Springfield Genovese chart, May 2004

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JoePuzzles234
Straightened out

Springfield Genovese chart, May 2004

Post by JoePuzzles234 »

Anthony Arillotta's book is coming out a week from now (September 17th), so this post might be a useful comparison to his info. It's based off what has been generally established already about the crew as well as some new info from Nicholas Parisi's Springfield book (City of Betrayal) that came out in August.

~May 2004 is used as it is 6 months since the Bruno murder and seems to be around the time when the C&S Vending (Sarno cousins) extortion began

Arillotta Group (Direct with Arthur Nigro)
Arthur Nigro aka Artie (Ruling Panel/Acting Admin)
DOB: 06/17/1944

John Bologna aka Big John (FBI informant)
DOB:
- associate & messenger for Nigro/DeLuca? Gambino associate?

Members:
Anthony Jude Arillotta Jr. aka Bingy
DOB: 04/02/1968

Emilio Fusco aka Kid (Formally with Springfield crew)
DOB: 10/09/1968
- despite their previous issues and Fusco technically being under Tranghese, it seems like he was "actually" with Arillotta

Associates:
Joseph Basile aka Joey
DOB:
- identical to the Joseph Basile formerly proposed for membership (thanks to OC Sleeper for confirming this with Arillotta)

Albert Calvanese aka Animal
DOB: 02/28/1963

David Cecchetelli aka Chicky
DOB: 10/10/1967

Francesco Depergola aka Sammy Shark
DOB: 07/25/1956

Fotios Geas aka Freddy
DOB: 04/04/1967

Ty Geas
DOB: 01/16/1972

Frankie A. Roche (Res Tampa)
DOB: 01/23/1973
- probably not formerly an associate but affiliated with the Geas brothers

Amedeo Santaniello aka Amato
DOB: 09/21/1938

Ralph Santaniello aka Ralphie
DOB: 08/03/1967

Louis Santos aka Lou the Shoe (SFPD informant?)
DOB: 05/17/1964

Anthony J. Scibelli
DOB: 11/30/1967

Richard Valentini aka Richie
DOB: 10/12/1964

- various others possibly (Gerald Daniele, Italo Santaniello etc.)

Formal Springfield Crew
Captain:
Felix L. Tranghese aka Little Felix
DOB: 11/23/1951
- acting captain?

Members:
Anthony J. DeLevo aka Bates (FMC Devens 04/12/2005)
DOB: 01/02/1940
- former captain?

Mario William Fiore aka Choda
DOB: 06/03/1924

Carlo Mastrototaro aka Carmine (Worcester)
DOB: 07/03/1920
- NYC crew?

Frank A. Pugliano aka Frankie Pugs
DOB: 04/11/1928

Albert A. Scibelli aka Baba (Shelved)
DOB: 06/19/1920

Anthony Volpe Sr. aka Tony (Hartford)
DOB: 09/19/1932
- NYC crew? not a member?

Associates:
Anthony Basile
DOB:
- unsure of his relation to Joey Basile, he was around Ceravolo

Reno Ceravolo aka Remo
DOB: 03/14/1964
- previously proposed for membership

Rex Cunningham Jr.
DOB: 02/13/1951

Brian M. Hoyle
DOB: 09/02/1957

Louis F. Pugliano aka Louie Pugs (FBOP LIFE)
DOB: 08/17/1926

Ralph A. Santaniello Jr. aka Ralphie
DOB: 03/11/1959

Andrew J. Scibelli aka Turk
DOB: 10/03/1951

- probably several others as well

Manzi Group:
Carminuccio Manzi aka Carmine
DOB: 05/30/1949

Giuseppe Manzi aka Villa Joe
DOB: 07/31/1972

Giuseppe Manzi aka Little Joe
DOB: 08/12/1974

- others

Not sure who the Manzis would have been under (if anybody), given the problems with Arillotta and the Scibellis not being in power anymore
"I can’t deal with this. I can’t believe it goes on there. I can’t. Only in Ohio.” - Carmine Agnello
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Re: Springfield Genovese chart, May 2004

Post by CornerBoy »

wonder why cecchetelli never got strommed? lol
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
mike68
Straightened out

Post by mike68 »

Two Joe Manzi's? Are they cousins?
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

What is the name of the book?
JoePuzzles234
Straightened out

Post by JoePuzzles234 »

mike68 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 9:14 am Two Joe Manzi's? Are they cousins?
They are cousins, Carmine's son is Little Joe and Villa is his nephew
Cheech wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 9:20 am What is the name of the book?
South End Syndicate: How I Took Over the Genovese Springfield Crew

Amazon link here
"I can’t deal with this. I can’t believe it goes on there. I can’t. Only in Ohio.” - Carmine Agnello
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Good work. Couple of thoughts that spring to mind:

- In one of his interviews (believe it may have been one of his interviews with Scott), Arillotta says he never actually registered the Geas brothers as associates. So while they were absolutely with him operationally, they were never put on record officially.

