Revisiting the Magaddino transcript - names

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

AG777
Full Patched

Re: Revisiting the Magaddino transcript - names

Post by AG777 »

B. wrote:Turns out the info comes from Chiri's FBN file. Says he was born in "Villa Scalia, Palermo".

Also, I re-read Bill Bonanno's description of "Chiricho's" home for the 1951 Commission meeting, which he says was in Pelham Bay. He says it was a large home at the end of a secluded street near the bay. Well, looking at Chiri's home in Palisade (which is now considered Ft. Lee), it is a large home at the end of a secluded street that overlooks the Hudson River. He goes into detail about the inside of the home but it's impossible to know how much of that matches. Location aside, the description of the homes is pretty damn close.

The Palisades usually refers to Fort Lee, Palisades Park, Edgewater, Cliffside Park and Englewood Cliffs. They all border one another. But most of the men lived in Fort Lee. It's just over the GWB from the Bronx, about 7 miles.

I took this picture on my great aunt's street back in 2003. See how close it is to NY. You can see the Empire State Building.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

AG777 wrote:
B. wrote:Turns out the info comes from Chiri's FBN file. Says he was born in "Villa Scalia, Palermo".

Also, I re-read Bill Bonanno's description of "Chiricho's" home for the 1951 Commission meeting, which he says was in Pelham Bay. He says it was a large home at the end of a secluded street near the bay. Well, looking at Chiri's home in Palisade (which is now considered Ft. Lee), it is a large home at the end of a secluded street that overlooks the Hudson River. He goes into detail about the inside of the home but it's impossible to know how much of that matches. Location aside, the description of the homes is pretty damn close.

The Palisades usually refers to Fort Lee, Palisades Park, Edgewater, Cliffside Park and Englewood Cliffs. They all border one another. But most of the men lived in Fort Lee. It's just over the GWB from the Bronx, about 7 miles.

I took this picture on my great aunt's street back in 2003. See how close it is to NY. You can see the Empire State Building.
Hard to beat a view of the Manhattan skyline, the only thing close is San Francisco
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Raven
Straightened out

Post by Raven »

HairyKnuckles wrote:
Antiliar wrote:I looked thru the NY Times and other papers, and nothing is mentioned about Rava going missing until the story on the death of Carlo Gambino. Valachi says that Rava was killed after he killed Ribilotto on p 350 of the senate hearings, and on p 361 Ralph Salerno said that he wasn't reported missing so there was no report. He also said that his family buried him, so Rava's body must have been found at some point. On p 362 Salerno said Rava was last seen in Florida in 1959.
Thanks for trying Antiliar. With Valachi saying that, it seems now that there are more things pointing at Rava being killed after the Robilotto killing.
I have found 2 more documents on the Mary Farrell website.

1st says that in December of 1958 an informant reported Rava had been missing:

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... =rava_1958

The 2nd gives yet a 3rd account of his murder but states it was in approx. Dec 1958:

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... 1&tab=page

I think either the FBI or Konesberg has Andrew "Mingie" Avellino and Salvatore "Toddo" Avarello (Aurello) mixed up.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

In that 2nd link Konisberg says Rava killed Robilotto and he talks of Squillante being murdered and tortured. "In front of wifes"
Weird
I'll race you around the corner for fuckin $400 - the skinny
Raven
Straightened out

Post by Raven »

Konisburg makes a lot of interesting statements.

I posted both those links on Rava because they point to him being killed in late 1958, after Robilotto (Roberts).
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Nice finds, Raven.

About Squillante -- there has also been info saying that wives were involved in cleaning up the Joseph Scalise murder, which was allegedly committed in Squillante's home after a dinner (no idea the original source but I've heard this rumor/myth since I first started reading about the mob). Personally I question the wives' involvement in any of these murders, or if it did happen, I imagine their involvement was heavily exaggerated.

