Info from San Jose informants 1960s

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Info from San Jose informants 1960s

Post by B. »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:24 am Ever read the book "Honor Thy Father" by Gay Talese? It all came from Bill Bonanno during the so-called "Banana War."
In addition, there are documents on MF from a Bonanno informant that someone (maybe Ed) figured out were from Bill. This informant began giving info when his blood family lost standing in the organization, and later he stopped providing info when the war settled down. The contact agent for the CI was an agent that Bill Bonanno was known to have been friendly with during that period.

I'm not sure that this informant I originally posted about in this topic was Bill, only that Bill was an informant and his last book's intro on mafia origins matches this informant's description of mafia origins 40+ years later. It's not just that it's the same basic story -- it emphasizes the same exact points in a way I've never seen from another source.

Side note, but Magaddino claims Joe Bonanno himself was "too close" to law enforcement. He talks about Bonanno going out drinking with cops somewhere (maybe upstate, where JB had farm property). On one of the Magaddino transcripts, he cites this as a reason why Joe Bonanno wasn't told about the Apalachin meeting. Doesn't JB say that he wasn't invited in his book as well or am I misremembering? Not saying he was an informant, only that he may have been a little bit loose long before he decided to publish his memoir.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:24 am Ever read the book "Honor Thy Father" by Gay Talese? It all came from Bill Bonanno during the so-called "Banana War."
Yeah I have the book. It came out in 1971 after Talese interviewd Bill B. So we are not talking here about him being an informant in the traditionel way, like a member talking to LE, but rather Bill talking to an author? And are you sure these talks took place during the so called "Bananas war" and not after? The book is awful by the way. Riddled with factual errors.
There you have it, never printed before.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

In addition, there are documents on MF from a Bonanno informant that someone (maybe Ed) figured out were from Bill. This informant began giving info when his blood family lost standing in the organization, and later he stopped providing info when the war settled down. The contact agent for the CI was an agent that Bill Bonanno was known to have been friendly with during that period.
I would love to see those documents. Ed, if you see this, could you provide a link to them please.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

No, there's a pretty strong case that he was providing information to the FBI during the Banana War.

As far as "process not a thing" you can take some mushrooms and get your head around it if you go back to the very basics of the mafia being a criminal freemasonry in which members can bounce off each other. Be it wanting to enter an industry and meeting a member who is, or having someone killed while you make yourself known publicly at a bar or party so as to have an albi.

But "process" and "system" cannot be construed as the same thing. JB makes it sound like a naturally occurring Sicilian phenomenon whereas BB (more accurately) describes it as a formal criminal organization. He discredits his father quite a bit despite his best efforts to try and emulate him. JB claims he left AZ "out of his world," BB comes around and says his dad had 3 crews there, you get the picture.

There are some here who will (rightfully) argue his worth. He did know his father, interviewed him and was probably given a history lesson. But you really have to sift through alot of bullshit. Like the day Roselli was on the rag in prison so he just confided to Bill Bonanno that he was the second grassy knoll shooter that killed JFK on behalf of Sam Giancana. It makes it difficult to use him as a reference on others events that we know are true.

In 98 while promoting his book he did an online question and answer and didn't answer shit.
Q: When did you join the mafia?
A: Having a ceremony was a mere formality because I was born a mafioso.
Ed
Straightened out

Post by Ed »

Here is the link to the original article from 2011.

http://mafiahistory.us/a021/f_bbonanno.html

I whipped it up just before Last Testament was published. I wanted the article out before then just in case Bill Bonanno admitted in the book that he was an informant. (which he didn't of course). In my own mind, it’s pretty clear that he talked.

Here are the two most damning documents:

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... erson%2522

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... 2&tab=page

As for the San Jose Crime Family informants, here’s an article I wrote about them.

http://mafiahistory.us/a022/f_nocalinf.html

I think Peter Misuraca, Sal Costanza and Frank Sorce are your best bets. Sal Taranto was the San Francisco informant. (A funny aside, Misuraca and Costanza were both sponsored into the LCN by John Misuraca of the Colombo Crime Family. Godfather to two informants, that must be some kind of record)

As for Bill Bonanno and San Jose, going off memory, there is some confidential info shared about Genovese (I think the brother-in-law) that looks like it could only come from someone very close. I never included it because that person is still alive and isn't a criminal.

I never got the impression that any of the San Jose Intel on MF could be linked to Bill Bonanno, but you never know. Probably worth exploring.

I did catch one quote in a MF document that is very similar to a quote in Bill Bonanno's memoir.

In the MF document, the Banana War informant justifies carrying a gun because "he would be rather caught by the police with one than by others without one".
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... 4&tab=page

On page 199 of Bound by Honor, Bonanno basically says the same thing.

