I almost hate to say it....

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: I almost hate to say it....

Post by sdeitche »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:21 am
sdeitche wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:45 am According to a source I interviewed for my upcoming book, Tieri was not shelved. When he died in March of 1981, Benny Squint was made boss. However, shortly thereafter Squint was shelved (supposedly with the blessing of Catena). I'm not 100% sure why Squint was shelved.
Wow.

Pretty substantial claims. Who is the source?
Doesnt wish to be named - he was around genovese and bruno guys in the 70s. I don't know if totally true, but some of his other claims stood up. And really when he says shelved, he's also not totally sure Benny even wanted the top spot.
Last edited by sdeitche on Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

rayray wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:30 am Whether it's Lombardo or Tieri shelved and warned members to stay away is substantial, very interesting. How the Genovese run things it could have been worse depending what it was about and if true.
I think we're talking semantics but I dont think he was shelved as in made persona non grata. I think it had more to do with Benny either not really wanting the top spot, not having support, and his health/age. Or a combination of all three. Form the conversation, it seemed to be amenable. Maybe demotion is a more apt description?
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Raven wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:35 am
sdeitche wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:45 am According to a source I interviewed for my upcoming book, Tieri was not shelved. When he died in March of 1981, Benny Squint was made boss. However, shortly thereafter Squint was shelved (supposedly with the blessing of Catena). I'm not 100% sure why Squint was shelved.
Fill us in on your upcoming book. Sounds interesting. I'm assuming it is about the Genovese's? When can we look for it to be out?
Overall history of the mob in Jersey. General overall history, kind of similar to what i did for Tampa for my first book. Geared towards a general audience with hopefully enough research-y nuggets to appeal to the mob afficiandos like those on here.

It's due to the publisher on March 15, so not totally sure what the release date is yet. Probably late 2017.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

I think it's pretty safe to say Funzi was the boss in the 70s after Catena passed on the job. After Funzi died, it starts to get a little messy.

I also think its pretty safe to say, based on my research that Jerry Catena was one of the more underrated mob powers ever. I think a book on him may be in the future. He was at the top and then disappeared to Florida at his height and lived out the rest of his life in basic anonymity (though some sources say he was consulted on major matters from time to time).
rayray
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by rayray »

sdeitche wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:24 am I think it's pretty safe to say Funzi was the boss in the 70s after Catena passed on the job. After Funzi died, it starts to get a little messy.

I also think its pretty safe to say, based on my research that Jerry Catena was one of the more underrated mob powers ever. I think a book on him may be in the future. He was at the top and then disappeared to Florida at his height and lived out the rest of his life in basic anonymity (though some sources say he was consulted on major matters from time to time).
It's also interesting to note that the 1970's Genovese's had more then one boss that supposedly was a reluctant boss, i.e., Catena, Lombardo and maybe Tieri. I wonder if it was due to the fact that these guys already had enough money/power or maybe what happened to Eboli? Or Genovese/Costello conflict? The Anastasia/Gambino issues, later Gambino being a meddler? The earlier Banana and Gallo Wars in their respective family's? A lot going on in the last 10 to 12 years before the 70's came about to want one to not want headaches or a premature death being the boss, why take it? The Chin on the other hand seemed to have no issues taking the reigns.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:08 am If I remember correctly it had to do, at least partially, with Tieri's role in the whole Bruno-Caponigro Philly thing.

Pogo
I don´t think we can say for sure it was the Philly situation. That was just speculation from my part in another thread where Tieri was being discussed. All I know is that an informant said that Tieri was taken down and that another informant (possibly the same) said that the leaders of the Genoveses had ordered their members to stay away from Tieri. I don´t know if the order came from the Commission or if it was the Genovese bosses´ decision originally.

Scott, your book on the NJ Mafia sounds interesting and promising. Will definitely check it out when it gets released.
There you have it, never printed before.
Jimmy_the_gent
Straightened out

Post by Jimmy_the_gent »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:25 pm
Scott, your book on the NJ Mafia sounds interesting and promising. Will definitely check it out when it gets released.
I second that. Will be ordering one myself. Best of Luck with the new project.
"Life is like a sandwich. No matter which way you flip it, the bread comes first."
Hailbritain
Full Patched

Post by Hailbritain »

Can't wait for the new book scott , will defo be getting a copy
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

sdeitche wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:24 am I think it's pretty safe to say Funzi was the boss in the 70s after Catena passed on the job. After Funzi died, it starts to get a little messy.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but Tieri died in 1981. That's when things in the top Genovese leadership starts to clear up. Salerno may have been ready to take over as boss, regardless of whether one thinks Tieri or Lombardo had been the boss, but his stroke prevented that. And, of course, Chin then became boss.
All roads lead to New York.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

sdeitche wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:15 am Doesnt wish to be named - he was around genovese and bruno guys in the 70s. I don't know if totally true, but some of his other claims stood up.
This is frustrating.

You are rewriting history and when asked for evidence deny to provide. This is why people are skeptical, critical or even outright reject some of what you write.

You cant expect to make substantial claims and have them believed on faith. Not on this topic with the prodigious amount of bullshit abound.

