Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Re: Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Post by johnny_scootch »

Frank wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:25 pm Thank you that clears up alot of the Violi history. Now wouldn't it make sense that the Violi children would have been responsible for the hits on the Rizzuto Family..
I’m not sure what kind of power Violis kids have but you would need a fuckload of it to kill the Rizzutos plus all those other guys.

If it was them there has to be some powerful guys backing them up. A lot more powerful than what’s left of the Todaro Family.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

johnny_scootch wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:07 am
Frank wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:25 pm Thank you that clears up alot of the Violi history. Now wouldn't it make sense that the Violi children would have been responsible for the hits on the Rizzuto Family..
I’m not sure what kind of power Violis kids have but you would need a fuckload of it to kill the Rizzutos plus all those other guys.

If it was them there has to be some powerful guys backing them up. A lot more powerful than what’s left of the Todaro Family.
+1
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Yes you make sense of the situation. I guess we will get more answers to the Canadian hits that have been happening for the last almost 20 years. We have Desjardin Montagna as for sure. Probably DiMaulo. We don't know if these are separate or all backed by one group.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Sorry should be almost 10 years of hits
Laurentian
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Laurentian »

Laurentian wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:03 am Loris Cavaliere, convicted of gangsterism earlier this year and sentenced to 34 months, will address Parole Board in order to obtain an early release.

Cavaliere, a criminal lawyer and counsel for the Rizzuto organization, was arrested in November 2015.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/justi ... ration.php

----

Here is an update on Loris Cavaliere :

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-n ... erism-plea
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Here is a question -- who are some individuals/groups in NYC that the Montreal crew has had ties to and/or done business with post-Sciascia except for the Bonannos and possibly the Gambinos?

Cicale talks about Rizzuto maintaining ties to the Bonanno family after the Sciascia hit and particularly Basciano around the time Basciano was becoming the top figure in the family. He also mentions Montagna collecting tribute from Montreal on behalf of the Bonanno leadership. Montagna then became acting boss in NYC -- if he had already been a go-between for NYC/Montreal, it seems likely he maintained these ties during his run at the top, leading up to his deportation and attempted takeover of Montreal.

We know the Montreal crew has been largely independent and has had a great deal of control, influence, and wealth in Canada, but through both the Cotroni and Rizzuto eras we have seen them maintain "practical" ties to their NYC counterparts for drug trafficking and maybe some other operations, as both eras of leadership were clearly looking beyond their immediate area in drug operations. If the Montreal crew didn't care to be Bonanno members anymore, it seems they would at least maintain a relationship for financial reasons.

So, assuming they severed ties with the Bonannos (which is seeming more and more like a myth), who else would they have done business with in NYC? Felice mentioned the Gambinos possibly usurping Montreal, but now we have this recent indictment indicating that the Bonannos have some kind of presence in Montreal. Is this recent taped induction an example of the Bonannos maintaining influence over the traditional Montreal crew, or are the Bonannos essentially starting from the ground up in trying to establish a new presence there by inducting this guy? With both the historical Montreal crew being Bonanno members and this new inductee being a Bonanno member in Montreal, is there even much of a distinction?
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

B. wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:40 pmWe know the Montreal crew has been largely independent and has had a great deal of control, influence, and wealth in Canada, but through both the Cotroni and Rizzuto eras we have seen them maintain "practical" ties to their NYC counterparts for drug trafficking and maybe some other operations, as both eras of leadership were clearly looking beyond their immediate area in drug operations. If the Montreal crew didn't care to be Bonanno members anymore, it seems they would at least maintain a relationship for financial reasons.
I think this is probably the most accurate summation of the Montreal decina's relationship historically.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

The situation seems strange in the fact Montagna was involved in trying to take over Montreal. I would think that if the Rizzutos we're part of the Bonanno Family, then I just don't know why they didn't name him acting captain or boss of the Rizzutos. I would think with his position as acting boss he wouldn't have to partner with Desjardin. He would already have alot more pull in the Bonanno Family.
Doobeez
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Doobeez »

Interesting point B makes about Rizzuto and Basciano's relationship that really goes back before the Captains were hit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Vinny came up in Trinchera's crew, was also Trinchera's driver, and iirc, may have been the only one at Bono's wedding on not Amico Nostra and who wasnt wearing a tie.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Frank wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:27 pm The situation seems strange in the fact Montagna was involved in trying to take over Montreal. I would think that if the Rizzutos we're part of the Bonanno Family, then I just don't know why they didn't name him acting captain or boss of the Rizzutos. I would think with his position as acting boss he wouldn't have to partner with Desjardin. He would already have alot more pull in the Bonanno Family.
He partnered with DiMaulo as well who was a Bonanno member. The Arcuris may very well be Bonanno members as well. There are definitely indications that Montagna had the backing from other Bonanno members in Montreal, at least initially.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

My point is why didn't Montagna take over Montreal through the Bonanno boss that took over as acting boss for him. For him not to go through proper mafia channels was just asking to be whacked even if there plan had worked.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Frank wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:58 am My point is why didn't Montagna take over Montreal through the Bonanno boss that took over as acting boss for him. For him not to go through proper mafia channels was just asking to be whacked even if there plan had worked.
When Montagna first arrived in Montreal he met with Nick Rizzuto, Nick Rizzuto sent word back to NY that he wouldn't follow Sal and that Sal was not his boss. Major insult that probably spurred Montagna to go the route he did.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Frank.....in essence the Bonanno Family of NY had little to no real power over the Montreal crew post Sciascia. Montreal still sent the money south but I'm sure that was just to keep their status and business relationships within the family and with other families in good order.
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Post by Lupara »

Frank wrote:My point is why didn't Montagna take over Montreal through the Bonanno boss that took over as acting boss for him. For him not to go through proper mafia channels was just asking to be whacked even if there plan had worked.
When Montagna came to Montreal the Bonanno crew did not have a capo for a decade and was disfunctional. The Rizzutos had amazed a great deal of influence in Canada on their own and build up an organization apart from the Bonanno crew. Other groups with no direct Bonanno affiliation had also formed and then there were groups outside of Montreal who were affiliated with the Rizzutos. The climate had changed so much so that Montagna could not simply step in and be the boss of Montreal like Galante once did.

Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Montreal Mafia status - Post Rizzuto Era

Post by Lupara »

johnny_scootch wrote:
Frank wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:58 am My point is why didn't Montagna take over Montreal through the Bonanno boss that took over as acting boss for him. For him not to go through proper mafia channels was just asking to be whacked even if there plan had worked.
When Montagna first arrived in Montreal he met with Nick Rizzuto, Nick Rizzuto sent word back to NY that he wouldn't follow Sal and that Sal was not his boss. Major insult that probably spurred Montagna to go the route he did.
Major insult indeed, but also an indication that they didn't break off from the family. There was no need for that statement had Rizzuto been a boss of his own. It showed insecurity and fear and it was also a hint that he was prepared to accept someone else who he respected as his superior.