Banana Split

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Giacomo_Vacari
Straightened out

Re: Banana Split

Post by Giacomo_Vacari »

That Buffa passed around the early 1960s. He may have been the Profaci familys first consiglieri, but stepped down after WW2, Salvatore Profaci took his place. I know the Cerrito brothers and Emanuele Figlia attended his funeral. But at the time he was only a capo and was well respected.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

Giacomo_Vacari wrote:Bronx, that was the Profaci capo Tony Buffa. The Buffa I was talking about belonged to a sicilian clan, don't know which one. I don't believe they are related either, but they might be. Daniel was Buffa gopher really, then Tony moved back to Sicily during early 1990s, and Bonanno hooked up with some LA members in the drug bussiness.
interesting , Giacomo..
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

Giacomo, which one had a son vinny
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

the buffa that had a partnership in the pisa was a profaci guy, you are correct. vinny was day to day in pisa
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

If I remember corrctly, I read somewhere (was it in the Scarpa files???) that Antonio Buffa (the Profaci guy) was the consigliere til he died. I´m not sure if Salvatore Profaci was ever consigliere, but we shouldn´t rule that out. Sal died in 1956, could be possible that Buffa regained his position as consigliere after his death. JD posted once about a Profaci member named Joe Buffa, possibly a brother. JD mentioned that this Joe could be identical with Antonio.
There you have it, never printed before.
Giacomo_Vacari
Straightened out

Post by Giacomo_Vacari »

I don't know much about the sicilian, other than he had strong connections in the town or Trapani. I think the Profaci Buffa had a son Vincent, not sure. I know he retired himself, but came out of retirement to smooth the Profaci and Gallo factions, before the kidnapping took place.

Back to the Bonanno split, one of the targets was Giuseppe Buccellato, the other one was someone close to Paul. Paul and Peter were top on the list but they were in hiding. At the restaurant, Frank told Tommy he should go into hiding immediately. Someone tipped off Gaspare at a phone nearby, and if Tommy went into hiding then they would not get another chance at him, so Gaspare made that split decision.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

From what i recall there was a joe buffa
jimmyb
Straightened out

Post by jimmyb »

Giacomo_Vacari wrote:I don't know much about the sicilian, other than he had strong connections in the town or Trapani. I think the Profaci Buffa had a son Vincent, not sure. I know he retired himself, but came out of retirement to smooth the Profaci and Gallo factions, before the kidnapping took place.

Back to the Bonanno split, one of the targets was Giuseppe Buccellato, the other one was someone close to Paul. Paul and Peter were top on the list but they were in hiding. At the restaurant, Frank told Tommy he should go into hiding immediately. Someone tipped off Gaspare at a phone nearby, and if Tommy went into hiding then they would not get another chance at him, so Gaspare made that split decision.
I always had the impression Joe Buccellato was neutral during the Banana wars. Am I following this correctly---Gaspare Magaddino was gunning for Buccellato too? This could get real interesting. Recall Ronsisvalle's ambiguous testimonial at the OC hearings on heroin trafficking. I always interpreted it that the Buccellato clan sided with Joe Bonanno. When I asked the Tuscon Bonannos about this, they said they always understood that JB got along with the Buccellatos.

But if you look at it, one can easily read Ronsisvalle's testimony the opposite way. I can definitely see why the Buccellatos would want Gaspare Magaddino out of the way, but why would they side with a faction backed by Stefano Magaddino? Nobody hated the Buccellatos more than Stefano.
Giacomo_Vacari
Straightened out

Post by Giacomo_Vacari »

Cause the faction was also backed by Gambino, Colombo, and Lucchese (secretly). The Magaddinos in CDG we're with Joe Bonanno, and against Stefano Magaddino. True later after Bonanno left to Arizona, the Bonanno and Buccellato got along great.
DPG
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by DPG »

dixiemafia wrote:But Joe had that illegitimate child in Hot Springs Arkansas remember? :lol:
Where in the world did this come from and why have I never heard of it.

I've never even found anything link Joe to Hot Springs, not even a comfirmed visit to the city.
I get it....first rule of fight club.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

DPG wrote:
dixiemafia wrote:But Joe had that illegitimate child in Hot Springs Arkansas remember? :lol:
Where in the world did this come from and why have I never heard of it.

I've never even found anything link Joe to Hot Springs, not even a comfirmed visit to the city.
He was joking. That guy is a fraud, and an idiot.
DPG
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by DPG »

Can you tell me the "story" at least? Was this a poster?
I get it....first rule of fight club.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:39 am
Hailbritain wrote:Great info Hairy , was Nick alfano not named as sciacca's consigliere ??
Alfano was identified as the consigliere some years later. I believe he succeeded Adamo in 1969.
Turns out Alfano was only acting for Joe DiFilippi. He was never made official consigliere. He didn´t want the position. In 1972, Nicky Marangello was made consigliere, after DiFilippi´s death.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

To go back to the start of the Bonanno problems, I've read that Gaspare DiGregorio was both the one who proposed Bill Bonanno for consigliere and the one who raised issue with the promotion. I'd have to check and see where it's mentioned that DiGregorio proposed him for the spot, but I know I've read it. Over time it seems consigliere became a position the boss could name just like he would underboss or captain, but up to a certain point the consigliere was voted into the position by the rest of the family, not the boss. Was Bill Bonanno voted into the position or did Joe Bonanno promote Bill himself? If JB promoted him, this would have been relatively unheard of for this time and may have been an issue unto itself. If DiGregorio or someone else proposed Bill and the captains/family voted him in, I can't see how they could blame JB for this.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

B. wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:05 pm To go back to the start of the Bonanno problems, I've read that Gaspare DiGregorio was both the one who proposed Bill Bonanno for consigliere and the one who raised issue with the promotion. I'd have to check and see where it's mentioned that DiGregorio proposed him for the spot, but I know I've read it. Over time it seems consigliere became a position the boss could name just like he would underboss or captain, but up to a certain point the consigliere was voted into the position by the rest of the family, not the boss. Was Bill Bonanno voted into the position or did Joe Bonanno promote Bill himself? If JB promoted him, this would have been relatively unheard of for this time and may have been an issue unto itself. If DiGregorio or someone else proposed Bill and the captains/family voted him in, I can't see how they could blame JB for this.
Bill was proposed by DiGregorio and in turn Bill nominated Gaspar. A vote by the captains did take place. That´s according to Bill. Lack of informants makes it difficult to confirm though but I don´t see this particular info being fabricated. Voting in the consigliere was standard practise back then, atleast with the Bonannos. It´s possible other Families used other ways to name the consigliere (even back then) but considering the consigliere´s strong, important position and his general duties, an election seems to be the only fair and democratic way of naming one. He was supposed to keep the power balance between the boss and the rest of the Family, according to Mafia tradition.

Reading through this thread, I´m kinda stunned we let Giacomo Vacari get away with his posts. I regret not questioning him more thoroughly.