DeCavalcante Info Thread (Cont'd)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: DeCavalcante Info Thread (Cont'd)

Post by sdeitche »

Chaps wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:41 pm Thanks again JD! Always top notch.

Regarding Badami/Monaco, anything in that time period is always up to debate. It's obvious he got alot of his info from his father such as the murder of Zeeney Collicchio.

Interesting point regarding LaRasso being targeted by Delmore. While I don't remember reading anything regarding this in LaRasso's FBI file, I can tell you that Lou was never highly regarded and, in fact, was downright despised by many in that Family. He was viewed as a shifty weasel and even Gyp DeCarlo was overheard on a wiretap telling Sam that Lou should be knocked down a peg due to the way he walked all over Sam.

Miranda being made Underboss after the big indictment is interesting as previous information has Manny Riggi and Francesco Paparato being on a panel running the family.
Curious as to the relation of Zenney with famed restaurantreur and Top Chef host Tom Colicchio, who grew up in the neighborhood.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Definitely re-opens the discussion on whether Newark and Elizabeth were ever the same group... or if they were separate, that Badami was boss of Elizabeth and not Newark.

Like you said, though, Rotondo could have read it in a book. He seems more well-read/spoken than the average gangster ("Great characters, great acting"). Does anyone remember if any books specifically said Badami gave "permission" to have Monaco killed?

Have you come across any other members with Corleone heritage aside from the Majuris? Like Antiliar said before, that could be where the Badami (who came from Corleone) connection is.

Thanks for keeping this going.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Saw a piece of info that confirms Joseph Lolordo was still a captain as of 1973. He is first identified as a captain on the 1969 lists, so he was likely promoted sometime in the mid-to-late 1960s, as there's no indication he was a captain (or even a major player) during the primetime of the DeCav tapes in the early-mid 60s. One of the more enigmatic DeCavalcante leaders given his murdered brother's role in Chicago (not to mention Joe's activities there as well) and his location in the Queens/Long Island area, which is an outlier for the DeCavalcantes. Curious if there's any overlap between his crew/operations and the other NY crews/members. His death in November 1978 could coincide with a number of promotions around this period; he also could have stepped down/retired in the years leading up to his death which would also coincide with changes in the family structure.

Do any of the Chicago experts on here have any info surrounding Phil Bacino's death in October 1974, specifically anything about his funeral? Where it was held? A list of attendees is asking for too much, but if his funeral was held in Illinois it likely attracted a number of DeCavalcante members from the east coast, possibly including Lolordo who surely had nothing to fear in the Chicago area over 40 years after he fled.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Didn't see any funeral details in the papers about Bacino. All I could find was an obit in the Chicago Tribune.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Funeral was held at Nowak Funeral Home, 480 Pulaski Road (154th Street) in Calumet City
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thanks. A Francesca Bacino Maggio died a few years back in Calumet City and her funeral too was held at the Nowak Funeral Home. Interestingly, when Filippo Bacino traveled to Italy (presumably Sicily) and returned in 1954, he was with Sylvester Maggio, who would marry Francesca Bacino. Maggio was born in Illinois and also lived in Calumet City.

Going back to Joseph Lolordo, something else about him is that he was married in Los Angeles in 1923, where both he and his wife-to-be were said to live. Anna Cascio Lolordo was born in New York in 1901 to a Vito Cascio and by 1920 Vito and his family were living in Linden, NJ, which is prime Riberesi/DeCavalcante territory right near Elizabeth. It seems by 1923 the Cascios had moved to Los Angeles; we know Joseph Lolordo and his wife Anna Cascio Lolordo would move within the next few years to Chicago, but her father Vito Cascio would stay in Los Angeles until at least 1940. Can't pinpoint where Vito was from, but it looks like he may have been from Burgio or Lucca Sicula, which are right next door to Ribera.

Pasquale Lolordo was firmly established in NYC prior to 1920, and I assume Joseph was as well, so it would make sense he would travel to California for a wife if she was something of a paesan. The question then, would be why Joseph Lolordo fled to New York instead of California when his brother was killed. The easy answer seems to be because Joseph's mafia paesans were in NJ/NYC. But also remember that Los Angeles seems to have always operated somewhat under Chicago's shadow. I'm not sure how much control the Chicago family would have had in LA circa ~1930, but it may have influenced Lolordo's decision along with his other ties to the DeCavs. I also believe Pasquale's widow Pellegrina "Lena", who fled with Joseph and Anna, had family back east.

Side note, but I believe Pasquale Lolordo's wife Pellegrina Mule was from Caltabellota, which is even closer to Ribera and where some DeCav members were from. Her father was Domenico Mule and was living with her in Queens as of 1940. Pasquale and Joseph Lolordo's mother was a DiMaria which is yet another name that has been a part of the DeCavalcante family.