- Carlo Mastrototaro ended up as captain of a separate crew with Frank Pugliano assigned to him. It would appear not long after getting out of prison in the 1980s. In a recorded conversation from July 1989, Patriarca member Louis Failla was picked up saying, 'Going to meet Carlo next week. Get properly introduced. Frankie's bringing him. That's Frankie's caporegime, you know. Frankie wants to bring me to him and introduce him properly.'

- Mastrototaro likely retained his position. He was indicted as a captain in the 1990s alongside Springfield capo Frank Scibelli. In interviews, Arillotta refers to Mastrototaro as the 'boss' in Worcester in the same way he refers to the Springfield captain as a boss.

- You can include Eugene O'Nofrio as a proposed member in Connecticut. Matty Ianniello sponsored him but for some reason the family wanted the Springfield crew to make him, but it didn't happen until later.

- When Anthony Volpe was indicted in the 1990s he was carried as a member, but in the 2000s John Bologna told the FBI he was an associate unsuccessfully proposed for membership by Mario Gigante because he was deemed 'too old'. Then again, Bologna was selective in his information and did deliberately obscure membership/positions to protect certain individuals (namely Nigro and Arillotta).

- One thing I thought was interesting is that at the time of the Bruno murder, Felix Tranghese didn't know that Arillotta was a member (Arillotta was deliberately not introduced to the other Springfield members). That's why, when Emilio Fusco obtained the 302, it was Tranghese who brought it down to New York to show Nigro (as well as the fact that Fusco himself couldn't travel to New York because of his bond).

==========

So at the time of Bruno's murder this is the membership set-up I have:

Reporting direct to the administration:
- Anthony Arillotta

Capodecina: Adolfo Bruno
- Anthony Delevo
- Mario Fiore
- Emilio Fusco
- Albert Scibelli
- Felix Tranghese

Capodecina: Carlo Mastrototaro
- Frank Pugliano

Proposed members:
- Joseph Basile (former)
- Reno Ceravolo (former)
- Eugene O'Nofrio (sponsored by M Ianniello)
- Anthony Volpe (sponsored by M Gigante, possibly made)
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

@gohn where did you get that info about Onofrio being made by springfield?
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Arillotta said this on the now-defunct Johnny and Gene Show when they brought him, Bobby Luisi, and Paul Tanso on the same episode:
They actually wanted us to straighten out a couple of guys in our area because they didn’t want to do it in New York so they wanted us to actually do the straightening out. Like this one guy that’s there now they wanted us to straighten him out back in – they wanted Bruno actually to straighten him out in 2001. He was around Matty the Horse and they wanted us to straighten him out. Why? Because nobody wanted to straighten him out in New York and have that you know risk of him that – cause when you propose someone and you straighten him out now you’re responsible for him. So they wanted us to do it to get that guy – he never ended up getting – he got straightened out years later.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

chin_gigante wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:33 pm Arillotta said this on the now-defunct Johnny and Gene Show when they brought him, Bobby Luisi, and Paul Tanso on the same episode:
They actually wanted us to straighten out a couple of guys in our area because they didn’t want to do it in New York so they wanted us to actually do the straightening out. Like this one guy that’s there now they wanted us to straighten him out back in – they wanted Bruno actually to straighten him out in 2001. He was around Matty the Horse and they wanted us to straighten him out. Why? Because nobody wanted to straighten him out in New York and have that you know risk of him that – cause when you propose someone and you straighten him out now you’re responsible for him. So they wanted us to do it to get that guy – he never ended up getting – he got straightened out years later.
Thanks. He was around the Gambinos prior to that. Falling over drugs iirc
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

JoePuzzles234
Straightened out

Post by JoePuzzles234 »

