickname for Giacomo, so they could be referring to captain Giacomo Colletti, though it could be phonetic for Gioacchino (Amari) as well. Jake Amari was involved with the Ribera club by this time and would continue to help run the club for decades.

Another DeCav note, but Gaetano Alessi's father Vincenzo may have originally lived in Elizabeth based on some records I found. Alessi is a Bayonne-based DeCav soldier and doesn't appear to have any direct relation to NY-based Virgil Alessi, whose family came from Catania. Alessi however is a very common, old name in Ribera, so Gaetano Alessi's family could trace their roots to Ribera. His son Vincenzo Alessi is involved with construction in Bayonne and has been listed as a DeCavalcante and Gambino associate.

Edit: Comparing the records, I'm almost positive that Gaetano Alessi was born in Elizabeth prior to his family moving to Hudson county.

Edit 2: Here is more info on the younger Vincenzo/Vincent Alessi:
Commission investigators found that, for the past several years, Alessi has had a close
business relationship with a convicted racketeer and member of the DeCavalcante LCN criminal
organization. In the mid-1990s, this individual was an official of Laborers’ Union Local 1030.
Since then, he has been involved in construction and trucking and in the brokering of
construction and demolition debris-hauling jobs. Alessi’s companies, among others, paid this
individual for work he sent their way, including jobs transporting debris from construction sites
in New York and New Jersey for disposal elsewhere.

According to grand jury charges filed in New York in November 2009, a deputy chief of
the New York City Department of Sanitation was bribed to rig bids in favor of Duramix Concrete
Corp. The bribes were funneled through the deputy chief’s father-in-law, a member of the
Gambino LCN criminal organization.
Note the Gambino member mentioned is Michael Murdocco (Carmine Sciandra crew) and his son-in-law is Gambino associate Fred Grimaldi. Not sure who the DeCavalcante member Vince Alessi has been associated with, but like I've said, his father is DeCav member Gaetano Alessi who to my knowledge is still alive. This is a reference to someone else, though. Local 1030 was created and operated entirely by the DeCav family, with Schifilliti in charge of the union on Riggi's behalf, so it could be any number of guys.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

JD wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:59 pm
Blackie DiAugusta (ph)

This guy turns up multiple times, always re the Brooklyn faction. It's possibly just a bad phonetic spelling for Mickey DePietro, but the obituary for Rudy Farone's wife mentions a relative named D'Agosta. The Blackie DiAugusta mentioned as a DeCav member was made after the books opened and reported to Jimmy Rotondo, who in turn was very close to the Farone family [Rudy was Anthony Rotondo's godfather]. There's a few possible matches for him, one of which died the same month Anthony Rotondo was made, a ceremony Blackie attended, so it's not certain.
I'm guessing the one you mentioned who died the same month as Rotondo's ceremony is Edward "Blackie" D'Agosta (1924-1982). He married an Elvira Martino who died in 1973, then may have gotten remarried to a Vincenza Russo two years later but not positive it's the same guy. The sister of Mildred Farone is said to be Vee D'Agosta, so "Vee" could have been a nickname for Vincenza.

Edward "Blackie" was in a juvenile correctional facility as a teenager in Westchester in 1940, but was a Brooklyn guy who lived near Park Slope, where some other DeCavalcante NY members lived/operated including Farone. He was arrested with another guy for assault on a law enforcement officer in Coney Island in the early 1950s, with D'Agosta accused of being the main aggressor, so he definitely had a criminal background. Between this, the nickname "Blackie", and possible relation to Farone, he seems like a pretty good bet. The big factor is how his June 1982 death matches up with the Rotondo ceremony that month like you said.
Edit: The other guy in the 1951 arrest with D'Agosta was a Frank Mangano, also born 1924 from Park Slope.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

He made an article about the DeCavalcante re-inductions mentioned in the original post:

http://lcnbios.blogspot.com/2018/01/dec ... ction.html