"NY 1839:" the FBI's first Mafia informant

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: "NY 1839:" the FBI's first Mafia informant

Post by sdeitche »

Great piece Ed.
richard_belding
Straightened out

Post by richard_belding »

Amazing work as always, Ed

Curious, was Joe Carlino of Vic Reisel fame a relative to Luchese member Charles Carlino? A Lagano crew member in the 1970s.
Ed
Straightened out

Post by Ed »

Thanks guys.

Charles Carlino did have a brother named Joseph, but he was unrelated to the "Joseph Carlino" in my article, who flipped.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

Excellent article! I really enjoyed it.
JoelTurner
Full Patched

Post by JoelTurner »

George White wasn’t just a random FBN agent. He was the man behind the government’s infamous LSD mind control program. In 1943, he administered his first dose to August Del Gracio, described as a notorious NYC gangster.

Also, early in 1943, Willie Moretti had a strange illness. They symptoms were described vaguely: he was talking big, making big bets, and having big ideas. Frank Costello sent him to California (he stayed at 23021 8th St, Newhall, CA) to recuperate even discouraging him from coming back later that summer.

I don’t know if White was connected to Moretti’s weird illness; it’s often stated as being syphilis but I feel like that was well known by the late ‘40s.
moneyman
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by moneyman »

JoelTurner wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:31 am George White wasn’t just a random FBN agent. He was the man behind the government’s infamous LSD mind control program. In 1943, he administered his first dose to August Del Gracio, described as a notorious NYC gangster.

Also, early in 1943, Willie Moretti had a strange illness. They symptoms were described vaguely: he was talking big, making big bets, and having big ideas. Frank Costello sent him to California (he stayed at 23021 8th St, Newhall, CA) to recuperate even discouraging him from coming back later that summer.

I don’t know if White was connected to Moretti’s weird illness; it’s often stated as being syphilis but I feel like that was well known by the late ‘40s.
I think I remember reading that George White bragged about giving mobsters LSD.. pretty crazy
davidf1989
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by davidf1989 »

Ed wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:06 am Angelo, Nash, I really appreciate the kind feedback.

David, Yes, Isabella talked before Scarpa. How much Isabella revealed is unclear. Although Villano wrote that he shared enough confidential information that the Bureau should have looked into it further but didn't for reasons unknown.
Thanks for your response and your hard work. Were there any informants in the New England area or was Vinnie Teresa the only one?