Gambino Family Succession Highlights

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

quadtree
Straightened out

Re: Gambino Family Succession Highlights

Post by quadtree »

johnny_scootch wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:48 pm
B. wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:51 pm Some things to keep in mind.

- When a boss dies, the underboss and capidecine lose their official ranks and the Family is officially broken.
Is that what he meant? I get what you’re saying but that’s more of a temporary suspension than a disbandment. I hear disbanded and I think Newark family which got broken up and sold off for parts but I guess the same thing happened to the Morellos to a lesser degree.
The boss not only died, he was killed and a split arose in the family. During such events, according to Mafia rules, the family is considered officially dissolved until an official boss is approved. But for this it is necessary that the conflict subsides. I don’t know if there was a conflict within the Newark family, but even the resignation of the boss made it possible to divide the family between the families of New York. I read somewhere that even the Bonanno family was planned to be divided among New York families during the Bonanno Family Civil War. This was not done, but it is curious that the commission considered the presence of an internecine conflict to be a sufficient basis for discussing family disbandment.

What we see in the history of the Genovese and Lucchese families is very similar to this situation. Only then was it decided to divide the family into two independent parts. I imagine if we resurrected D'Aquila and asked him a question about family succession, he would say that the Loiacano family officially ceases to exist with the death of Loiacano, and two new families are formed from its remains.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

quadtree wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:15 am
johnny_scootch wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:48 pm
B. wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:51 pm Some things to keep in mind.

- When a boss dies, the underboss and capidecine lose their official ranks and the Family is officially broken.
Is that what he meant? I get what you’re saying but that’s more of a temporary suspension than a disbandment. I hear disbanded and I think Newark family which got broken up and sold off for parts but I guess the same thing happened to the Morellos to a lesser degree.
The boss not only died, he was killed and a split arose in the family. During such events, according to Mafia rules, the family is considered officially dissolved until an official boss is approved. But for this it is necessary that the conflict subsides. I don’t know if there was a conflict within the Newark family, but even the resignation of the boss made it possible to divide the family between the families of New York. I read somewhere that even the Bonanno family was planned to be divided among New York families during the Bonanno Family Civil War. This was not done, but it is curious that the commission considered the presence of an internecine conflict to be a sufficient basis for discussing family disbandment.

What we see in the history of the Genovese and Lucchese families is very similar to this situation. Only then was it decided to divide the family into two independent parts. I imagine if we resurrected D'Aquila and asked him a question about family succession, he would say that the Loiacano family officially ceases to exist with the death of Loiacano, and two new families are formed from its remains.
We are missing most of the substance behind the Newark situation. Gentile said Troia staged a coup and turned the Family against D'Amico but he also erred on the timeline, thinking Troia organized the 1937 attempt on D'Amico when by then Troia was long dead and Profaci reportedly ordered it.

What we don't know is if D'Amico was still the official boss in 1937, if the break-up happened right afterward or earlier, or what the status of the Family was all around between 1935-1937.

In Sicily spanning decades Families have been disbanded temporarily (still spanning many years in some cases) and eventually regained recognition. The members reported to or maybe officially belonged to another Family in the interim. In the US, we know when a Family is having issues that members are supposed to be placed under the direction/protection of another boss until it's resolved, or if they fully disband they transfer to another borgata.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Pogo did an outstanding job on crew succession:
viewtopic.php?t=807

But I did find a descrepancy involving Trupia and Parlapiano

Corrao Crew:
Vincenzo Lo Cicero (19??-1923) Died.
Giuseppe "Don Pidduzzu" Parlapiano (19??-1947) Died
Antonio Indelicato (1947-Early/Mid 1950s)
Joseph Franco (Early/Mid 1950s-1957) Died.
Carmine “The Doctor” Lombardozzi (1957-1963) Demoted.
-Anthony “Tony the Geep” Sedotto took over part of this Crew in 1960.
Joseph Gennaro (1963-1968) Died.
-In 1967 James "Jimmy Brown" Failla was promoted to Capo over half of this Crew.
-Vincent "Jimmy the Blond" Corrao (1967-1968) Became Official Capo.
Vincent "Jimmy the Blond" Corrao (1968-1970) Demoted.
-In 1970 half of this Crew was placed with the Paul Castellano Crew.
-In 1976 some members of this Crew were placed with the Failla Crew.
Joseph "Joe Butch" Corrao (1976-2001) Died.
-In the mid-1980s some members of this Crew were placed with the Marino Crew.
-Augustus "Gus Boy" Sclafani (1993-Late 1990s) - ?
-Vincent "Vinnie Butch" Corrao (Late 1990s-1999) Imprisoned.
?John “Jackie” Cavallo (Mid 2001-200?)
-Augustus "Gus Boy" Sclafani (1999-2008?) Imprisoned.
Pasquale Marsala (2008?-Present)

