Arrests in NY, induction ceremony taped

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Frank
Full Patched

Re: Arrests in NY, induction ceremony taped

Post by Frank »

Yes I too have read that he was with St. Louis
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Can someone fill me in about this Cantarella? What did he say about Massino, Scascia, etc.?
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

CabriniGreen wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:02 am
I agree with Johnny Scootch, him criticizing Cantarella is just really him questioning Massinos judgement, basically talking sideways.
I see the situation as similar to the Eppolito's complaining to Paul Castellano about one of his key guys Nino Gaggi. We all know how that ended for them. Notice drugs played a role in both also.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

Lupara wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:08 am Can someone fill me in about this Cantarella? What did he say about Massino, Scascia, etc.?

Stroccos posted it in the fbi files forum. He says essentially Sciascia was killed for questioning TG being a capo due to him being a coke head. Cantarella says that what Massino told him directly. Massino says Sciascia was killed becuase he killed another made mans son.
Guy Fatato said on a tape-recording that Franzese's vig on a $30,000 debt was "like social security" for him. - GohnJotti
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Arrests in NY, induction ceremony taped

Post by Lupara »

Cheech wrote:
Lupara wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:08 am Can someone fill me in about this Cantarella? What did he say about Massino, Scascia, etc.?

Stroccos posted it in the fbi files forum. He says essentially Sciascia was killed for questioning TG being a capo due to him being a coke head. Cantarella says that what Massino told him directly. Massino says Sciascia was killed becuase he killed another made mans son.
Thanks. Didn't know that the common story that we know came from him specifically.

Considering Massino's massive ego, I think he killed Sciascia for his own selfish reasons and used the other possible reason (being somehow involved in Cotroni's sons murder) as an excuse. However, I wonder why he made such a big deal of keeping his involvement a secret to others in the family (the Rizzutos, etc.) when he could use the killing of a made man's son as a legitimate reason. It doesn't really seem to add up.

Slumpy
Straightened out

Post by Slumpy »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:14 pm
Cheech wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:58 pm
Hailbritain wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:44 am This is what JD uncovered

Older info mentions that Massino talked about gerlando Sciascia's murder coming about because he killed a Canadian member's son without permission. Don't think it was ever posted because there was so little to go on but here's more detail: Sciascia's nephew got in a fight with Frank Cotroni's son. The nephew got his jaw broken and in retaliation Sciascia had Cotroni's son murdered. This is the main reason (maybe only reason) he was killed. Massino claimed the Graziano situation reflected worse on Graziano than on Sciascia, and it was pressure from Cotroni or his supporters that led to Sciascia being taken out.
Fwiw Cantarella testimony says it was due to him auestioning tg as a captain
I wouldn't be surprised if the Sciascia hit was done as Montreal was getting more and more independent and was Massinos way of reexerting control. And Graziano or Violi were just excuses.

Personally I think Massino is full of shit. Sonny black, mirra etc. I don't believe any of his 'reason's'.
I think you're right... Joe LoPresti A bonanno made guy was murdered in Montreal ~1992 and Sciascia defended the unsanctioned hit to Vitale. About a year later Montreal refused to send guys to carry out a hit in NYC and George supported this decision "publicly" as well. Massino probably saw the writing on the wall, and maybe he didn't like Sciascia because he was getting a bit big for his britches and was complaining about one of his capos (graziano) as well.... But yeah, I think Massino saw Montreal was becoming increasingly independent.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Slumpy wrote:About a year later Montreal refused to send guys to carry out a hit in NYC and George supported this decision "publicly" as well.
Could you elaborate? I don't remember having read about this before.

I'm not so sure how much Montreal played a role in Sciascia's murder. If it was to re-exert control it didn't play out that way and actually had the opposite effect. Massino also didn't seem to show that much interest in Montreal based on the fact that it took him two years to send an envoy.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

I have always wondered what happened to Ragusa. I recall when he was arrested the first time after being on the run. There's a pic of him making the perp walk with dyed hair. Don't know why but that image, and his case, stayed with me.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

I don't believe Montreal had anything to do with the Sciascia hit.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Ive always found it interesting that Rizzuto was used in the 3 Capo's hit. I would suggest it was probably to test loyalty, exert control after the Rizzuto's hit Violi.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Yes and look at the loyalty Massino returned to him for doing the hit.
Laurentian
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Laurentian »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:18 pm Ive always found it interesting that Rizzuto was used in the 3 Capo's hit. I would suggest it was probably to test loyalty, exert control after the Rizzuto's hit Violi.
Of course! It is also alleged that after the accomplishment of the three murders he was officially inducted in the Bonanno family.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Also I would bet that if Rizzuto was still alive, Massino would have to be real careful. Rizzuto seamed to be powerful enough to track him down.
Slumpy
Straightened out

Post by Slumpy »

Lupara wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:51 am
Slumpy wrote:About a year later Montreal refused to send guys to carry out a hit in NYC and George supported this decision "publicly" as well.
Could you elaborate? I don't remember having read about this before.

I'm not so sure how much Montreal played a role in Sciascia's murder. If it was to re-exert control it didn't play out that way and actually had the opposite effect. Massino also didn't seem to show that much interest in Montreal based on the fact that it took him two years to send an envoy.
I would have to get the books out, but it's in either Business or Blood or the Sixth Family.

I can't really comment as to Massino's motivations, but people often make moves that have unintended consequences, or maybe it was less about reexerting control as it was a fuck you to the Rizzutos. It would be an incredible coincidence if the Rizzutos were breaking away and Sciascia was murdered for unrelated reasons.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Didn't someone post something about the Rizzuto's and Cotroni not liking Massino as boss and starting to discuss a change in leadership