Revisiting the Magaddino transcript - names

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

OlBlueEyesClub
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Revisiting the Magaddino transcript - names

Post by OlBlueEyesClub »

dimaggio wrote:
B. wrote:Is there any info on why Robilotto got released from the Genovese? I assume he was still with them at the time of the Moretti murder.
Its said Roberts was never made because one of his brothers Benny Robilotto was a cop. But that's strange because it says that this brother was in business with Jon Diogaurdia and was building mansions in Florida and buying restaurants. Pretty good on a cop salary

I

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... 4&tab=page

Interesting, but that file doesn't actually say Johnny Roberts wasn't made. As it's always been understood that he was a made guy, according to Valachi and much later sources. As was already pointed out on the previous page. I never knew his brother had been a cop though, so this is a good find for me, thanks for the info, man.
Last edited by OlBlueEyesClub on Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

AlexfromSouth wrote:I know it's been said that Rava's and Rava himself were loyal to Anastasia but in that same crew you can find guys who pop up as pro-Gambino latter on like Ferrara, failla, Vincent De Cicco, Aurello, etc. So the age old claim that Neil's crew from when he took over in 1957 is questionable to say the least. Dellacroce was promoted to capo than to Underboss, to me it looks like Carli Gambino was very greatfull for something. Could it be because of him giving up Rava and in a sense Anastasia, we will never know.

in my opinion if Dellacroce was sicilan he would a had a much bigger chance of being boss after Carlo.
Throughout the history of the mob, these guys almost always fall in line under the new leadership. For example, a lot of the media hype of the 1980s and 90s would describe top Gambino members as "Gotti loyalists" and "Gotti guys" just because they showed up at the Ravenite, followed orders, and showed him respect. They were just falling in line under the new leadership because they wanted to stay alive and thrive.

Like I mentioned earlier, what stands out to me is that this "Dannarao" was said to be a capodecina with 10 to 12 other capodecinas with him. That's not too far off sounding from the arrangement Castellano had with Dellacroce, though I don't believe Dellacroce had that many crews in his "faction". Magaddino wasn't necessarily accurate in saying 10 to 12, either, but that would have been roughly half the family's crews which is probably what he was trying to say. I would bet money the whole Gambino faction split of the 1970s/80s traces back to the 1950s.

I was just trying to put together a picture of the Gambino family at the time of Anastasia's death and here is the best I could do. I am sure this is largely inaccurate, but maybe JD, HK, and others can add/correct some names:

Boss - Albert Anastasia (murdered)
Underboss - Salvatore Chiri / Antonino Conte (?)
Consigliere - Carlo Gambino

Anthony Anastasio
Steven Armone
Joseph Biondo
Paul Castellano
Jerome D'Aquila (?)
Joseph Franco/Carmine Lombardozzi
Paolo Gambino
Arthur Leo
Luigi Morici
Antonio Paterno
Frank Perrone (?)
Armando Rava
Joseph Riccobono
Anthony Rizzo (?)
Vincent Squillante
Giuseppe Traina
Ettore Zappi (?)

I can name a handful of these guys who would have likely been Anastasia loyalists, and quite a few more who would have been with the Gambino/Biondo/Riccobono faction, but definitely not a 50/50 split or anything like that.
OlBlueEyesClub
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by OlBlueEyesClub »

I don't think Dellacroce gave up Rava. I believe the reports that claim Dellacroce was at one point on the side of the Anastasia/Rava faction in Rava's attempt to takeover after Anastasia's death, thus being assumed as loyal to Anastasia. I don't know if this is true, but I saw it mentioned on the other forum that Dellacroce named his kid Armand after Rava and that his nickname was "Buddy". If it's believed that this is a lifelong nickname Dellacroce used for his son, which is very possible, then that sounds like a guy who misses his old friend and having him around. I know how that feels, so I don't know, if all that is true then I just don't see Dellacroce just rolling on a close friend like that. Look at his lifelong traits and habits, he was willing to go to war with Paul Castellano, another boss of a family and another pro-Gambino guy (interestingly enough) for the sake of someone else he felt loyal to, and felt he had a responsibility to aide in a life or death situation. I think he'd be the same type of guy in the earlier portions of his life.
OlBlueEyesClub
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by OlBlueEyesClub »