Armone-Giordano Crew:
?-Umberto Valenti (????-1922) Killed.
?-Accursio Domino
Joseph "Staten Island Joe" Riccobono (19??-1957) Became Consiglieri.
Steven Armone (1957-1960) Died.
Charles “Rosario” Dongarro (1960-1970s)
-Joseph N. Gallo (1960s)
-Frank “Frankie Wops" Gagliadri (1970s) Became Official Capo.
Frank “Frankie Wops" Gagliadri (1970s-1982) Died.
-Joseph "Joe Piney" Armone (1970s-1982) Became Official Capo
Joseph "Joe Piney" Armone (1982-1986) Became UnderBoss.
John "Handsome Jack" Giordano (1986-2009) Died.
-Frank “Frankie the Hat” DiStefano (1990s-2000s)
-Joseph “Joe the Blonde" Giordano (2000s-2009) Became Official Capo.
Joseph “Joe the Blonde" Giordano (2009-2013) Died.
-Not sure who took over this Crew?

----

There were two Gambino-based Sciaccatani decine in Manhattan. One in Little Italy and another on E39, you look up names and you see a definite cluster of people living in those two areas.

For Little Italy
Accursio DiMino was the first known capo, Valente was the soldier who was dispatched by him to murder Lo Monte in 1914.
--
Joe Parlapiano is the next identified, described by zio cola.
It would seem that this crew eventually went to Lombardozzi and then Corrao.

E39th
The LoCiceros were on 39th. From Colamonaci but originally AdR where Tampa comes from. Vincenzo LoCicero was a capo in the 1920s, possibly his brother Filippo preceded him. They were connected to the Arcuris and Francos also from AdR who ere also connected to E39th.
Next up would be Trupia who lived on E39th.
Last known recent captain was a Franco I believe.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I'm not sure there is direct continuity but the crews must have had some shared historic roots. I agree the LoCicero crew likely ended up in some form under Trupia and that this fed into the Arcuri crew. The geography, background, and relationships are there. This circle looks to have been distinct from the Sciacchitani even though they were all part of the Agrigento faction. The Sciacchitani tended to be in Lower Manhattan and later Brooklyn while these guys were from further up in Manhattan then moved into Queens. They were also close to the DeCavalcante "old faction" who were Agrigentini from the same parts of Manattan and later Queens.

Trupia was from Canicatti and there were several Canicattesi who were later captains too which has made me wonder if the crews are connected, even indirectly. Salvatore Tornabe (relative of the Chicago/Buffalo Carlisi-Tornabene clan) may have been a captain as he attended Apalachin and was very close to high-ranking members in other Families, but Pietro Stincone and Francesco Rizzo are confirmed captains from Canicatti. Agostino Amato was an important Canicattese Gambino member in FL who was a business partner of Angelo Bruno and the FBI had him listed as a captain as well in the 1960s; he was originally from Upper Manattan and if he wasn't a captain it's likely he and his member sons were part of the Arcuri crew.

