General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Coloboy
Straightened out

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Coloboy »

I feel very fortunate that there are routine posters on this board who do extensive research, host podcasts, and provide so many of us with a level of detail that we would never get otherwise. I'm very grateful, and the Black Hand, without a doubt, has been the best source of outfit information and discussion outside of maybe American News Post.

With that said, as a reader and only occasional poster, I'd like to offer a perspective on the pervasive trend of the "We've discussed this already." or the "Oh no not this again" type of response. (I.E when someone brings up who was the real boss Ricca, Accardo, or Giancana).

It's important to remember that not everyone has spent years on here, or has done the same level of research. If the only topics discussed were brand new ones, this board would see 5 posts every other month. Take it easy on the more "casual" type of users who are interested in this stuff, but don't have the time or will power to do the same research. The "we discussed this before" posts are getting pretty tired.

With that said, I do understand that there is a difference between complaining about it and showing a poster where they could find more information about said topic in past posts, which is a helpful strategy.

I for one, don't mind when someone who doesn't know as much comes in here with what many would consider "basic" questions. Even if the Acccardo/Ricca/Giancana dynamic has been discussed 100 times, I still find it interesting to hear people's perspectives.

Don't be a gatekeeper, be an educator who is welcoming and open to those who aren't as knowledgeable.
Last edited by Coloboy on Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

Patrickgold wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:03 pm That is not Gary Gags. He has full set of hair. There was a picture of him with Paulie C not to long ago. Looks nothing like him
Yeah he looks nothing like that young pic of Gags I posted earlier on this thread page IMO.

Do you have the pic of Gags with Paulie C handy? I can't find it with the search.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Ivan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:07 pm
Patrickgold wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:03 pm That is not Gary Gags. He has full set of hair. There was a picture of him with Paulie C not to long ago. Looks nothing like him
Yeah he looks nothing like that young pic of Gags I posted earlier on this thread page IMO.

Do you have the pic of Gags with Paulie C handy? I can't find it with the search.
The hot dog stand from that original post is out in the burbs and not affiliated with the Gaglianos, so far as I know. The bald guy there is either Tony Nardo or Nick Iozzo (Patrick might know).

Gary Gags and his wife Roseanna own Luke’s beef in the Loop. There were photos of them posted here in the past but it looks like they got scrubbed from the internet. As “NorthBuffalo” pointed out, this is probably because Gagliano had been discussed online in recent years.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

I'm wearing glasses and typing with two fingers here so give an old guy a break ;) I'm told that's Gagliano and Tony Nardo and Iozzo are on either side. Would love to see the photo you are talking about if its more clear - these guys have been pretty accurate in what they say and put me on to those photos I shared yesterday - you guys spend more time doing this though and I don't live near Chicago - I just use to come in for conventions a lot. They said he's very large like Mike Sarno and spends his time in Naples, Florida. It's interesting to me how few photos of current Chicago guys actually exist.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

NorthBuffalo wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:55 pm I'm wearing glasses and typing with two fingers here so give an old guy a break ;) I'm told that's Gagliano and Tony Nardo and Iozzo are on either side. Would love to see the photo you are talking about if its more clear - these guys have been pretty accurate in what they say and put me on to those photos I shared yesterday - you guys spend more time doing this though and I don't live near Chicago - I just use to come in for conventions a lot. They said he's very large like Mike Sarno and spends his time in Naples, Florida. It's interesting to me how few photos of current Chicago guys actually exist.
I suspect you’re right that he had some photos online taken down. I know of some linked to the beef stand that are no longer around.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

NorthBuffalo wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:55 pm I'm wearing glasses and typing with two fingers here so give an old guy a break ;) I'm told that's Gagliano and Tony Nardo and Iozzo are on either side. Would love to see the photo you are talking about if its more clear - these guys have been pretty accurate in what they say and put me on to those photos I shared yesterday - you guys spend more time doing this though and I don't live near Chicago - I just use to come in for conventions a lot. They said he's very large like Mike Sarno and spends his time in Naples, Florida. It's interesting to me how few photos of current Chicago guys actually exist.
The Gary Gags that I know is about six foot, slender and has a full set of hair. Might be a different Gary Gag's. I did hear that Gary Gags spends a lot of time in Florida so that is right. I’ll try to track down the photo.
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

This is one of the guys I've been doing some chatting with through a mutual LIUNA connection. His father worked for Vince Solano on Chicago's North Side and he's got some interesting stories. This is from a few years ago but he discusses hitting a dead end as a National Guardsman as a young man bc he would never get security clearance - because of his father and grandfather being in the mafia. They tried to deport his grandfather back to Italy at one point too:
https://www.mgpl.org/oral-history/andy-demonte
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Frank DeMonte's son
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