Whoops, think I double posted. Sorry guys.
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

OlBlueEyesClub wrote:I don't think Dellacroce gave up Rava. I believe the reports that claim Dellacroce was at one point on the side of the Anastasia/Rava faction in Rava's attempt to takeover after Anastasia's death, thus being assumed as loyal to Anastasia. I don't know if this is true, but I saw it mentioned on the other forum that Dellacroce named his kid Armand after Rava and that his nickname was "Buddy". If it's believed that this is a lifelong nickname Dellacroce used for his son, which is very possible, then that sounds like a guy who misses his old friend and having him around. I know how that feels, so I don't know, if all that is true then I just don't see Dellacroce just rolling on a close friend like that. Look at his lifelong traits and habits, he was willing to go to war with Paul Castellano, another boss of a family and another pro-Gambino guy (interestingly enough) for the sake of someone else he felt loyal to, and felt he had a responsibility to aide in a life or death situation. I think he'd be the same type of guy in the earlier portions of his life.
Well, I have no dought he liked Rava very much and probablly named his son after him, but the thing is his son Buddy was born 1955. At that time Anastasia was still going strong. As for Neils closenes and alleiance to Rava or anyone, its just like all of these guys. B. said in the post before you, people just fall in line and good night. Lot of friends are lost in that life I assume.
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

B. wrote:
AlexfromSouth wrote:I know it's been said that Rava's and Rava himself were loyal to Anastasia but in that same crew you can find guys who pop up as pro-Gambino latter on like Ferrara, failla, Vincent De Cicco, Aurello, etc. So the age old claim that Neil's crew from when he took over in 1957 is questionable to say the least. Dellacroce was promoted to capo than to Underboss, to me it looks like Carli Gambino was very greatfull for something. Could it be because of him giving up Rava and in a sense Anastasia, we will never know.

in my opinion if Dellacroce was sicilan he would a had a much bigger chance of being boss after Carlo.
Throughout the history of the mob, these guys almost always fall in line under the new leadership. For example, a lot of the media hype of the 1980s and 90s would describe top Gambino members as "Gotti loyalists" and "Gotti guys" just because they showed up at the Ravenite, followed orders, and showed him respect. They were just falling in line under the new leadership because they wanted to stay alive and thrive.

Like I mentioned earlier, what stands out to me is that this "Dannarao" was said to be a capodecina with 10 to 12 other capodecinas with him. That's not too far off sounding from the arrangement Castellano had with Dellacroce, though I don't believe Dellacroce had that many crews in his "faction". Magaddino wasn't necessarily accurate in saying 10 to 12, either, but that would have been roughly half the family's crews which is probably what he was trying to say. I would bet money the whole Gambino faction split of the 1970s/80s traces back to the 1950s.

I was just trying to put together a picture of the Gambino family at the time of Anastasia's death and here is the best I could do. I am sure this is largely inaccurate, but maybe JD, HK, and others can add/correct some names:

Boss - Albert Anastasia (murdered)
Underboss - Salvatore Chiri / Antonino Conte (?)
Consigliere - Carlo Gambino

Anthony Anastasio
Steven Armone
Joseph Biondo
Paul Castellano
Jerome D'Aquila (?)
Joseph Franco/Carmine Lombardozzi
Paolo Gambino
Arthur Leo
Luigi Morici
Antonio Paterno
Frank Perrone (?)
Armando Rava
Joseph Riccobono
Anthony Rizzo (?)
Vincent Squillante
Giuseppe Traina
Ettore Zappi (?)

I can name a handful of these guys who would have likely been Anastasia loyalists, and quite a few more who would have been with the Gambino/Biondo/Riccobono faction, but definitely not a 50/50 split or anything like that.
Great effort B.

Not too sure about Biondo/Armone/Riccobono thing, were they all capos at the same time? Also Rizzo and Rava, I thought Rizzo was in the Rava crew.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

I don´t think that the Family was divided during when Anastasia was still alive, but after his death. It appears some crew leaders, right after Anastasia´s death, were influenced by Rava and sought his guidance rather then Gambino´s. But who they were exactly and how many they were in this group is impossible to know. And like you said, the number of 10-12 captains could be an inaccurate statement made by Magaddino. I believe that Robilotto was Rava´s right hand man, his closest confidant, in this faction, which made Magaddino describe him as "his underboss".