Most people here accept what you say as given basis your status. Others require evidence or proof.
Offering some is not too much to ask and until then the skepticism will remain.
sdeitche wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:15 amAnd really when he says shelved, he's also not totally sure Benny even wanted the top spot.
Specific terms have specific meanings.

If Benny, declined due to ill health, retired, stepped down etc etc then that is not being shelved.
And the use of the term is patently incorrect.

Something your source should be more than aware.

Hardly inspires credibility.

Again.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:50 am
sdeitche wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:15 am Doesnt wish to be named - he was around genovese and bruno guys in the 70s. I don't know if totally true, but some of his other claims stood up.
This is frustrating.

You are rewriting history and when asked for evidence deny to provide. This is why people are skeptical, critical or even outright reject some of what you write.

You cant expect to make substantial claims and have them believed on faith. Not on this topic with the prodigious amount of bullshit abound.

Most people here accept what you say as given basis your status. Others require evidence or proof.
sdeitche wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:15 amAnd really when he says shelved, he's also not totally sure Benny even wanted the top spot.

If Benny, declined due to ill health, retired, stepped down etc etc then that is not being shelved.

Again.
Then don't buy my book. I never said it was definitive and say as much in the book. I specifically said, according to a source. How is that any different from some random FBI report with claims of an anonynous CI?

And I'm never afraid to say when I've been wrong. This source could be wrong though I think it certainly falls under extreme likelihood that Tieri was replaced by Lombardi. All the research that's been done on the mob and how much are we still learning. And how is whether Teri was shelved or not radically rewriting history?

And unless you are in the life and know all the nuances of terms and how there applied your reasoning is pure bullshit as well.

Ive been writing, researching, and contributing to these boards and the overall body of our research since 1995, mistakes and all. Not sure why you are so butthurt by my post.
Sol
Admin

Post by Sol »

sdeitche wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:48 pm
SonnyBlackstein wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:50 am
This is frustrating.

Again.
Then don't buy my book. I never said it was definitive and say as much in the book. I specifically said, according to a source. How is that any different from some random FBI report with claims of an anonynous CI?

And I'm never afraid to say when I've been wrong. This source could be wrong though I think it certainly falls under extreme likelihood that Tieri was replaced by Lombardi. All the research that's been done on the mob and how much are we still learning. And how is whether Teri was shelved or not radically rewriting history?

And unless you are in the life and know all the nuances of terms and how there applied your reasoning is pure bullshit as well.

Ive been writing, researching, and contributing to these boards and the overall body of our research since 1995, mistakes and all. Not sure why you are so butthurt by my post.
I don't get it also. Not sure why anyone would get so offended, you ether believe so and so post or you don't.......Soliai
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I've known Scott since around 2000 (unfortunately not face to face, so far), and he has always been a diligent researcher with an open mind. He's accessible and willing to listen to criticism. To dismiss him because he didn't give an answer that was liked is totally unfair. People forget sometimes that the Cosa Nostra is still a secret criminal organization, and its members are supposed to keep quiet about discussing inside information under penalty of death. Despite the huge number of informants, there are still plenty who try to live by the code of omerta. The fact that someone got in touch with Scott to share info should be appreciated by people like us, and he shouldn't get attacked because his source wants give info off the record to stay alive, or maybe not to offend relatives who would consider them "rats." That's the nature of the game. When people give info, they are taking a risk. They're not there to please a poster's demands. I hope everyone here will support Scott for writing the history of organized crime in New Jersey that a lot of people wanted since no one else has stepped up to write it. He and the other writers here have my full support.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

Lookimg fwd to the book scott
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:56 pm I've known Scott since around 2000 (unfortunately not face to face, so far), and he has always been a diligent researcher with an open mind. He's accessible and willing to listen to criticism. To dismiss him because he didn't give an answer that was liked is totally unfair. People forget sometimes that the Cosa Nostra is still a secret criminal organization, and its members are supposed to keep quiet about discussing inside information under penalty of death. Despite the huge number of informants, there are still plenty who try to live by the code of omerta. The fact that someone got in touch with Scott to share info should be appreciated by people like us, and he shouldn't get attacked because his source wants give info off the record to stay alive, or maybe not to offend relatives who would consider them "rats." That's the nature of the game. When people give info, they are taking a risk. They're not there to please a poster's demands. I hope everyone here will support Scott for writing the history of organized crime in New Jersey that a lot of people wanted since no one else has stepped up to write it. He and the other writers here have my full support.
Thank you. I appreciate the support. Look, nobody is a bigger critic of me than me. If you cant take criticism you have absolutely no business being a writer. There is stuff I've written in the past I can't even read now, and stuff that factually is inaccurate now, but based on the available information at the time, was what the evidence showed. And I appreciate the debates and criticism. I think it helps everyone not to take things at face value.

As for unnamed sources. For the jersey book, I used two, out of at dozen live sources, and about 400 other sources. I also used unnamed.sources in my Trafficante book. Some people want to share, they just don't want everyone else to know.

I also try to be as accurate as possible. For example, I devote an entire chapter to the night of the Sicilian vespers and how every major mob figure in America was killed by Lucky Luciano... in one night!! :mrgreen: