Lupertazzi crime family

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JCB1977
Filthy Few

Re: Lupertazzi crime family

Post by JCB1977 »

Here is a good links with insight from David Chase:

http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews ... avid-chase
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

SonnyBlackstein wrote:The Decav's had relations with the Columbo's?

Could you elaborate/explain please mate?

DeCavalcante Acting Bosses Vinny Palermo and Jimmy Palermo (no relation to each other) each had brothers who were made members in the Colombos (Patsy and Junior Palermo). Vinny Palermo in particular was very close to a lot of Colombos. Also I suspect that in the early 90s the DeCavalcante's made guy's who had been rejected for membership in the Colombos.

In addition Colombo Soldier Anthony Strapoli was nabbed in the big DeCavalcante busts of 1999/2000 (the only NY made member nabbed with the DeCavalcante's in that bust). In the indictment it mentioned the DeCavalcante's running a bookmaking operation with the Colombos (the Gambinos were also partners in that).

Another interesting tidbit, Tony Sirico who of course plays Pauie Walnuts, is/was a friend of Colombo Capo Jimmy Clemenza and his brother Jerry (Colombo Soldier). If my memory is right Sirico was a Colombo Associate in his early days before he turned his life around.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

123JoeSchmo wrote:I always thought the Corleone Family was based off the Genovese Family, but I could be wrong
I always heard it was about Joe Bonanno as well as Joe Profaci with Frank Costello inspiring the film.

http://listverse.com/2014/02/10/10-real ... godfather/
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Pogo The Clown wrote:
SonnyBlackstein wrote:The Decav's had relations with the Columbo's?

Could you elaborate/explain please mate?

DeCavalcante Acting Bosses Vinny Palermo and Jimmy Palermo (no relation to each other) each had brothers who were made members in the Colombos (Patsy and Junior Palermo). Vinny Palermo in particular was very close to a lot of Colombos. Also I suspect that in the early 90s the DeCavalcante's made guy's who had been rejected for membership in the Colombos.

In addition Colombo Soldier Anthony Strapoli was nabbed in the big DeCavalcante busts of 1999/2000 (the only NY made member nabbed with the DeCavalcante's in that bust). In the indictment it mentioned the DeCavalcante's running a bookmaking operation with the Colombos (the Gambinos were also partners in that).

Another interesting tidbit, Tony Sirico who of course plays Pauie Walnuts, is/was a friend of Colombo Capo Jimmy Clemenza and his brother Jerry (Colombo Soldier). If my memory is right Sirico was a Colombo Associate in his early days before he turned his life around.

Pogo
Where does the info come from about Junior Palermo being Jimmy Palermo's brother? I'm not saying it's wrong but I've never seen anything to confirm it. Jimmy and his brother Simone were both DeCavalcante members of course and their family was from Ribera, so I'm curious where the Junior Palermo info comes from. Any idea what Junior's full name is?
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

I thought the Lupertazzis were based on the Gambinos.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

123JoeSchmo wrote:I always thought the Corleone Family was based off the Genovese Family, but I could be wrong
The family itself has the most in common with the Bonannos and Genoveses.
123JoeSchmo
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by 123JoeSchmo »

Lupara wrote:I thought the Lupertazzis were based on the Gambinos.
I always thought so too. The events of season 5 could have been based off the Colombos, but as far as the actual family? We heard Tony state to Chris they had about 200 soldiers, and only two families in NYC have, at most, that many.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Where does the info come from about Junior Palermo being Jimmy Palermo's brother? I'm not saying it's wrong but I've never seen anything to confirm it. Jimmy and his brother Simone were both DeCavalcante members of course and their family was from Ribera, so I'm curious where the Junior Palermo info comes from. Any idea what Junior's full name is?

Actually scratch that. Looking at my records it looks like Patsy and Junior Palermo are one and the same. I believe the original confusion comes from an old report mistakingly listing Junior Palermo as Jimmy's brother.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Chicago wrote:I think the Lupertazzi Family was a generic mixture of any of the 5 N.Y. Families.
This ^
All roads lead to New York.
InCamelot
Straightened out

Post by InCamelot »

Old thread, sorry to bump it since maybe these Sopranos topics are supposed to be in other sections.. but just a couple quick thoughts I thought it'd be good to have written down somewhere to share.