Beyond the captains there were a number of Gambino members from Canicatti. Years ago I found records of historic membership rolls of the Canicattese fraternal society in Astoria, Queens, where the Canicattesi migrated after Manhattan and many of the Canicattese Gambino members were on the lists unsurprisingly. Trupia was listed as a member of the society and at one point Stincone was president. Stincone interestingly was also very close to Albert Anastasia and witnessed Anastasia's naturalization. Though I'm certain Stincone knew Trupia given their shared involvement in the same compaesano society, I'm hesitant to assume he inherited his crew (or parts of it) but we have no way to confirm/deny either way and I wouldn't be surprised if Stincone was initially a member or associate of that decina.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:49 pm I'm not sure there is direct continuity but the crews must have had some shared historic roots. I agree the LoCicero crew likely ended up in some form under Trupia and that this fed into the Arcuri crew. The geography, background, and relationships are there. This circle looks to have been distinct from the Sciacchitani even though they were all part of the Agrigento faction. The Sciacchitani tended to be in Lower Manhattan and later Brooklyn while these guys were from further up in Manhattan then moved into Queens. They were also close to the DeCavalcante "old faction" who were Agrigentini from the same parts of Manattan and later Queens.
I see correlations between the LoCicero-Arcuri-Franco faction and their place within the Sciaccatani network with that of the Virzi-Riccobono-Scalici faction or the Trovato-Mangano or Castellano-Gambino factions and their place within the Palermitani network. These were not united voting blocks and quite often their daggers were points at eachother within their own networks. Gentile all but confirmed this with the Parlapiano-Trupia issues. (Now I cannot possibly speak for Anastasia but if I were in his shoes, making concessions to other Palermitani factions who were disdainful or at least indifferent towards Mangano would be my first step as they could provide the political protection to shield a reprisal. That's more or less what Gotti did 35 some odd years later.)

I recall when I first brought up LoCicero to Michael and it rang a bell in the back of his head, some distant memory. He asked an older member who instantly knew who I was talking about. Then that unraveled this whole factions of LoCiceros to Arcuris and Francos linked by family and godfather-ship to each other and to Trafficante down in Florida. Interestingly, the LoCiceros had Virzis in their family and I was trying to find a connection to the ones from Sferracavallo but was not able to. There's rumors of deeper family relationships between Palermo and Agrigento, I've heard rumors that the Gambinos were from there before moving to Palermo. I have not seen it confirmed.
B. wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:49 pm Trupia was from Canicatti and there were several Canicattesi who were later captains too which has made me wonder if the crews are connected, even indirectly. Salvatore Tornabe (relative of the Chicago/Buffalo Carlisi-Tornabene clan) may have been a captain as he attended Apalachin and was very close to high-ranking members in other Families, but Pietro Stincone and Francesco Rizzo are confirmed captains from Canicatti. Agostino Amato was an important Canicattese Gambino member in FL who was a business partner of Angelo Bruno and the FBI had him listed as a captain as well in the 1960s; he was originally from Upper Manattan and if he wasn't a captain it's likely he and his member sons were part of the Arcuri crew.
I would imagine there is. Look at Scalici, they started out in lower Manhattan, during which time they were affiliated with the Virzis-Riccobonos. He eventually moved to the Bronx and became a power there and is credited as having once been a captain there. The same thing had to have happened over the course of the century at different times. By 1963, there were multiple captains related to Carlo Gambino. At one point, the Castellano-Gambino faction likely started out as one decina. But members moved Scalici style or were placed in as captains of other crews, perhaps even more so under Gambino. It would be incorrect to take all these captains related to Carlo and say their decine all trace back to the Harlem Castellanos and Bronx Gambinos who moved to Brooklyn. When it comes to these subsets of family relatives, they almost start out as clans onto themselves who make their way into the mafia system, initially starting out as a cluster before expanding and or dispersing. There's so many dynamics that go into it that it's easier to retell a story and the events that unfolded rather than take that story and say event A will always unfold in such and such scenario. You know all this, I'm just rambling at this point.

Also during the 1960s post-Valachi the Families broke up alot of their crews, this happened with the Gens and I'm sure with the Gams as well.

*If this were 'ndrangheta and Scalici was a member of the Virzi 'ndrina, his move to the Bronx and eventual capo-ship would have perhaps made him a boss of a Virzi sub-ndrina. Fortunately, this is cosa nostra so it's easier to understand.
B. wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:49 pm Beyond the captains there were a number of Gambino members from Canicatti. Years ago I found records of historic membership rolls of the Canicattese fraternal society in Astoria, Queens, where the Canicattesi migrated after Manhattan and many of the Canicattese Gambino members were on the lists unsurprisingly. Trupia was listed as a member of the society and at one point Stincone was president. Stincone interestingly was also very close to Albert Anastasia and witnessed Anastasia's naturalization. Though I'm certain Stincone knew Trupia given their shared involvement in the same compaesano society, I'm hesitant to assume he inherited his crew (or parts of it) but we have no way to confirm/deny either way and I wouldn't be surprised if Stincone was initially a member or associate of that decina.
I'm not surprised. Years ago I found a membership list for the Belmontesi Society in Philadelphia and there were some very familiar surnames. I couldn't confirm these names were in fact the mafia members who shared them but it always made me wonder. At the very least it tells me that the Belmontesi were just as relevant in Philly as they were in Cumberland, NJ. At least demographically.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

