Business or Blood: Mafia Boss Vito Rizzuto's Last War

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Lupara
Full Patched

Re: Business or Blood: Mafia Boss Vito Rizzuto's Last War

Post by Lupara »

B. wrote:seems like each new event, article, or book that comes out changes the perspective on it which is cool but also makes it hard to grasp.
The perspective of Montagna's role, as well as the involvement of Desjardins, Di Maulo and the Calabrians hasn't changed much over the years. When Nick Sr. was killed, people originaly speculated that the Calabrians were behind it. Later on Montagna, Desjardins and Di Maulo were added as suspects, which changed the perspective a bit. This new book reaffirms that they were all involved one way or another and expands upon the original theory with new details.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D2005 met Tapatalk
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

B. wrote:
johnny_scootch wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that Joe LoPresti was killed because he was using drugs. He became an embarrassment and a liability hence Sciascia's desire to clip him.
I remember that, too. With the Rizzutos and Sciascia being as conservative as they were, it sounds possible. Gotta love it, though... it's totally fine and respectable to be among the biggest drug traffickers in N.America, but not okay to party.
Partying is one thing.....giving your extremely murderous associates reason to doubt your ability to stand up to police pressure is another. LoPresti fucked up and it cost him his life. Keep in mind something like this situation also cost Sciascia his life just in a different way....the whole thing with Graziano.
dixiemafia
Full Patched

Post by dixiemafia »

B. wrote:
Cheech wrote:I don't know why but I have no interest whatsoever in this whole thing. Not sure why. Kudos to you guys for being all over it. Very well researched and thought out.
It's been one of the most interesting mob events in modern history, if not all time, but it's so overwhelming and there are so many opinions that I lose interest in it (though I speculate with my own opinions now and again). I hope someday there is enough info to paint an accurate picture of everything that happened... seems like each new event, article, or book that comes out changes the perspective on it which is cool but also makes it hard to grasp.
Correct and well said B. If you like good old school type mob stories then YOU WILL LOVE this story right here. Best thing to get caught up is read The Sixth Family first then this new book and you should be damn near caught up.

It reminds me a lot of the Gallo/Profaci war but this time the Gallo's won (Rizzuto's are the Gallo's and the Violi's are similar to Profaci) then almost a reversal what? 30 years later roughly with Montagna being deported to Canada from NYC and causing probably the first ever uprising against the Rizzuto's. Then we have a major power player that is non-Italian in Desjardins who switched sides and everyone thought Vito Rizzuto was dead once he came back to the GTA after finishing his jail term at Supermax in Colorado.

This story has everything you would want in a mob book or mob movie. Cheech you definitely need to read this whole story. You wont believe most of it until you realize this setting is not in America.

Sent from my LG G2 4GLTE via Verizon
If I didn't have my case coming up, I would like to come back with you gentlemen when this is over with and really lay the law down what is going on in this country.....
dixiemafia
Full Patched

Post by dixiemafia »

And B I forgot to add, I like everyone giving their theories because we all hear the different angles because most of us are on about 4 different fences but it is all good talk and nobody calling each other dumb or stupid. Me and Lupara have went at it but not in a bad way.

B I would love to hear your thoughts as well. Eventually we could probably figure most of it out if we come to a consensus because I don't think we'll ever get to hear the total truth. Desjardins lives like a king even in prison so no way he flips. It would have to be one of those locked up with him but I imagine all of them are afraid after De Vito was killed in prison. Now we must still wonder who killed him? Why would his name be on that sign?
Anti I'm only a member here and on BB under the same name so I'm not posting it anywhere. Thanks for posting that!!!

If I didn't have my case coming up, I would like to come back with you gentlemen when this is over with and really lay the law down what is going on in this country.....
dixiemafia
Full Patched

Post by dixiemafia »

Lupara your thoughts on the pic anti posted? I'm on my phone so I had to make different posts and I'm sorry for that.

dixiemafia
Full Patched

Post by dixiemafia »

Lupara wrote:
B. wrote:seems like each new event, article, or book that comes out changes the perspective on it which is cool but also makes it hard to grasp.
The perspective of Montagna's role, as well as the involvement of Desjardins, Di Maulo and the Calabrians hasn't changed much over the years. When Nick Sr. was killed, people originaly speculated that the Calabrians were behind it. Later on Montagna, Desjardins and Di Maulo were added as suspects, which changed the perspective a bit. This new book reaffirms that they were all involved one way or another and expands upon the original theory with new details.

Did Di Maulo's brother play golf with Vito after his brother was clipped? That is something I'd like to know too. They were close before Vito went away.

I wished we had someone close to Joe Di Maulo to see what he did through most of this. Did he just back his Bro in Law Desjardins or was he making moves as well? Did his fence riding get him killed like Joe Bravo? I don't remember seeing his name in Colisee (I think I got the name right) so was he semi-retired or still moving and shaking?