It would be pretty restricting creatively to pin yourself down on having to base something on just one family. That's saying "OK this is the family the Lupertazzi's are supposed to be, so we can only draw from stuff that happened to them".
Its not likely they'd want to do that.

However you can think of it as: in the writer's minds, when they were imagining the Lupertazzi's.."where did the Lupertazzi's likely fit in amongst the 5 families".

But I thought it'd be worth noting that if we started by only looking at the actual facts stated in the show:

- The Colombos are mentioned as "the Colombos" when Paulie talks to Sil and Bobby about going to war with Phil in Season 6B. So they can't be the Colombos.
- "This latest case on Joe Massino" is mentioned in Season 5 when Adriana talks to the FBI agent. That should be roughly 2004-2005. So can't be the Bonannos.
- "John Gotti" is mentioned I think at least in a couple occasions. When Tony plays golf with those wonderbread wop guys, and by Chris when complaining about something else (to be honest the complaining is so much more of the show than the mob plot stuff, which is why its brilliant). So I think unless we're thinking Gotti went away then they put in old Carmine Lupertazzi in there and he had enough influence to rename the family....Probably not the Gambinos.
- In episode 2 of season 1, the TV interview with the soldier-turned-rat (I think his name was Vincent Rizzo?), the TV labels him as "former solider of the Genovese family".....Again unless we wanna say Lupertazzi managed to get the media (and I guess fellow mobsters?) to start calling the Genovese family the Lupertazzi family in..1-2 years (when Carmine makes his first appearance)...its not likely to be the Genovese. Plus do we see anything "Westside"-ish about how the Lupertazzi's did things? Lol.
- The Lupertazzi's seem to be based heaviest in Brooklyn, Queens and Jersey. No mention of Harlem or the Bronx at all. So how likely are they to be the Genovese, really?

I know the Lucchese's have a strong Bronx/Harlem base in reality, but:

The only family not mentioned is the Lucchese's. Except that one time in Season 1 when Meadow lists all the five families, but I think that was in the context of what she thought were LCN's origins. Outside of that, there's no mention of their slightly closer to the present relation to reality.

Actually expounding on that to go into more speculative stuff...if you listen to the dialogue in the Sopranos:

- No mention of Tony Ducks.
- No mention of Vic and Gas.
- There IS mention of "Vito Genovese", "Carlo Gambio", "Joe Bonanno", "Albert Anastasia", "Joe Colombo", "Sammy Gravano", the Banana war.
- They seem to have a heavy hand in construction. Don't see as much about drug dealing. (more Luke's than Gambinos, then? Don't know.)
- No mention of Canada.
- No indication of zips that work for them (this one you can take it or leave it, hard to tell)
- You could argue the in-fighting started by Johnny Sack, Phil, the whole "destroy NJ" ordeal near the finale was an artistic expression of the Luke's experiences. They just shifted the names and the timeline. (Vic & Gas, whack Jersey, prudent UB maybe boss heavily into construction) When they're coming up with stuff its more about expressing the experience and what it feels like, less about simply "getting the facts straight". Facts are disputed every so often in history anyway, it seems (which is why I don't get the hate for The Irishman. Its not a documentary. But anyway..).

You can argue "well they said there's 200 soliders and the Luke's no way had that many". So let's say you'd be right about that. Even if that isn't an accurate depiction of the Luke's in the early 2000s, that could simply be a writer not happening to know that fact OR even a writer changing it for the sake of whatever else he valued more in the scene OR Tony simply getting the numbers wrong, or exaggerating (he does that all the time).

Plus writer's dont necessarily have all the info we have on forums now. Anyway my point is more that "they probably imagined them fitting somewhere in around the Lucchese's", not "they were based on the Lucchese's" -- although its possible they seemed to be interested in expressing similar historical behaviour the Lucchese's ended up expressing.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

SantoClaus
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by SantoClaus »

Cool example!

Has there ever been a NYC, number #2 guy, who becomes #1, who moved to Jersey? (Johnny Sak).

They mention Lucky Luciano (Genovese), I think when Paulie says, Salvatore Luciana would be rolling in his grave. I don’t know what the problem was, maybe Vito.
“To know and not to do, is not to know”
Raven
Straightened out

Post by Raven »

SantoClaus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:29 pm Cool example!

Has there ever been a NYC, number #2 guy, who becomes #1, who moved to Jersey? (Johnny Sak).