What possible sostituiti could have existed during the Mangano era? This will be mostly speculatory.
(I can hear the Chicago guys now 'oh he can do it, but we can't, jk.)

Personal Sostituito - Phil Mangano?

Lower Manhattan Sciaccatani - Nick Gentile (confirmed)

Bronx - Frank Scalise?

New Jersey - Salvatore Chirico?

Brooklyn - Anastasia?

1 Given that Gentile's selection to the role included two factors, his Manhattan address (Mangano lived in Brooklyn) and his Agrigentinismo (Mangano was Palermitan). It's quite possible compaesanismo was a factor into some sostituito, area/territory for others.

2 We've seen various cases of Gambinos using actings despite being free. This would include Mangano using his brother, Gambino using Castellano, Gottis are a mess so skip them, and now there's allegedly Cefalu using Mannino.

3 I said this before but I think a case could be bade that there was a blue collar mostly mainland contingent in the Gambinos that had a nominal leader which passed from Anastasia to Rava to Dellacroce to Gotti. This might originate from the sostituito-management fashion. We don't know how far back it goes, for all we know, D'Aquila made more use of sostituiti than just Traina.

4 Sostituiti arguably are the closest thing to "area bosses" although I wouldn't classify or describe them as such, their roles had limitations.
Harrism
Associate

Post by Harrism »

Great thread. This makes me wonder how a Villabatese family (Colombo) formed out of a Palermitan network. How does profaci fit in to this? What connection to the guys from Palermo did he have a how did he form his own family rather than a faction within the Gambino family?
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Harrism wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:15 am Great thread. This makes me wonder how a Villabatese family (Colombo) formed out of a Palermitan network. How does profaci fit in to this? What connection to the guys from Palermo did he have a how did he form his own family rather than a faction within the Gambino family?
The Colombos didn't start as a Villabatesi Family, it was perhaps 'formed' by Mineo of Palermo, just as the Bonannos were 'formed' by Camporealesi. As for the why, a boss from Villabate is going to attract other people from there. Profaci was helping Villabatesi get jobs and assisting them financially while his Italo-American soldiers were treated like atms.

Villabate is pretty much a suburb of Palermo, it's the next commune over. John Fontana of Villabate, the killer of Palermo Mayor Notarbartolo, was a member there before coming to New York and transferring to the Gambinos. He was rumored to have a cousin in Palermo of the same name, related or not, he too would transfer to the Gambinos and get arrested in the 1903 Barrel Murder.

And interesting, all the NY Families expanded into almost all the 5 boroughs with holdings in Jersey, except the Colombos. The Colombos have always kept it to Brooklyn, the Gallos were Manhattan-based but they were the exception. I'm sure they have members in these places but there's never been- to my knowledge- a formal Colombo Jersey, Bronx, Manhattan or Staten Island crew. It's almost like D'Aquila whipped out a map, drew a line across Brooklyn, and told Mineo no one goes above this line and it held up until the 60s. That would be the Hollywood version, the reality is the Colombos were just more of a "small town" family. Brooklyn at this time and the places the Colombos were, had a small-town feel, it was a far cry away from the skyscrapers and tenements of Manhattan.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Angelo Santino wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:25 pm Pogo did an outstanding job on crew succession:
viewtopic.php?t=807

But I did find a descrepancy involving Trupia and Parlapiano

Corrao Crew:
Vincenzo Lo Cicero (19??-1923) Died.
Giuseppe "Don Pidduzzu" Parlapiano (19??-1947) Died
Joseph Franco (Early/Mid 1950s-1957) Died.
-In 1967 James "Jimmy Brown" Failla was promoted to Capo over half of this Crew.

