Upcoming TMA Agrigento faction episode.

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

InCamelot
Straightened out

Re: Upcoming TMA Agrigento faction episode.

Post by InCamelot »

What other topics are being considered other than Agrigento
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

We have endless topics to cover. The problem is there are 4 of us who can't always make it and some of us have clauses such as x topic isn't to be covered without them. Behind the scenes, 3 out of 4 of us are busy with life stuff, the podcast isn't a priority when work, financial or health issues are an at the forefront.

What ideas would the board (our target audience) like to see covered? We don't do modern stuff, you've got MobTube for that. But I do think where Eric and I hit the g-spot was tying things to modern day when we covered Philly. It was a discussion but we went through the entire history and went more modern than we did other episodes.
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

Genesis of the Profaci/Colombo family.

BTW the Philly episode was great.
MichaelGiovanni
Straightened out

Post by MichaelGiovanni »

johnny_scootch wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:22 am Genesis of the Profaci/Colombo family.

BTW the Philly episode was great.
I echo both sentiments.
Nice rug ya got here kid...it’d be great for a craps game
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thanks Johnny.

I'm more than happy to discuss modern stuff as I'm interested in the whole lifespan of Cosa Nostra but I'm not interested in covering it in a way that indulges gossip or unnecessary speculation just facts that tell us about the organization and people involved. I don't see this as a "history" show but a look at the entire big picture.

Colombo origins is one we should definitely do.
InCamelot
Straightened out

Post by InCamelot »

It depends on the definition of modern. I also agree the Philly episode was great because it tied a greater time span together.

Analysis of facts is probably always better than just facts. One of the great posts made on here (think it was B) was discussing how the Corozzos and D'Amico's faction paved the way for the Sicilians to steer the ship for the Gambinos in the late 90s early 2000s. That sort of thing is what makes you guys unique from the others. Slight speculation communicated the right way may not be a bad thing.

And is the early 2000s modern? Might be interesting to find topics in the 'gaps', the areas/eras not touched upon yet.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Modern to me is 1970s forward. That's when today's idea of a mafioso really started to take hold. Personally I'm all about referring to stuff even from the past few years if it's relevant to a bigger discussion and especially if it connects past to present. Anything that helps the analysis, like you said, as that's my interest more than history alone.
InCamelot
Straightened out

Post by InCamelot »

Might also be interesting to take a recent piece of mob news that most casual mob-watchers know about, and not really speculate too much on it, but discuss historical "echoes" it might have.

Like if the piece of news is about Vinny Asaro for example, then maybe talk about how there's a lot more to Asaro's place in LCN history than meets the eye (ie: beyond Goodfellas heist fame). Or, if folks online are celebrating the anniversary of Goodfellas --for example, might be an interesting time to talk about how little we actually know about the Lucchese's.
LarryC
Straightened out

Post by LarryC »

Most interesting times of modern Agrigento were mid 80’s when the war broke out between la stidda and cosa nostra. Stidda being outted members of cosa nostra trying to take over. Stidda taking out one of the bosses of cosa nostra, then were retaliated on, and so it began. Giuseppe Grassonelli being the boss of la stidda at the time.

In Sicily you don’t finish a war until you extinguish an entire family name, so many cosa nostra took their families and moved them out of Agrigento and to palermo and other areas.

Today you have those same stiddari families marrying into the CN families they were once at war with. Stidda has been absorbed by CN in agrigento.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

LarryC wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:41 am Most interesting times of modern Agrigento were mid 80’s when the war broke out between la stidda and cosa nostra. Stidda being outted members of cosa nostra trying to take over. Stidda taking out one of the bosses of cosa nostra, then were retaliated on, and so it began. Giuseppe Grassonelli being the boss of la stidda at the time.

In Sicily you don’t finish a war until you extinguish an entire family name, so many cosa nostra took their families and moved them out of Agrigento and to palermo and other areas.

Today you have those same stiddari families marrying into the CN families they were once at war with. Stidda has been absorbed by CN in agrigento.
The Stidda is very interesting. Angelo and I spoke to someone a few years ago who had relatives that were members of Cosa Nostra in Agrigento and other relatives that were Stidda.
LarryC
Straightened out

Post by LarryC »

B. wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:42 am
LarryC wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:41 am Most interesting times of modern Agrigento were mid 80’s when the war broke out between la stidda and cosa nostra. Stidda being outted members of cosa nostra trying to take over. Stidda taking out one of the bosses of cosa nostra, then were retaliated on, and so it began. Giuseppe Grassonelli being the boss of la stidda at the time.

The Stidda is very interesting. Angelo and I spoke to someone a few years ago who had relatives that were members of Cosa Nostra in Agrigento and other relatives that were Stidda.
Giuseppe Grasselli of La Stidda, wrote a book from prison about his life and the wars of porto empedocle, titled: Malerba: Vida a merte en Sicilia. His sister is now married to a member of cosa nostra, whose father they killed.
LarryC
Straightened out

Post by LarryC »

^^^^ ** Giuseppe Grassonelli
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Oh cool. How is the book?

The one I spoke to had relatives in Naro and surrounding comuni.
LarryC
Straightened out

Post by LarryC »

B. wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:01 pm Oh cool. How is the book?

The one I spoke to had relatives in Naro and surrounding comuni.
Very good book. It’s centered around Porto Empedocle, though. About how he (Giuseppe Grassonelli) came to want to go against cosa nostra, then how they killed his family and then came for him. Then how he killed so many in retaliation, including the boss of Porto Empedocle, which led to the war.
He won an award for the book and had since tried to justify his release from prison, but that’s not happening.

It’s written in Italian, of course.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Isnt it more of a coexistence between the organizations?

Sicilian organized crime presents itself with different characteristics in the various areas of the region and the
Report reconstructs the mafia geography. In western Sicily 'cosa nostra' remains structured in districts and families: in the province of Agrigento there is still a "zone" permeable to the influence of another organization, the so-called "stidda", "which has managed over the years to raise his criminal stature to the point of establishing pacts of mutual convenience with the other families

https://www.agrigentonotizie.it/cronaca ... tidda.html