The mention of farming out the Rava hit to "two kids" in Trenton is interesting considering the Avarello/Trenton connections talked about in another thread. The take you posted doesn't necessarily conflict with either of the theories.
Raven
Straightened out

Post by Raven »

I have no clue who killed him, could have been Altamura and Indelicato, Toddo Aurello, or Andrew "Mingie" Avellino, but the links I posted support his murder as being in late 1958 after Robilotto.

This forum is the first I have heard about Altamura and Indelicato as his murderers. Where was the info found out? Is the report on the MF website?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

jimmyb wrote:Great thread B.

I think it's interesting that Magaddino accuses Bonanno of "fleeing" a borgata 45 years ago. How do you guys decode that comment? Presumably Magaddino is talking about the cosca in CDG. If my math is right we're talking about 1920. JB would have been rather young. Even if Stefano is talking about 1924, according to JB he left Sicily to a) get away from the Fascists and b) find more economic opportunities (and adventure) in America.

So is Stefano accusing JB of "fleeing" his responsibilities to the borgata? That doesn't make sense because Stefano left CDG too. Maybe there is a simpler explanation i'm overlooking.
I may have found the explanation for this. In Rosalie (Profaci) Bonanno's book, she talks about how Joe Profaci and Stefano Magaddino arranged for Joe Bonanno to travel to Canada to help bring her father Salvatore Profaci into the US. She says they didn't go to NY straight away and both Bonanno and Profaci spent a couple of months in Buffalo involved in bootlegging (no doubt under Magaddino's supervision) before heading to NYC.

This would have been sometime around the late-20s I believe, so it doesn't match up perfectly with Magaddino's "45 years" comment, but other than that it makes sense that Magaddino may have held a grudge against his cousin for operating under the Buffalo family for a short time and then leaving.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Good find B
OlBlueEyesClub
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by OlBlueEyesClub »

Agreed. Nice find, it doesn't make sense though that he'd say Bonanno fled a borgata, that borgata being his own, and Bonanno simply leaving to go back to NYC. Maggadino would've known that Bonanno had other responsiblities in NY right? Maggadino said a lot of conflicting things throughout his life, but if I remember correctly, I think Bonanno says his cousin always had a grudge against him for being the youngest to head a family, and not coming under Maggadino's "wing". So that very well may be the explanation...Interestingly enough, in the "Early Organized Crime In Detroit book" it's said that Bonanno's father, Salvatore (I think that was his name), was also accused of fleeing a borgata so to speak when he left for the US after setting the truce between his family and the Buccellato's.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I looked in the Palermo birth index 1886-1895 and there was no Chiri and only two Chiricos, and neither was a Salvatore nor were they born in 1888.
Raven
Straightened out

Post by Raven »

Chiri/Chirico is very confusing. Bill Bonanno states that Chirico was at one time Anastasia's Underboss but I thought Frank Scalise was Anastasia's Underboss from the time he became boss until Scalise was murdered.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

only chirico i know are calabrese,vincenzo died of cancer around 20 yeas ago or more his brother later got made by sonny ciccone joe who owns marco polo..hope that helps
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

This is from September 1964. Stefano and Peter A. Magaddino, along with Joe Bongiorno, someone named "Renzo" LNU, and Dominick LNU (most likely Dominick Romeo, suspected Buffalo member, who is referred to in other Magaddino transcripts in context with some of the same people/events). As usual Magaddino dominates the conversation, with Dominick LNU being the only other active participant as it goes on.

The first half or so of the transcript is mostly rehashing the same old criticisms against Joe Bonanno and filling Dominick LNU in on that situation. There is some stuff in there (including unidentified phonetic names) that might be worth revisiting, but this stuff on Canada is what caught my eye later on:

- Magaddino refers to Bonanno recruiting "this young fellow" in Montreal, who Dominick says is "Paolo Viola" (Violi), which Magaddino confirms. Magaddino says he "made him cross the ocean as a stowaway" and that his "mother was sent for and settled in Montreal." He seems to be saying that Violi was recruited overseas to join the Montreal family? Strange.

