The Genovese Family by Andy Petepiece (rant)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

chin_gigante
Full Patched

The Genovese Family by Andy Petepiece (rant)

Post by chin_gigante »

I bought this recently just for the sake of getting it. Haven’t read it fully, but I’ve skimmed a few chapters and already found some things that irked me for being obviously wrong or lazily researched.

Appendix A goes through the family administration over time and starts with the following caution:
Some of the following dates are guestimates since I do not have primary evidence to support them.
Unfortunately, Petepiece does not highlight which pieces of information are ‘guestimates’, leaving the reader unable to evaluate the accuracy of the histories he presents. Rather than presenting the, admittedly, contradicting information about the administration and discussing the validity of it based on an evaluation of the sources, he seems to just pick and choose what to include without any justification.

Looking at the list, it’s very clear that at least some of it is lifted directly from Wikipedia (or other similar user-generated websites), allowing incredibly dubious information to slip through the net. The most jarring example of this is when Petepiece gets to the family administration from 2005-2010:
Acting Boss Committee
Paul DiMarco/ Liborio Bellomo/ Danny Leo
This stuck out to me since I had never heard of ‘Paul DiMarco’ before and a quick Google search revealed nothing about him. The only thing I could find was an old forum discussion indicating that ‘Paul DiMarco’ doesn’t exist and was made up by a rogue Wikipedia editor.

The fact that Petepiece would include someone on his book on the back of nothing but unsourced Wikipedia information indicates an incredibly shallow depth of research and lack of critical evaluation of sources. Frankly, it’s insulting to his readers.

There are several instances like that in this appendix that point towards poor quality research. He lists Eli Zeccardi twice as going missing in 1974 when it’s incredibly well-documented and easy to find out that he went missing in 1977. He erroneously lists Lucchese member Anthony Baratta as a Genovese captain in the 1980s. He describes Ernie Muscarella as the acting underboss from 1996 to 2002 when I haven't seen anything to substantiate that claim whatsoever. I could go on, but I fear it wouldn’t be a productive use of my time.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: The Genovese Family by Andy Petepiece (rant)

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Don’t sleep on Paulie “Stripes” DeMarco.

Pogo
Last edited by Pogo The Clown on Wed May 08, 2024 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

chin_gigante wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 3:53 am This stuck out to me since I had never heard of ‘Paul DiMarco’ before and a quick Google search revealed nothing about him. The only thing I could find was an old forum discussion indicating that ‘Paul DiMarco’ doesn’t exist and was made up by a rogue Wikipedia editor.
That's exactly what it was. Paulie "Stripes" DeMarco was a joke page created by Wikipedia vandals. Seriously, it was a goofy internet troll made up by pranksters just for the LOLz. There was another similar page about one "Charles Herbert Gotti" who was said to be an illegitimate son of John Gotti who was now a high-ranking Gambino associate. "DeMarco" turned into a running joke the old Real Deal forum about 15 years ago, I think it was. We had a lot of fun with that back in the day. Amazing to hear it's in a "true crime" book.

This reminds of me of some book I saw like 30 years ago (forget the title, it was one of those "encyclopedia of crime" type books) that cited the fictional events in Roemer's War of the Godfathers (Ferriola gunning down Moe Dalitz, that sort of thing) as true events.

Baffling that a guy with Capeci's reputation collaborates with someone like Petepiece. There was an incident a few years back where I seemingly got him fired from Gangland by citing his mistakes, but he weirdly resurfaced on there some time later.
Instagram-loving wiseguy of the blood-drenched Boardwalk Syndicate
John W
Straightened out

Post by John W »

I own and have read the whole series of books, they are all terrible
maatsetungi
Associate

Post by maatsetungi »

Paul DiMarco (born March 11, 1961), also known as "Paulie Stripes", is a high-ranking New York City mobster who is a captain in the Genovese crime family.

In 2007 private hearings in federal court revealed previously unknown and relatively young leadership of the Genovese crime family. Little information on the current activities and whereabouts of Paul DiMarco is known.
Hilarious :D
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Yeah, ol' Paulie Stripes was a big joke on the RealDeal. Wikipedia was still fairly new then and people didn't know to be skeptical so we'd get a lot of people asking about him.

