Gangland:2/4/16

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

moneyman
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Gangland:2/4/16

Post by moneyman »

I was just posting my general thoughts after reading the article. I respect Capeci a great deal, and I believe him when he says Barney is boss. It was not my intention to question Capeci's information. I'm sorry if it came off that way.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Wiseguy wrote:
B. wrote:
Wiseguy wrote: Except nothing on this most recent article says Bellomo "has been boss all along." If we look at it, as well as other articles over the past 6 years, him becoming official boss is a fairly recent change.
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "I was right! Wiseguy was wrong!" Only that there is no precedent for a stable family (in this case arguably THE most stable family) to go without a boss indefinitely, so it makes sense to me that the Genovese would eventually name a boss (and again, we don't know how long Bellomo has been boss nor if there were bosses between him and Gigante).
I think if there were official bosses from the time Gigante died in 2005 until whenever Bellomo assumed that position, we would have known about it. We've known about the leadership of the family during that time.

Chin dies in December 2005.

A year later, in December 2006, Danny Leo is identified as acting boss. He had been on the ruling panel previously. Of course, he's indicted not long afterward.

The June 2009 article mentions the rotating panel of Bellomo, Mangano, Muscarella, and Dentico.

Not long afterward, in September 2009, Fiumara is reported in another article to be on a 3 man ruling panel.

And as late as the February 2014 WSJ article, it was reported the family was believed to still be run by a ruling panel.

Obviously Bellomo has been one of the top guys all along. But I see no evidence he or anyone else assumed the official boss position before that WSJ article two years ago.
Yeah man, I agree there is no public evidence of a boss during that time, but I also can't make conclusions based on the absence of public evidence, either. I don't think anyone can confidently say that there was or wasn't a boss during that time unless a wiretap or member source confirms it.

Like I said, I take an agnostic approach to this stuff. Unless there is concrete support from multiple sources, I don't take anything as an absolute fact. In the absence of other facts, I look at historical precedent because this is still an organization rooted in tradition that, despite the way it has changed and evolved, is still closer to its original form than it is not, and we have seen many patterns repeat throughout different eras even when we strongly believe otherwise. But still, I don't know either way.

I consider you an absolute expert on organized crime and would dare anyone to disagree with me on that. However, I think we have a much different view of Cosa Nostra groups.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Snakes wrote:It wasn't used in the Family Secrets indictment, they only mentioned that some of the defendants were made.

"Each crew was run by a crew leader, also known as a street boss..."
http://www.ipsn.org/indictments/indictm ... ctment.htm
All roads lead to New York.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Well, yes, but not in the same context as it was used in the article. The indictment used it as another form of capo.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

how old is pete now,,just smoke screen by westside
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

He is 73.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Hailbritain
Full Patched

Post by Hailbritain »

Would love to know where Danny Leo and ernie muscarella fit into all this . Surely there not just soldiers now ?? If Falcetti is capo of the 116th street crew or part of it then either muscarella is a soldier or he is on the administration ??
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

Pogo The Clown wrote:He is 73.

Pogo
thank you.. i thought about 80, maybe still young enough
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Yet numerous local and federal law enforcement officials confirm that Barney Bellomo is the reigning boss of the powerful Genovese crime family while overseeing a lucrative empire of his own.

These sources say Bellomo earns substantial rental income every month from numerous apartment buildings worth millions of dollars that he owns in the Bronx and northern suburbs — where he still resides when he is not in his Miami Beach condo on Collins Avenue.

Bellomo also has financial interests in construction companies that he uses to repair and refurbish rundown apartment buildings he buys, the law enforcement sources say.
I think those apartment complexes are run through Agency Premier Group, which his son Salvatore oversees. Other sons, Liborio Jr and Michael, manage Optimus Installation.

Some on the forums have said Bellomo also owns a large building off the West Side Highway, as well as a strip mall in North Miami. Not sure if the Florida property is run by a company called JM Real Estate/Investment Enterprises. Others have said he also owns companies that leases heavy equipment (Acord Equipment Leasing?) and do sewer clearing. According to past articles he owned a waste hauling company at one point. His cousin, Liborio T Bellomo, runs Sigma Builders.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

bronx wrote:
Pogo The Clown wrote:He is 73.

Pogo
thank you.. i thought about 80, maybe still young enough
73 is middle aged by New York LCN standards
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

For sure...he looked 70 ..15 years ago!
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

I feel the need to clarify myself concerning wise guys comments pointed in my direction.

My understanding is that a street or acting boss acts on behalf of the official in making the required decisions as the official is unwilling or incapable of taking care of the day to day.
An underboss is merely a 'messengaro' or conduit between the capos and the boss for purposes of insulation.

The article clearly states DeChiara is a conduit for Bellamo and the captains. It mentions no decision or acting on behalf of Bellamo and stresses he is simply a go between.

This describes not an acting or street position, but an UB position precisely.

And I'm simply asking why the term street is being used when unless I'm incorrect in the above definitions, he's acting in precisely an UB capacity, not at all in an 'acting' capacity.

It's beyond me why, Wiseguy, this question is so confusing.
I'm not saying the Feds or Capeci are wrong. The terms used however simply don't match their descriptions of responsibility. I'm merely trying to clarify what appears to me, an inconsistency.

Another very interesting point raised but not addressed is the status of Muscarella.
Is it confirmed Falcetti is capo of 116th? Or could it possibly another crew?
Do we know the status of Gangi? Retired, separate crew, soldier?

Thanks in advance.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Being a go-between for the boss and captains is certainly one of the traditional roles of an underboss but I dont think that sums it all up. Depending on who and when, there's been those that oversaw specific wings of a family or even still had hands on oversight of their old crew. It varies. And, while the article said DiChiara is relaying messages, it didn't say that's all he's doing. Like I said, some of the duties will obviously overlap, but he's serving in an acting capacity, which is temporary by definition, while the underboss position is permanent until they die or step down.

It's my understanding that Falcetti is from the same crew as Bellomo, Muscarella, Nigro, etc. He was indicted as a captain back in 2013.

Gangi was captain of his crew before being indicted back in the early 2000s. Aparo and DiChiara both served as acting captains of that crew at one point before DiChiara eventually became official captain. Unless his was a break off crew, it would stand to reason that Gangi was a soldier after that.
Cheech
Full Patched

Post by Cheech »

Not for nothing, but PB posted most of this stuff years ago, on the boards and in private messages to myself and a few others, im sure. Everyone knows we are friends outside of the boards and i have never ever tooken what he has said and spit out as fact, as some are accused of. I will say everything he has told me has eventually come to fruition. he told me about the dichiara over a year ago being barneys guy. ive only known him to talk about what he knows. and its not in miami its in bal harbour. the apartments are on the west side.
back to your regularly scheduled programming.
and like that...he was gone
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

Thanks for your response WG.
The terms make more sense now if we presume DeChiara is actually 'acting' on Bellamo's behalf.

+1 Cheech.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.