Akron Ohio + Italian mafia

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JCB1977
Filthy Few

Re: Akron Ohio + Italian mafia

Post by JCB1977 »

Canton, OH in the 1940's-1960's was under the control of Cleveland. Patsy was never made in Cleveland but was closely associated with Jack White and Jimmy La Fatch in Akron then later Battista and Moceri. Pat's expertise was video poker and he was known as a "video poker barron" and his company, Liberty Vending was the country's largest distributor of the machines. Pittsburgh did not come into the picture until the early 1970's and the wiseguys in Youngstown weren't with either family, Youngstown operated independently. Guys like Sandy Naples and Joe DiCarlo were affiliated with Buffalo, Vince DeNiro was affiliated with Cleveland as was Charlie Cavallaro. Pete Cammarata was affiliated with Detroit and Jimmy Prato was affilliated with Pittsburgh. It wasn't until the early-mid 1980's that Pittsburgh moved into Cleveland territory. Youngstown had wiseguys representing several families at that time. Patsy hooked up withJohn "Duffy" Conley, considered Western Pennsylvania's Video Poker Barron and Pat distributed machines to the DeCalvacante Crime Family, the Genovese Crime Family, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, Buffalo, Scranton and had an enormous operation in Kentucky and West Virginia. In fact, his "Rolls Royce" money was paid for by his Kentucky Operations which were staggering.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

JCB - Do you have any info that Pat and Lenny came up together?
I believe that Pat was also Pittsburgh Consiliere consulting on the Southern Ohio and West Virginia accounts.
I also believe that Charlie was more or less Pittsburgh's "General Consul", particularly Trumbull and Mahoning Counties.
"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

FriendofHenry wrote:JCB - Do you have any info that Pat and Lenny came up together?
I believe that Pat was also Pittsburgh Consiliere consulting on the Southern Ohio and West Virginia accounts.
I also believe that Charlie was more or less Pittsburgh's "General Consul", particularly Trumbull and Mahoning Counties.
**In my research, Lenny came up under Vincenzo "Brier Hill Jimmy" Prato as they were related. Lenny did vending machines a long time ago when he got started for one of Jimmy Prato's businesses. While I am not doubting your knowledge, I have never seen anywhere that Lenny & Pat came up "together." Obviously, they knew each other for a very long time. Pat's dad was Rocco Feruccio, he was whacked in the 1920's in Canton, OH and he was a Black Hand boss there for years. His old man had extensive ties to NY/NJ through relatives and friends from Calabria.

Pat was a Capo with Pittsburgh. The only Consigliere's that I know of from Pittsburgh were Frank Amato Sr (after he stepped down in 1956 as boss until his death in 1973), Charlie Imburgia and Joe Sica. Charlie was "semi retired" by the 1980's and Joe Sica was more active in the day to day counseling but Charlie was called upon for the most important stuff. In my opinion, Charlie was the Consigliere for all Pittsburgh affairs involving Trumbull County and Mahoning County while Joe Sica advised on all Pittsburgh matters. Charlie was active since the 1920's and he was very close to Michael, Big John, Frank Amato Sr, Jo Jo and Joe Sica...he was a "senior statesman" even after he was quasi retired.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

This is all very interesting. I really don't know any of the names of the players after 1925 or so.

Carry on, gentleman.
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

JCB1977 wrote:
FriendofHenry wrote:JCB - Do you have any info that Pat and Lenny came up together?
**In my research, Lenny came up under Vincenzo "Brier Hill Jimmy" Prato as they were related. Lenny did vending machines a long time ago when he got started for one of Jimmy Prato's businesses. While I am not doubting your knowledge, I have never seen anywhere that Lenny & Pat came up "together." Obviously, they knew each other for a very long time. Pat's dad was Rocco Feruccio, he was whacked in the 1920's in Canton, OH and he was a Black Hand boss there for years. His old man had extensive ties to NY/NJ through relatives and friends from Calabria.

Pat was a Capo with Pittsburgh. The only Consigliere's that I know of from Pittsburgh were Frank Amato Sr (after he stepped down in 1956 as boss until his death in 1973), Charlie Imburgia and Joe Sica. Charlie was "semi retired" by the 1980's and Joe Sica was more active in the day to day counseling but Charlie was called upon for the most important stuff. In my opinion, Charlie was the Consigliere for all Pittsburgh affairs involving Trumbull County and Mahoning County while Joe Sica advised on all Pittsburgh matters. Charlie was active since the 1920's and he was very close to Michael, Big John, Frank Amato Sr, Jo Jo and Joe Sica...he was a "senior statesman" even after he was quasi retired.
Thanx and I'm aware the Lenny was made "Briar Hill Jimmy aka. Two Gun Jimmy" ;) For whatever reasons I recall Henry telling me that Pat and Lenny were close and had "something" in common. Maybe that they were made in a similar time period, but that's just a guess.

Are you sure Pat was a Capo? I'm not saying that he wasn't but I thought he was a Consigliere, at least at one time. There was a few time that Henry and I rode straight to Wheeling to see Paul after meeting with Pat in Alliance. That's why I always thought he had something to do with Paul. I always thought that Paul answered to Jo Jo. Maybe you have better thoughts?

Now that you put Joe Sica in the mix it would make good sense that he was the more or less Pennsylvania Consul. Charlie really had his hands full, especially with Youngstown and Lenny.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

FriendofHenry wrote:
JCB1977 wrote:

Thanx and I'm aware the Lenny was made "Briar Hill Jimmy aka. Two Gun Jimmy" ;) For whatever reasons I recall Henry telling me that Pat and Lenny were close and had "something" in common. Maybe that they were made in a similar time period, but that's just a guess.

