New LCNBios posts

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: New LCNBios posts

Post by B. »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:53 pm
axx wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:35 pm Joseph Giardano (St. Louis)
https://lcnbios.blogspot.com/2023/03/jo ... louis.html
Glad that JD is continuing to look into Midwest guys.

Whenever I think that the FBI had really poor intel about Chicago back in the day, all I need to do is look at what they had for STL and Chicago was almost a goldmine by comparison. For example, on the 1967 member list that JD cites here, out of 12 identified members of the STL "outfit", 9 -- including both Anthony and Joe Giardano -- were only identified as such by bug, while two others were ID'd by Milwaukee member Augie Maniaci and another by an unknown Detroit source. Obviously by this time STL was already a small and declining Family in terms of formal membership, but the Feds had very little insight into them.
2018 thread with a lot of St. Louis info. We've learned more since then and a few things have been corrected or put in better context, but I do feel the FBI had a pretty good read on their status in the 1960s, they just couldn't confirm membership for elderly members. And like Chicago we learn more from one Bomp visit than through most other sources combined.

https://theblackhand.club/forum/viewtop ... =29&t=4109

Boss - Tony Giardano
Underboss - John Vitale
Consigliere - John Ferrara
Capodecina - James Giammanco
Soldiers:
Vince Biondo
Frank Bommarito
Ralph Caleca
Joseph Cammarata
?-Vincenzo Chiappetta
Anthony DiMartino
Vincent Filippello
Anthony Giammanco
Joseph Giardano
Anthony Miceli
John Mirabella
Frank Pisciotta
John Vitale

Size: 22 according to Tony Giardano
Identified: 16 or 17

Youngest member said by Giardano to be James Giammanco who was 48. Average age according to Giardano was 62 or 63.

The FBI was very aware of Giardano and Vitale's activities but most of the Family was inactive and even the few that were "active" were marginally involved in crime if at all.

Looks like they had a consiglio but not sure it still existed under Giardano.

Since the old thread too it's become more obvious the Chicago member Joe LNU who served as a liaison to St. Louis in Cicero was Aiuppa. The Inserro brothers hung out at the same hotel controlled by Aiuppa which Giardano and Bomp met Joe LNU in. The Inserros were originally from St. Louis and the nickname "the Saint" evolved from the nickname "Little St. Louis".
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

AlexfromSouth wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:13 am Found this at Lcn bios

Frank's father Vincent 'Bozey / Boozy' DeCicco (1913-1979), whose family came to the US from Potenza in Basilicata, was a Gambino Soldier.

I'm confused. I thought DeCicco's fam was from Campania?
SpButteaking of Boozy, why wasn't Joe Butters ever inducted?
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
johnny_scootch
Full Patched

Post by johnny_scootch »

CornerBoy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:27 am

Frank's father Vincent 'Bozey / Boozy' DeCicco (1913-1979), whose family came to the US from Potenza in Basilicata, was a Gambino Soldier.

https://youtu.be/KRjuoKrZmKk
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

B. wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:13 am
PolackTony wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:53 pm
axx wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:35 pm Joseph Giardano (St. Louis)
https://lcnbios.blogspot.com/2023/03/jo ... louis.html
Glad that JD is continuing to look into Midwest guys.

Whenever I think that the FBI had really poor intel about Chicago back in the day, all I need to do is look at what they had for STL and Chicago was almost a goldmine by comparison. For example, on the 1967 member list that JD cites here, out of 12 identified members of the STL "outfit", 9 -- including both Anthony and Joe Giardano -- were only identified as such by bug, while two others were ID'd by Milwaukee member Augie Maniaci and another by an unknown Detroit source. Obviously by this time STL was already a small and declining Family in terms of formal membership, but the Feds had very little insight into them.
2018 thread with a lot of St. Louis info. We've learned more since then and a few things have been corrected or put in better context, but I do feel the FBI had a pretty good read on their status in the 1960s, they just couldn't confirm membership for elderly members. And like Chicago we learn more from one Bomp visit than through most other sources combined.

https://theblackhand.club/forum/viewtop ... =29&t=4109

Boss - Tony Giardano
Underboss - John Vitale
Consigliere - John Ferrara
Capodecina - James Giammanco
Soldiers:
Vince Biondo
Frank Bommarito
Ralph Caleca
Joseph Cammarata
?-Vincenzo Chiappetta
Anthony DiMartino
Vincent Filippello
Anthony Giammanco
Joseph Giardano
Anthony Miceli
John Mirabella
Frank Pisciotta
John Vitale

Size: 22 according to Tony Giardano
Identified: 16 or 17

Youngest member said by Giardano to be James Giammanco who was 48. Average age according to Giardano was 62 or 63.