Frank 'Babe' DeMonte who I met once in the late 1980s. Business Agent for Local 1. I was told the grandfather 'Tony Mack' was very close to Milwaukee's crime family. Does anyone know if Tony Mack at one point was the boss of Chicago's North Side or was he more of a 'soldier?'
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

NorthBuffalo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:19 am Frank 'Babe' DeMonte who I met once in the late 1980s. Business Agent for Local 1. I was told the grandfather 'Tony Mack' was very close to Milwaukee's crime family. Does anyone know if Tony Mack at one point was the boss of Chicago's North Side or was he more of a 'soldier?'
Not the boss -- it was Prio at the time. DiBella and then Solano headed that crew after he died, but Tony DeMonte was already dead by then. Frank died fairly young, too. 65 or so.
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

Snakes wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:29 am
NorthBuffalo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:19 am Frank 'Babe' DeMonte who I met once in the late 1980s. Business Agent for Local 1. I was told the grandfather 'Tony Mack' was very close to Milwaukee's crime family. Does anyone know if Tony Mack at one point was the boss of Chicago's North Side or was he more of a 'soldier?'
Not the boss -- it was Prio at the time. DiBella and then Solano headed that crew after he died, but Tony DeMonte was already dead by then. Frank died fairly young, too. 65 or so.
Frank died of cancer. I had never heard of Tony Mack before speaking with the son and was just curious. FWIW we found the actual transcript of the 1985 labor hearings in Chicago - everyone from DeMonte to Solano was testifying. Obviously they invoke the 5th but there is a substantial portion of Ken Eto's direct testimony. Its 600+ pages.

I don't think this has been out there publicly again, so don't bark at me if its old:

https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/Digitizat ... 8NCJRS.pdf
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

NorthBuffalo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:52 am
Snakes wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:29 am
Frank died of cancer. I had never heard of Tony Mack before speaking with the son and was just curious. FWIW we found the actual transcript of the 1985 labor hearings in Chicago - everyone from DeMonte to Solano was testifying. Obviously they invoke the 5th but there is a substantial portion of Ken Eto's direct testimony. Its 600+ pages.

I don't think this has been out there publicly again, so don't bark at me if its old:

https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/Digitizat ... 8NCJRS.pdf
Sorry, that's been around for a while lol [/bark]
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

Ha well it was new and interesting to us laborers! Amazing how they protected Jackie Presser through that entire saga. Even the government seemed to handle him with kid gloves. Why he would not be under a subpoena to testify - like his mafia handlers were - is beyond me.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

NorthBuffalo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:01 am This is one of the guys I've been doing some chatting with through a mutual LIUNA connection. His father worked for Vince Solano on Chicago's North Side and he's got some interesting stories. This is from a few years ago but he discusses hitting a dead end as a National Guardsman as a young man bc he would never get security clearance - because of his father and grandfather being in the mafia. They tried to deport his grandfather back to Italy at one point too:
https://www.mgpl.org/oral-history/andy-demonte
Andy DeMonte doesn’t say anywhere in this interview that his grandfather was targeted for deportation. And Tony DeMonte, assuming this was the grandfather that he would’ve been referring to, was born in New Orleans (Tony DeMonte’s father, Francesco DeMonte, was also a naturalized citizen). Andy DeMonte’s maternal grandfather was Andrea DiVarco, an uncle of Joey Caesar; though Andrea was from Campofelice di Fitalia, Palermo, he was also a naturalized citizen of the US. So unless he was found to have falsified his citizenship documents and stripped of citizenship, he couldn’t be deported either. Nothing in Tony DeMonte’s FBI file mentioned anyone in his family being targeted for deportation.
NorthBuffalo
Straightened out

Post by NorthBuffalo »

No offense, but I've shared quite a few good links here in the last few days - Polack you act kind of like an ass.

I don't really need to be told I'm right or wrong or to debate it - I've talked to Andy and don't really think he's full of shit. The reason I found that clip was because he shared it with me - I never said he claimed his grandfather was deported in the podcast - I just claimed that was a story he told me. I think there is always more to the story than what you can find on the internet - some of these guys are literal ghosts or forged documents to stay in the U.S. (I was told my own grandfather forged his birth certificate to stay in the U.S.).

No disrespect, but I don't really trust all the 'Family Heritage' websites that claim to have every scanned immigration paper from the turn of the century somehow available to search - I prefer the anecdotes from their relatives or guys in labor unions who were around these people.

How bout you do you, I'll do me? :D