Gambino 1960's Chart (in progress)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

bn
Straightened out

Re: Gambino 1960's Chart (in progress)

Post by bn »

Charles Biondo died in 1960 and should not be on the chart
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

bn wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:17 pm Charles Biondo died in 1960 and should not be on the chart
Turns out that Charles Biondo´s true name was Salvatore Biondo (1909-Oct 1964) and was a brother of Joseph. So he should be on the chart.
There you have it, never printed before.
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

JD has him listed as dying in 1960 in his Gambino death list, not sure what his source was for that. No Salvatore Biondo listed in Oct 1964 in his list.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

They called him Charles but birth name was Salvatore. There is a passage in Biondo's file on him.
There you have it, never printed before.
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

Thanks HK :)
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

HairyKnuckles wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:14 am
Angelo Santino wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:19 am Having issues locating a Louis D´Agostino (Nov 3, 1908?), any more identifiers such as where he lived or when he died?
Angelo, I found this in the Mario Traina file that was posted up. I´m extremely thankful for this Nasabeak!

We are definitely getting closer!

Dagostini.png

This has to be him although DOB is not same. But it´s close enough:

Name: Luigi Dagostino
State of Issue: New York
Date of Birth: Monday November 23, 1908
Date of Death: December 1971
Est. Age at Death: 63 years

He was apparently related to Joseph Traina but I can not explain how exactly.
D'Agostino's father married Giuseppe Traina's mother after D'Agostino's mother and Traina's father died.
Sullycantwell
Straightened out

Post by Sullycantwell »

bn wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:56 pm
HairyKnuckles wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:14 am
Angelo Santino wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:19 am Having issues locating a Louis D´Agostino (Nov 3, 1908?), any more identifiers such as where he lived or when he died?
Angelo, I found this in the Mario Traina file that was posted up. I´m extremely thankful for this Nasabeak!

We are definitely getting closer!

Dagostini.png

This has to be him although DOB is not same. But it´s close enough:

Name: Luigi Dagostino
State of Issue: New York
Date of Birth: Monday November 23, 1908
Date of Death: December 1971
Est. Age at Death: 63 years

He was apparently related to Joseph Traina but I can not explain how exactly.
D'Agostino's father married Giuseppe Traina's mother after D'Agostino's mother and Traina's father died.
His son Louis was connected to empire yeast and listed as a salesman according to Traina's file which you posted. anyone know if Louis D'Agostino was made?
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

Louis 'Fat Louie' D'Agostino was made. Probably with the Traina Crew.
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

JoelTurner wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:10 pm What exactly was the succession among those Bronx/Westchester crews?

I know that Frank Scalise and Jimmy Jerome were captains before 1957 and that Scalise’s crew split

Frank Scalise -> Rocco Mazzie -> David Amodeo and Arthur Leo (Amodeo -> Angelone; Leo -> Napolitano & Rizzo)

Vincent Squillante -> Rocco Mazzie and Anthony Sedotto (Mazzie -> Zingaro (?) (Crew Remnants); Sedotto -> Zingaro (Crew Remnants)

? - Zingaro

That's what I have, might not be 100% accurate

Source for Sedotto-> Zingaro crew remnants is JD.

Mazzie is pure speculation on my part but James 'Jimmy Ward' Massi, Robert 'Fat Sonny' Guippone, Anthony 'Porky' Porcelli, and Mazzie himself were all together in narcotics in the 1960s. All four wound up under Zingaro by the 1980s.

Louis 'Louie The Gimp' Avitabile shows up briefly as a acting capo in the late 1960s. I believe he was acting for Joseph Zingaro.

Amodeo's guy/acting captain was John Angelone
Sedotto/Mascia crew doesn't fit Avitabile.
Giacomo Scarpulla (most likely) was acting for either Tony Napolitano or Francesco Rizzo.

Leaving Zingaro the only capo.
JoelTurner
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JoelTurner »

Thanks for the breakdown.

Where do Paul Gambino and Joe Gambino fit in?
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

Joseph Pompanello is probably referring to Joseph Pimpinella (1916 - 1967). I think he was Anthony (1919 - 1999)'s brother but I'm not sure.
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

JoelTurner wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:49 pm Thanks for the breakdown.

Where do Paul Gambino and Joe Gambino fit in?