This is what I have as upper echelon of the Gambino Family, right before Anastasia´s death.

Boss - Anastasia
Underboss - Salvatore Chiricho
Acting underboss - Nino Conte (position previously held by F. Scalise)
consigliere - Carlo Gambino

Capt - Joe Riccobono (succeeded by S. Armone after Riccobono´s elevation to consigliere)
- Joe Traina
- Domenico Arcuri
- Tommy Russo
- T. Anastasio
- Frank Castellano (succeeded by Paul Castellano in 1959)
- Peter Stincone
- Joe Zingaro
- Dave Amodeo (old Scalise crew, split with Arthur Leo after the Scalise murder according to informant)
- Paul Gambino
- Joe Colozzo
- Terry Zappi
- Joe Franco (died Nov 1957, succeeded by Lombardozzi)
- Jimmy Squillante
- John Robilotto (succeeded by Alfred Eppolito in 1958; the Eppolitos were suspects in Robilotto´s killing)
- Tommy Rava (crew split between Dellacroce and Anthony Rizzo sometime after Rava´s death)
- Jerry D´Aquila (?)
- Rocco Mazzie
- Joseph Paterno
- Frank Perrone (split of from A. Paterno´s crew according to informant)

Biondo doesn´t seem to have held any high position at this point. It looks like he was demoted by Anastasia. Morici may have split of from Franco´s crew and made a captain of the Baltimore members. That would explan why former members of Franco´s crew (Lombardozzi and possibly others) attended Pasquale corbi´s funeral.
There you have it, never printed before.
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

HairyKnuckles wrote:I don´t think that the Family was divided during when Anastasia was still alive, but after his death. It appears some crew leaders, right after Anastasia´s death, were influenced by Rava and sought his guidance rather then Gambino´s. But who they were exactly and how many they were in this group is impossible to know. And like you said, the number of 10-12 captains could be an inaccurate statement made by Magaddino. I believe that Robilotto was Rava´s right hand man, his closest confidant, in this faction, which made Magaddino describe him as "his underboss".

This is what I have as upper echelon of the Gambino Family, right before Anastasia´s death.

Boss - Anastasia
Underboss - Salvatore Chiricho
Acting underboss - Nino Conte (position previously held by F. Scalise)
consigliere - Carlo Gambino

Capt - Joe Riccobono (succeeded by S. Armone after Riccobono´s elevation to consigliere)
- Joe Traina
- Domenico Arcuri
- Tommy Russo
. T. Anastasio
- Frank Castellano (succeeded by Paul Castellano in 1959)
- Peter Stincone
- Joe Zingaro
- Dave Amodeo (old Scalise crew, split with Arthur Leo after the Scalise murder according to informant)
- Paul Gambino
- Joe Colozzo
- Terry Zappi
- Joe Franco (died Nov 1957, succeeded by Lombardozzi)
- Jimmy Squillante
- John Robilotto (sucseeded by Alfred Eppolito in 1958; the Eppolitos were suspects in Robilotto´s killing)
- Tommy Rava (crew split between Dellacroce and Anthony Rizzo sometime after Rava´s death)
- Jerry D´Aquila (?)
- Rocco Mazzie
- Joseph Paterno
- Frank Perrone (split of from A. Paterno´s crew according to informant)

Biondo doesn´t seem to have held any high position at this point. It looks like he was demoted by Anastasia. Morici may have split of from Franco´s crew and made a captain of the Baltimore members. That would explan why former members of Franco´s crew (Lombardozzi and possibly others) attended Pasquale corbi´s funeral.
Very good HK, thanks for the chart. I have to ask, who were captains Tommy Russo and Frank Castellano and where were they based? Was Frank the uncle of Paul Castelanno?
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

Thanks HK.
OlBlueEyesClub
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by OlBlueEyesClub »