- Magaddino continues by saying "At that step, we have a man by the name of Littogrande (ph)". Who Dominick says "was going with Louie Grey, who was there" and how "they sold their support and took money from Paolo". Littogrande could very well be Lilo Galante from the context and phonetics. Louie Grey is probably Louis Greco, while Paolo would be Violi.

- He brings up a "Johnny Petropulo" in relation to Philadelphia but is cut off. Could be Papalia, as he's talking about Canada and from other Magaddino conversations we know Papalia was doing business (heroin?) with Philadelphia leaders.

- Dominick mentions a "Sbirro" (informant) from Dutredoc (ph) who told Petropulo that his brother is Calabrese and named "Mr. Romeo" (Dominick possibly referring to himself). Not sure the story.

- Magaddino says that "he" (Bonanno?) has also recruited people in Hamilton. Paolo Violi was dating a girl in Hamilton who was either Sicilian or Calabrese, but he first thinks Calabrese. We know this is Luppino's daughter.

- Magaddino refers to a friend of his named Girolamo Iacabanna (ph), who he also calls Scebeppe Iacabanna (unless he's referring to a relative of Girolamo), who sent word to the father-in-law, "also of Bonanno", because the father-in-law is a "caporalista" (camorrista? He is referring to Giacomo Luppino). In relation to this, Dominick says "they told me he is the son of Vene (ph) and also his son". He says "He had been proposed to be given the oust".

- Magaddino clarifies that Violi went to Hamilton where he was supposed to get married and the father of the bride was "Called by Bonanno and joined him in Montreal". Sounds like Violi's future father-in-law Luppino in Hamilton was recruited by Joe Bonanno for a time at least? This would also explain what Mafaddno meant when he said that Violi's father-in-law was "also of Bonanno". Anyone know anything about this?

- The conversation degenerates back into the typical Magaddino ranting against Bonanno. He says Bonanno turned Magaddino's own relatives against him (probably a reference to Peter and Gaspare Magaddino). He says "Lobullo" tried to keep neutral in the feud even though he was offered $500 to "tap" Magaddino's mail. Magaddino says he chased "Lobullo" from his house and humiliated him, causing him to be "homeless like a stray dog". He later saw Lobullo in a bar room and Lobullo made a tautning remark to the Magaddino women. Magaddino was apparently going to do something violent to this Lobullo but Magaddino had his daughter with him who urged him not to. "Lobullo" must be Buffalo member Sam LoVullo. A different Buffalo transcript refers to a "Gasper Lobullo, Lobullo's brother" and some kind of issue where they were telling their wives too much information.

- Magaddino tells Dominick about the meeting where Joe Bonanno was officially removed as boss and thrown out. He says "Johnny Bocca" (John LaRocca), "Listo Zobanda" (ph), and "Marsepec" (ph) were there. It sounds like Magaddino advocated for the men in Bonanno's family and felt that if a boss makes a mistake they should be punished alone for it. The Commission decided that if something was not good for Joe Bonanno, it was not good for them either and went around the room saying "he is no good for me". This seemed to be some kind of political way of phrasing the decision to oust him.

- Magaddino says that Bonanno "picks up all the lies that those from Sorgo (ph) tell him. Those from Sorgo know nothing". At first I thought this might be a reference to Santo Sorgi but he appears to be referring to people from some place called "Sorgo".

- Magaddino tells a story about Gaspare DiGregorio "bringing a whore into his house" and how he advised him not to. Apparently he felt that Gasspare's "new girlfriend was a spy for the opposite camp" (meaning this would have happened more recently). Magaddino says DiGregorio is too sincere and simple.

- They start talking about a "Paul", who I am guessing is Paolo Violi again, as Magaddino says he sent for him but "they brought him to New York and gave him $50,000 and sent him to Haiti" to gamble. Magaddino says he is "Calabrese, Calabrese, Calabrese, and Calabrese -- a dog".