Paul Gambino according to Santantonio was a button under Paul Castellano in 1963. In 1968 a high level informant (possibly Lombardozzi) ID'd Paul Gambino as a captain. It's difficult to say about Joe and Paul b/c we don't really know any made guy sunder either. My guess is that Paul may have been demoted and replaced by Joe, then perhaps Joe's crew was split with Paul sometime around 1963-1968. Both probably came from Carlo's crew.

I used to think Giacomo Scarpulla was acting for Paul Gambino in the 1960s. However the 68 informant stated that Giacomo was a acting captain and two guys under him were Vincenzo Casablanca and Giovanni Casablanca. These guys were formerly under Arthur Leo. Both Casablancas were East Harlem fellas and according to JD all East Harlems were under Francesco Rizzo or Anthony Napolitano (Thus my thinking that Scarpulla was acting for one of them.

There's one name informant said under Paul Gambino but that name is redacted. I'm trying to figure out who that is.
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

B. wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:54 pm I agree the ones blindly regarded as suspected don't need to be there.

- When Carmine Lombardozzi went to Baltimore for the Patsy Corbi funeral in the 1950s he said the Gambino Family had 50 members in Baltimore, way more than there could/should be, but the FBI may have confused it and he meant simply a large number of Gambino members from all over attended or he was including associates. The other informant's estimate of 11 members in the late 1960s makes sense to me and would indicate they may have had 15-20 members at their peak in the 1950s. Doesn't mean the chart needs to include all of the possibles though.

- LaFata and Malvaso are a judgment call because it was a non-member source who ID'd them as members, but the CI was Baltimore-based and knew the lay of the land. He wouldn't have been basing it off of criminal activity as the members had very little illegal activity going on (Joe N. Gallo had to take charge of criminal operations when he visited), mainly just running businesses/stores.

- LaFata was from Carini and it seems likely he was an older member, and the informant was very specific about Malvaso being inducted before the books closed. Again a judgment call for them, but at least Caronna, the Corbi brothers, Morici, and Tamburello were confirmed by member sources.

- Also, I see Edward Corbi on the chart -- haven't come across him as a member but an FBI report from June 1966 says he died sometime before that.
Lombardozzi doesn't appear to have been the only Gambino member who believed the Baltimore faction had 50 guys. Santantonio in his January 7, 1963 breakdown has a captain (FNU) with approximately 40-50 men under him. Note that this is not Traina or Lombardozzi. The only candidates (excluding others listed in the report) are:

Frank Perrone
Giuseppe Gambino
Patsy Conte
Frank Corbi

No doubt that the captain is Corbi. Perrone and Gambino's last names don't fit and I highly doubt that Conte had 40 - 50 guys, and that Santantonio didn't know his first name.

I wonder if it would be interesting to add Santantonio's crew size estimates into the chart.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Hmm, would have to see more context to know if he was referring to Corbi. I don't know when Morici stepped down but I thought it was after 1963 when Santantonio was cooperating. Unless there is more context it's hard to say that he was accurately recalling the unsub's name or who he was referring to.

A CI who identified Corbi as a Gambino "skipper" in the 1960s said he had about ten men under him which is more realistic.

The estimates these member CIs gave are interesting and sometimes informative but can also be wildly off. I think it would confuse things to include them on a chart in many cases unless the informant had special insight into the crew in question.
bn
Straightened out

Post by bn »

Here are Santantonio's estimates in case they might be considered on the chart:

1. Anthony Anastasio (35 men)
2. Joseph Colozzo (30 - 35 men)
3. Ettore Zappi (25 men)
4. Charles Dongarra (35 men)
5. Aniello Dellacroce (18 men)
6. Carmine Lombardozzi (40 men)
7. Alfred Eppolito (30 men)
8. Arthur Leo (30 men)
9. Joseph Paterno (35 men)
10. Pietro Stincone (10 'old' men)
11. David Amodeo (15 - 20 men)
12. Peter Ferrara (40 men)
13. Domenico Arcuri (20 men)
14. Gaetano Russo (9 men)
15. Olympio Garofalo (10 'old' men)
16. Paul Castellano (30 - 35 men)
17. Unknown (Prob. Morici; The "I"'s in Morici fit. The name is 5-6 letters) (40 - 50 men)
18. Giuseppe Traina (40 men)
19. Joseph Zingaro (20 men)
20. Rocco Mazzie (30 men)
21. Angelo Mascia (20 men)

Santantonio notes that Joseph Silesi was a captain but does not give a crew size estimate, but notes that all permanent Miami residences are under Silesi.