Interestingly, the namesake grandson of Joseph Lolordo grew up on Long Island but moved to Park Ridge, Illinois later, indicating the Lolordos have maintained ties there even in recent years. Would make sense given they continued to have other Riberesi, including the mafiosi Bacino and DiGiorgios, out there. Bacino's descendants in Illinois and Indiana, as I've mentioned a couple of times, are still close to other Riberesi in NJ, including relatives of DeCav members.
Chaps
Straightened out

Post by Chaps »

As a side note, Phil Amari and Joseph Lolardo we’re brothers-in-law. After returning to the States from Sicily, Amari ended up in LA where he later died.
SILENT PARTNERZ
Full Patched

Post by SILENT PARTNERZ »

Chaps wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:16 am As a side note, Phil Amari and Joseph Lolardo we’re brothers-in-law. After returning to the States from Sicily, Amari ended up in LA where he later died.
Was Jake Amari related to Fillip Amari? thanks, SP
'three can keep a secret, if two are dead'
Chaps
Straightened out

Post by Chaps »

Yes, they were related, although I'm not 100% sure of the actual relationship. I've read where he was either a nephew or great-nephew. Would love to see a family tree. I bet you could do one for 95% of the DeCavalcante Family.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Does anyone know if Bacino left Chicago at the same time as Lolardo. And if so Bacino returned to Chicago and Lolardo didn't. I can see why Lolardo didn't return to Chicago for multiple reasons. But I find the Bacino going from Chicago to Jersey, possibly being boss then back to Chicago very interesting.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Bacino's wife was Jennie Maggio, and Jennie is a common English translation for Giovanna. His sister was Lucia Marrone and he had a brother Frank Bacino as well.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

I also found that in addition to his 1928 presence at the Hotel Statler summit in Cleveland in 1928, he was naturalized on December 21, 1928 in Chicago, Illinois
Further, he was charged in January 1942 in a Milwaukee, Wisconsin bootlegging case along with Alphonse Caruso from Rockford, Tony Capponi, Frank Cucunato, Frank Infusino, Ben Kalb, Joe Lescauski, Charles Cosentino, Aldo Nudi, Arthur P. Ricchio, Roy Ricchio, Emil Ricchio and Walter Schlaeger, all of Kenosha, Wisconsin, William Covelli of Aurora, Illinois, Sam Gottlieb, Ben Krakover and Eugene Presta of Chicago, Kenneth Jensen of Racine, Wisconsin, Harry P. Papavasiliu of Milwaukee, Henry Schmunk of Franksville, George Schulz, Bryant Roberts and Walter Steffen of Burlington, Wisconsin and Herman R. Yanke of Lake Geneva, Wisconsin.
For this case, Bacino was given a year and six months in federal prison.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thanks for adding that info.

I couldn't figure out Francesca "Lucia" Maggio Bacino's (b. ~1932) exact relationship out to Phil. Was that his daughter, niece, or? There is a record of her immigrating to NYC in 1955, not clear if she lived here before that. Phil's brother Luciano is alleged to have been a soldier in the Ribera family, so if she came to the US for the first time in the 1950s, "Lucia" could be Luciano's daughter. A Joseph Bacino also shows up on the FBI's dead list as a cousin of Phil Bacino but it doesn't say if he was a member. Wives and immediate relatives are often including on the dead list, but you don't typically see a cousin unless they're a member/associate.

Along with Phil Amari moving to Los Angeles where he died, at least two of Frank Majuri's siblings moved to California, with at least one living in the Los Angeles area. There are records of other Amaris living in LA, but not sure if there is a connection. I believe Maria "Mary" Amari, Phil's wife was living back in NJ by the mid-1960s, if she ever left.

The Lolordo brothers' father-in-laws Domenico Mule and Vito Cascio could have been mafiosi for all we know. Not only Lena Lolordo lived with her father Domenico Mule in Queens after fleeing Chicago, but Joseph Lolordo and his wife lived with Mule as well, along with their son and Lena's son (both named Vincenzo after Pasquale/Joseph's father). Nothing to suggest Mule/Cascio were mafiosi, but they were from DeCav towns, their daughters married prominent mafia members from Ribera, and Cascio lived in Linden early on.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

I find it interesting the contacts that Bacino had in the early years- also at the 1928 Cleveland summit with Bacino was Salvatore Oliveri who represented the Calumet City area. Oliveri was born in Corleone and after the Capone/Aiello wars he settled in Rockford and was listed on their membership rolls. Also, regarding the 1942 bootlegging charge that Bacino was involved in, most of the men from Kenosha at the time were early Camorra members- Ricchio, Covelli, Nudi, etc.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

cavita wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:52 pm I find it interesting the contacts that Bacino had in the early years- also at the 1928 Cleveland summit with Bacino was Salvatore Oliveri who represented the Calumet City area. Oliveri was born in Corleone and after the Capone/Aiello wars he settled in Rockford and was listed on their membership rolls. Also, regarding the 1942 bootlegging charge that Bacino was involved in, most of the men from Kenosha at the time were early Camorra members- Ricchio, Covelli, Nudi, etc.
That's all interesting stuff. Wasn't Paul Ricca in the Camorra before he came over. Maybe he had ties to them. Was Bacino in good standing with the Capone run Outfit?