AlexfromSouth wrote:
OlBlueEyesClub wrote:I don't think Dellacroce gave up Rava. I believe the reports that claim Dellacroce was at one point on the side of the Anastasia/Rava faction in Rava's attempt to takeover after Anastasia's death, thus being assumed as loyal to Anastasia. I don't know if this is true, but I saw it mentioned on the other forum that Dellacroce named his kid Armand after Rava and that his nickname was "Buddy". If it's believed that this is a lifelong nickname Dellacroce used for his son, which is very possible, then that sounds like a guy who misses his old friend and having him around. I know how that feels, so I don't know, if all that is true then I just don't see Dellacroce just rolling on a close friend like that. Look at his lifelong traits and habits, he was willing to go to war with Paul Castellano, another boss of a family and another pro-Gambino guy (interestingly enough) for the sake of someone else he felt loyal to, and felt he had a responsibility to aide in a life or death situation. I think he'd be the same type of guy in the earlier portions of his life.
Well, I have no dought he liked Rava very much and probablly named his son after him, but the thing is his son Buddy was born 1955. At that time Anastasia was still going strong. As for Neils closenes and alleiance to Rava or anyone, its just like all of these guys. B. said in the post before you, people just fall in line and good night. Lot of friends are lost in that life I assume.
True. Dellacroce & Rava were said to be pretty close though, and not just mob associates, as said guys in this life die all the time, and allegiances change, but as they like to say in the movies, "its business, nothing personal", guys are simply trying to stay alive. Which even goes to show that Neil rolling on a close friend doesn't necessarily have to be the case. As these guys have pointed out through their remarkable research, some of these files allude to Dellacroce being apart of Rava's efforts to take over the family, he didn't have to be in on Rava's murder, he simply could've swallowed his pride or anger at the murder, saw what was going on and how he was on losing side, and thankfully in his case, him knowing the right people and pledging allegiance to the winning side after the fact, saved his life. Which I think is also alluded to in some of the linked FBI reports.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Very good HK, thanks for the chart. I have to ask, who were captains Tommy Russo and Frank Castellano and where were they based? Was Frank the uncle of Paul Castelanno?
Tommy Russo is Gaetano Russo, a captain based out of Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. Died in 1970. Crew probably disbanded after his death. Frank Castellano was Paul´s uncle.
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

HairyKnuckles wrote:
Tommy Russo is Gaetano Russo, a captain based out of Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. Died in 1970. Crew probably disbanded after his death. Frank Castellano was Paul´s uncle.
Yes Gaetano russo, remmember we discussing the guy. Tell me HK do you happen to know where was Frank Castellano from and based? Bensonhurst or South Bklyn? Thanks.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

AlexfromSouth wrote:
HairyKnuckles wrote:
Yes Gaetano russo, remmember we discussing the guy. Tell me HK do you happen to know where was Frank Castellano from and based? Bensonhurst or South Bklyn? Thanks.
Sorry, it should be Frank Castellana (he spelled his last name differently for some reason) and was a cousin of Paul´s uncles and the father of Pete. He had a butcher shop at 1088 92nd Street in Canarsie, Brooklyn (in the 1940s). Most likely originally from Bensonhurst.
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

HairyKnuckles wrote:
AlexfromSouth wrote:
HairyKnuckles wrote:
Sorry, it should be Frank Castellana (he spelled his last name differently for some reason) and was a cousin of Paul´s uncles and the father of Pete. He had a butcher shop at 1088 92nd Street in Canarsie, Brooklyn (in the 1940s). Most likely originally from Bensonhurst.
Oh okay, so Peter Castellana was his son. Very good info. Probablly Bhurst, since all of the Castelanos were from around there, although you remnember that we discused actually The Castellano clan was from E 105th st, east harlem and than they relocated to Bklyn in the 1920s or 30s.

That Gaetano Russo fellow stil remains a mystery, to me at least.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I wonder if Salvatore Chiri was confused with Tata Chirico. Bill Bonanno points out that Chirico lived in the Bronx, and the only one who fits was Silvestro Chirico, who was born in Bari in 1885 and died in 1943. Chiri was a New Jersey guy. Rosario "Charles" Dongarra, by the way, died in 1973. He was mentioned as a captain in the Gambino Family in the 1963 reports and that Joe N. Gallo was in his crew. Both Joe Biondo and Dongarra were closely associated with Umberto Valenti (the mobster killed in 1922 by Masseria and possibly Lucky Luciano).