Armone-Giordano Crew:
?-Umberto Valenti (????-1922) Killed.
?-Accursio Domino
Joseph "Staten Island Joe" Riccobono (19??-1957) Became Consiglieri.
Steven Armone (1957-1960) Died.
Charles “Rosario” Dongarro (1960-1970s)
-Joseph N. Gallo (1960s)
-Frank “Frankie Wops" Gagliadri (1970s) Became Official Capo.
Frank “Frankie Wops" Gagliadri (1970s-1982) Died.
-Joseph "Joe Piney" Armone (1970s-1982) Became Official Capo
Joseph "Joe Piney" Armone (1982-1986) Became UnderBoss.
John "Handsome Jack" Giordano (1986-2009) Died.
-Frank “Frankie the Hat” DiStefano (1990s-2000s)
-Joseph “Joe the Blonde" Giordano (2000s-2009) Became Official Capo.
Joseph “Joe the Blonde" Giordano (2009-2013) Died.
-Not sure who took over this Crew?

----

There were two Gambino-based Sciaccatani decine in Manhattan. One in Little Italy and another on E39, you look up names and you see a definite cluster of people living in those two areas.

For Little Italy
Accursio DiMino was the first known capo, Valente was the soldier who was dispatched by him to murder Lo Monte in 1914.
--
Joe Parlapiano is the next identified, described by zio cola.
It would seem that this crew eventually went to Lombardozzi and then Corrao.

E39th
The LoCiceros were on 39th. From Colamonaci but originally AdR where Tampa comes from. Vincenzo LoCicero was a capo in the 1920s, possibly his brother Filippo preceded him. They were connected to the Arcuris and Francos also from AdR who ere also connected to E39th.
Next up would be Trupia who lived on E39th.
Last known recent captain was a Franco I believe.
Revisiting these two crews, these are some humble revisions I would make.

Little Italy Decina
Sciaccatani but also open to Messinese (Valente) and Calabrians (Franco) and whatever Lombardozzi was.
Never confirmed but I speculate that both Joe Biondo and Mangiapane were both part of this decina. I based this on their both being Messinese on the Lower East Side which this decina was open to. The other decina was on E13th street headed by the Virzis-Scalise-Riccobonos until they moved to the Bronx.

1 Accursio DiMino, arrived in the early 1900s, ID'd as a capo by 1914, killed May 1924.
?
2 Giuseppe Parlapiano, ID'd in 1935, died in 1947
From there, really have nothing to add, Pogo did a great job as always.
Joseph Franco (Early/Mid 1950s-1957) Died. (Calabrese)

E39th Agrigentini Decina.
LoCicero, Arcuri, Franco- generations of involvement. Unlike the Little Italy Sciaccatani crew, the e39th were inland Agrigentini from Colamonaci, nestled between Ribera and Allesandro della Rocca which is DeCav and Tampa territory. They kept it to their own, very different than those from more urban Sciacca, which is the Palermo of the southern Sicilian coast. If I recall correctly, DiLeonardo recalled a conversation in the late 90s about this crew and they (admin/panel) didn't know how many members the Arcuri decina had, it was secretive.

Filippo LoCicero? - In the US since 1887, linked to Bettini Lupo, DAquila
Vincenzo LoCicero - bro, in the US since 1890, ID'd as a capo by 1921.
?
Gaetano Trupia - ID'd as a capo by 1935.
?
From there, I don't know. I trust Pogo.
Joseph Franco (19??-1957) Died. (AdR or Colamonaci)
Domenico Arcuri (1960s-1970) Died.
-Part of this crew broke off in the 1960s.
Joseph "Joe" Arcuri (1970-2007) Died.
-Salvatore "Sal" Franco (1990s-2007) Became Official Capo.
Salvatore "Sal" Franco (2007-Present)
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Notes on other relevant decine to the project. Courtesy of Pogo.

Traina Crew:
?-Joseph Trovato (????-1917) Killed.
Giuseppe Traina (1920-1974) Died.
-Mario “Red” Triana (1960s-1974) Became Official Capo.
Mario “Red” Triana (1974-1994) Died.
Joseph “Joe Ox” Marino (1994-Present?)

