General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Snakes
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Snakes »

Lombardo's status post-imprisonment (round one) is still kind of a mystery. There is evidence suggesting he was "shelved," and Frank Calabrese even used that word to describe Lombardo. Even so, I'd think Lombardo would still hold a lot of weight on Grand Avenue, so if he wanted Bock gone, he could probably have gotten his way. He was still meeting with Andriacchi while he was "shelved" (again, according to Frank) so Andriacchi could presumably have also added his influence to any decision on Bock. What's ironic (if true), is that upon his release, Lombardo -- at least according to one informant -- was angling to "reassert control" over drug dealing done by the Outfit. This is the only thing I've seen concerning this, though. Another informant described Lombardo's role as that of a "consultant" and that he was still considered a "powerful force" within the Outfit, who was also working to "reassemble his old Grand Avenue Crew." If this is true, and Lombardo was later shelved, there must have been something that influenced that decision. Tony and I have speculated on a lot of reasons why, but until something comes out (I'm trying) that describes in more detail his role in the Outfit in the 90s and 2000s, it's going to remain speculation.
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

Snakes wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:54 pm Lombardo's status post-imprisonment (round one) is still kind of a mystery. There is evidence suggesting he was "shelved," and Frank Calabrese even used that word to describe Lombardo. Even so, I'd think Lombardo would still hold a lot of weight on Grand Avenue, so if he wanted Bock gone, he could probably have gotten his way. He was still meeting with Andriacchi while he was "shelved" (again, according to Frank) so Andriacchi could presumably have also added his influence to any decision on Bock. What's ironic (if true), is that upon his release, Lombardo -- at least according to one informant -- was angling to "reassert control" over drug dealing done by the Outfit. This is the only thing I've seen concerning this, though. Another informant described Lombardo's role as that of a "consultant" and that he was still considered a "powerful force" within the Outfit, who was also working to "reassemble his old Grand Avenue Crew." If this is true, and Lombardo was later shelved, there must have been something that influenced that decision. Tony and I have speculated on a lot of reasons why, but until something comes out (I'm trying) that describes in more detail his role in the Outfit in the 90s and 2000s, it's going to remain speculation.
One of the more interesting questions of the 90s /2000s outfit from my seat. If he was nothing else, Lonbardo was a true hustler. My own pet theory was that he made one too many power plays behind the scenes and pissed off some other powerful people ( Andriacchi? Difronzo? Monteleone?). This is all total theory of course.

And we have no solid evidence that he was indeed “ shelved”. He very well could have served as the consigliere as also has been suggested.
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

@Polack here is another one 'from the boys' - this guy Richard Zuniga has been discussed on this forum previously by Fratto and others as being around Grand Avenue and Joseph Bravieri. On his obit it lists Maria Koroluk as the 'love of his life' and these guys are wondering if that is Paul Koroluk's current wife (who then shacked up with Zuniga after Paul went to prison) or what the story is there. Any ideas?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/obituari ... hicago-il/
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

I think the claim is correct. Maria Zuniga is the same person as Maria Koroluk, maiden name Maria Vargas. As Zuniga’s obit described her as the “love of his life”, it wouldn’t surprise me if she was originally Zuniga’s chick when they were younger, then got with Paulie K, and then got back together with Zuniga. These guys all were from the same section of Grand Ave and were C-Notes together, so like one big extended family basically.

As a reminder, Ritchie Zuñiga was convicted with Joey Bravieri for the brutal double homicide of their confederate Carmie Sarlo and Sarlo’s chick, Joann Gasic, in 1988. The murder seemed to have stemmed from a dispute over cocaine distribution. So far as I know, all of these guys were C-Notes (I used to know some of the Sarlos when I was a kid, they had some crazy guys in that family). Both Bravieri and Zuniga were convicted and I believe sentenced to life in separate bench trials, but it seems that Zuniga’s conviction was later partially overturned on appeal on the grounds of incompetent counsel at trial. Bravieri tried to appeal on similar grounds but his appeal was denied and he was represented in the 2000s in a suit about this by famed mob-connected Chicago defense attorney Ed Genson (a family acquaintance of mine, though I don’t think I ever met him personally).

Ritchie’s brother Rey Zuniga was probably also a gangbanger, as he was shot in the head and killed at a bar by Western and Iowa in 1991 (place used to be called TJ’s back in the day, now it’s some hipster dive bar, next to Rich’s Polish Deli).
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Just to continue the theme of these old Grand Ave families. The Bravieris were already established by Erie and Wolcott by the 1920s (incidentally, the DiFronzos and D’Antonios also lived on this block). Giuseppe Bravieri, grandfather of Joey Bravieri and father of mob associates Arthur and Richard Bravieri, was from the comune of Aulla in Tuscany. He was thus not Southern Italian. Interesting to note though that his 1928 naturalization was witnessed by Francesco Gagliardo, a native of Bagheria who had lived on Erie for years and operated a shoe repair business in Logan Square. I strongly suspect that Francesco Gagliardo was a cousin of Giovanni Gagliardo, a wealthy Bagherese produce wholesaler and partner of the Morici brothers that I mentioned above, who was killed in 1919 in Little Sicily with his driver after reporting to police that he had been “marked for death” by notorious mafia gunman Pietro Montalbano. One can imagine that as paesani in the same neighborhood, the Gagliardo and Graziano families would have been well-acquainted
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:26 pm I think the claim is correct. Maria Zuniga is the same person as Maria Koroluk, maiden name Maria Vargas. As Zuniga’s obit described her as the “love of his life”, it wouldn’t surprise me if she was originally Zuniga’s chick when they were younger, then got with Paulie K, and then got back together with Zuniga. These guys all were from the same section of Grand Ave and were C-Notes together, so like one big extended family basically.