They mention Lucky Luciano (Genovese), I think when Paulie says, Salvatore Luciana would be rolling in his grave. I don’t know what the problem was, maybe Vito.
Vito Genoese & Albert Anastasia both moved to New Jersey
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

InCamelot wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:06 pm Old thread, sorry to bump it since maybe these Sopranos topics are supposed to be in other sections.. but just a couple quick thoughts I thought it'd be good to have written down somewhere to share.

It would be pretty restricting creatively to pin yourself down on having to base something on just one family. That's saying "OK this is the family the Lupertazzi's are supposed to be, so we can only draw from stuff that happened to them".
Its not likely they'd want to do that.

However you can think of it as: in the writer's minds, when they were imagining the Lupertazzi's.."where did the Lupertazzi's likely fit in amongst the 5 families".

But I thought it'd be worth noting that if we started by only looking at the actual facts stated in the show:

- The Colombos are mentioned as "the Colombos" when Paulie talks to Sil and Bobby about going to war with Phil in Season 6B. So they can't be the Colombos.
- "This latest case on Joe Massino" is mentioned in Season 5 when Adriana talks to the FBI agent. That should be roughly 2004-2005. So can't be the Bonannos.
- "John Gotti" is mentioned I think at least in a couple occasions. When Tony plays golf with those wonderbread wop guys, and by Chris when complaining about something else (to be honest the complaining is so much more of the show than the mob plot stuff, which is why its brilliant). So I think unless we're thinking Gotti went away then they put in old Carmine Lupertazzi in there and he had enough influence to rename the family....Probably not the Gambinos.
- In episode 2 of season 1, the TV interview with the soldier-turned-rat (I think his name was Vincent Rizzo?), the TV labels him as "former solider of the Genovese family".....Again unless we wanna say Lupertazzi managed to get the media (and I guess fellow mobsters?) to start calling the Genovese family the Lupertazzi family in..1-2 years (when Carmine makes his first appearance)...its not likely to be the Genovese. Plus do we see anything "Westside"-ish about how the Lupertazzi's did things? Lol.
- The Lupertazzi's seem to be based heaviest in Brooklyn, Queens and Jersey. No mention of Harlem or the Bronx at all. So how likely are they to be the Genovese, really?

I know the Lucchese's have a strong Bronx/Harlem base in reality, but:

The only family not mentioned is the Lucchese's. Except that one time in Season 1 when Meadow lists all the five families, but I think that was in the context of what she thought were LCN's origins. Outside of that, there's no mention of their slightly closer to the present relation to reality.

Actually expounding on that to go into more speculative stuff...if you listen to the dialogue in the Sopranos:

- No mention of Tony Ducks.
- No mention of Vic and Gas.
- There IS mention of "Vito Genovese", "Carlo Gambio", "Joe Bonanno", "Albert Anastasia", "Joe Colombo", "Sammy Gravano", the Banana war.
- They seem to have a heavy hand in construction. Don't see as much about drug dealing. (more Luke's than Gambinos, then? Don't know.)
- No mention of Canada.
- No indication of zips that work for them (this one you can take it or leave it, hard to tell)
- You could argue the in-fighting started by Johnny Sack, Phil, the whole "destroy NJ" ordeal near the finale was an artistic expression of the Luke's experiences. They just shifted the names and the timeline. (Vic & Gas, whack Jersey, prudent UB maybe boss heavily into construction) When they're coming up with stuff its more about expressing the experience and what it feels like, less about simply "getting the facts straight". Facts are disputed every so often in history anyway, it seems (which is why I don't get the hate for The Irishman. Its not a documentary. But anyway..).

You can argue "well they said there's 200 soliders and the Luke's no way had that many". So let's say you'd be right about that. Even if that isn't an accurate depiction of the Luke's in the early 2000s, that could simply be a writer not happening to know that fact OR even a writer changing it for the sake of whatever else he valued more in the scene OR Tony simply getting the numbers wrong, or exaggerating (he does that all the time).

Plus writer's dont necessarily have all the info we have on forums now. Anyway my point is more that "they probably imagined them fitting somewhere in around the Lucchese's", not "they were based on the Lucchese's" -- although its possible they seemed to be interested in expressing similar historical behaviour the Lucchese's ended up expressing.
I called the Lukes first off the bat. I win.

Seriously though, I think the above is a very, very good post. I cannot find fault with the reasoning. Well done mate. Sincerely.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Pogo, CC, Lupara, WG..... I do not see any prostrating?
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.