An excerpt of William D'elia new book.

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Stroccos
Full Patched

Re: An excerpt of William D'elia new book.

Post by Stroccos »

I would give the book a 6/10 , didn’t really think it was that good . I personally wouldn’t recommend this one
Some cool photos in the book , a few pieces of info I found interesting but overall kinda dull
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

Stroccos wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:39 am I would give the book a 6/10 , didn’t really think it was that good . I personally wouldn’t recommend this one
Some cool photos in the book , a few pieces of info I found interesting but overall kinda dull
You read the whole thing, already?
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

Tonyd621 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:17 pm
Stroccos wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:39 am I would give the book a 6/10 , didn’t really think it was that good . I personally wouldn’t recommend this one
yeah its only 200 some pages read it on a plane ride back and forth ,
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

Stroccos wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:09 pm
Tonyd621 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:17 pm
yeah its only 200 some pages read it on a plane ride back and forth ,
Did he reveal any new info that we didn’t already know?
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

I have not finished reading the book but the first interesting thing I noticed was that D’Elia was only half Italian. His mother was full blooded Irish. Another case of a non full blooded Italian becoming boss.
outfit guy
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by outfit guy »

Patrickgold wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:59 pm I have not finished reading the book but the first interesting thing I noticed was that D’Elia was only half Italian. His mother was full blooded Irish. Another case of a non full blooded Italian becoming boss.
If he reveals nothing knew, maybe he opines on personalities of the characters. If he reveals too much, it would be concurred he is an informant, unless arrested.
Adam
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Adam »

His story about meeting John Veasey was a little interesting. Fits with Veasey being clueless about protocol and being a little crazy. He goes all in on Buffalino being the most powerful mob boss in the country. I still have trouble with that. Being above the Commission. In charge of Buffalo and the Genoveses in the 1970s. But then the"most powerful family in the country" completely disappears somehow. But he seems to always reference the same few members who worked for Buffalino. It really doesn't come across as a sprawling all powerful organization. A lot of the book is just D'Elia driving Russell around to different restaurants. It's just not that interesting.
NothingNew44
Straightened out

Post by NothingNew44 »

Adam wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:11 am His story about meeting John Veasey was a little interesting. Fits with Veasey being clueless about protocol and being a little crazy. He goes all in on Buffalino being the most powerful mob boss in the country. I still have trouble with that. Being above the Commission. In charge of Buffalo and the Genoveses in the 1970s. But then the"most powerful family in the country" completely disappears somehow. But he seems to always reference the same few members who worked for Buffalino. It really doesn't come across as a sprawling all powerful organization. A lot of the book is just D'Elia driving Russell around to different restaurants. It's just not that interesting.
I haven’t read it, but I’m curious if he presents reasons on why he felt Bufalino was so powerful? I wonder if it’s one of those from his perspectives it seemed that way, or if he’s just trying to enhance his own credibility and stature. Probably a combination of both.
Ducktown16
Prospect

Post by Ducktown16 »

I think anyone who is writing a book is going to embellish a little bit that being said, I think he’s pretty honest. Honestly that is why the book is so average. I enjoyed the book, I think if you are someone who is on these types of message boards it’s certainly a must read. While nothing earth shattering come out of the book I do think there were some cool things that I did not know.

Do I think Russell Bufalino was the most powerful mobster in the country, no probably not. But I’m sure D’Elia felt that he was, I don’t think he’s lying just from his view. I mean we are talking about Scranton here, not a lot going on up there. They had to operate in different cities. Naturally interacting with more guys, it probably did seem that way.

If he was going to lie, he could have made up a better story that how he was made, in fact I’m sure some on here would say he’s not even made given how casually it was done. He could have literally made up anything about Hoffa but instead he calls out Sheeran and gives the least made up story possible.

He also doesn’t implicate anyone alive.
NothingNew44
Straightened out

Post by NothingNew44 »

Ducktown16 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:22 pm I think anyone who is writing a book is going to embellish a little bit that being said, I think he’s pretty honest. Honestly that is why the book is so average. I enjoyed the book, I think if you are someone who is on these types of message boards it’s certainly a must read. While nothing earth shattering come out of the book I do think there were some cool things that I did not know.

Do I think Russell Bufalino was the most powerful mobster in the country, no probably not. But I’m sure D’Elia felt that he was, I don’t think he’s lying just from his view. I mean we are talking about Scranton here, not a lot going on up there. They had to operate in different cities. Naturally interacting with more guys, it probably did seem that way.

If he was going to lie, he could have made up a better story that how he was made, in fact I’m sure some on here would say he’s not even made given how casually it was done. He could have literally made up anything about Hoffa but instead he calls out Sheeran and gives the least made up story possible.

Thanks for the info. You sold me. I’m going to start it next week.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

NothingNew44 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:34 pm
Ducktown16 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:22 pm I think anyone who is writing a book is going to embellish a little bit that being said, I think he’s pretty honest. Honestly that is why the book is so average. I enjoyed the book, I think if you are someone who is on these types of message boards it’s certainly a must read. While nothing earth shattering come out of the book I do think there were some cool things that I did not know.

Thanks for the info. You sold me. I’m going to start it next week.
That's some reverse psychology sales pitch that sold me too!
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Hmmm so the books blahhhh. How was he made? What year?
nizarsoccer
Straightened out

Post by nizarsoccer »

Pmac2 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:20 am Hmmm so the books blahhhh. How was he made? What year?
William D'Elia was made on October 30th, 1973. Verbal/informal ceremony.
Sullycantwell
Straightened out

Post by Sullycantwell »

I agree completely, so far (im 120 pages in) and D'Elia seems extremely honest. One downside of the book IMO is that he isnt talking enough. Birkbeck's research is lacking to say the least. Birkbeck's most ridiculous claim so far was that Bufalino was boss of three families, Pittston, the Genovese, and Buffalo.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Does he talk about his relationship to other Families?