The FBI was very aware of Giardano and Vitale's activities but most of the Family was inactive and even the few that were "active" were marginally involved in crime if at all.

Looks like they had a consiglio but not sure it still existed under Giardano.

Since the old thread too it's become more obvious the Chicago member Joe LNU who served as a liaison to St. Louis in Cicero was Aiuppa. The Inserro brothers hung out at the same hotel controlled by Aiuppa which Giardano and Bomp met Joe LNU in. The Inserros were originally from St. Louis and the nickname "the Saint" evolved from the nickname "Little St. Louis".
Thanks for the link to the 2018 thread, you did a great job of summarizing and discussing the 1960s FBI intel on STL there, of course.

As I noted, the 1967 list that JD used in his entry on Joe Giardano carried most of the ID’d members there based solely on a bug. The FBI had installed a microphone somewhere in STL in 1963 that captured conversations between Giardano and other men and served as one of their primary sources of intel on the Family (coded as “SL T-1” on the 1967 report). The CI who gave much of the info that you discussed in that thread — the “council table” in Miceli’s funeral home, the Palermitano origin of most of the Family by this time, the prestige of the men from Favarotta as compared to the Cinisesi and Partinicesi — was actually a source from the Detroit office (DE 1176-PC, coded as “SL T-2” in the 1967 report), not the STL office. While the Feds did have a couple of CIs from the STL office, these sources apparently gave little info and most of the STL info thus came from the bug and the Detroit guy, with a bit from Lou Fratto, Maniaci, and Joe Gurera as well. As you note, we then get some very important insight and confirmation from Bomp in 1968. As with Chicago, much of the organizational intel we get with STL in this period actually comes from sources affiliated with other Families.

Would be very interesting to confirm who the Detroit source could’ve been, especially given his account of the men from Favarotta. Whoever he was, he seemingly did not identify himself as a member of the “outfit” (his term) in either Detroit or STL. The only STL member that the FBI used him as a source for on the 1967 was Giammanco (he also referred to Giammanco as a liaison between Detroit and STL). Unsurprisingly, the Detroit source claimed that Giardano’s power and authority was derived from Detroit (Zerilli), while Lou Fratto (who also claimed that the only men of importance in the “outfit” in STL were the Giardano brothers and Vitale, claiming that the others were all “small guys”) instead claimed that Giardano’s power and authority was derived from Chicago (Giancana) (Fratto was coded as “SL T-9” in the 1967 report).

I know that in the 2018 thread Pogo brought up the allegation that John Vitale may have been a CI. I have no idea if that’s true or not, but if he was a CI used in the 1967 sources, he presumably gave little info. There were a couple other STL CIs developed by 1968, but I haven’t yet seen that any of them were identified as members.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
axx
Straightened out

Post by axx »

CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

johnny_scootch wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:34 am
CornerBoy wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:27 am

https://youtu.be/KRjuoKrZmKk
jesus= now thats what I call service lol. thanks
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
Bing Bang 74
Straightened out

Post by Bing Bang 74 »

axx wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:41 pm Lucchese 1970s surveillance photos
https://lcnbios.blogspot.com/2023/03/lu ... s.html?m=1
Interesting. Have we ever seen a picture of Sally Bo DiSimone before? I don't think we have.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

Bing Bang 74 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:14 am
axx wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:41 pm Lucchese 1970s surveillance photos
https://lcnbios.blogspot.com/2023/03/lu ... s.html?m=1
Interesting. Have we ever seen a picture of Sally Bo DiSimone before? I don't think we have.
Sally Bo is Andrew's father?
Bing Bang 74
Straightened out

Post by Bing Bang 74 »

Yeah, he died around October 2017.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Updated with Genovese information.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Updated with Genovese deaths from 1958-1975.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Never heard of possible capodecina Charles Carlo before. Whenever I see Genovese lists there are a number of names I've never heard of.
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

According to Informant Nicola 'Diamond Dick' Traina was a Gambino. I wonder where JD got info that he was a Genovese.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

https://lcnbios.blogspot.com/2020/05/de ... -text.html

Fantastic post on the DeCavalcante family c December 1999
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

bn wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:41 pm According to Informant Nicola 'Diamond Dick' Traina was a Gambino. I wonder where JD got info that he was a Genovese.
Diamond Dick.. that's my nickname, interesting.