As for Ask Andy, a lot of fun was had when Ivan seemingly got him "whacked". I don't even remember what it was about. Some mistake about Carmine Galante? But then Capeci pulled him back in.

I'd like to support anyone who sincerely tries to cover mafia history but I've never understood where Capeci found him or what makes him a resource on the subject.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

B. wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:32 pm As for Ask Andy, a lot of fun was had when Ivan seemingly got him "whacked". I don't even remember what it was about. Some mistake about Carmine Galante? But then Capeci pulled him back in.
There was like five easily-checked mistakes in one article (I think one was mixing up the years Scarfo Jr. got shot and Salvie Testsa got whacked) and I went through and pointed them out in a list. (They were just things I noticed off the top of my head too and since I'm a lot more "casual" about this hobby than many of you guys, it was probably even worse than what I found.) Cheech took the list straight to Capeci who wrote him back and said that we'd never see Andy on Gangland again. He did in fact vanish for a while but resurfaced some time later when he and Capeci started flogging his shitty books.

But fucking Paulie Stripes? In a real, published, "true crime" book and not some internet thing? Are you fucking kidding me? Makes me want to go check my prescription medications and make sure they haven't expired. This is unreal.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I will always respect and support Capeci but along these lines he published a eulogy for that guy Augie Cataldo who has only been publicly ID'd on Pinterest and called him a Genovese captain, a former member of the Rampers, and a relative of the other Cataldos with the Colombo and Lucchese Families. Some of us, myself included, trusted Capeci on it and it seemed like for once Pinterest bullshit was right.

Cheech emailed him about it and Capeci acted like the Cataldo thing never happened and it was quietly removed from the article. Did he really just copy some info from Pinterest or what?

As for the Cataldo guy, you'll see him and his son mentioned online as Genovese members and relatives of the Genovese Romanos but I don't think anything has ever come out identifying him as a member let alone a captain. There are however photos of him with at least one of the Romanos so I don't know the real story on him or who is responsible for putting his name/face online but Capeci's handling of it was rough.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Maybe someone should FOIA Cataldo and see if it even comes back with a hit.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

I still can't get over the fact that there are now physical books sitting in libraries that mention Paulie "Stripes" DeMarco in them and that people are gonna be dusting them off in 2100, reading them, and thinking Stripes is legit. :|
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

So is he a scam artist that couldn't give a shit about his reputation and is only interested in ripping off his readers or has he gone senile?

Even a simple google search of who the past and current Genovese bosses wouldn't give you that DiMarco name. Has he noted the name down years ago from when it was on wiki? Does he not have Jerry's number to verify some of this stuff? Bizarre. :lol:
John W
Straightened out

Post by John W »

JohnnyS wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:13 am So is he a scam artist that couldn't give a shit about his reputation and is only interested in ripping off his readers or has he gone senile?

Even a simple google search of who the past and current Genovese bosses wouldn't give you that DiMarco name. Has he noted the name down years ago from when it was on wiki? Does he not have Jerry's number to verify some of this stuff? Bizarre. :lol:
There are so many mistakes across all the books I think it’s just general incompetence
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

John W wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:00 am
JohnnyS wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:13 am So is he a scam artist that couldn't give a shit about his reputation and is only interested in ripping off his readers or has he gone senile?

There are so many mistakes across all the books I think it’s just general incompetence
It's incompetence, I don't think Asky Andy is acting with malice. Being given the Capeci seal of approval (Ask Andy has been on Gangland since the 90s, when I was still a teenaged in the late 90s I wrote and asked him if Joe Bonanno was still alive and he wrote back to tell me that Bonanno was indeed still kicking -- me and Ask Andy go way back :lol: ) might be giving him delusions about his own competency.
BeatiPaoli
Straightened out

Post by BeatiPaoli »

To Everyone:

I cannot tell you how disappointed I am to learn this.

Regards,
BeatiPaoli
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Is this an actual book or one of those internet pamphlets that are just called books ???
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.