Cicale seems scared of Merlino. Your thoughts?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Cheech
Full Patched

Re: Cicale seems scared of Merlino. Your thoughts?

Post by Cheech »

johnny_scootch wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:19 am In the beginning I thought he’d keep the podcast strictly about sports and betting but it’s very clear that’s not what this is going to be. Gene Borello is a total asshole but some of things he was saying about Joey and this podcast are true. Hopefully he did step down because this is a huge embarrassment for him and the whole Philly mob.
curious, like what?
I'll race you around the corner for fuckin $400 - the skinny
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Cheech wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:29 am
johnny_scootch wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:19 am In the beginning I thought he’d keep the podcast strictly about sports and betting but it’s very clear that’s not what this is going to be. Gene Borello is a total asshole but some of things he was saying about Joey and this podcast are true. Hopefully he did step down because this is a huge embarrassment for him and the whole Philly mob.
curious, like what?
Like there will be many people in NY who will never deal with him ever again and a lot of people will see him as a rat. Obviously he’s not a full fledged cooperator but he’s a talk show host. Talking about crimes he’s committed how they went down who he did them with it’s crazy. It’s not the way a Boss is supposed to handle himself, in that world there’s no dignity in what he’s doing. He’s supposed to be a peer almost even an equal to guys like Barney and Italian Dom but instead he’s doing promo videos with Kevin Connelly, it’s ridiculous.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

johnny_scootch wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:43 pm
Cheech wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:29 am
curious, like what?
Like there will be many people in NY who will never deal with him ever again and a lot of people will see him as a rat. Obviously he’s not a full fledged cooperator but he’s a talk show host. Talking about crimes he’s committed how they went down who he did them with it’s crazy. It’s not the way a Boss is supposed to handle himself, in that world there’s no dignity in what he’s doing. He’s supposed to be a peer almost even an equal to guys like Barney and Italian Dom but instead he’s doing promo videos with Kevin Connelly, it’s ridiculous.
i'll agree to disagree but i get your point.
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

A boss can do what he wants. I am leaning to he stepped down as official boss of Philly. I think there's a new head guy I wonder who it is since mazzone is locked up. I'm sure merlino is still respected across the board. Sam the plumber retired died 20 years later down Florida. Was consulted when he wanted
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

I will say the names of co-conspirators that he mentions were also cooperators. Besides Lutz, whose on his show, I don't think he mentioned names of anyone else he committed crimes with who didn't cooperate.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Pmac2 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:58 pm A boss can do what he wants. I am leaning to he stepped down as official boss of Philly. I think there's a new head guy I wonder who it is since mazzone is locked up. I'm sure merlino is still respected across the board.
Even a boss has to operate within the rules of the life but yes they do get much more leeway than anyone else.

As far as respect I can guarantee you he lost the respect of a ton of guys with this bullshit. He gets announced as ‘the alleged former boss of the Philly mob’ for christ’s sake!

It’s beyond the pale to say the least.
Cheech wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:40 pm
i'll agree to disagree but i get your point.
Much respect as always.
AntComello
Full Patched

Post by AntComello »

Hopefully they catch some NY guys talking about Merlino on wire tap. Would love to hear what they are saying about this whole situation. I bet Dom Grande gets a spot on the administration when he gets released.
That’s the guy, Adriana. My Uncle Tony. The guy I’m going to hell for.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

Heres my thing.
Its a new world. Everyone knows it exists. There is no secret. He must realize like Gotti theyll never leave him alone. They sent nicky skins and rubeo to him. He just did 2 years for sports gambling which is insane. This is a great way to say hey, im no boss im on youtube. Reminds me of Gotti. Taint the jury pool by having the public love you. People are taking pix with joey at the eagles game. Tough times convict him in philly. They love him. Hes doing turkeys again. This is the best thing to happen to us in forever
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

I've said it before and a lot of people disagreed with me, which I totally understand and I see their point, but I think Merlino does not give a shit about LCN or titles or whatever and hasn't in quite some time. He's able to go anywhere in Philly and be respected, able to enjoy Florida, able to go back and forth and live the life he wants to live. I'm not saying he announced to everyone in the Philly Mob that he's relinquishing his title or anything, but he's doing whatever he wants. Those modern era Philly guys especially Joey seem to only care about themselves, one another, and South Philly - not LCN as a whole.

Yeah, I get there was a making ceremony kind of recently, but how involved do you think Joey was with that? At best, he talked to the guys who conducted it and okay'ed them doing what they did. I know there are also admin positions too (people who have always been close to Joey and/or people who've 'earned it' like Lancellotti) but I speculate - and I could be wrong, totally - that these aren't as rigid as we think and aren't taken as seriously as they are in other functioning families, as long as the money flows upwards.

As far as New York goes he'll probably always have friends there who like being around him and would do something to make money with him if the opportunity came up (which it probably won't, if he's Podcasting. Who knows)

My point being - and it's unfortunately similar to what Gene Borrello says - is that Joey is the Life Tenure boss of a group of friends who are involved in OC activities, not the boss of a family. There are made guys in Philly who don't report/answer to any of Merlinos guys and just do their own thing; if they cared so much about structure and LCN, why aren't those guys called in, leaned on, etc? Joey and none of them care as long as they are making money themselves together.

