An excerpt of William D'elia new book.

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Pmac2
Full Patched

Re: An excerpt of William D'elia new book.

Post by Pmac2 »

Did he ever induct new guys or did he just let it flame out? He was a so called boss for what 10 15 yrs
nizarsoccer
Straightened out

Post by nizarsoccer »

Pmac2 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:17 pm Did he ever induct new guys or did he just let it flame out? He was a so called boss for what 10 15 yrs
He let it flame out. The biggest issue with this book in my opinion is he didn't explain his thought process as to why he let the Family die out and not induct new people. It wasn't for a lack of associates, he had a 100 and some were Italian. He even said he had a "street boss", but he wasn't inducted either.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

nizarsoccer wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:08 pm
Pmac2 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:17 pm Did he ever induct new guys or did he just let it flame out? He was a so called boss for what 10 15 yrs
He let it flame out. The biggest issue with this book in my opinion is he didn't explain his thought process as to why he let the Family die out and not induct new people. It wasn't for a lack of associates, he had a 100 and some were Italian. He even said he had a "street boss", but he wasn't inducted either.
What kills me is the theory that these guys don't need criminality to join the mafia.

If that's actually true, you kinda need to ask why ANY family died out then? If it's just a click of businessmen with questionable morality.
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

Stroccos wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:09 pm
Tonyd621 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:17 pm
Stroccos wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:39 am I would give the book a 6/10 , didn’t really think it was that good . I personally wouldn’t recommend this one
Some cool photos in the book , a few pieces of info I found interesting but overall kinda dull
You read the whole thing, already?
yeah its only 200 some pages read it on a plane ride back and forth ,
I just did jfk to lax and back
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

CornerBoy wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:41 am
Stroccos wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:09 pm
Tonyd621 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:17 pm
Stroccos wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:39 am I would give the book a 6/10 , didn’t really think it was that good . I personally wouldn’t recommend this one
Some cool photos in the book , a few pieces of info I found interesting but overall kinda dull
You read the whole thing, already?
yeah its only 200 some pages read it on a plane ride back and forth ,
I just did jfk to lax and back
Thoughts on the book ?
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

Pretty interesting. You probably know half already.
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by UTC »

Sullycantwell wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:38 am
UTC wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:30 pm I guess nobody understood the question. Mafia 101. I asked whether he breached omerta, which is different from being a rat. In other words, did he divulge the secrets of the organization? If Carlo Gambino called the cops on the kid next door for shoplifting, he would be a rat but would not have breached omerta.
Maybe D'Elia did both.
He literally wrote a book about his life in the mafia, yes he divulged “secrets” about the mafia. He didn’t give too much new info, but him recognizing Bufalino as boss or Stefano LaTorre as a member is giving away information about the life.
Gotcha. I just asked the question. I didn't read the book. Thanks
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by UTC »

PHL_Mob wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:55 am He’s a rat. He testified against another LCN associate and then went on to write a book. He thinks because he didn’t put a wire on or testify in Philly or NYC that he’s not a rat. Not how this works…
I never read that he doesn't think he's a rat. Now that I read this stuff, he's not only a rat but broke omerta as well.
UTC
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by UTC »

It has been said that Pittsburgh was not allowed by the commission (Genovese really) to make new members. I always found that a little weird, but does D'elia mention anything about that kind of prohibition?
Sullycantwell
Straightened out

Post by Sullycantwell »

UTC wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:36 pm
It has been said that Pittsburgh was not allowed by the commission (Genovese really) to make new members. I always found that a little weird, but does D'elia mention anything about that kind of prohibition?
Nope, I believe the only time he mentioned the commission was when he said Russell Bufalino was “above the commission”
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

Sullycantwell wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:58 am
Nope, I believe the only time he mentioned the commission was when he said Russell Bufalino was “above the commission”
I think what he means by this is when the commission had meetings, Russell Bufalino, was used as someone they went to advice for. Above the commission makes no sense. Most experienced members on here never heard that before so I believe it's an exaggeration and an ego thing with Delia.
nizarsoccer
Straightened out

Post by nizarsoccer »

No nothing of that sort. He mentioned he stopped going to New York after John Gotti got locked up and was loosing touch with those Families. It's frustrating he never elaborated as to why he didn't want to induct new people even though there were plenty of associates.
Stopflexing
Straightened out

Post by Stopflexing »

He did testify against Louie DeNaples, that is a rat at the end of the day.
Sullycantwell
Straightened out

Post by Sullycantwell »

Tonyd621 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:08 am
Sullycantwell wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:58 am
I think what he means by this is when the commission had meetings, Russell Bufalino, was used as someone they went to advice for. Above the commission makes no sense. Most experienced members on here never heard that before so I believe it's an exaggeration and an ego thing with Delia.
No I think he literally felt Bufalino was above the commission. Some mobsters like Mikey Scars are historians, D’Elia is whatever the opposite of that is. D’Elia seems to not even know how the commission functioned. Overall, D’Elia was very honest (from what I can tell) but he just didn’t know a lot of history.
russ123_
Associate

Post by russ123_ »

Just finished book. I give it a 7/10. Love the first hand info on bufalino ( it was basically a bufaliino book). And loved the frank Sheeran stuff about him having 6 different versions of is book