- Dominick asks for the name of another guy, who he says "If he does not want to come here, Petrillo, you sir can rest assured that we shall let him go to the fish." Seems to be saying that he will bring someone to meet Magaddino and if the guy doesn't want to come he would kill him (i.e. go to the fish)? That's my interpretation of "let him go to the fish." This segment has kind of a sinister tone overall.

- Reinforcing my thoughts above, Dominick says he will bring picciotti who are not "25-year-olds" but are "40 and 45 years old" and that they "help me to do all the jobs of the band, everything." Seems to be saying he'd bring seasoned soldiers to help. He says "I am at your dispoal to take care of everything", and Magaddino tells him "Don't go and tell", which shuts Dominick up.

- Magaddino seems concerned about the victim (?) being Calabrese and seems to feel that the situation could be a "quagmire". He might be concerned about retaliation with the Calabrese groups in Canada. He also says "we know that this man has sent him and has killed."

- On another note, Magaddino says a guy from "Garmottisi" named Tony Christi or Cristi, which Magaddino says could be a nickname, contacted Sam Rangatore. He also says that one of Rangatore's relatives is named Salvatore and that this Salvatore goes by "Bill" and "Big Bill". Cristi asked Rangatore to furnish references about Charlie Longo, "who wants to become a 'compare'". Not sure what that means in this context. Rangatore passed the info to Magaddino. They found out that the suggestion (relating to Longo?) had originally come from "John Busena" and that Charlie Longo is from "San Giovanni Annato (San Giuseppe Iato?). Magaddino says this is a breach of procedure because references must come from San Giovanni Annato" where Longo is from. The FBI's interpretation says "responsibility for making a new "compare" rests with the local people who must not turn to Buffalo to avoid shouldering the responsibility."

- It sounds to me like Buffalo was consulted about someone named Charlie Longo becoming boss of the San Giuseppe Iato family and that Longo has ties to Buffalo. However, it doesn't seem Magaddino knows this Charlie at all. Magaddino wonders if Longo is the son of someone named Franco Longo, but Dominick does not think so as he says Franco Longo's sons live in California. They determine that Franco's sons are named Georgio and Dominick. I wonder if Franco Longo is the same as Frank Longo, San Giuseppe Iato native who lived in Springfield before being killed in Jersey with Troia. I assume Franco Longo is from SGI as well, as Magaddino knows that Charlie Longo is from there when he's asking these questions. Either way, I wonder if there is a connection between Charlie and Frank Longo of Springfield/NJ given their shared hometown.

- Apparently this Charlie Longo claimed to be from Buffalo and Dominick believes he is not one of Longo's sons.

- John Bosena/Busena lives in Sarna, Ontario, Canada. Sarnia is near London, Ontario. Magaddino says they have "checked all societies" to locate Longo but haven't found him. By "societies", does he mean "families"? They then wonder if he's the son of a Dominick Longo and brother of Franco Longo. Dominick says he will find out if Dominick Longo has a son named Charlie.

- The meeting seems to end and Dominick asks someone (possibly Peter A. Magaddino) "What is the cause of this meeting? Last time, the cousin said to him that he will sentence him to death" and that's where the transcript ends. Ominous.

Link: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=95166
AG777
Full Patched

Post by AG777 »

B. wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:35 am
He also says that one of Rangatore's relatives is named Salvatore and that this Salvatore goes by "Bill" and "Big Bill". Cristi asked Rangatore to furnish references about Charlie Longo, "who wants to become a 'compare'". Not sure what that means in this context

Link: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=95166
Are you unsure of what "compare" means? It means Godfather in Italian. But in slang it's goomba or someone, a close friend, who is like a brother (or even a father to you.) Goodfella.

Is that what you're asking? If not, then disregard my post. Thnx.