One more question - maybe Pennisi is the only actual made guy who is out there giving interviews that has met Joey Merlino. I've heard one of Pennisi's videos about meeting Merlino but I do not remember. I'm curious if Pennisi or anyone else who's made that may have met Merlino was introduced to him as "the Boss of Philadelphia" or simply just introduced to him as Joey Merlino? Maybe someone who remembers from Pennisi's vids can correct me

Just my 2 cents, I know most people don't agree and that's fine . The recorded ceremony did reveal that there was some sort of structure and tradition at play, I'm just skeptical on how serious they take it, or if it was simply going through the motions for the guys they were bringing in solely in order to get more money funneled up to them.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

newera_212 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:43 am I'm curious if Pennisi or anyone else who's made that may have met Merlino was introduced to him as "the Boss of Philadelphia" or simply just introduced to him as Joey Merlino? Maybe someone who remembers from Pennisi's vids can correct me
They were formally introduced by one of the Pernas but I can't recall the exact video which he said it and I think you're way off with this they don't take Cosa Nostra seriously angle but hey what do I know!?!
Stopflexing
Straightened out

Post by Stopflexing »

Cheech wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:36 am Heres my thing.
Its a new world. Everyone knows it exists. There is no secret. He must realize like Gotti theyll never leave him alone. They sent nicky skins and rubeo to him. He just did 2 years for sports gambling which is insane. This is a great way to say hey, im no boss im on youtube. Reminds me of Gotti. Taint the jury pool by having the public love you. People are taking pix with joey at the eagles game. Tough times convict him in philly. They love him. Hes doing turkeys again. This is the best thing to happen to us in forever
I couldn’t have said it better myself
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

newera_212 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:43 am

I've said it before and a lot of people disagreed with me, which I totally understand and I see their point, but I think Merlino does not give a shit about LCN or titles or whatever and hasn't in quite some time. He's able to go anywhere in Philly and be respected, able to enjoy Florida, able to go back and forth and live the life he wants to live. I'm not saying he announced to everyone in the Philly Mob that he's relinquishing his title or anything, but he's doing whatever he wants. Those modern era Philly guys especially Joey seem to only care about themselves, one another, and South Philly - not LCN as a whole.

Yeah, I get there was a making ceremony kind of recently, but how involved do you think Joey was with that? At best, he talked to the guys who conducted it and okay'ed them doing what they did. I know there are also admin positions too (people who have always been close to Joey and/or people who've 'earned it' like Lancellotti) but I speculate - and I could be wrong, totally - that these aren't as rigid as we think and aren't taken as seriously as they are in other functioning families, as long as the money flows upwards.

As far as New York goes he'll probably always have friends there who like being around him and would do something to make money with him if the opportunity came up (which it probably won't, if he's Podcasting. Who knows)

My point being - and it's unfortunately similar to what Gene Borrello says - is that Joey is the Life Tenure boss of a group of friends who are involved in OC activities, not the boss of a family. There are made guys in Philly who don't report/answer to any of Merlinos guys and just do their own thing; if they cared so much about structure and LCN, why aren't those guys called in, leaned on, etc? Joey and none of them care as long as they are making money themselves together.

One more question - maybe Pennisi is the only actual made guy who is out there giving interviews that has met Joey Merlino. I've heard one of Pennisi's videos about meeting Merlino but I do not remember. I'm curious if Pennisi or anyone else who's made that may have met Merlino was introduced to him as "the Boss of Philadelphia" or simply just introduced to him as Joey Merlino? Maybe someone who remembers from Pennisi's vids can correct me

Just my 2 cents, I know most people don't agree and that's fine . The recorded ceremony did reveal that there was some sort of structure and tradition at play, I'm just skeptical on how serious they take it, or if it was simply going through the motions for the guys they were bringing in solely in order to get more money funneled up to them.
Ruggiano met him as official boss per him.
This guy and his friends murdered people and were murdered for cosa nostra. His father was an admin to scarfo. I think he 100% cares. He did half his life in jail over it.
The rap on him was always he wasnt like by other mobsters in ny. Yet ruggiano says his father loved him. He got a seat at peter lugers thru lenny dimaria per pennissi. He was at patsy parellos christmas party. Theres more to it then i think u guys are seeing
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

These fuckin guys were shooting it out in broad day light all over the city. On the fuckin highway. They love CN. Would never walk away. I dont see it. Not in this lifetime
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

Yeah honestly I am just kind of baselessly speculating, and it's based more off what he's been up to and how he's been acting since he was released from prison. I just get that vibe from him that he'd be who he was without any title or LCN formalities. But definitely great points by anyone countering what I am saying lol
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

Joey merlino is on youtube cutting garlic with a tuna can and making toasted cheese on an iron. I love America so much