(Note: I don't think Trovato was part of the Traina factions/decina. I would put him and the Manganos in as one. But we're in speculation territory given how early things are).

DeCicco Crew:
Saverio Virzi (Early 1900s)
?-Simone Riccobono (19??-1951) Died.
-Charlie Brush (Early 1950s) Stepped Down.
John Riccobono (1957-1982/3)
-
Frank "Frankie D" DeCicco (1982/3-1985) Became UnderBoss.
George DeCicco (1985-2006) Stepped Down.
-Joseph “Sonny” Juliano (Late 1990s-2003) Imprisoned.
Joseph “Sonny” Juliano (2006-Present)

(I'm assuming somewhere it was specifically stated that DeCicco succeeded John Riccobono?)
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Joe Biondo ended up with the Joe Riccobono faction / crew and allegedly the captain Charlie Brush Dongarra was a cousin of Biondo's mentor Umberto Valente (Dongarra was from Gangi in Eastern Palermo, while Valente was from deeper into Messina province). Valente/Biondo definitely came up around Accursio Dimino so maybe there was crossover between those groups or it's possible Valente was an earlier captain over what became the Riccobono-Dongarra crew while Dimino ran a more Sciacchitano crew. Members were moved around and crews split (there being only two unbroken crews in DiLeonardo' era) so it can be hard to track these things from the outside.

The Joe Franco listed as a captain w/ the Arcuri crew is incorrect. Joe Franco (DiFranco in Gentile's telling) was a Calabrese captain and predecessor to the Lombardozzi crew. The Arcuri relatives named Franco who became members were from Naro, Agrigento, but Joe Franco was not one of them. It's probable that Salvatore Franco Sr. was a member under that crew but I'm not aware of anyone named Joe Franco apart from the Calabrese one w/ a different crew. LoCiceros were from Calamonaci (Ribera), Trupia was from Canicatti, then the Arcuris were from AdR with some guys from Naro under them. Very mysterious overall.

A possible early predecessor of Giuseppe Traina's crew could be his paesan Giuseppe Giallombardo. The Giallombardos were close to the Trainas and Giuseppe's brother Pietro Giallombardo ended up a member under Traina. I don't think there is enough evidence to reasonably say Giuseppe G was an early leader but he was significant so it's a possibility.

--

W/ the Colombos, they did have a large New Jersey crew but it split off from the Newark Family when it disbanded and did include an element from Villabate. I have a thread in mind about the early Colombos I plan on posting eventually as there is a "lost generation" of older members we don't know about whereas in the other Families we know at least some of the older names. It's very interesting they took the shape they did.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:24 am Joe Biondo ended up with the Joe Riccobono faction / crew and allegedly the captain Charlie Brush Dongarra was a cousin of Biondo's mentor Umberto Valente (Dongarra was from Gangi in Eastern Palermo, while Valente was from deeper into Messina province). Valente/Biondo definitely came up around Accursio Dimino so maybe there was crossover between those groups or it's possible Valente was an earlier captain over what became the Riccobono-Dongarra crew while Dimino ran a more Sciacchitano crew. Members were moved around and crews split (there being only two unbroken crews in DiLeonardo' era) so it can be hard to track these things from the outside.

The Joe Franco listed as a captain w/ the Arcuri crew is incorrect. Joe Franco (DiFranco in Gentile's telling) was a Calabrese captain and predecessor to the Lombardozzi crew. The Arcuri relatives named Franco who became members were from Naro, Agrigento, but Joe Franco was not one of them. It's probable that Salvatore Franco Sr. was a member under that crew but I'm not aware of anyone named Joe Franco apart from the Calabrese one w/ a different crew. LoCiceros were from Calamonaci (Ribera), Trupia was from Canicatti, then the Arcuris were from AdR with some guys from Naro under them. Very mysterious overall.

A possible early predecessor of Giuseppe Traina's crew could be his paesan Giuseppe Giallombardo. The Giallombardos were close to the Trainas and Giuseppe's brother Pietro Giallombardo ended up a member under Traina. I don't think there is enough evidence to reasonably say Giuseppe G was an early leader but he was significant so it's a possibility.