Are you sure Pat was a Capo? I'm not saying that he wasn't but I thought he was a Consigliere, at least at one time. There was a few time that Henry and I rode straight to Wheeling to see Paul after meeting with Pat in Alliance. That's why I always thought he had something to do with Paul. I always thought that Paul answered to Jo Jo. Maybe you have better thoughts?

Now that you put Joe Sica in the mix it would make good sense that he was the more or less Pennsylvania Consul. Charlie really had his hands full, especially with Youngstown and Lenny.
Patsy was supplying all of Wheeling with his machines. The Lightning Rod Club as well as a dozen or so other bars all had Pat's machines in them...hence why he did business with Paul. Pat and Paul couldn't have been more different, so their relationship was strictly business. Gambling, not narcotics.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

Patsy was supplying all of Wheeling with his machines. The Lightning Rod Club as well as a dozen or so other bars all had Pat's machines in them...hence why he did business with Paul. Pat and Paul couldn't have been more different, so their relationship was strictly business. Gambling, not narcotics.

I totally agree. Pat and Paul were polar opposites! Pat - polished and poised, while Paul - rude and crude. Back to: "It's only business" ;)
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

The topic of Akron has never been discussed in too much depth, let's stick to Jimmy La Fatch and his brother Tony as well as Leo Moceri and Bones Battista.

The piece of shit that started this thread is a fraud, but the topic is a good one.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

JCB1977 wrote:The topic of Akron has never been discussed in too much depth, let's stick to Jimmy La Fatch and his brother Tony as well as Leo Moceri and Bones Battista.

The piece of shit that started this thread is a fraud, but the topic is a good one.
Once again we agree. Hopefully one of our member who has had personal dealing with the LaFach brothers will chime in.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

FriendofHenry wrote:
JCB1977 wrote:The topic of Akron has never been discussed in too much depth, let's stick to Jimmy La Fatch and his brother Tony as well as Leo Moceri and Bones Battista.

Once again we agree. Hopefully one of our member who has had personal dealing with the LaFach brothers will chime in.
Get in touch with that member

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

As they say" He's a "Friend" of ours. Now you know?
FriendofFamily
Full Patched

Post by FriendofFamily »

OK - so we have someone asking about Jimmy and Tony LaFatch. A new person that I don't know and someone called them out. Nothwithstanding any of that - I need to know what is it that you would like know or need to know about them personally or professionally.

Jimmy LaFatch hung out at the Akron Sicilian Club on West Market Street across from the Tangier Restaurant. The Sicilian Club was then converted to a Rockne's Restaurant. Operations were moved to Nick Anthe's Restaurant on N. Main Street on North Hill in Akron. The Landlord for the Sicilian Club was Joe Petracca. Joe would walk into the Bar and make a big production that he was the Landlord and Migo and Jimmy have the Rent Money. Jimmy would mutter a few choice words before paying him.

Meetings were held in the Basement of the Sicilian Club. Certain Members would all just walk in and go immediately downstairs to the basement while trying to not look at anyone. One night a local black man decided he was going to rob the Sicilian Club. Let us just say that a few guns were drawn and he left. Somehow the Akron Police Department happen to be outside and beat the piss out of this guy. The cops told him he's lucky that the guys in the bar didn't do something to him.

I will continue later about a few stories about Jimmy and Tony along with a few others....
Know which Game to Play
phatmatress777
Full Patched

Post by phatmatress777 »

FriendofFamily wrote:OK - so we have someone asking about Jimmy and Tony LaFatch. A new person that I don't know and someone called them out. Nothwithstanding any of that - I need to know what is it that you would like know or need to know about them personally or professionally.

Jimmy LaFatch hung out at the Akron Sicilian Club on West Market Street across from the Tangier Restaurant. The Sicilian Club was then converted to a Rockne's Restaurant. Operations were moved to Nick Anthe's Restaurant on N. Main Street on North Hill in Akron. The Landlord for the Sicilian Club was Joe Petracca. Joe would walk into the Bar and make a big production that he was the Landlord and Migo and Jimmy have the Rent Money. Jimmy would mutter a few choice words before paying him.

Meetings were held in the Basement of the Sicilian Club. Certain Members would all just walk in and go immediately downstairs to the basement while trying to not look at anyone. One night a local black man decided he was going to rob the Sicilian Club. Let us just say that a few guns were drawn and he left. Somehow the Akron Police Department happen to be outside and beat the piss out of this guy. The cops told him he's lucky that the guys in the bar didn't do something to him.

I will continue later about a few stories about Jimmy and Tony along with a few others....
intersting stuff
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

FriendofHenry wrote:As they say" He's a "Friend" of ours. Now you know?
Of course I knew, that's exactly my thoughts

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
The Greek
Straightened out

Post by The Greek »

Friend of Henry,
Back in high school in the mid 80's I used to play Fridays and Saturday nights in Akron at Zorba's and The Acropolis(I think). There was a guy who would always come in we called Mr. Gold. Mr. Gold always had a gold toothpick. He had a bodyguard who always had a gun. One night the Greeks got a little too rowdy breaking plates and Mr Gold got hit by some glass. The guys kept breaking plates until the bodyguard pulled out his gun and we stopped playing until things calmed down. Great memories of that place. Zorba's was the back room with a bar in the front. Any idea who Mr. Gold was?
Thanks
Greek