chin_gigante wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 2:21 pm - In one of his interviews (believe it may have been one of his interviews with Scott), Arillotta says he never actually registered the Geas brothers as associates. So while they were absolutely with him operationally, they were never put on record officially.
I had not seen this, pretty interesting info. Like you say they were eventually very clearly with him, not like they could be poached either way.
- Mastrototaro likely retained his position. He was indicted as a captain in the 1990s alongside Springfield capo Frank Scibelli. In interviews, Arillotta refers to Mastrototaro as the 'boss' in Worcester in the same way he refers to the Springfield captain as a boss.
Thanks for clarifying this, details online were vague.
- You can include Eugene O'Nofrio as a proposed member in Connecticut. Matty Ianniello sponsored him but for some reason the family wanted the Springfield crew to make him, but it didn't happen until later.
His connection to the Ianniello crew confused me and is why he was not included, thanks for that. As a proposed associate would he formally be with Matty or Springfield?
- When Anthony Volpe was indicted in the 1990s he was carried as a member, but in the 2000s John Bologna told the FBI he was an associate unsuccessfully proposed for membership by Mario Gigante because he was deemed 'too old'. Then again, Bologna was selective in his information and did deliberately obscure membership/positions to protect certain individuals (namely Nigro and Arillotta).
Originally saw this on your 302 notes for Bologna, hopefully Arillotta's book helps to identify his status.
- One thing I thought was interesting is that at the time of the Bruno murder, Felix Tranghese didn't know that Arillotta was a member (Arillotta was deliberately not introduced to the other Springfield members). That's why, when Emilio Fusco obtained the 302, it was Tranghese who brought it down to New York to show Nigro (as well as the fact that Fusco himself couldn't travel to New York because of his bond).
This makes a lot more sense now, I had thought previously that Arillotta was just not interested in being involved with Bruno anymore and that's why he didn't do anything about the "informant" documentation. The Fusco bond detail also ties things up nicely, my thoughts had been around him being from Italy and not knowing anybody in New York - though that's probably just a bad assumption on my part/missed info
So at the time of Bruno's murder this is the membership set-up I have:

Capodecina: Carlo Mastrototaro
- Frank Pugliano
Would this affiliation continue into the 2000s? Given that Pugliano was eventually approached to take over the Springfield crew, maybe at some point he transferred and was under DeLevo/Bruno/Tranghese?
Proposed members:
- Joseph Basile (former)
- Reno Ceravolo (former)
The narrative on why these two guys were not made seems to vary, this is from Parisi's book:

Basile told Arillotta he was not able to participate in the Dadabo contract and Anthony then relayed it to Bologna who then presumably told someone like Nigro and that's how Basile was knocked back. The book notes that his reasoning for backing out might've been related to the rumours around Bologna being an informant.

Regarding Ceravolo, he was a full-time construction worker and couldn't make the time to partake in the planning for the murder and was removed because of that.

(above might not be new info)
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Al bruno told big john he had 6 7 guys under him in Massachusetts meaning made guys this was 02 03it ended up in a file. Don't think it included Anthony wasn't made at Bruno time. Probably old guys to. Volpe was caught on wire speaking about his induction in 1993. He told someone he was waiting forever and sky ball got him made. He was indicted shortly after did time. Carlo was low-key al darco would see in Manhattan I'm assuming visiting chins place late 80tys. Safe to say he was direct with the bosses in NYC and a conduit to the Boston n providence mob being he was in worcester
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

JoePuzzles234 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 3:12 pm
His connection to the Ianniello crew confused me and is why he was not included, thanks for that. As a proposed associate would he formally be with Matty or Springfield?
Officially an Ianniello associate I would say, especially considering O'Nofrio later becomes acting captain for Conrad. In another interview, Arillotta said O'Nofrio had been in prison with Matty.
JoePuzzles234 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2024 3:12 pm Would this affiliation continue into the 2000s? Given that Pugliano was eventually approached to take over the Springfield crew, maybe at some point he transferred and was under DeLevo/Bruno/Tranghese?
Unless anything explicit comes out identifying Pugliano as being back in the Springfield decina, I'd keep him under Mastrototaro. It's certainly possible that he got put back in the crew, but not necessary. Plenty of cases of a guy from one crew being picked out and put in charge of another crew at one time or another. Even Arillotta is an example of this to some extent, as he technically was not a member of the Springfield decina (if anything you could argue being under Nigro made him a member of the 116th Street crew), but clearly he had operational authority over western MA.
JoePuzzles234
Straightened out

Post by JoePuzzles234 »

chin_gigante wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:30 am Officially an Ianniello associate I would say, especially considering O'Nofrio later becomes acting captain for Conrad. In another interview, Arillotta said O'Nofrio had been in prison with Matty.

Unless anything explicit comes out identifying Pugliano as being back in the Springfield decina, I'd keep him under Mastrototaro. It's certainly possible that he got put back in the crew, but not necessary. Plenty of cases of a guy from one crew being picked out and put in charge of another crew at one time or another. Even Arillotta is an example of this to some extent, as he technically was not a member of the Springfield decina (if anything you could argue being under Nigro made him a member of the 116th Street crew), but clearly he had operational authority over western MA.
Thanks, very interesting to see that the crews were actually fairly spread out across different parts of the family.

Are there any others that were identified as being with Ianniello in Connecticut? James Galante and that bunch come to mind
davidf1989
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by davidf1989 »

The name of Anthony Arrilotta's book is South End Syndicate: How I Took Over the Genovese Springfield Crew. Here is the link to the book on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com.au/South-End-Syn ... 8&qid=&sr=

does anyone know if John Bologna was Arrilotta's boss since he reported to Nigro?