--

W/ the Colombos, they did have a large New Jersey crew but it split off from the Newark Family when it disbanded and did include an element from Villabate. I have a thread in mind about the early Colombos I plan on posting eventually as there is a "lost generation" of older members we don't know about whereas in the other Families we know at least some of the older names. It's very interesting they took the shape they did.
Regarding a possible Valente-Riccobono decina, that would imply that elements were pulled out of Elizabeth and E13th to form a new decina. There's just not enough information to speculate that specifically but we have evidence of crew splits and formations happening in the 60s and 70s and as you always emphasize, these practices go further back.

I knew there were two sets of Francos, one Calabrese and the other Narese, were captains of two different crews. But you're saying there was no Agrigentin "Joe Franco." Got it.

It's possible. But Giallombardo, Salvatore & Giuseppe Traina lived in Manhattan initially, Giallombardo moved to Brooklyn after his 5 year sentence at Sing Sing. In the mid 1910s both Traina and D'Aquila lived close to Crocivera. It's also possible Traina was made a captain after he vacated consigliere and that decina was created then.

As far as crews that existed then and today,
1 Little Italy
2 E39th
3 Traina
it would appear E39th street could have started as early as the 1890s as evidenced by Bettini's wife from the Taranto case in 1896 being in contact with Filippo LoCicero. And if E39th had something this early it's a safe bet Elizabeth Street did.

--

Looking into the Gambinos circa 1912, an estimated but by no means complete tree might look like:
B: D'Aquila
C: Traina

Possible Capidecina
*Giovanni Fontana of E105
Filippo or Vincenzo Lo Cicero of E39th
Saverio Virzi of E13th
Accursio Di Mino of Elizabeth
Vincenzo DiLeonardo (in 1910 and 18 he still lived in Little Italy)
Giuseppe Trovato of Van Brunt
*Giuseppe Fanaro also of Brooklyn.
New Jersey?

*The murders of Fontana and Fanaro were planned and carried out specifically against these men lead me to speculate that they held rank. Like the C-War, the targets were people of importance, it wasn't a GTA game. For all we know Fontana was underboss before his murder. Gunmen also attacked Virzi during this same period but he survived.
Sdunn48
Prospect

Post by Sdunn48 »

I honestly don’t believe dannarao is rava I can’t see him been in charge of half the family I think it’s Anastasia and magaddino talking about him killing scalise and this thing where everyone thinks rava was trying to become boss I think he actually wanted to be underboss it’s just stuck with people over the years, one of Mike Clemente files he talking with someone and explaining that gambino didn’t want Something red as his underboss so killed him it’s one of the files where Clemente explaining about different avugads so I honestly think rava was this red who Clemente was talking about it couldn’t have been anyone else and dannarao is Anastasia that’s just my opinion
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I could understand that based on the first part where he says "Dannarao" ordered the murder of his underboss but he then clarified that even though "Dannarao" had up to 12 captains under him, "Dannarao" was still a capodecina like them and answered only for himself.

There's a phonetic connection between "Tommy Rava" and "Danna Rao" which would be far from the worst interpretation on those tapes, where Magaddino spoke with a heavy accent on a primitive recording device. "Dannarao" was involved in the factionalism after Anastasia's death and had roughly half the captains answering to him while being a captain himself and by early 1965 "Dannarao" is dead.

Magaddino usually calls Anastasia "Tempesta" (storm) and this is the only time he refers to "Dannarao". Many years ago we speculated it could also refer to Robilotto as "Johnny Roberts" could easily become "Dannarao" too but the description of the guy better fits Rava. "Dannarao" having an underboss is the only confusing part but because Magaddino clarifies "Dannarao" was formally still a capodecina we can rule him out as boss. Most likely the underboss remark either refers to "Dannarao" killing the Family's underboss (Scalise?) or my interpretation which is that during the split Rava's group may have chosen their own admin like we saw in the 60s Bonanno war, 90s Colombo war, etc.
quadtree
Straightened out

Post by quadtree »

B. wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 11:51 am I could understand that based on the first part where he says "Dannarao" ordered the murder of his underboss but he then clarified that even though "Dannarao" had up to 12 captains under him, "Dannarao" was still a capodecina like them and answered only for himself.