Also Cheech another cool fact about Vito, it seems he could also speak Sicilian, English, French and Spanish. That's pretty damn impressive for a thug. Imagine John Gotti's flair but Carlo Gambino's "hide in the shadows" movements that kept him on top. No way any of this happens if Massino never flips.

Lupara does the book mention who this new guy is?

Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

No they don't mention a name, most likely because that individual doesn't have a criminal record. They only describe him as a newcomer and middle aged. He was brought to Vito's old Mafia haunts by Rocco Sollecito. It sounds rather vague to me.

And Desjardins doesn't live like a king in prison. Recently he complained through his laywer about his harsh prison conditions.

I don't know what to make of antimafia's picture. De Vito was most certainly poisoned and even though he might have come to terms with Rizzuto, that doesn't rule out that he had a hand in it nevertheless. De Vito might very well have been killed by Rizzuto's successors for being seen as a future threat.

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

dixiemafia wrote:And B I forgot to add, I like everyone giving their theories because we all hear the different angles because most of us are on about 4 different fences but it is all good talk and nobody calling each other dumb or stupid. Me and Lupara have went at it but not in a bad way.

B I would love to hear your thoughts as well. Eventually we could probably figure most of it out if we come to a consensus because I don't think we'll ever get to hear the total truth. Desjardins lives like a king even in prison so no way he flips. It would have to be one of those locked up with him but I imagine all of them are afraid after De Vito was killed in prison. Now we must still wonder who killed him? Why would his name be on that sign?
Anti I'm only a member here and on BB under the same name so I'm not posting it anywhere. Thanks for posting that!!!

Oh yeah, basically everyone who talks about it on here has a good head on their shoulders.

I've posted some of my thoughts over the years and I was actually one of the ones along with JoeyCigars who was open to the possibility that Montagna was involved before the news about him officially dropped, while some of my other assumptions were wrong. What I've always stressed is that Montagna must have been acting under the Bonanno flag, whether with direct support from NY or not, and if he was promising LoPresti membership in the Bonannos then that just helps the point. It's clear that the other movers up in Montreal didn't care about the Bonanno affiliation as much as they did in decades past, but the core group in Montreal were made into the Bonanno organization and while that might mean nothing when talking about the actual rackets and operations in Montreal, it does mean something when discussing their membership in Cosa Nostra.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

dixiemafia wrote:Best thing to get caught up is read The Sixth Family first then this new book and you should be damn near caught up.
I'd suggest squeezing Mafia Inc. in after Sixth Family and before Business or Blood. 3 top notch books.
dixiemafia
Full Patched

Post by dixiemafia »

Lupara wrote:And Desjardins doesn't live like a king in prison. Recently he complained through his laywer about his harsh prison conditions.
Well of course. If you are used to having everything (which it has been said before he was running things in prison) and they take anything away from you of course you'll get your lawyer to lower the "harsh" conditions. There was even worries of a prison break for Desjardins when they were transporting him to court, so that tells you he had to have known about the plot as well.

And we both know Canada prisons can't be too harsh because nobody flips.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Nobody flips because of the relatively short sentences criminals serve for crimes such as drug dealing or even murder.

johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

dixiemafia wrote:does the book mention who this new guy is?
Dixie...it's the most intriguing paragraph in the book. It's in the postscript...here it is

"Police surveillance officers were startled in early 2014 to see Vito's last consigliere Rocco Sollecito making the rounds with a fresh face in the milieu. This man has a clean criminal record but enjoyed a tight, affectionate tie to Vito. Sollecito seemed bent on introducing him to everyone who was anyone in his world. As he made the rounds with Sollecito, the man carried himself with the utmost seriousness, as one might expect from the new boss of a major crime family."

vague like lupara said.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

johnny_scootch wrote:
dixiemafia wrote:does the book mention who this new guy is?
Dixie...it's the most intriguing paragraph in the book. It's in the postscript...here it is

"Police surveillance officers were startled in early 2014 to see Vito's last consigliere Rocco Sollecito making the rounds with a fresh face in the milieu. This man has a clean criminal record but enjoyed a tight, affectionate tie to Vito. Sollecito seemed bent on introducing him to everyone who was anyone in his world. As he made the rounds with Sollecito, the man carried himself with the utmost seriousness, as one might expect from the new boss of a major crime family."

vague like lupara said.
Yeah, that's the same type of speculation that led to people calling Frankie Flowers the new boss of Philadelphia in the 1980's, when he was actually an associate. Definitely interesting, though.
dixiemafia
Full Patched

Post by dixiemafia »

Lupara wrote:Nobody flips because of the relatively short sentences criminals serve for crimes such as drug dealing or even murder.

Don't give me that. Even if their prisons were hard even 10 years for murder in a horrible prison would cause someone to flip. Their sentences are a joke just like their prisons are.

I would love to see who this mystery man is. Makes you wonder are they setting themselves up for a new book or is it true?
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

I take it with a pine of salt. A middle aged newcomer without a criminal record doesn't fit the description as someone who is going to take over a crime family, and be accepted. I still think it is going to be Stefano Sollecito.