BTW, Tom Hunt has given me a section on his website called "Rat Trap" for my collection of articles on informants. There are only a couple articles there now but more are being added every month. For the mob historians, I've included some interesting stuff that Louis Fratto told the FBI. The section will eventually include all my articles from Informer. An updated version of the Bill Bonanno article is going up shortly.

Hopefully you guys check it out!

http://mafiahistory.us/rattrap/rattrap-idx.html
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Thanks Ed. That's very kind of you to respond at my request. And yes at first glance it sure looks like the informant was Bill Bonanno. I wasn't aware of the existance of these documents.
LcnBios
Straightened out

Post by LcnBios »

Ed wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:18 am I whipped it up just before Last Testament was published. I wanted the article out before then just in case Bill Bonanno admitted in the book that he was an informant. (which he didn't of course). In my own mind, it’s pretty clear that he talked.
The evidence in your article alone provides a very strong case, and there's even more available that makes it pretty open and shut. Here's a few excerpts from an early interview. There had been no official designation as an informant at the time so, as with any standard interview of a subject, the name was kept in.

It's shortly afterwards that a new CI turns up giving a large amount of info on the conflict from the perspective of the Bonanno side. At the time this CI was noted to be heavily pre-occupied with negotiating terms for Joseph Bonanno's surrender to authorities for contempt. He continued sporadically providing info right up to the very morning Bill Bonanno went in to serve a Federal prison sentence in 1/71.

VVV Ed: No problem, check PM.
Last edited by LcnBios on Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
Straightened out

Post by Ed »

HK, no problem.

JD,
That settles that. Thanks JD. Do you mind if I incorporate these documents, or any others you might be willing to share with me, in my article with due credit? They basically turn Bonanno from strong suspect into a slam-dunk. I can PM you my email. Pls let me know. best regards
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Also notice that he states that Jerry Catena is Genovese acting boss. Not Eboli or Lombardo.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:04 am
Yeah I have the book. It came out in 1971 after Talese interviewd Bill B. So we are not talking here about him being an informant in the traditionel way, like a member talking to LE, but rather Bill talking to an author? And are you sure these talks took place during the so called "Bananas war" and not after? The book is awful by the way. Riddled with factual errors.
Anyone who is willing to speak at length with a New York Times and magazine writer would not have a problem speaking with law enforcement. Anyway, glad that Ed and JD joined in to remove any doubt.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Just think there was almost a CI on the Commission
The Greek
Straightened out

Post by The Greek »

Amazing thread!
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

cavita wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:02 am
cavita wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:53 am Many of the files I have from 1983 on can't quite determine where Rockford lies in the scheme of things- the bureau, which identified Buscemi as the underboss in 1964 through 1981 now suddenly can't figure out if he is Rockford underboss, a Chicago LCN member or a Sicilan Maffia member as they put it. Numerous times in the 1990s files they describe a Sicilian mafia faction in Rockford as if the family was swallowed up by the Sicilians and then there is the above file that stated Rockford faction of Chicago. It's not black and white and that's what is frustrating in the research.
@Snakes: do you have the continuation of your document that has the inclusion of all the criminal intelligence information regarding the Rockford branch including its members and associates?
I do not have the exact file that they are referring to above but to avoid hijacking this thread I'll send you a PM and we can talk more about it there.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Sounds good...thanks!
jimmyb
Straightened out

Post by jimmyb »

Chris Christie wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:18 am No, there's a pretty strong case that he was providing information to the FBI during the Banana War.

As far as "process not a thing" you can take some mushrooms and get your head around it if you go back to the very basics of the mafia being a criminal freemasonry in which members can bounce off each other. Be it wanting to enter an industry and meeting a member who is, or having someone killed while you make yourself known publicly at a bar or party so as to have an albi.

But "process" and "system" cannot be construed as the same thing. JB makes it sound like a naturally occurring Sicilian phenomenon whereas BB (more accurately) describes it as a formal criminal organization. He discredits his father quite a bit despite his best efforts to try and emulate him. JB claims he left AZ "out of his world," BB comes around and says his dad had 3 crews there, you get the picture.

There are some here who will (rightfully) argue his worth. He did know his father, interviewed him and was probably given a history lesson. But you really have to sift through alot of bullshit. Like the day Roselli was on the rag in prison so he just confided to Bill Bonanno that he was the second grassy knoll shooter that killed JFK on behalf of Sam Giancana. It makes it difficult to use him as a reference on others events that we know are true.

In 98 while promoting his book he did an online question and answer and didn't answer shit.
Q: When did you join the mafia?
A: Having a ceremony was a mere formality because I was born a mafioso.
I know the publisher pressured Bonanno into writing about JFK stuff. I'm not excusing it, but that was publisher's idea. Not trying to defend BB, just offering an interesting side note.