Chippy Scivola dead

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Chippy Scivola dead

Post by Wiseguy »

Passages: Longtime organized crime figure Alfred ‘Chippy’ Scivola…
By Jennifer Bogdan, The Providence Journal
July 16, 2017

Scivola, of Johnston, completed his last stint in prison in January 2015, according to the Federal Bureau of Prisons, for his role in a large-scale racketeering scheme involving several strip clubs in Providence.

Alfred “Chippy” Scivola, a longtime organized crime figure who was in and out of jail for much of his adult life, has died.

Scivola, 76, of Johnston, died July 14 at Rhode Island Hospital, according to his obituary.

He completed his last stint in prison in January 2015, according to the Federal Bureau of Prisons, for his role in a large-scale racketeering scheme involving several strip clubs in Providence. At the time, prosecutors said Scivola had been extorting “protection payments” from strip club owners since the mid-1980s.

Scivola was also sent to prison for two years in 2005 for attempted extortion of a strip club owner in Stamford, Conn. In 1983, he was sentenced to three years in prison after he pleaded guilty to receiving a truckload of La-Z-Boy recliners.

He reportedly suffered from respiratory problems, diabetes and heart disease.

Scivola is also the former owner of a private social club on Atwells Avenue. In 1998, state police raided the club and arrested Scivola on bookmaking charges. At the time, law enforcement described him as a “made member of the Patriarca crime family ... who accepts illegal wagers at his social club on a daily basis.”

His obituary describes him as “the cherished grandfather of six and great-grandfather of one.”

Scivola is survived by his wife, Loretta Scivola; three children, Alfred Scivola, Anthony Scivola and Lisa Balastracci; and three step-children, Mark A. Pezza, Lisa R. Pezza and Robin A. Rocha, according to his obituary.

A funeral will take place at 10 a.m. Tuesday at Holy Ghost Church in Providence.

http://www.providencejournal.com/news/2 ... scivola-76
All roads lead to New York.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: Chippy Scivola dead

Post by Wiseguy »

That leaves only 9 members left alive by my count in the Providence wing of the family.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Wiseguy wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:33 pm That leaves only 9 members left alive by my count in the Providence wing of the family.

And only 2 of those are under the age of 70 (both in their late 60s). I think it is safe to say that Providence is finished as a faction.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

I remember a video by local providence news a couple of yeas back I think where a police officer said only a handful of Providence mobsters are active. Agree with Pogo, sounds like they are finished.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

In 2011 LE had Providence at only 1 or 2 active members with no struture. Since then some guy's got out of prison but several others died and 1 flipped.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Eddie mush
Straightened out

Post by Eddie mush »

Thats y all these reports make me laugh. They have the underboss and consigliere down there hahahaha

Y wud boston even need them ?. They cud break apart at this point and just have a boston family especially now that the strip club shake downs are over . How much money can 2 soldiers kick up taking action??
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

Eddie mush wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:28 am Thats y all these reports make me laugh. They have the underboss and consigliere down there hahahaha

Y wud boston even need them ?. They cud break apart at this point and just have a boston family especially now that the strip club shake downs are over . How much money can 2 soldiers kick up taking action??
Exactly. Isn't it only Scott who's reporting that? Not exactly reliable is it.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Mannocchio was the boss, of course. But since then, the leadership has been in Boston.

Up until about 2011 the Providence faction was very active. St. Laurent, Sciarra, DeLuca, Guglielmetti, Achille, Scivola, Lato, Manocchio, and Marrapese (as well as a bunch of associates) were all indicted in various cases that included illegal gambling, loansharking, extortion of local adult businesses, drug trafficking, as well as a few cases involving the Laborers Union.

However, in 2012, the FBI considered the LCN in Rhode Island was "substantially minimized to the point of being almost non-existent" after recent indictments. This was echoed by the state police in 2014 who described the LCN in Rhode Island as "completely diminished," being a "2 1/2 or a 3" compared to the 10 it once was.

Since 2011, there has obviously been a big drop off in cases out of Providence. Now I, as much as anyone, am wary about premature predictions. And it's certainly possible for a few old members and some associates to still be active. But the family being basically a Boston operation may be pretty close, if not already here.
scott22
Straightened out

Post by scott22 »

Bro, not very reliable?

Who broke the Chippy died story again? Oh right, it was me. Who broke the DiSarro story....oh right, me.

Scott
NYNighthawk
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by NYNighthawk »

So does NY take over the extortion now of these strip clubs from Connecticut up to RI? Which family will make the move? My bet is on the Gambinos because they have members up there.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

scott22 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:29 am Bro, not very reliable?

Who broke the Chippy died story again? Oh right, it was me. Who broke the DiSarro story....oh right, me.

Scott
Just curious, what do you mean by who broke the Chippy story? The original post links to an article written by Jennifer Bogdan.
There you have it, never printed before.
scott22
Straightened out

Post by scott22 »

I broke the news the day Chippy died last Friday, the rest of the outlets followed my reporting days later. Miss Bogdan wrote her piece more than 72 hours after I posted mine.

SMB
tmarotta
Straightened out

Post by tmarotta »

It seems Matty Gugs and Joe Achille might be the only two active guys on the street now. Does anyone else remember a report from a few years ago that Joe Achille was sick, possibly cancer?
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:10 am In 2011 LE had Providence at only 1 or 2 active members with no struture. Since then some guy's got out of prison but several others died and 1 flipped.

Pogo
Well they must have plenty of associates to have bookmaking. You really cant make any kind of money in bookmaking unless you have at least a dozen or so guys taken bets. Or maybe the providence guys don't have a book and bet into boston.
Eddie mush
Straightened out

Post by Eddie mush »

I can see matty being official UB and running all or providece in a street boss type capacity since there numbers are so low . But 2 admin spots dosnet seem realistic to me. But wat do i Know