As a reminder, Ritchie Zuñiga was convicted with Joey Bravieri for the brutal double homicide of their confederate Carmie Sarlo and Sarlo’s chick, Joann Gasic, in 1988. The murder seemed to have stemmed from a dispute over cocaine distribution. So far as I know, all of these guys were C-Notes (I used to know some of the Sarlos when I was a kid, they had some crazy guys in that family). Both Bravieri and Zuniga were convicted and I believe sentenced to life in separate bench trials, but it seems that Zuniga’s conviction was later partially overturned on appeal on the grounds of incompetent counsel at trial. Bravieri tried to appeal on similar grounds but his appeal was denied and he was represented in the 2000s in a suit about this by famed mob-connected Chicago defense attorney Ed Genson (a family acquaintance of mine, though I don’t think I ever met him personally).

Ritchie’s brother Rey Zuniga was probably also a gangbanger, as he was shot in the head and killed at a bar by Western and Iowa in 1991 (place used to be called TJ’s back in the day, now it’s some hipster dive bar, next to Rich’s Polish Deli).
That story on the murders is quite brutal and sad.

Zuniga and Sarlo were being tried together on burglary charges prior to this murder - I believe this is the more likely motive. I was told Bravieri's son 'Franco' is an up and coming white rapper and gang banger in Chicago. Zuniga's nephew was indicted for murder alongside Paul Koruluk Jr. for murder in the 1990s.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/1988/02/ ... d-reunion/

I wondered whether these guys would have had any connection to the famous Handhardt/D'Antonio burglary ring that was going on at the time or whether they were all just young punks. Koruluk and Panozzo remind me of the Bath Avenue guys in Brooklyn - just really rough stuff, a lot of drugs and street crimes. Ripping off innocent people in the suburbs. Not really the mob life you think of.
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

Sorry if this is was already posted - no idea Bobby 'The Gabeet' Bellavia did these interviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CaGRexaue8
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

Two things I thought were interesting from that interiew: Bellavia grew up in what I believe is Lincoln Park (Arlington near Halstead) and he mentions doing scores with Jerry 'Witherhand' Scalise, who I believe is still alive. Also interesting stories about Bill Handhardt - anyone know who his 'uncle on Grand Avenue' was? Was that Jonny DeBiase?
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

NorthBuffalo wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:17 am Sorry if this is was already posted - no idea Bobby 'The Gabeet' Bellavia did these interviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CaGRexaue8
Don't think I've seen this, thanks.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

What the fuck is a "Gabeet"?
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Ivan wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:50 am What the fuck is a "Gabeet"?
“Ha Capito”.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:51 am
Ivan wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:50 am What the fuck is a "Gabeet"?
“Ha Capito”.
Awesome, thank you. :lol:

Sir: I have heard that "Negall" (Joe Ferriola) is a corruption of "(Charles) De Gaulle". I have trouble believing this. Is it correct?

Bellavia to my eyes and ears comes across as intelligent and articulate in that video. (Enthusiasm for Sudoku expressed at the end reinforced by "intelligent" perception -- dumb people don't do number game shit for fun.) Antiliar's source said (as of 2022ish) he was "heavy in the street" in spite of being 150 years old.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

“Negal” was just phonetic. Ferriola was called Joe Nicol’ or Joe Nick because his father’s name was Nicola. Back in the day, they used to call kids by their dad’s name (they even had this on the Sopranos, “Tony Uncle Johnny”).
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

thanks Tony
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

NorthBuffalo wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 8:23 am Two things I thought were interesting from that interiew: Bellavia grew up in what I believe is Lincoln Park (Arlington near Halstead) and he mentions doing scores with Jerry 'Witherhand' Scalise, who I believe is still alive. Also interesting stories about Bill Handhardt - anyone know who his 'uncle on Grand Avenue' was? Was that Jonny DeBiase?
The Bellavias are from Taylor St (845 W Arthington, by Halsted). I’ve posted about his background in the origin thread before.

Now here’s something really interesting. One of Bill Hanhardt’s aunts, Maria DiGilio (sister of his mother Sarah DiGilio), was married to Anthony Caminiti. Caminiti was born in 1913 in Chicago to Silvestro Caminiti, a native of Santa Flavia who operated a plumbing business in Little Sicily, and Louisa Barbanera, daughter of a Chicago produce wholesaler from Palermo City. Silvestro Caminiti’s brother Giuseppe was the father of Milwaukee member Joe Caminiti (who was originally with the Aiello faction in Chicago and subsequently transferred to Milwaukee). Thus, Anthony and Joe Caminiti were first cousins. I’d very much suspect that this might be the Hanhardt uncle that Bellavia mentioned. Though he didn’t live in the Grand Ave neighborhood, Little Sicily and Grand Ave were basically right next to each other.