There's a phonetic connection between "Tommy Rava" and "Danna Rao" which would be far from the worst interpretation on those tapes, where Magaddino spoke with a heavy accent on a primitive recording device. "Dannarao" was involved in the factionalism after Anastasia's death and had roughly half the captains answering to him while being a captain himself and by early 1965 "Dannarao" is dead.

Magaddino usually calls Anastasia "Tempesta" (storm) and this is the only time he refers to "Dannarao". Many years ago we speculated it could also refer to Robilotto as "Johnny Roberts" could easily become "Dannarao" too but the description of the guy better fits Rava. "Dannarao" having an underboss is the only confusing part but because Magaddino clarifies "Dannarao" was formally still a capodecina we can rule him out as boss. Most likely the underboss remark either refers to "Dannarao" killing the Family's underboss (Scalise?) or my interpretation which is that during the split Rava's group may have chosen their own admin like we saw in the 60s Bonanno war, 90s Colombo war, etc.
Armand Rava fits very well. If he really had 12 captains under his command, and this was really half the family, then at the time of 1957 there were 24 captains (or 25, if Rava himself is not included in the list of 12). I wonder who was on this list of 12 captains.
I think everyone agrees that there should be:
1. John Robilotto;
2. Antonio Anastasio;
There are also reasonable assumptions that this group included:
3. Vincenzo Squillante;
4. Giuseppe Franco;

Apparently the following captains were not part of Rava's faction:
1. Giuseppe Riccobono;
2. Giuseppe Gambino (if captain in 1957)
3. Bartolo Castellano (if captain in 1957)
I very much doubt that these captains were part of Rava’s faction, they were too close to traditional Sicilians:
4. Giuseppe Traina;
5. Jerome D'Aquila;

The following individuals were captains in 1957:
1. Joseph Paterno;
2. Frank Perrone;
3. Pasquale Conte (possibly);
4. Domenico Arcuri;
5. Gaetano Russo (possibly);
6. Salvatore Tornabe (possibly);
7. Joseph Colozzo (possibly);
8. Luigi Morici (possibly);
9. Ettore Zappi (possibly);
10. Agostino Amato (possibly);
Colozzo worked on the waterfront, I have suspicions that his crew is connected with the Mangano-Anastasia cluster. Also, if he was a captain that year, he is a strong candidate to be in the Rava faction. Antonino Conte was Anastasia's underboss, but he could represent another faction as part of the policy of representing both factions in the administration. At least since the end of the Castellamarese War, both factions were necessarily represented in the administration. If the boss was a representative of one, then the underboss was a representative of the other, here are examples:
1. Vincent Mangano (boss, faction?), Albert Anastasia (underboss, Rava faction), Giuseppe Biondo (consigliere, Scalici faction);
2. Albert Anastasia (boss, Rava faction) / Frank Scalici (underboss and/or consigliere, Scalici faction);
3. Albert Anastasia (boss, Rava faction) / Carlo Gambino (consigliere, Scalici faction);
4. Carlo Gambino (boss, Scalici faction), Aniello Dellacroce (underboss, Rava faction);
5. Paul Castellano (boss, Scalici faction), Aniello Dellacroce (underboss, Rava faction);
And it worked even later:
6. John Gotti (boss, Rava faction), Gotti clearly recognized the continuity with this faction, for example, a portrait of Albert Anastasia hung in Ravenita, Joseph Armone (consigliere and underboss, Scalici faction);

The exception to the rule was the era of 1960-1964, when there was not a single representative of the Rava faction in the administration, but this is explained by the fact that the core of this faction was first rebellious, and then, using analogies, was at the stage of “Reconstruction”.

I assume that by killing Scalici, in order to maintain peace in the family, Anastasia had to appoint a representative of the same faction, so my opinion is that Pasquale Conte comes from the Scalici faction. Scalici oversaw the crew in Baltimore, so Morici was part of his faction.

What faction was Arcuri in?

A total of 5 captains for Rava, 6 including Rava, 7 for Scalici. 7 captains are in unclear what faction. There are 19 captains in total. There were probably other captains in the Scalici faction; maybe Paul Castellano was the captain of a separate crew from Bartolo Castellano.

It seems there are a couple of captains we don't know.